• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

solo tame a greater dragon?

Saria of Atl

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with a tamer/mage template (no peacemaking), does anyone have success with this? if so, what is your strategy? and where?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wear armour that maxes out your resist, a bit of HP regen is handy though I don't usually remember it.

I don't have patience to mess around with honor so all I do with GDs is invis tame. Precast invis then land it on yourself as you run up to the dragon's feet, so you get right up close and he's not chewing you up. Then hold down the tame last key while you walk away from the draggy once he notices you. Watch your health at this stage! I sometimes dart out to heal up, the trick is knowing when you need to break out. Once you start a tame attempt, invis yourself so the draggy leaves you alone for a sec. I've been known to invis then heal then invis while the tame attempt is going on. Some folks do different variations of this method, but that's more or less what I do ;)

Make sure you have macros set up to heal and invis yourself and one to just cast invis so you can hit "target self" when you need to. Don't make it harder for yourself by only having an invis spell macro and having to target yourself each time. GDs don't play gentle lol.

For your first time, try the fire island temple spawn and pull the dragon right out of there. I look for wandering healers first, then lead the dragon close to them. Then if there are any casualties, it's a short run :D

Wenchy

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i just copy the link to a post (that's still visible at the end of the tame-forum) : my answer is the last one posted there...but guess u can read the whole post.
Taming a GD | Stratics Forums

ps. about the heal/invis strategy imo...isn't that good...almost always he reveals u and he keep hitting ya...yea possible...but too slow imo.

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The invis casting is not intended to keep you hidden - words of power reveal you if the dragon doesn't. The aim is to break target so the dragon forgets about you for a second. It takes some of the fire off your backside, which is more useful if the dragon has healed back up a bit from beating it down and is burning a hole in your pants. It's the alternative to standing their and being BBQ'd :D

Wenchy

Saria of Atl

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for your great feedback! I actually did tame my first greater dragon! I had a little bit of honor saved up, so just for curiosity's sake I honored myself and bought about 30 seconds worth of immunity. somehow, that was enough to tame a GD in one lucky attempt. part of me feels like I "cheated" by using honor, though, as I've always been a lead tamer. anyhow, the one I got is just below par as far as stats go, so I'll be in the taming game again soon. and I'd like to try it without using honor.

krilov, I actually found that thread shortly after I posted this one, and found it to be very helpful. my one question is, why did you mention to also use a weapon? without one, am I more likely to hit him (making him too angry to continue taming)? I've been out of the game for 5 years, so please excuse the silly questions. :)

wenchy, after invising at the GD's feet and then hitting your tame macro, do you wait to invis again until after you've started a successful taming attempt? or do you throw it in there every now and then with your "you seem to anger the beast"'s?

thanks again, all!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saria, I tend to wait until I start an attempt before I invis, basically I hold the tame last key down to spam the tame attempts and focus on keeping just out of bite range ;) You can move a little bit further away once you start a tame attempt, which gives you room to cast invis without being interrupted by a bite. You can still get interrupted, but once I start a tame on a GD I just move ahead of it a bit, cast the invis and repeat cast as much as I can till I'm done. I tend to invis more if I see the drag heal back up, because then he's going to do more damage to you while you tame. Beating it down again is kinda pointless if it's going to heal back up. So I invis more. I've met a few GDs who like to play a game with me - I beat them down, they chain heal then beat me down lol.

Wenchy

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@saria..... i never talked about weapons and i agree with what u said about it...but i guess few folks around still use them for a lil more dci...bonus...something like even 1 hand weapon like a slow mace with -20mage & some dci onto it... and well hitting a gd with 140 wrest shouldn't be so easy ...but again...time to time i bet u'll end hitting him..so it looks like more a waste (of time ...mainly cuz u're taming will be interrupted) than a real bonus...for trying to avoid a couple of melee hits.Maybe i would try something like that...just while facing hiruys....their dbl hit can be a pain if u dont pay attention but...again..it's just a matter of training....once u get the rythm....u really need nothing but your taming skill and good hp+resists.

ps. grats for the gd! ....and good luck

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't know, solo lead taming a greater dragon without using honour or area peace is one of the most fun things you can do in actual taming. It takes practice, a good suit and skills to heal through the dragon trying to bbq you and blow you up. If you can get off an invis, that can make things a lot easier, but that doesn't always work - and of course sometimes the dragon does win... :) Oh ya, you also need to lead your dragon away to an area with little or no spawn to interfere with your battle for mastery...

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can have stone form with 100+ magic resist, lead taming is definitely possible solo if you have pots

Items with 30% Fire Eater would help so if you hear the breath coming, you can run out of range and eater will give health after 3 seconds once you run far enough.

Last edited:

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honor Tame, I kill Ballies in Fel to gain honor up to Knight and you get like 3 minutes of taming time with out them even looking to bite your head off.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I used to solo tame Greater Dragons all the time, with no Honor, peace, invis or beatdowns. It's actually pretty easy, so long as you have the movement rhythm down. Just keep spamming tame attempts while walking and maintaining distance from his melee, spam mini heals to heal through the damage, and when you hear him start to roar, get a Greater Heal ready. Orange Petals help too when he does that nasty Firebreath+Poison combo.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Solo taming greater dragons, without honour or peace, is about the most fun that you can have taming anything in UO. The only thing that comes close is the rune beetle, but they are pretty easy stuff by comparison. :)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty easy actually. Bring a pet and get the health down of the GD to about 4-8%. That way his breath attack alsmost does no damage. Also he's flying around rather aimless than chasing you. If he's chasing you, he's a tad slower as when on full health. Then send back the pet and start to tame. If his health raises to 12%, cast some spells to damage him a bit. This way you can easily tame a GD even naked (would need regs to cast then though :p) and without to farm honor. You just have to be careful not to kill him. Just keep his health low...

Last edited:

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
D'oh - I missed the "no" in front of your peacemaking. This is re: peace-taming. Sorry! But I'll leave it in case any bards look for a solo gdrag how-to!

I've posted this in a few places, so you might find it elsewhere, but I plain-ol' peace-tame them. 120 peace/120 music with jewels. Use a dragon slayer instrument if possible, but don't bother trying to direct-peace them. The failure rate is too high. Area peace will almost always work, though it only buys you a handful of seconds.

I like to do tame in the clearing south of the Daemon Temple on the Isle of Fire, but I've done it in Destard as well (preferably away from spawn).

I have an area-peace macro set (ie. use peace skill on yourself).

Find a dragon and lure it out to the clearing, then area-peace near it. Walk up to the dragon and when the music stops (ie. your skill timer resets), start spamming your tame macro. You'll get 5-10 hits in (mostly failures). As soon as the dragon takes a step towards you, hit the area peace macro again.

Regroup and retry.

Once you get a successful tame attempt, you'll lead-tame the dragon, walking forward while he angrily follows you. In the time it takes to either succeed or fail at the tame attempt, you'll usually take 1 fire breath. (G-drags do 100% physical damage so make sure your armor suit is maxed out on phys resist). If you fail to tame the dragon, immediately hit the area peace key. Heal up if necessary and start again.

If you succeed, voila.

It took me about a week of dying to get the timing of the macros down, but now that I have it, it's fairly easy and I rarely die. If you get into a situation where the dragon is pounding on you, just area peace and run away.

Area peace gives just enough time to get into position and hit macros. It's not a long peace like directly peacing a creature, but direct peace often fails on high level monsters like g-drags. Having a dragon slayer instrument helps.

I like this way because I don't need to worry about honor points or really anything... it's all skill based. And there's a little bit of adrenaline involved to keep it interesting.

Last edited:

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
45 DCI +
Mage Weapon
70 Resie white Protection

Must have basic +120 Skill !!

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spellweaving Ethereal Voyage... Gives you about a minute of immunity as well with 120 and a level 6 focus.

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just use Monster Ignore... but alas, unless you play Siege Perilous, you do not have MI.