• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Solo chaos or unbound vortex in shame?

madmack

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all, I am curious to see if anyone has attempted a chaos or unbound vortex solo in shame without discord as a tamer? I've been slaying wind elementals with a rune/mare combo and they go down in under a minute.

Going to try the bigger baddies tonight and wondered if anyone has had success with those. Thanks!

P

pgib

I did the unbound and the crazed mage with a gd. Very boring. Very. Take friends, strangers, enemies.. anyone you can... too boring.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
yes I have done a few of them looooong and boooooring! With a sampire you can do them 4 or 5 times faster with out disco even

E

elspeth

I killed an unbound vortex with a cu. Easy but definitely not fast.

A

Aldredge

Haven't played for a long time and was curious about these whats the stats on them? Roughly how hard do they hit?

Do they have a aoe damage like wither or straight tank and spank?

P

pgib

The unbound energy vortex teleports people to himself, the crazed mage has some mana corruption thing that i have no idea what kind of penalty creates, a weak area damage effect that makes him retarget and a pretty strong fireball and the chaos vortex... well i don't know, i did it once with a group of tamers and didn't noticed anything.

They all have a trillion hit points and the resistance set of an antiaircraft bunker but the nastiest ability they all share is the real life mass-sleep spell: if you don't pay attention you may actually fall asleep while fighting them.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^^This^^^ I'd rather watch paint dry than solo any of them on a tamer. I value my time too much to sit around waiting for these billion hit point critters to go down to a pet.

K

Kralock

a tamer with a good greater a elemental slayer book and spell weaving takes about 5 to 7 min to kill an unbounded EV, the chaos is longer as it hurts more so more vetting and less casting, plus it corrupts your mana

K

Kralock

I am not a mage with a pet. I am a char that has 720 skill points plus whatever I can fit on items to make whatever I can to do whatever I can, we don't have per say classes im UO, but I use pets and I rez pets, I got 110 taming and lore, how am i not a tamer? Like saying my sampire is not a warrior. :p

P

pgib

There is nothing wrong in being a mage-tamer, a warrior-tamer or anything else if we want to call those "tamers", it is just that when the main source of damage is not your pet you're not a proper tamer anymore, in the same sense as a sampire is not a pure warrior - but still a warrior.

Of course in the current state of game there is nothing else you can do but point toward these something-tamer lifestyles because anything outdamage any pet combination you can come out with but there used to be more to taming than skillpoints, unfortunately that lore has been buried deep under ages of... well, "unwise" design choices.

K

Kralock

correct me if I am wrong, but tamers have always been mixed with other skills, I can use a combo of pets that out damages my mage skill, its just that who is tankin? me? I think not.

I know something has to take the damage that I cannot, in the day we did not have super hard mobs, so we did not need super tanky dragons.

Anybody using a tamer should also be good with other skills, even with herding, you have room for something.

Any way, who just vets and does nothing else, if you mean the skill of controlling the pets, its not skill, but messed up AI, and got to love the pet balls that don't work anywhere you may need to use one.

I have pets with 600+ int that are as dumb as a box of rocks. So yes I got to be a better mage to make up for my pets horrible AI.

Way off topic, but a long time ago, my characters where hugely imbalanced, as of now, I make trade offs but all of them are quite effective.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is nothing wrong in being a mage-tamer, a warrior-tamer or anything else if we want to call those "tamers", it is just that when the main source of damage is not your pet you're not a proper tamer anymore, in the same sense as a sampire is not a pure warrior - but still a warrior.

Of course in the current state of game there is nothing else you can do but point toward these something-tamer lifestyles because anything outdamage any pet combination you can come out with but there used to be more to taming than skillpoints, unfortunately that lore has been buried deep under ages of... well, "unwise" design choices.
Let's just stop the "proper tamer" thing now, please. I suspect it won't end we if we start labeling members of our community as "proper" or "not-so-proper" using that sort of criteria.

There is nothing new about tamers who aren't reliant on pets as a main damage source, and it certainly doesn't make you less of a tamer. It was never written in the rules that once you tame a pet you have to stand behind it and let it do most of the work. In fact, we promise to take care of our pets, they don't promise to take care of us. So it could be argued that if we're the carers, it's better if we're stronger than our pets, rather than the other way round :)

It's also a really hard line to draw - tamers these days change their templates and tactics all the time. So I just don't see the point in making that distinction.

Wenchy

P

pgib

Maybe classic was a better word than "proper" but i made it clear that it was not a demotion, it's a difference between the "ranger", of all mmporgs, and the "tamer", unique of UO: the pet is the companion of the ranger, the tamer is the companion of the pet.

Or as we Lizardmen say:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's just not something you can really say though - templates and playstyles change so quickly and easily now, you can be one tamer in the morning and something totally different in the afternoon. The same mage can go from relying on his pets to opening up a spellbook and out-damaging them even mid fight. The same character can be whatever you want instantly. And that's not a new thing, long before soulstones my main tamer started out as a RPer/PvPer and PvMer. Quite often she was all 3 at one time depending what was happening.

I've always been more of a RPer with pets, but I'm sure all RP tamers have varying ideas about their owner/pet relationship. So I dunno, I think it's a hard label to pin on a tamer, even if you just look at one group of the community.

Wenchy

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all, I am curious to see if anyone has attempted a chaos or unbound vortex solo in shame without discord as a tamer? I've been slaying wind elementals with a rune/mare combo and they go down in under a minute.

Going to try the bigger baddies tonight and wondered if anyone has had success with those. Thanks!
I kill the burning/insane mages with a disco tamer, with spellweave, and it helps. Especially in wraith form at the end for 10 or so spammed WoD's.

For the Unbound, check out the post on the warrior forum by lynk, titled My newest Sampire. There is a link to his video at the beginning of the post that is very interesting to watch. I can solo an Unbound EV in a little over 3 minutes. I use a similar template to what he's posted but not exactly.

A

Aldredge

Would you have to use a medium strength pet for these? More trying to see if a pack of frenzies could kill them or not. Sounds like the mage is a no go for the pack but the what about the other two?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would you have to use a medium strength pet for these? More trying to see if a pack of frenzies could kill them or not. Sounds like the mage is a no go for the pack but the what about the other two?
You can, you just need something to tank damage.

If you use 5 frenzies, maybe go into protection/stone form and cleansing yourself while the frenzied just own.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But you're not a tamer anymore, you're a mage with a pet.
Eh...you do realize that Tamer/Mages were the ORIGINAL Tamer "template", right? Hell, both of my Tamer's templates have barely changed since 1997/1998, and they still work more than fine. All that's changed is that one of them went to 120 Taming and 120 Lore and dropped Resist to 80 once PS came out, and the other Tamer went up to 110 Taming/110 Lore without dropping anything due to the "new" 720 skillpoint cap.

Tamer 1
120.0 Taming
120.0 Lore
GM Vet
GM Magery
GM Eval
GM Med
80.0 Resist

Tamer 2
110.0 Taming (115.0 with Talisman)
110.0 Lore (115.0 with Talisman)
GM Vet
GM Magery
GM Eval
GM Med
GM Resist

Both wield Swords of Prosperity for -0 Mage Wep and Luck, in order to avoid having a 97% chance of being hit when Taming.