• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So you want a classic shard?

G

Gunga_Din

This is how its gonna work.

(1) Nobody should use scripts of any kind. Not to train, not to mine , not to PVP. If you are planning on doing it on the classic shard, then you will just destroy the whole point of having it.

(2) Gold Sellers, the websites that sell **** etc, they are gonna have to respect the shard and leave it alone. I don't give a **** if you make your living off UO. If a classic shard comes out, you must not interfere in anyway.

So those are the 2 things that must not happen if a classic shard is released. Are people gonna honor that? Are the websites gonna honor that? I don't know. My plea is that they leave the classic shard as is. Otherwise, it won't work.

This is all hypothetical of course, but did all those people voting for a classic shard think about all this?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Agreed. But I think that more people oppose the practices mentioned above than you might think. ;)

W

Woodsman

(2) Gold Sellers, the websites that sell **** etc, they are gonna have to respect the shard and leave it alone. I don't give a **** if you make your living off UO. If a classic shard comes out, you must not interfere in anyway.
Gold sellers will go where the money is. That's always been a problem with UO. As long as there is real cash to be made, they are going to be involved in any way they can and they are going to try and do it as cheaply as they can - scripts/farming/etc.

Every time I see a rune or book that has the label/title of a gold-selling site, I relabel the rune or toss the book in the nearest trashcan, but the reality is that it's so ingrained in UO, that it would require EA to do something about it, and I doubt they will. I can toss every book I find with a gold-selling site, and there will be more books scattered around within an hour or two.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

(1) Nobody should use scripts of any kind. Not to train, not to mine , not to PVP. If you are planning on doing it on the classic shard, then you will just destroy the whole point of having it.

So those are the 2 things that must not happen if a classic shard is released. Are people gonna honor that? Are the websites gonna honor that? I don't know. My plea is that they leave the classic shard as is. Otherwise, it won't work.
The thing is though that the people doing the two things mentioned above don´t really care about other players so asking those people to not do it will unfortunately accomplish nothing...

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why are Classic shard threads being moved to Spiels and Rants?

Cal made them a topic for legitimate forum discussion with his State of the Game 2010 post on Feb 11 last year. If it was ok for Cal to encourage discussion of a Classic shard and participate in these discussions the whole of last year, it should be ok now too.

G

Gunga_Din

The thing is though that the people doing the two things mentioned above don´t really care about other players so asking those people to not do it will unfortunately accomplish nothing...
I'm asking nicely. If a classic shard is produced and I see any sites selling gold for it, I'll do what I can to end that party. A classic shard would be considered sacred in my book. Mess with it and you will start a Holy War. This is not a threat....its a warning. Don't mess with the Gunga or I WILL END YOU !!

B

Beer_Cayse

Actually of 2 places I am playing one does forbid any scripting/macroing except by the client itself. The other allows a program which is not EA-approved for use, but only that one. <shrug>

I learned UO with the client macros ... am relearning it again. Should I return to EA-land, UOA will not be on my system ... I'm getting pretty decent w/client macros again!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Just give it up. If you want a Classic Shard, you are going to have to get it elsewhere. Cancel your account(s), and join one of the freeshards. It is the only way you will get what you want.

@ certain mods: Don't come at me with the whole negativity/trolling thing over this post. There are at least half a dozen posters here that have told me to do the EXACT SAME THING recently, and their posts remain.

F

Fayled Dhreams

My plea is that they leave the classic shard as is. Otherwise, it won't work.
*ahem*

I would point out ... THEY as in EA etal ... ARE "leaving the shard as is"

a topic better to have left dead and buried ...
*ahem*

(pending further announcements to the contrary ... it IS still a deadhorse topic with amazing "yes we can" trollbait written allll over it)

As for the recent ( as noted ) Flavor for PROMOTING / advising joining freeshards ...

tsk tsk ... y'all have no honor ... :danceb:

B

Beer_Cayse

Agreed. And I have done just that ... I killed EA-based accounts and play elsewhere. I hang here only in the hope some dimbulb in the EA foodchain will wake up and at least give it a chance.

A

azrael1982

Hello fellow players,

I used to play UO a long time ago. Basically in 1998 and 1999. Back then I encountered many issues, such as terrible lags (especially if you had lived in Europe then) and, mainly due to my previous point, rampant PKing. Ultima Online was NOT a game for me. It stood above this term, it meant almost a second life to me.

At the beginning of my UO gameplay, I felt kind of lost. No comprehensive hint sites were available and, besides, my English was quite horrible at that time (I’m Polish, I was 16-17 then). I would die a lot, yet I wouldn’t feel like quitting. Why was it so ? My answer is the following: ultimate player experience. If you were willing to survive, you would have sticked around with other players. If you wanted to solve your impending issues (lore), you would have asked some vets about it. You don’t quit … a second life, unless you’re extremely infuriated or don’t have time to indulge yourself in it.

Some time passed, new duties emerged. I had to quit. However, happily nothing lasts forever – I settled down and decided to return to UO in 2009. You know, I felt like: “Gosh! This is gonna be great ! I will play UO again, after so many years…”. I logged in and …. I pondered: “Where’s everyone ? I chose Europa and there are NO players at the Brit bank ? What the heck ?” Soon I became disillusioned by:

1. The overall lack of players (apart from Luna bank… then?). If you believe, that there are approx 50 000 active accounts nowadays (2011), then you’re in high spirits perhaps.
2. So many new items, so many new continents to explore. It got so sophisticated, that I couldn’t comprehend it within few months period of time.
3. Single player game play. No one needs others to “milk some cash” out of the monsters. There were some exceptions, albeit mainly concerning RP players.

Maybe AOS period wasn’t that bad after all. It introduced the game as more item based. The key word is EXAGGERATION here – the game became too complex within few years time. For instance, SE expansion stood for something redundant to me.

Yet another idea of mine concerns the general approach of the mods team on this forum. Why do you bash people for TALKING (NOT ranting) about classic shard possibility / good old days ?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yet another idea of mine concerns the general approach of the mods team on this forum. Why do you bash people for TALKING (NOT ranting) about classic shard possibility / good old days ?
Hi. You must be new. There are literally dozens and dozens of classic shard discussions in UHall. Please use the search feature to find them.

I've been using forums since usenet. The moderators on this forum are among the most lenient that I've come across. Because this is your first post in a year and a half, I would like to recommend that you kindly take some time to familiarize yourself with our moderators prior to making judgements. Thank you.

A

azrael1982

Hello,

I've been reading these forums since 2009. Indeed, I haven't logged in for a great deal of time, yet it doesn't mean, that I don't read these forums (I've read all the classic shard threads thoroughly by the way). I just don't understand, why such posts are redirectied into rants section ?

Regards,

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speaking from personal experience, it was probably moved (I wasn't the one who sent it here) because UHall can be a bit more volatile crowd than SnR is for the most part. It's rare that classic shard threads don't degenerate into a group pancake session or people complaining about cheaters & scripters when left in UHall. This one might have been moved to prevent that.

Also, the topic of this thread isn't exactly something that will lead to a productive thread. It's really just one poster's hopes of how a classic shard will run, despite the fact that it would be very difficult (nearly impossible) to enforce his conditions with 100% success.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Furthermore, I do not see any moderators bashing the OP in this thread. I was the only moderator who commented and I agreed with the OP.

Anira Cuilwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello fellow players,

I used to play UO a long time ago. Basically in 1998 and 1999. Back then I encountered many issues, such as terrible lags (especially if you had lived in Europe then) and, mainly due to my previous point, rampant PKing. Ultima Online was NOT a game for me. It stood above this term, it meant almost a second life to me.

At the beginning of my UO gameplay, I felt kind of lost. No comprehensive hint sites were available and, besides, my English was quite horrible at that time (I&rsquo;m Polish, I was 16-17 then). I would die a lot, yet I wouldn&rsquo;t feel like quitting. Why was it so ? My answer is the following: ultimate player experience. If you were willing to survive, you would have sticked around with other players. If you wanted to solve your impending issues (lore), you would have asked some vets about it. You don&rsquo;t quit &hellip; a second life, unless you&rsquo;re extremely infuriated or don&rsquo;t have time to indulge yourself in it.

Some time passed, new duties emerged. I had to quit. However, happily nothing lasts forever &ndash; I settled down and decided to return to UO in 2009. You know, I felt like: &ldquo;Gosh! This is gonna be great ! I will play UO again, after so many years&hellip;&rdquo;. I logged in and &hellip;. I pondered: &ldquo;Where&rsquo;s everyone ? I chose Europa and there are NO players at the Brit bank ? What the heck ?&rdquo; Soon I became disillusioned by:

1. The overall lack of players (apart from Luna bank&hellip; then?). If you believe, that there are approx 50 000 active accounts nowadays (2011), then you&rsquo;re in high spirits perhaps.
2. So many new items, so many new continents to explore. It got so sophisticated, that I couldn&rsquo;t comprehend it within few months period of time.
3. Single player game play. No one needs others to &ldquo;milk some cash&rdquo; out of the monsters. There were some exceptions, albeit mainly concerning RP players.

Maybe AOS period wasn&rsquo;t that bad after all. It introduced the game as more item based. The key word is EXAGGERATION here &ndash; the game became too complex within few years time. For instance, SE expansion stood for something redundant to me.

Europa has lot of players but they are just not bank sitting as you are used to ;) most are spread out around the world :)

A

azrael1982

Europa has lot of players but they are just not bank sitting as you are used to ;) most are spread out around the world :)
I'm not a townie. :) I prefer wilderness, in fact. :)

Your last statement is bound with my opinion about the total landmass available to players... to some extent.