• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So this is how the Republic ends... With thunderous applause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good evening fellow Ultima enthusiasts. I'm sure you have seen the rest of the UO staff slowly start trickling out. I want to let you know this has NOTHING to do with the state of the game. Those leaving left for their own reasons, which if they have not made public, I will not do so. Please do not take this as UO going down. Mesanna and the rest of the UO team have many more years of content planned!

With that being said. I want to wish you all the fondest of farewells. It is with heavy heart, but clear conscience, that I leave these boards. When I came on under duress by Airmid many years ago as a lowly Lake Superior shard mod, I had no idea the community here. Over the years I have grown to know, admire, respect, and love many people here, both staff and community member. I like to think the year I served as Technical Director was the smoothest these boards and the Stratics sites overall ever ran. I wish you all safe journeys, and the fondest of farewells a man can wish.

See you all in game, and elsewhere.

Your friend,

Mark (Shamus Turlough) Piper Jr.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good evening fellow Ultima enthusiasts. I'm sure you have seen the rest of the UO staff slowly start trickling out. I want to let you know this has NOTHING to do with the state of the game. Those leaving left for their own reasons, which if they have not made public, I will not do so. Please do not take this as UO going down. Mesanna and the rest of the UO team have many more years of content planned!

With that being said. I want to wish you all the fondest of farewells. It is with heavy heart, but clear conscience, that I leave these boards. When I came on under duress by Airmid many years ago as a lowly Lake Superior shard mod, I had no idea the community here. Over the years I have grown to know, admire, respect, and love many people here, both staff and community member. I like to think the year I served as Technical Director was the smoothest these boards and the Stratics sites overall ever ran. I wish you all safe journeys, and the fondest of farewells a man can wish.

Your friend,

*sighs a deep sigh*

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Safe journeys Shamus, it was a pleasure to get to know you along with all of the rest of the staff.

I bid thee farewell

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Well said my friend! well said! I shall see you all soon!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sadly I'll say this.... without Stratics is IS the END of UO. As without a way to voice things to the DEV's you may as well close the game as the players will only leave in frustration... Nuff said there.

As for the rats abandoning the ship I do hope I'm wrong in my thinking... but if I am or not we'll have to wait and see. But as it stands Stratics is the only voice we have. Since I don't know about anyone else but seems to me that any email sent goes into some black hole.... and is never responded to in any fashion.... so Stratics is about all there is. For now.

Queen Mum

Crazed Zealot
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am afraid to open anymore 'staff' posts ...
Although I know it has no reflection on UO the game, it still is hard, and sad, to see such trusted and respected 'family' step away from the 'comfort zone' I have grown to hold dear to my heart ... :(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am afraid to open anymore 'staff' posts ...
Although I know it has no reflection on UO the game, it still is hard, and sad, to see such trusted and respected 'family' step away from the 'comfort zone' I have grown to hold dear to my heart ... :(
I guess I'm of the opinion that perhaps a "changing of the guard" as it were or is might be a good thing. Sometimes it's good to have "new/fresh" blood. We'll see. Sad to see some go yes.... but some weren't playing UO anyway. So really what was their point if they didn't know what was really happening anyway.

Suppose we'll just have to wait and see. I'm hoping it'll be a step forward...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's not a Rat....

That's a Rat actually a pair of them.
Personally I'm a spider and cat person... Rats have those beady little redish eyes that really bother me and maybe it's their tail.... or that bulbus thing near their tail I find so disgusting that makes me not like them.... or the fact that they carry a bunch of plagues to people and are responsible for the deaths of more people than even the dreaded mosquito... and all it's viruses...... I don't know...

Rather prefer spiders and cats.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

Your friend,

*HANDS ICE CREEMS CONE*

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Personally I'm a spider and cat person... Rats have those beady little redish eyes that really bother me and maybe it's their tail.... or that bulbus thing near their tail I find so disgusting that makes me not like them.... or the fact that they carry a bunch of plagues to people and are responsible for the deaths of more people than even the dreaded mosquito... and all it's viruses...... I don't know...

Maybe rats in the wild, one's you get from the pet store, they have a lower potential to carry diseases that can transfer from pet to person than a dog or a cat, as they are less likely to come in contact with outside sources. Also out of all the small animal pets, Rats are the least likely to bite.

But yea some people can't get past the tail or the eyes, but as far as behavior they aren't much different than a puppy, they'll even lick you to show affection.

Oh and that bulbous thing near their tails... that's only on the males....

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Have you met our EM Falcon on Lake Superior. :spider:She's got a thing about pink spiders. You would get along great with her!

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please forgive my OCD...I am a bit of a Star Wars fan and the quote is actually "So this is how liberty dies?...with thunderous applause." Which I hate to say is extremely more foreboding in this context.

I did not know any of the people who are leaving personally but I commend the work you have done and wish you well nonetheless. I pray that even though you are not continuing in an official capacity that your travels through Sosaria have not likewise ended. I hope to meet all of you around a tavern table and share a tankard of ale one day.

Cheers!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not a big star wars fan... But one of my favorite movie quotes!

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I am no rat. The ship is not sinking. The ship will merely have a new crew and perhaps a new course.
We know you're not a "rat", Kelmo. I just think some of us might be concerned that the "new course" for Stratics may turn out to be the dimming of UO's light on this site if it takes a backseat to other games. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

Akalabeth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you for leaving us with such wonderful assurances. :) You will all be missed. Goodbye and Good Luck in whatever you do!!

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Your friend,

I am not good at all these subtle hints, so I'll just ask! I was not thinking that UO was in any trouble until you said it but now I am wondering if Stratics is dropping UO? All these sudden leavings and talk of new directions? What does it mean!!? GAH! Can some one fill me in :confused2::confused2:

Edit: OK well apparently there are even MORE leavings than I was aware of after having read posts further down. Flutter did post in one of them with somewhat encouraging words..I guess. Flutter it might be a good idea to make that post it's own thread??

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of us are still going to pester you for tech support, just so you know! You'll be missed Shamus, you did a grand job keeping the bits and bytes in order. Safe travels :)

Wenchy

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly I'll say this.... without Stratics is IS the END of UO. As without a way to voice things to the DEV's you may as well close the game as the players will only leave in frustration... Nuff said there.
I'll disagree that without Stratics UO would end. That's a little over the top. Even now, it's only a small percentage of people who play UO that frequent Stratics. There are other fan sites or maybe someone else would start up something to replace stratics. And don't say no one or nothing can replace stratics. Because it can. IMO, the only reason stratics is popular as it is, is because the Devs chose to post here. If they were active on another board, that one would be the main UO forum.

As always, the communication from the Devs has been less than desirable, but it's been that way in UO for a long time now.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am not good at all these subtle hints, so I'll just ask! I was not thinking that UO was in any trouble until you said it but now I am wondering if Stratics is dropping UO? All these sudden leavings and talk of new directions? What does it mean!!? GAH! Can some one fill me in :confused2::confused2:

Edit: OK well apparently there are even MORE leavings than I was aware of after having read posts further down. Flutter did post in one of them with somewhat encouraging words..I guess. Flutter it might be a good idea to make that post it's own thread??
Stratics is absolutely not dropping UO.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll disagree that without Stratics UO would end. That's a little over the top. Even now, it's only a small percentage of people who play UO that frequent Stratics. There are other fan sites or maybe someone else would start up something to replace stratics. And don't say no one or nothing can replace stratics. Because it can. IMO, the only reason stratics is popular as it is, is because the Devs chose to post here. If they were active on another board, that one would be the main UO forum.

As always, the communication from the Devs has been less than desirable, but it's been that way in UO for a long time now.
I know there are other fansites... I used to visit one or two. However this is where you find the DEV's and don't know about anyone else but lately my experience with trying to EMail them has been less than stellar.

And anymore the community can not afford to be in the dark in regards to communication. Times change.... the time for being all hush, hush and never saying anything in a world of open communication where there are new ways to communicate and people tend to want to be more informed are over. It's time to step up the communication. They talk big about wanting to draw from the community and how they want to bring the community together and all.... well then they ought to lead by example and start opening the lines of communication more. Ask our input on things. We love the game every bit as much as they do otherwise we wouldn't still be here 17 years later... Some of us have been here longer than most all the DEV's. Some of us know more about UO and Ultima Lore than many of them.

Was nice to see British back on Sosarian soil so to speak... But I've come to accept our fate and Blackthorn as King.

I'd like to see things continue for a good long while but this is a bad time to be in the dark and unable to reach the DEV's. There is a new publish in the works and without proper forums no way to give feedback on what is or isn't working.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay folks, we will be moving forward now. You are more than welcome to send Shamus a PM if you have anything to share with him.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shamus, your genius has often went over my head. I have tried to absorb as much as I could, but I am sure only a fraction of your intelligence and information has sunk in. It would be impossible for the community to fathom the loss of you, your judgment, knowledge and hard work. Thank you for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.