• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So if you listened to the TownHall, what is your opinion?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
do you feel it was a good information exchange?
Any news that you felt worth the time/effort/money spent to do it?

Please discuss :)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
listened for a bit, read the notes by Dermott on UHall, and I didn't see a release date for publish 56... did I miss it or they don't have one yet?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I understood they intended to have Halloween before Halloween, so if its part of 56, I guess its coming "shortly" *grins*
Hopefully, anyway

N

NewThunder

I was not overly impressed; the lack of details they are willing to provide erodes their credibility. Clearly they will not be putting boxes on store shelves; so how else do they attract new players?

L

Lord Urza

I was not overly impressed; the lack of details they are willing to provide erodes their credibility. Clearly they will not be putting boxes on store shelves; so how else do they attract new players?

I think that is so stupid not to sell there product in stores.
Never made any sense to me.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that was questioned, Lord Urza, and the little bit of it that I caught (and that I can remember this morning ;) ) went something like "it is not cost effective for the retailers to keep them on the shelves, they make more money from console games"

personally, if I were EA/Mythic, it would occur to me that I got a fair bit of clout in the gaming industry...... "Well, Mr GameStop, if you need a supply of Madden '09 it will come bundled with our fantastic new version of Ultima Online" ...... something along those lines ... but there's probably laws against such strongarm tactics, isn't there?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's ways they could do it, if they wanted to. I mean really, come on, how stupid do they think we are?
*thinks*
The old washed up rock groups are releasing new material, and releasing it to chains as sole distributors, Guns and Roses, and I think Ac/DC, are releasing cds, one will ahve WalMart as exclusive distributor, and one will have Best Buy as distributor. You would think Mythic's marketing dept, whoever he is, could swing something along those lines, even if it was with 7-11 ;)

It's the lack of interest and who cares attitude, ya know? and let's be ugly and realistic here, a box on the shelves might bring in 100k subs, and then what will happen?
We can't even keep an event moving now, can't keep up with anniversaries and holidays now, why the hell do they want another 100k people on here bitchin at em?

Personally, I think they should do a box. Cloth map, maybe bundle in cds with the original ultimas on em, the pendant and keychains from before, whatever. They're worried no one will buy it, but they probably gonna want $49.99 for the online download of SA anyway...so make the box higher, we will still buy, just to have to goodies.

In spite of what Jeremy says, this crew, to me, actually acts like they are afraid to grow UO for some reason.

/rant

N

NewThunder

I agree with Jeremy that retail shelves may not be available, she is dead on about PC games being a very low priority in retail stores. However there could be other methods, Amazon.com could be used, even ebay, or how about Woot.com for the next launch of an expansion. I think the bigger picture is that EA would like any new customers to try warhammer rather then UO. They will keep UO on life support as long as the revenues covers the costs, which is still does very easily.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A couple of lines really caught my ear.

One was a comment about the growing staff - this is very speculative, but I wonder if upper mgmt really had thought about abandoning UO to zombie status, but are now changing their minds about its potential.

There was a comment about getting the new people going through the entire internal bug database and doing everything. To me, that suggests that they really do have a "relaunch" in mind, but don't want to jump the gun because the game now is not the game they want marketting to work with.

Box in store is rough. Given that the number of new players trying it is small and most players will happily spend money online for tokens, the profit margin is likely lower than not distributing a box. Yes, I think it betrays a lack of confidence in the product by marketing/management, but I can understand the mindset if they are focused on the SA client.

Pub 56 has gathered so many rumours of content that I'm wondering if they thought about calling it an expansion :)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
about the only thing that really, really perked my ears up was the comment about the lawyers looking into a revived EM program

now *that* would make me very happy

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a lot of criticisms that the EM events degenerated into a clique of the same people getting unique and/or overpowered items. I never experienced it, but on the surface, it just doesn't seem to me to be a good use of resources - I would rather see a more regular heartbeat of live events for everyone.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that's exactly where the EMs were a bit better, they had more frequent events

as to the other part, bits of corruption, I have no idea.... I have heard such stories, but had never witnessed them, altho I can easily see it happening

if the developers could keep things moving along I would also be satisfied with that, but it seems to be beyond them currently

N

NewThunder

about the only thing that really, really perked my ears up was the comment about the lawyers looking into a revived EM program

now *that* would make me very happy

I do not want the corrupt EM program returning, on many shards rare items were given to the EM's friends. The timing of EM events was horid, often most were not in prime time. I would rather they invest in developers to have more in game content and scenario type events that all can participate in.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that's exactly where the EMs were a bit better, they had more frequent events
That doesn't make any sense to me ... it should require fewer resources to make events for everyone rather than manually-run events everywhere.

(thinking back to the scavenger-hunt event early this year - it seemed to leave a lot of really bitter and frustrated people)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The scavenger hunt was actually okay, just needed a bit of tweaking.
As I saw it:
1. Several couldnt understand the instructions, and see what was being said, because a few of the kiddies up front were spamming the joint up with nonsense. They shoulda been sent to jail for 2 hours immediately, thereby freeing up screen space for peeps that wanted to do what we were there to do.

2. The turn in chest wasn't secured/controlled in any way. As people were showing up putting their filled bags in it, the griefing types were able to open those bags and remove items from it, thereby making your submissions incomplete. Several of these players were here from other shards on new chars.

3. I actually felt sorry for Chrissay during this. She tried, and no one would give her a break at all. This scenario would be fine again this year for Valentine's, with those problems fixed. I would suggest, that if a Dev were to do this this year, a GM accompany them for crowd control. The GM could have everyone line up as they returned, thereby assuring everyone got checked in the order they returned. If participants can't follow the simple rules and instructions, ther again, the GM send em to jail for 2 hrs :)
No mark on accounts, or anything like that, just get em out of the way for a while.

4. The only problem with #3, as I see it, is if the event was scheduled for 2pm, A GM would have to be paged for assistance no later than 9am, to assure that one would possibly have answered the page in time *snickers*

I actually liked the concept of the event. But when I returned, and placed my bag in the chest, immediately 3 of my items were snagged out of it, along with the book!

But these kind of events are so much better than the EM events. I don't know anything about favorites and all that, but I do know it was hard as hell to catch one going on, or to get involved in one. We had a shield that was set out at the castle signifying one, several times a few of us showed up and sat for an hour waiting for others, only to find out it was already underway and almost over? When the suggestion was made to use the town criers to announce it, it was said the EMs couldnt handle the whole crowd if everyone showed up. hmmmm

I wish the devs, random devs on random shards, would once in a while just hop on and play the part of the old seers :) Random, Improptu, unannounced small happenings here and there, announced by the town criers at the start of it. the odd spawn happening jsut outside of Brit, Luna, wherever, a quick diversion from the days usual happenings.

I talk too much, and ramble, gone back ingame:):mf_prop:

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
very scarey, sometimes, Uriah ;)

was thinking along those lines just yesterday, but about a different scenerio

wouldn't it be nice, now that the rares collectors have been just about wiped due to dupers, if a developer (or two or three) began their workday by logging in to random shards and unlocking some little goodie

just one item, which could be freely picked up by anyone happening by

now wouldn't that be a kick?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cool Idea!

But then again, if they don't fix the dupes, and ban the dupers, they will be useless and common too =(

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nah, just roll with it...... unlock a plow now and then and let someone have it

like the rubble oh'ii trees... not so special now that the cocoa trees use the very same graphic, right?

kinda like "if everyone is special, then nobody is"

to satisfy the true collectors, once the item is picked up, tag it "unlocked" or something, to identify it's origin as not a server birth item

N

NewThunder

That doesn't make any sense to me ... it should require fewer resources to make events for everyone rather than manually-run events everywhere.

(thinking back to the scavenger-hunt event early this year - it seemed to leave a lot of really bitter and frustrated people)

There is another way to make people happy, have participants go through a gate to get event items. The gate could even be kept up so that people who play at strange times can get the item. This was done in the past with the 300th anv plate, where you walked through a gate to get the plate, you could only do it once per account.

L

Lord Urza

It hasnt been that long since there were uo games for sale SE , 9th , 8th. Has it become that much more costly, or inconvienient to put these items on shelves in stores then it was then? I remember them bein in our wal-mart....and i would stop by and buy one for the items them came with them pretty much every time i went lol. which wouldnt be many because before i could buy a 3rd they would all be gone.......so someone bought all those other ones ...they didnt sit there. I drove an hour to buy SE from gamestop when i started back this time around because i wanted a box and cd.

simply uo will never gain any signifigent number of new players if UO never puts product out, if there is no advertisement in magazines, tv , websites.

I have alot of friends that I play magic the gathering tournaments with that, play wow, ff11 , and........they have never heard of UO, these people are gamers....a couple of my friends that work at G2k games and play ff11 have never heard of ultima online.
When I explained to them that it was the first mmorpg, they were suprised.
They both became very interested in hearing about the game, and have checked out the website and both said they were thinking about trying it out.

UO does have weight to throw around, if uo was sold to people better, or people ever heard about uo I dont think that alot of them can help being interested.
UO has so much that other game players desire.
Maybe then if interest in uo really picked up, they might get the funding to hire more people so stuff didnt take so long to happen in sosaria.

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that was questioned, Lord Urza, and the little bit of it that I caught (and that I can remember this morning ;) ) went something like "it is not cost effective for the retailers to keep them on the shelves, they make more money from console games"

Yes...that's why you can't find WoW or EQ or any other MMO's on store shelves (not).

personally, if I were EA/Mythic, it would occur to me that I got a fair bit of clout in the gaming industry...... "Well, Mr GameStop, if you need a supply of Madden '09 it will come bundled with our fantastic new version of Ultima Online" ...... something along those lines ... but there's probably laws against such strongarm tactics, isn't there?
That would require that EA actually care about UO.