• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So... if people aren't into the new unicorn, what type of MTX would you buy?

Clops

Sage
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dread Lord
I personally love the new gold tree floor tiles. Would like to see more deco like that. But I'd also love dyes, mounts, and new wall tiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dexterslab

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
A donkey.....
And i would love it, if they would take more time to make new items..... The boxes from the artisan-festival are horrible in the classic client. More quality less quantity!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the main reason i dont like the unicorn is because the art looks bad. the rainbow is fine, some people like that. just the actual art looks horrible.

the first thing i consider when thinking about adding a new item to my house, or mount for that matter is how its going to look with with the classic art of the last 20 years that i already have.

very few new items do that. they look like things from cheap chinese browser games.

my advice to broadsword:

fire the artist.

find someone who can actually make art that fits in with the game.

you could have 100 new items everday, worthless if they look like garbage.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
the main reason i dont like the unicorn is because the art looks bad. the rainbow is fine, some people like that. just the actual art looks horrible.

the first thing i consider when thinking about adding a new item to my house, or mount for that matter is how its going to look with with the classic art of the last 20 years that i already have.

very few new items do that. they look like things from cheap chinese browser games.

my advice to broadsword:

fire the artist.

find someone who can actually make art that fits in with the game.

you could have 100 new items everday, worthless if they look like garbage.
You must have missed this part of the newsletter....

We are also adding new items to the Ultima Store. This month, we've added two styles of world tree tiles to decorate your houses with. We'll also be adjusting the perspective of this and other circular tiles to better mesh with existing circular objects within the game world.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must have missed this part of the newsletter....

We are also adding new items to the Ultima Store. This month, we've added two styles of world tree tiles to decorate your houses with. We'll also be adjusting the perspective of this and other circular tiles to better mesh with existing circular objects within the game world.
i did see that, but it doesnt address the art style. only the perspective. "good" art that fits to me has a more soft appearance (most the new art is very sharp) as well as shading and depth. not all the new art is terrible. the anniversary stone crafting items i feel achieved a good look, but 90 percent of them just dont fit.

plant.png

example shown here. lack of texture, shading, and depth makes the new plants stand out painfully compared to older ones. the same can be said comparing the new unicorn with the existing horse / unicorn mounts we have.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i did see that, but it doesnt address the art style. only the perspective. "good" art that fits to me has a more soft appearance (most the new art is very sharp) as well as shading and depth. not all the new art is terrible. the anniversary stone crafting items i feel achieved a good look, but 90 percent of them just dont fit.

View attachment 58859

example shown here. lack of texture, shading, and depth makes the new plants stand out painfully compared to older ones. the same can be said comparing the new unicorn with the existing horse / unicorn mounts we have.
Yeah, they really need to use a more limited pallet IMO. Too many bright colors, like the green on the coffee plant (which is -ok- otherwise) the other plant... I just really don't like it. It doesn't fit UO at all, and is probably the worst looking thing added to game in recent years.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally love the new gold tree floor tiles. Would like to see more deco like that. But I'd also love dyes, mounts, and new wall tiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be more keen on offering more ridable existing animals, including funny ones like cows, apes, etc. Drakes would be amazing, but I don't know if it would work.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the devs have the right idea, and its not too hard to see what works in other game stores and provide similar items. mounts, clothes, vanity items. nothing that provides a gamebreaking boost.

ive always though skin dye or tattoos would be a great cash item. we already have the code for savage kin paint.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think the devs have the right idea, and its not too hard to see what works in other game stores and provide similar items. mounts, clothes, vanity items. nothing that provides a gamebreaking boost.

ive always though skin dye or tattoos would be a great cash item. we already have the code for savage kin paint.
I don't necessarily agree with them trying to duplicate what works in other games, that's a big part of what over time has drove UO to become a tired struggling title barely hanging. I also don't like titles focusing too much on Micro Transactions, it extremely difficult to get right especially if this is a move towards a F2P shift for UO (Something else I think is a horrible idea that can't end well).

If they follow this route, I'd rather it be already existing functional items that are no longer easily or reasonably obtainable. ToT dyes for example and if they reactivate ToT a new set of rewards be created which after a period would be added to the store.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd like something that doesn't make me :facepalm::rolleyes2: at the very idea of its inclusion into UO. Something that doesn't make me repeatedly question the dev's sanity or their continued stewardship of UO.

Something that is doesn't look/feel slapped together after a weekend's drunken binging of Rainbow Brite, or inspired by a ADHD six-year-old on a sugar high.
Something that I don't feel like mocking every time it is mentioned. :bdh:

Essentially, I want something lore-appropriate to UO, presented in the correct UO perspective, drawn in a non-cartoony fashion using a reasonable palette.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
A donkey.....
And i would love it, if they would take more time to make new items..... The boxes from the artisan-festival are horrible in the classic client. More quality less quantity!
a donkey would be pretty nice. I like funny looking mounts

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me buy my skills up.

I mean people (myself included) pretty much just AFK train anyway so why not just let me buy skills from the store?

I know we have mythic tokens but just sell individual ones.

I need 120 ninja? No problem! Just buy it from the store and add it straight to my character.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
image.jpeg A hell steed would be nice. Not the hell hound thing they spit out.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
We should be able to tame and ride other players, or at least enslave them and rope them up and show them off in luna, maybe sell the odd one. (and this is not a racial thing before someone pulls that card im talking about enslaving all characters, humans of all hues, elf, gargoyles etc)

Lily Grace

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If we're talking ridables? Please let my crafter ride something other than a big space hogging beetle.

A donkey? Sure! A ridable donkey pack animal. I love the llamas in UO. How about a pack llama we can ride? Better still let us purchase, or offer as a vet reward (usable to all players), a ridable ethereal pack animal. In the same way you can't stable a pack animal that's carrying items, you can't put the ethereal pack animal back in your pocket if there are items on it.

Lil

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No no no! The small ones are coolest! Cool dudes ride Llamas not Spiders and other crap! I would prefer a Boar - you can have all the other crap. THIS ROCKS!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Someone plays ESO.......
Actually I used to, even did the pricey preorder. However, my poor machine couldn't handle the load so I was forced to quit playing.

However, that picture is from Google to serve as an example. Still looks bad ass to me though..

Vet

Visitor
Yes sir it is. I built my box to handle it, and even then had to upgrade some. I roll ESO, I have that mount. That one, the zombie one, the camel, and the lion are my favs but of course, sounding like a junkie, yes, I have them all!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Best Mount ever, cause at the end of a long ride you already have something to cook for dinner . . .
Unless you're into Western Kentucky style BBQ, then you need this...

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually thought the art was pretty good. Smooth lines, rounded off edges. Far better than others like the charger of fallen or original unicorn for instance.

Don't hate because he rocks a rainbow mane and a long horn. It could be mistaken for jealousy.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I actually thought the art was pretty good. Smooth lines, rounded off edges. Far better than others like the charger of fallen or original unicorn for instance.

Don't hate because he rocks a rainbow mane and a long horn. It could be mistaken for jealousy.
Part of the problem IS the "smooth lines," especially between the bands of color on the mane and tail (we'll ignore the fact that both look chunky and low poly). The colors have distinct demarcation between them which looks artificial.

Here's the abomination of a tail magnified 4 times:
RUTail.png

Notice the lack of shading or blending and the sloppy, jaggy lines. Now, consider that the tail is wider than the unicorn's thigh...

Dread Horn has a far, far better tail.
Dread_horn_ec.jpg

The. Art. Is. Bad.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Part of the problem IS the "smooth lines," especially between the bands of color on the mane and tail (we'll ignore the fact that both look chunky and low poly). The colors have distinct demarcation between them which looks artificial.

Here's the abomination of a tail magnified 4 times:
View attachment 58965

Notice the lack of shading or blending and the sloppy, jaggy lines. Now, consider that the tail is wider than the unicorn's thigh...

Dread Horn has a far, far better tail.
View attachment 58966

The. Art. Is. Bad.
It's not just the art... it's the artist. BAD.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Instead of getting an item in game to ride around on how about night sight 24/7 and also have turn in values be account based vs character based.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOLZ i like the devs sense of humour here!!!!

Methinks the rainbow unicorn as always been part of UO folklore and ridicule...normally with the ....''poops out EM event items and Plat checks out every other day!!'' attatched the the mere mention of it!!

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The one and only SILVER STEED! *as answer to the question in the thread-head-line*

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Some more horse ethereal mounts that come in different colors would be nice. Not looking for anything too complicated and colorful. Maybe even some type of ethereal dyes, if that was possible.

With the pet revamp upcoming, would be nice if they had some more useful mounts... i.e., something that provides some type of bonus. Doesn't have to exactly mimic a swamp dragon with armor or Paraxymous swamp dragon, but they could come up with something that is reasonable and not 'game breaking'.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dread Spider, Hot Air Balloon, Magic Carpet, Griffin, Camel (Especially if it worked like a blue beetle), Elephant (One that worked like a land boat take your friends, think of LoTR)... Battle Cat, Gypsy wagon,

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
alas wait till its live!!!!.. atlantic bank will look like a panto....or a cartoon shot from carebears