• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] So I finally get my monster fish quest order...

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got a great fishing quest order, finally!!! Worth 130 points using method below:

Trap fish .5
Shallow .5
Deep 1.0
Dungeon 1.5

Order is for:
15 Bonito
20 Bone fish
20 Reddrum
15 Dungeon Chub
15 Snaggle
20 Crag

Sure to be a winner, it calcs to 130 points!!!

The 120's that were reported and are listed in this forum have been for
112.5 points, reported by Vvvaaannn
115 points reported by Beast Master
120 Points reported by KimHoward

And I get a 115 scroll. I mean what is up with that. I had gotten a 115 scroll previously from a measely 102.5 order of:
15 blue crab
15 haddock
20 amber
15 grim
10 orc
15 dark
Only 102.5 to get a 115 scroll. I finally hit the highest so far reported order that I have noticed, and only get a 115???

Also I've had two orders for over 102 points that gave nothing but a lava trap or lava pole. I mean I have recieved these off of orders for as little as 10 blue crabs!!!

20 black sea
20 pumpkin
15 uncommon
15 demon
10 cutthroat
20 orc bass
Yielded a lava trap

The other was
15 rock lobster
10 fred lob
10 cobia
20 bonito
20 dark fish
20 lurker
Yielded a lava pole

Ok I get it, you don't always get the scroll... but a flipping trap or pole for over a 100 point order, I would've grumpily accepted one of the more rare baits, instead of a PS but a trap???

And to top it off, the mega order, 130 points!!! And I get a lower PS scroll than the three reported 120 scrolls for less points!!! This is really turning into a sick joke.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got a great fishing quest order, finally!!! Worth 130 points using method below:

Trap fish .5
Shallow .5
Deep 1.0
Dungeon 1.5

Order is for:
15 Bonito
20 Bone fish
20 Reddrum
15 Dungeon Chub
15 Snaggle
20 Crag

Sure to be a winner, it calcs to 130 points!!!

The 120's that were reported and are listed in this forum have been for
112.5 points, reported by Vvvaaannn
115 points reported by Beast Master
120 Points reported by KimHoward

And I get a 115 scroll. I mean what is up with that. I had gotten a 115 scroll previously from a measely 102.5 order of:
15 blue crab
15 haddock
20 amber
15 grim
10 orc
15 dark
Only 102.5 to get a 115 scroll. I finally hit the highest so far reported order that I have noticed, and only get a 115???

Also I've had two orders for over 102 points that gave nothing but a lava trap or lava pole. I mean I have recieved these off of orders for as little as 10 blue crabs!!!

20 black sea
20 pumpkin
15 uncommon
15 demon
10 cutthroat
20 orc bass
Yielded a lava trap

The other was
15 rock lobster
10 fred lob
10 cobia
20 bonito
20 dark fish
20 lurker
Yielded a lava pole

Ok I get it, you don't always get the scroll... but a flipping trap or pole for over a 100 point order, I would've grumpily accepted one of the more rare baits, instead of a PS but a trap???

And to top it off, the mega order, 130 points!!! And I get a lower PS scroll than the three reported 120 scrolls for less points!!! This is really turning into a sick joke.

Aheam.......

I mean, when I complain that I think that fishing orders' rewards are all messed up, that I think it as wrong that better orders give worse rewards, I get told that is the way it is, and that if I do not enjoy fishing orders I can well stop doing them and blah blah.

I am glad to see some more criticism about them, hopefully whatever might be wrong with them might get finally fixed.....

K

Kiminality

While, yeah, it sucks to fill a large order and get a crappy reward (like those bloody books)... We've all been there dozens of times, I'll bet - Fill in a big order and get your third "book 4" of the day. Not as big, I know, but the principal stands.
A certain amount of unpredictability is important to any system, lest it get mapped out in its entirety, and it becomes another completely empty system, as devoid of life as the community collections.
Like the killing blow on a monster, or turning in a large BOD, it's the moment of uncertainty that gives it the barest spark of life. Knowing that this quest will only get x reward makes it a chore, knowing that it may get a better reward makes it (kind of) an adventure.

What would probably have been a better way to do it is to have completing the quests do something like apply points to a community collection, so you can save up your "reputation" with them, and the "cash it in" to get the reward you want.
At least that way would have some life to it, and also the predictability y'all seem to want.

B

Beastmaster

My top orders:

105 100 golden tuna bait
115 120 scroll
117 100 zombie fish bait
120 100 golden tuna bait
122 110 scroll

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Folks, ever think that the rewards are like the BODs are now, with a random bonus that can boost the reward 1-4 steps about 10-20% of the time? That would explain why 120s sometimes come in a lot lower than the 115s or 110s. It would also explain how some really cheesy quests have delivered 110s or 115s.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is nothing wrong with getting a 115 PS. If you don't want it then either sell it, bind it, give it away, or throw it away. Others got lucky off those orders, nothing more. They were posting that it is possible to get the 120 PS from those orders, not that it is likely, just possible.

I am glad to see some more criticism about them, hopefully whatever might be wrong with them might get finally fixed.....
This is not a critique. This is no different than complaining that you did not win the lottery. Everyone knows it is random. No one has built a possible rewards table for the new quests. I have not yet seen a solid attempt at building one either. We only know a few things so far for the rewards:
1. How many charges to expect a bait to have (if you get a bait).
2. The rewards scale with the size and type of fish being requested, but we do not know the details of this, just generalizations.
3. There is a random selection of rewards based off the size and type of fish being requested, but we do not know the details of this, just more generalizations.

Instead of complaining about others being lucky, direct your dissatisfaction towards gathering data to develop the rewards tables, so you can approach any perceived/imagined problems from a solid basis and provide constructive critisicm. Without this data to stand on, posts like this are merely complaining about being unlucky and nothing more.

Take the initiative to gather the data, find out what data is needed/not needed, provide a user friendly template for consistent gathering, find out if anyone is already gathering data to leverage their efforts, work with the moderators to see if they can help, see what other forums have for data gathering.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks, ever think that the rewards are like the BODs are now, with a random bonus that can boost the reward 1-4 steps about 10-20% of the time? That would explain why 120s sometimes come in a lot lower than the 115s or 110s. It would also explain how some really cheesy quests have delivered 110s or 115s.
This is what I suspect too. No one has put forth the effort to gather the data as you did for the BOD rewards though. Most only completed a select few of the larges, under the old BOD system. The new BOD system makes it worth while to complete almost any type of large order.

Is there any advice you can offer for anyone wishing to start gathering data on fishing quest rewards?

Stayin Alive,

BG

K

Kiminality

Assuming I have an adequate grasp of the variables involved, then I'd say a table with rows for each of the possible point values, and columns for the possible rewards.
Then, when someone turns in an x point order and gets y reward, you can just add 1 to the relevant cell. That way, you'd be able to get a sense of the spread of rewards for the different point values.

tiara1971

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today i get a 6 liner 120 fish ...
from floating docks to trinsic

20 crusty
20 fred
20 cape cod
20 dungeon chub
20 drake
20 lurker

Recieved bait for this....

So procede in handing in a 4 liner 60 count
trinsic to papua

20 red drum
15 catfish
10 kokanee salmon
15 demon trout

recieve a 105 ps

So how is a 115 or 120 ps obtainable without having to bind up all the 105's and 10's OR is it just random drop

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

20 crusty
20 fred
20 cape cod
20 dungeon chub
20 drake
20 lurker

Personally, I think that this particular order is a victim of the crabs/lobsters points suspected bug.

That is, I think it was a very good fishing order, capable of earning a 120 powerscroll but because crabs and lobsters, apparently, are not accounted for the 2 points they should, the total value of the order dropped and a bait was instead generated...

I mean, in theory the total "weight" of the order should have been 300 points which is an incredible total (the max ever achievable is 360...). And if 300 points do not yield a 120 PS I am not sure what could......

It is inexplicable to me that we still have not heard a word from the developers about giving a serious look at how fishing orders points are allocated and, therefore, to their rewards.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, I sure have concidered this, and from seeing some of the posts here today, it looks a little more apparent that it may work that way. ie. getting a 120 scroll at 112.5 points, and only getting a 115 for 130 point order. I will certainly admit that I was a bit pissy last night after my super order did not get me my long sought after 120ps. So I get the idea that not every big order will yield what you are hoping for. Thats not a problem, just disapointing.

But what I myself have a problem with is getting something like a lava pole or lava trap for a 100+ point order. To me that is be similar to getting a sturdy shovel for a large verite BOD, and if that happened you know there would be some P.O.'d people in the smithy community.

People like to compare the fishing quests with BODs but I do not find them at all alike except for the fact that you may get a 1 liner (small bod) or a 6 liner (large bod), and what you get is random. But with bods, you can throw the crappy small bods on the ground, save em in a book, sell them, trade them, or fill them in hopes of a larger bod. You can save em and fill them as you see fit, you can fill the ones that you happen to have the resources for, the options are near endless. You do not have to fill each and every one of them to prevent getting penalized. You certainly, do not have to fill all the small bods that you know you will only get a sturdy shovel for. With fishing quests you are simply stuck with what you get. You fill it, or you lose reputation which may penalize you and therefore shoot down your already grim chances of getting the large quest that you need to get something useful. Also at least in small smith bods, the sturdy shovel is useful, I have found no use for yellowtail barracuda bait, nor 100+ books.

The system is not perfect, I do not expect the perfect reward all of the time, (but I certainly do hope for it) but I certainly do not think that some of the lesser rewards are suitable for the larger orders, all that does is get people frustrated or pissed for all their time and effort. They should at least be in a range, like the the BODs are.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take the initiative to gather the data, find out what data is needed/not needed, provide a user friendly template for consistent gathering, find out if anyone is already gathering data to leverage their efforts, work with the moderators to see if they can help, see what other forums have for data gathering.

Stayin Alive,

BG
As I mentioned before in a previous post, I have notes on somewhere around 800 quests, If someone is willing to put it all together, and examine it and make use of it I will be happy to send it. I do not know or use speadsheets, don't know the first thing about them, but I can certainly type out all the info I have gathered so far. But I don't plan on wasting my time typing it all out if someone is not going to make use of it. If one of the moderators or someone else that is handy with spread sheets, is willing to do so, feel free to PM me and I will gather the data and send it on over.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats not a problem, just disapointing.
If it is disappointing then, IMHO, it is a problem.....

This is, supposedly, an "entertainment" product which should not disappoint customers, as I see it.

That better orders give worse rewards thus, disappointing paying customers, this should be seen as a problem and fixed and the sooner the better.

I have nothing against rarity of given items, but there should be a consistant pattern with the quality of fishing orders were better orders gave better rewards than worse orders.

That's at least how I see it.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it is disappointing then, IMHO, it is a problem.....

This is, supposedly, an "entertainment" product which should not disappoint customers, as I see it.

That better orders give worse rewards thus, disappointing paying customers, this should be seen as a problem and fixed and the sooner the better.

Now that is a little over the top there Popps, you are correct, UO is an entertainment, and I am happy to pay for it, it has to be one of the cheapest sources of entertainment around. I have more then gotten my 15 dollars worth out of purchasing the high seas, especially since it was a one time fee, and not a monthly charge. So expecting every portion of the game to keep you happy is ludacris (no idea how to spell that one). I certainly would not use the "but I'm paying for this" or "I paid 15 dollars for endless hours of play time, and I did not get my scroll yet", as an excuse when you are displeased with how a portion of the game is working. I mean, where else can you get endless hours of play time, and choices of what you want to play with for 15 dollars? So I myself could not even begin to claim the "we are paying for this" bit. Could there be changes to make it better? Yes, absolutely. Maybe we will get lucky and someone will actually look into it. In the meantime, I have gotten my moneys worth out of it, and will continue to do so. I gripe and moan about the rewards too, obviously. I get pissy when I don't get what I was hoping for or thought I should be recieving by now, I post some of my frustrations in the forum to see if it is just me or if others think there may be a problem also. You obviously don't care for how it is working either, and those are the things I'm trying to find out when I vent. I believe something is wrong, I certainly hope one day a dev will look at it, and hopefully put in some tweaks to make things a little better. It is frustrating as it is now, but I am still fishing, I'm still doing my quests after months and months of it, I'm still gathering quest data, and maybe one day the rng will roll in my favor. Whether frustrated or pleased with the results of the quests, I have certainly been entertained.

I have nothing against rarity of given items, but there should be a consistant pattern with the quality of fishing orders were better orders gave better rewards than worse orders
Now this is a more effective statement. And I agree with you here.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

20 crusty
20 fred
20 cape cod
20 dungeon chub
20 drake
20 lurker

Ouch! At least it was not a lava pole. I'm assuming it was at least one of the more rare baits? Bad luck of the roll for the reward, as far as getting a scroll.

It appears so far that a 120 ps is obtainable from orders that are 112.5 points and higher.

A 115 scroll so far it appears from orders of 102.5 on up to at least 130 points.

But of course your reward for a 102+ point order so far can roll into a 115 scroll, a rarer 100 use bait, or rare book 5. I think I got my book 5 from a 115 point order. The 120 scrolls so far look like they begin at 112.5 points.

Oh and lets not forget, you could always roll the lava trap or lava pole for the booby prize.:hahaha:

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My poor hunny bunny im home now and will get more dungeon fish for you to fill more quest...Luv ya:love::love::love:

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My poor hunny bunny im home now and will get more dungeon fish for you to fill more quest...Luv ya:love::love::love:
Could you throw in some more crabs/ lobs and shallow water fish while you are at it please. I suspect I may have a couple more months worth of quests to fill. rolleyes:

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could you throw in some more crabs/ lobs and shallow water fish while you are at it please. I suspect I may have a couple more months worth of quests to fill. rolleyes:
i will put off my abyssal dragonfish hunting to obtain what ever you so desire my love

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a quick question did any of you 500+ quest doers notice that after each 6liner you get just junk orders? A couple times in a row now i got a 6 liner followed by a handful of 1 liners before it goes back to a 5/6 liner.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a quick question did any of you 500+ quest doers notice that after each 6liner you get just junk orders? A couple times in a row now i got a 6 liner followed by a handful of 1 liners before it goes back to a 5/6 liner.

Yes, I noticed that too. I have somewhat the impression that loyalty goes like "wiped out" in a rinse and repeat endless cycling....

On the other end though, I also noticed that as I do more orders the max amount of charges for the baits I get also goes up. Now I am at 80 charges max level moved up from previous 75 charges.

So, it seems like number of orders completed, and so loyalty, somehow also is taken into account for the quality (number of max charges) of the reward....

But I am really clueless, I am just like walking in a dark room with no light on, without really knowing where I am heading with all my guesses.....

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The questing orders simply vary, that is all. Like bods, you will most often pull crap bods, but every now and then you get a good one, same thing here, but to me this is the ONLY likeness to the bod system.
You can pull a 1 or a 6 liner (providing you have some reputation built up)at any time, just as you can pull a small bod or large bod at any time.

Often it will appear to go down after completing a 6 line order but not always. It is simply a matter of the luck of the draw. I have started canceling some quests even and it still works the same way. I'm sick of turning in orders for close to 60 crabs/lobs, so if i get an order like that I will simply cancel it now. So long as the order did not contain a bunch of dungeon fish- which is what is going to give me my points. I can cancel an order for 20 snow crabs, go back and immediatley grab a new order and the new one may be a nice 6 liner, or it could be more crap. It is the luck of the draw only in my opinion.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The questing orders simply vary, that is all. Like bods, you will most often pull crap bods, but every now and then you get a good one, same thing here, but to me this is the ONLY likeness to the bod system.
You can pull a 1 or a 6 liner (providing you have some reputation built up)at any time, just as you can pull a small bod or large bod at any time.

Often it will appear to go down after completing a 6 line order but not always. It is simply a matter of the luck of the draw. I have started canceling some quests even and it still works the same way. I'm sick of turning in orders for close to 60 crabs/lobs, so if i get an order like that I will simply cancel it now. So long as the order did not contain a bunch of dungeon fish- which is what is going to give me my points. I can cancel an order for 20 snow crabs, go back and immediatley grab a new order and the new one may be a nice 6 liner, or it could be more crap. It is the luck of the draw only in my opinion.

I need to disagree.

If it was as you say, merely luck of the draw, then players would simply keep refusing orders until they get one they like (i.e. one that gives the best rewards...).

Sorry, it would be too easy to beat the system and I cannot possibly think that the developers did not put anything to prevent this.

Just keep refusing orders until one that is liked pops up ?

Cannot be, IMHO.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need to disagree.

If it was as you say, merely luck of the draw, then players would simply keep refusing orders until they get one they like (i.e. one that gives the best rewards...).

Sorry, it would be too easy to beat the system and I cannot possibly think that the developers did not put anything to prevent this.

Cannot be, IMHO.
Yep, you can keep refusing them and sometimes a better one will come up. But there are things to take into concideration, your quantity of the particular type of fish will go down by 5 points on the next order asking for that type of fish again. Also you have to do enough of the quests to keep your reputation up.

You don't want to end up with orders of:

5 bone
5 yellow tail
5 demon trout
5 cutthroat
that will get you nothing, as it is only a 25 point order.

I'll give you an example
quest recieved:
20 snow
20 rock lob
10 blue crab
10 tormented pike

If you refuse this....
the next order "that contained the above type of fish" would be.....
15 snow
15 rock lob
5 blue crab
5 tormented pike.
(I gave an example of an exact repeat order to show what happens to the fish, this of course would not happen in reality)

Granted the next order is not going to be a repeat, but that is what would happen to each of the fishes. So most likely even though order 1 had a ton of crabs and lobs, I would not cancel it because I don't want my tormented pike, the point bringer, to drop to five. BUT if the order was for simply
20 snow
20 rock
10 blue crab....
I would drop it in a heart beat!!! As I do not want to go fish for all them stinking crabs and lobs for no points. I mean the points on this order are only worth 25 points for all that work. So why bother. 25 points for an order is not gonna get ya diddley. But like I said, if you drop a quest, you have to take into concideration, what it will do to your subsequent orders, and you need to keep doing enough of em, to keep the reputation up.

Now I will give you a real example of one of my quests.....

Recieved quest for...
20 king
20 blue crab
15 bone fish
from trin to moon --35 point value-- quest picked up 5:22 pm

I did not want to turn in all those stupid crabs!!!! Besides I was low on them. So I canceled the quest. The very next quest was for....

15 blue crab (note the blue crabs dropped by 5)
15 haddock
20 amber
15 grim
10 orc
15 dark
Moon - skara ---point value 102 --- quest picked up at 5:24 pm.
Reward 115 scroll!!!

I can't recommend this approach, but the quests can be manipulated at a risk. But it further shows, that what comes up is completely random. The amount of fish that are asked for are not random. It is supposed to always follow the sequence of 10, then 15, then 20, then back down to 10 and repeat, each time that (lets say) blue crab is called for. Unless there is either a glitch ( which still happens) or you drop a quest with the blue crap on it. If the blue crab were at 20 and I dropped a quest with them on it, the next time I would be asked for 15 blue crab. If the blue crab had been at 10, I dropped quest, then the next blue crab would be 5. It does not drop below 5.

B

Beastmaster

Sasha- "You have achieved a level in Patience. You must wait a day before attempting this feat again."

B

Beastmaster

Since you're trying so hard and you've already seen most of this yourself, but maybe not connected the dots, I'll share my tip that worked for me and a friend.

Manipulate the orders. If you get an order for 2 lines of 20 dungeon each plus whatever else, sit on that order, don't turn it in. If you get an order for 2 lines of 10 crustaceans sit on that as well. The logic there is probably obvious to you. By holding those orders you guarantee if those same requirements come up again they will be for those same amounts. In this way you can cut down the number of crustaceans needed and increase the demand for dungeon fish.

As you've already noted there are still some glitches which will override this, but it is still very effective. You then turn in your lowest scored order once you reach the 8 limit. You will get higher scored orders using this method.

Some of the glitches I saw. Holding 2 orders of 20 of a particular fish, if you turn one in it will reset to 10 despite holding the other. After server up everything seems to reset regardless of what you are holding. Grey area, if you logoff and lob back in, it may reset.

Hope that helps someone! Popps, don't bother questioning this cause all I'm going to say is try it for yourself and your mileage may vary.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since you're trying so hard and you've already seen most of this yourself, but maybe not connected the dots, I'll share my tip that worked for me and a friend.

Manipulate the orders. If you get an order for 2 lines of 20 dungeon each plus whatever else, sit on that order, don't turn it in. If you get an order for 2 lines of 10 crustaceans sit on that as well. The logic there is probably obvious to you. By holding those orders you guarantee if those same requirements come up again they will be for those same amounts. In this way you can cut down the number of crustaceans needed and increase the demand for dungeon fish.

As you've already noted there are still some glitches which will override this, but it is still very effective. You then turn in your lowest scored order once you reach the 8 limit. You will get higher scored orders using this method.

Some of the glitches I saw. Holding 2 orders of 20 of a particular fish, if you turn one in it will reset to 10 despite holding the other. After server up everything seems to reset regardless of what you are holding. Grey area, if you logoff and lob back in, it may reset.

Hope that helps someone! Popps, don't bother questioning this cause all I'm going to say is try it for yourself and your mileage may vary.
I have tried a similar method without great results, better results but not great. I did not try to hold the crustacean order to keep them low. That may be the ticket. And yes there are some glitches in it yet. If order for same type of fish are going to the same place, it can drop your quantities. As in most things, if you think about it enough, there is usually a way to manipulate things, simply by following the rules that apply. What irks me, is that the questing is based off rng and not any kind of real skill (not talking about skill points) but skill in being able to use what you are given. I've tried multiple methods out of curiosity and to see what it would do. So now I will have to give this one a go around by holding the crabs also. But either way you are still at the mercy of what the rng rolls up for you next, you simply attemp to increase your odds a little.

Thanks for the additional hint Beast.

G

Gowron

I need to disagree.

Cannot be, IMHO.
Popps, cancelling orders once accepted detracts from your reputation, making the likelihood of getting a better order lesser. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with this outside the fact that you had a need to disagree.

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need to disagree.

Cannot be, IMHO.
Popps, cancelling orders once accepted detracts from your reputation, making the likelihood of getting a better order lesser. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with this outside the fact that you had a need to disagree.
As you also seem to need to disagree.... His point is the same one you are talking about.

G

Gowron

As you also seem to need to disagree.... His point is the same one you are talking about.
Perhaps. I just didn't quite get what he was trying to say. Other than he simply disagreed. Oh well.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I gave this method a try for several days and my conclusion is that it actually got my orders worse, not better......

As suggested, when I got a 2-liner for 20 dungeon fish per line I sat on it, did not turn it in.

Well, my 5 and 6 liners became popping up with no dungeon fish request whatsoever !!
Just crabs/lobsters and shallow/deep water fish lines....

If I was lucky "maybe" 1 line was with like 10 or 15 dungeon fish but that's pretty much it...

It is as if, is my perception, the system "saw" that I was negligent at completing the offered 2-liner order with 2x 20 dungeon fish request and so withhold offering me any further dungeon fish request pending my completion of that order I was sitting on....

Not sure what's going on but after several days and perhaps some 40-50 orders my findings were much worse dungeon fish lines in the orders to turn in......

Did anyone else try this method out ?

B

Beastmaster

Leave it to popps to screw it up.

I never said sit on a 2 line order. I said sit on orders with 2 lines of 20 dungeon fish plus whatever else. In other words 3 lines or greater.

I also said turn in your lowest scored order. Since you don't score orders like the rest of us, I imagine that would be difficult for you.

And lastly, my last 4 words were "your mileage may vary."

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was under the impression that, while cancelling an order, once taken, will lower reputation, refusing to take it in the first place did not?

To be truthful, I don't keep track of what orders I do and what they give me. Scrolls are a nice surprise. Since I've not bothered to add up the points, I'm not expecting one :)

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have just got to LOVE it when you do those nice orders and get shafted. 20 red snook 15 yellow tuna 15 dungeon chub 10 demon trout 10 crag snapper 15 lurker fish sure not the highest order but yeah after having done many like this I am also sick of getting a lava pole for them. Someone got an F in math class if that's the best they can do with 4 categories of rewards based on weight. Talk about the world's dumbest venn diagram. Pretty much come to the conclusion that the lava pole is just a "100 use bait" or equivalent on high end orders, and if that is the case then let me combine the 200 lava poles i have into one pole with 20000 uses so i can stop tossing them on the docks. Oh and on a side note they need to fix lava lobster traps, since they made them all face one direction they can be used in lava (bc they are colored) but they dont get any bites once you use them because they lose the lava lobster tag so they can be used in lava and left long enough will still sink but the fish aren't biting. At least prior to the change when i used lava traps in lava I got plain crabs and lobsters and named ones, and they werent even steamed!! Hmmph.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was under the impression that, while cancelling an order, once taken, will lower reputation, refusing to take it in the first place did not?
Correct, you do not lose reputation for refusing to pick up an order.

You WILL lose reputation for canceling an order, whatever kinds of fish you had on that particular order will be 5 less next time you get an order for that type of fish.

In a previous post I was simply trying to say "to me" it was worth taking the hit on reputation loss, to dump an order asking for like 60 crustaceans because I dislike trapping them so much. Besides next time around they would only ask me for 15 of the said crabs/lobs instead of 20. Although I will sometimes cancel order with crustateans, I still recieve 6 line orders, it just simply dropped the number of a type of fish asked for (in my case crustateans).

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you refuse an order? You don't know what the order is until you accept it. Am I missing something (as usual *laughs*)?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nope, not missing anything. I refuse an order when I want to get my boat out of the water. On Siege mostly. I don't know what the order would have been for, but I know what's likely to happen to my boat if I leave it in the water when I'm off line.
It's gotten shot up 3 times so far when I decided to risk not dry docking it :D

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh Good *smiles* I asked becasue somewhere someone said they refuse orders with crustaceans but they must have meant they cancel them.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh Good *smiles* I asked becasue somewhere someone said they refuse orders with crustaceans but they must have meant they cancel them.
That was probably me...

I start getting irratated when I keep getting high orders of crabs/lobs, so I started "canceling/dropping" the order when I get them, so long as it does not contain dungeon fish along with them.

I am willing to take the "hit to my reputation" by doing so.

G

Gowron

FYI, I just got a 120 power scroll. The order was as follows:
15 shad
20 yellowfin tuna
20 captain snook
10 blue grouper
15 rainbow trout
20 crag snapper

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FYI, I just got a 120 power scroll. The order was as follows:
15 shad
20 yellowfin tuna
20 captain snook
10 blue grouper
15 rainbow trout
20 crag snapper
Congratulations.

This must be, though, one of those cases of a lower tier overlapping with a higher tier and it really looks like a slap in the face to the other player who, with a 6 dungeon fish pieces order, just got a book..........

I mean, this order not only has just 1 dungeon fish request, but it also contains 1 shallow fish request.

While I am happy for you, I cannot stress how wrong this is that the system awards a 120 powerscroll to an order like the above but then the same one system awards a useless book to a 6 dungeon fish order which is close to impossible to get, as far as chances go.

I am convinced that this is a wrong system when far better orders bring in far worse rewards than far worse orders.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was probably me...

I start getting irratated when I keep getting high orders of crabs/lobs, so I started "canceling/dropping" the order when I get them, so long as it does not contain dungeon fish along with them.

I am willing to take the "hit to my reputation" by doing so.
Hehe I hear ya! I hate trap fishing especially if I have an order for something. It seems that as soon as you get an order for something you dont have, it leaves the ocean!! :hahaha:

Gowron..Congrats on the 120! Hopefully you are not one of those blessed people the RNG always smiles upon and there is now a better chance of getting the good rewards. *smiles* My level of frustration has just decreased a little bit!

G

Gowron

Hehe I hear ya! I hate trap fishing especially if I have an order for something. It seems that as soon as you get an order for something you dont have, it leaves the ocean!! :hahaha:

Gowron..Congrats on the 120! Hopefully you are not one of those blessed people the RNG always smiles upon and there is now a better chance of getting the good rewards. *smiles* My level of frustration has just decreased a little bit!
Quite frankly, I wasn't expecting a 120 scroll from that. I was actually hoping to get a 105 or 110 to sell. Then again, getting things like books, baits, lava fishing equipment wouldn't have been so great a disappointment for me as I had acquired a few fishing nets, a couple of treasure maps, and about 4-6 MiBs in the process of filling the 5 quests that this one was a part of.

Popps, I hadn't intended to present a "slap in the face" to anyone, but I hoped it would present a "range" to gauge from low to high that presents the chance to get a 120. The important part of doing the fishing quests is to do something you enjoy and receive certain fringe benefits from small to large for doing it.

Frustrations are bound to occur with a great vengence for people who recently adopted fishing since the release of the High Seas booster pack. I know that I would be mad as hell, if I had just started grinding for a 120 scroll from the get go. However, fishing up SoS's has become much more lucrative, and I have been doing the fishing quests mainly to facilitate getting more MiB's. This way, I really don't have much to complain about. Regardless of the rewards given from the quests, I still make out well, which is a reward in and of its own right.