• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] So I dug a few maps today...first time in 6 years ....

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
first let me say it was a blast.
second I have the map archive and a TH rune library for trammel maps....but how do I locate the spots for tok,.. ilsh..ter mur?

are there rune books and a map on most shards?

the zoomable world map here on stratics is broke and wont zoom.

any help/advice is appreciated

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maps are randomized now, you can't just go use an old runebook and get exactly on the spot anymore I'm pretty sure.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My friends told me the same thing.....after I had dug up 10 or more maps today ranging from lvl 1-4!

After we got into this discussion I tried 5 different lvl 5 maps and couldn't find a single one..... Either something is up or that was just a really strange coincidence!

So let's assume you are correct and all the maps are " randomized"? What does that mean?? How do people dig the treasure maps any map could anywhere?? Uoa map use to have an overlay for treasure map locations... Does one still exist?? I can only run UO cartographer now....and overlay would be beneficial...

The zoo able map at uo stratics page is broken and the guide written by Petra seems wonderful except the part that directs you to a few different dead links. There must be a way to dig maps??? Any help or advice would be appreciated......
Treasure hunting worked great how it was ...I don't understand why they went and broke it?

TW

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
When the change happened I put GM mining on my hunter. It allows a greater area to be searched. I'm not sure of the actual number of tiles. I use uo mapper as that map is zoomable and looks very much like the landscape. When I found the general area I did a grid search using bandaids to mark where I had searched. Now there is a Davies locker. It gives starting coordinates. It also stores your maps which saves storage. Also check the treasure hunting FQA, it has great information. Hope this helps

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Tamais,
I have read and retread the FAQ . I am still not sure what they mean by randomized because as I have said I dug 10 maps yesterday with no mining no map programs .... Just using an old rune library. My template is very very tight and I would rather not put mining on it f I don't have to.

Uoa map had an add on for map locations....but uoa map doesn't work now...does UO cart have a similar add on....I haven't heard of UO mapper but UO cart is zoomable...

A new friend showed me a Davies jones locker and I might have to check those out, but I think they are a high end vet reward and my present account has only been active a total of 5 years over the last decade

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
When they redid treasure hunting, they made it so the maps can now be for any of the lands and they don't always appear in the same location. The treasure map books still help as it gets you closer and some time they are at the old location. Now what I have noticed is that while the maps don't always have the exact coordinates they are close. I also have found maps of different levels at the same spot. I didn't put mining on my treasure hunter at first either. That is why I did the grid with the aids. I'm not sure if UO cart. Has the same feature as I has been a while since I've used it. That map program is no longer supported except for the wonder Stratics people who have kept it going. Uo mapper is another mapping program that was developed by a fellow player. Forgot to ask which client are you using. I'm not sure but you might be able to but one and use it. They changed some of the usage of the high end vet awards so anyone can use them. I'll do some research on UOcart and the locker

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play 2d client and ya I bought a locker today....unfortunately I didn't find it a lot of help ....I have resided myself to having to GM mining again and add it to my template just to give me the 16 square tile buffer. It is sad really...I hope they had a solid reason for screwing up treasure hunting. People spent years locating map spots and marking runes and creating map archives.

Making a treasure hunter was a lot of hard work....digging the maps was a reward for that hard work. Mr goodman should be rolling over in his grave....

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm sorry that the locker didn't help. Can I ask why?

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The locker is cool but only
gives 2 co ordinates like 79n and 75 e. It is missing the minutes....which is about a 20x20 tile area
A $10 soulstone is great too. Once you decipher the map you can put the cartography on a character that hasn't filled his 720 points and swap it out for Mining. That's what I do on my Tamer/T-Hunter. I agree that T-hunting is probably the most fun I've had in this game.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have five soul stones and quite a few frags.....I use to use the soul stone /cartography trick with my peace/tamer/treasure hunter. But now that you really HAVE To have mining I had to drop peace and music. So I can now leave cart on my treasure hunter full time.

One thing about the cart trick....it use to only work when
you start with tattered maps.....but that might have changed now that maps reset monthly.

Petra I love the guide you made on treasure hunting without mining....unfortunately I can't get UO cartographer to match up with ms paint . I tried for hours last night before giving up and putting mining on the character. Now I admit I have stolen this technique to match up the maps and locations but I still need mining to get it to work. Your system definitely gets me close....often within the 16 square grid that the GM mining give me, usually on the first try. I dug another 10 maps tonight so I am getting back into the swing of things.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You only need cart to decipher the map. You decipher the map, soulstone off cart, soulstone on mining. Your template doesn't have to change at all. You can dig up maps without cart.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My friends told me the same thing.....after I had dug up 10 or more maps today ranging from lvl 1-4!

After we got into this discussion I tried 5 different lvl 5 maps and couldn't find a single one..... Either something is up or that was just a really strange coincidence!

So let's assume you are correct and all the maps are " randomized"? What does that mean?? How do people dig the treasure maps any map could anywhere?? Uoa map use to have an overlay for treasure map locations... Does one still exist?? I can only run UO cartographer now....and overlay would be beneficial...

The zoo able map at uo stratics page is broken and the guide written by Petra seems wonderful except the part that directs you to a few different dead links. There must be a way to dig maps??? Any help or advice would be appreciated......
Treasure hunting worked great how it was ...I don't understand why they went and broke it?

TW
I do it what I think is "the old fashioned way". I get the coordinates from the map while in a Davies Locker, recall to an area close to it (using the stratics map and marked spots), and use a sextant to zoom in to the exact spot. It only takes about 2 or 3 minutes to "pop" the chest that way. Granted I have only done Tram and Fel maps, I'm not sure about the other spots. I hope this helps. FYI, getting the coordinates from the Davies Locker is what makes it work for me.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I do it what I think is "the old fashioned way". I get the coordinates from the map while in a Davies Locker, recall to an area close to it (using the stratics map and marked spots), and use a sextant to zoom in to the exact spot. It only takes about 2 or 3 minutes to "pop" the chest that way. Granted I have only done Tram and Fel maps, I'm not sure about the other spots. I hope this helps. FYI, getting the coordinates from the Davies Locker is what makes it work for me.
I forgot to add that I DO have GM mining. But with it I only have to dig 1-3 times. I also start at approx. the 30 minute mark of both coordinates given.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You only need cart to decipher the map. You decipher the map, soulstone off cart, soulstone on mining. Your template doesn't have to change at all. You can dig up maps without cart.
I think we are speaking the same language but maybe with different accents... :)

My old template was
120 tame lore vet
115 Margery
110music
110 peace
100 lock picking

For a total of around 795 skill points....it is a very full template.
I spent years running the THB on cats doing shard hunts as well as soloing any map I wanted to.

I would swap out lp and put cart on.....decode tattered maps by the chest full then go swap back the skills and get to work digging. I had a rune library of all map locations in fel and tram and would use the treasure map archive to locate the exact spot of the chest.

When they nerfed maps and made them random locations that all changed.
I spent hours overlaying maps and comparing pixels... Overlaying maps gets me close but close doesn't cut it when you have zero mining.

So now I put GM mining and drops music and peace.....I have 100 extra points so I will throw cart on for now....not sure what to do with the 100 points long term yet.

But yes I can dig maps again....and yes I can do the thing I love in UO again.
I am not sure if I can solo the big maps without area peace....but I will see.
But no one has been able to explain why they changed the system. What was going on that made devs say....we need to randomize maps???

Petra I have read a lot of your guides and found them to be excellent...I just can't get the scales to line up to a point where the overlay technique works 100% for me.

I also found your maps pin pointing some general map locations on the other facets....this will be invaluable when I start making map books for those locations.....that information needs to be clearly linked and identified in a treasure hunting FAQ...
Other thinks and pages need to be removed because they just are so totally out of date. I found a link In Dreads FAQ that leads to a page that explains how to treasure hunt....pre paladins and chiv. Lol interesting read but totally outdated.

Been busy the last few days but I will post a list of links for your review in the next few days.

Thanks for all the help and advice folks...
TW

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I recently dedicated a char to T-hunting as I found it tedeious to swap skills on soulstones, mark locations, etc.

So the number one requirement was "all skills onboard w/o need to stone anything". Below is what i came up with. I easiely solo level 6 maps ans also tried a couple of Ter-Mur 7 maps without any problems with the enraged colossuses. It's basically:

100 mining
100 lockpick
100 carto
100 hiding
70 stealth
120 focus (90 + 30 from imbued jewels)
120 mysticism (90 + 30 as well)
40 magery (to recall (100%) and mark runes (fizzles a lot but works))

(skills actually not maxed yet, but that's the target skills)

There is still skill points left, it's a very sketchy design but already works nice i think. It's usually 5-10 minutes a map depending on spawn (2 to 6 RCs in other words). Yesterday i pulled an anchient wyrm together with an GD in a swamp. That of course took a bit longer but still finished in time :D

Only the ethy mount i needed to buy was a bit more expensive. Everything else was pretty much even after the first found pardon :D

Mysticism + focus can pretty much replace pets (animal lore + vet) with RCs, music and peace with mass sleep spell, and on top add some physical and cold damage spells to even replace magery (essence of wind + bombardement spell). If gargoyels only knew a way to recall..

Last edited:

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I recently just made a new treasure hunter myself... My first being on Atlantic, was a tamer. This time I went with a mystic/mage.

I'm still doing a lot of tweaking, but so far it's looking like:

81 mining
100 lockpicking/cartography (stoning off)
110 focus
120 mysticism
99 magery
100 meditation
110 evaluating intelligence

I had 81 on my tamer hunter and it worked fairly well for the most part, and saved me a few extra points to throw elsewhere.

I've only been using this template on low level maps thusfar (as I can barely cast invis at the moment), but when she's trained up I think it will work out well on levels 1-5. Start digging, pop an RC, invis on the last beat before the guardians spawn, let the RC do the work.

Level 6-7... I dunno. I guess I'll see once I'm trained up. :)

And as for randomizing the maps, I believe they did so as part of a revamp of the system? The maps were randomized at the same time that they added Ilshenar, Malas, Tokuno and Ter Mur maps, as well as the new loot and a few new guardian beasts.

I think part of their reasoning was that treasure HUNTING had turned into treasure recall-and-dig. The rune libraries, while convenient, put an end to actually following the map and having to FIND the treasure. I, personally, find the sense of accomplishment is greater now than it was before the change. :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faeryl.... I too have had fun now that I added mining. As I said I literally find the chest in seconds as opposed to 15+ mins usually without mining. And yes I do enjoy them,...but I take exception to the observation by developers ( assuming you are correct) that treasure hunting the old way was easy. It took you months to GM lock picking, it took weeks to GM cart typically. It took months to learn the locations on the archive well enough to recognize the map. It was a rare player back then that could solo lvl 4-6 maps. When it first started happening there were many players that tried. to quote one of my favourite books....." They tried and failed?" ....."No, they tried and died!"

Great posts and observations.....thanks for the Inputs and explanations :)

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's really too bad ya'll are so adamant about using the 2d client instead of the EC. I was the same way until I came back this time (6-7 months ago). With the EC client, I do not need mining, at all, and I can dig a map within about 1 minute or so of arriving in the general location. No swapping skills with a soulstone, no muss, no fuss. 1 out of every 4 or 5 maps takes me a bit longer to dig, but I can live with that........I mean it ain't supposed to be that easy....right?

Whichever client you use, Have fun, THATS what it's all about!

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The time I save just swapping Mining off is way more than the time it takes to soulstone on and off even in EC. That 1/5 times is a pain in the rear.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's really too bad ya'll are so adamant about using the 2d client instead of the EC. I was the same way until I came back this time (6-7 months ago). With the EC client, I do not need mining, at all, and I can dig a map within about 1 minute or so of arriving in the general location. No swapping skills with a soulstone, no muss, no fuss. 1 out of every 4 or 5 maps takes me a bit longer to dig, but I can live with that........I mean it ain't supposed to be that easy....right?

Whichever client you use, Have fun, THATS what it's all about!
Mac, for what it's worth, I have a guildie who SWEARS by EC for T maps! But I am using CC. I AM coming around to EC however, so who knows. :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember when paragons arrived with their chests and little green bags of Artie's. That was just after I shut the doors to y Brit lock pick tower and sold it.

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy there Keith,

Yeah, this last time I came back to UO I tried and stuck with, EC. I'm an old CC user, hell when I came back this time the first thing I did was load up CC and contacted Tug to get UOA going again, lol. Then I loaded up EC, and I haven't looked back. To each his own, I understand both views as I enjoyed both clients.

I posted a link to a video in one of my posts here on how to use the EC for thunting, it was originally posted by XXCorwin I believe. I think its one of the reasons I got attached to EC. Now if all the old programs I used to use in CC were still active, don't know if EC would have been quite as big a hit with me......that and I can actually find stuff in my backpack, lolol.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A new friend showed me a Davies jones locker and I might have to check those out, but I think they are a high end vet reward and my present account has only been active a total of 5 years over the last decade

Unless I remember wrong, I think the Davies' Locker Vet reward needs an 8th Year account to be claimed but once claimed, also younger Vet accounts can use it. If so, you would just need a friend with an 8th year Vet Account to claim it for you or buy one from some other player in game....