• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Smuggler's Lantern - Edge ?'s

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok been away from game for abit came back and spotted Smuggler's Lanterns for sale, tried searching this forum for info as I was told you can only get with stealing skill. Found limited posts talking about lanterns though 1 post mentioned you need the smugglers edge (equipped? or in pack??) to have a chance to steal special items (ie:smugglers lantern, is there other special items? know about balms they were about prior to my break though i didnt need smugglers edge to get) from monsters. Tried searching forum on smugglers edge but can find no references on where to get it. Nothing in FAQ or in the sticky on 'stealing from monsters' about lantern or edge.

Can someone give me a link to a post or explain the changes or what I need to know to get lanterns, Thanks

A

A Rev

You need to buy a smugglers edge from either a player or EA.

You need to beat on monsters with it, so also need fencing skill, it will attempt to steal from monsters as you hit them.

It is somewhere in here but i cant remember where i saw it, if i find it ill link

Found it!

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=174780

Daga Taga

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe it is "use best weapon skill"! And don't you have to be in fel or tram champ spawn? I can't remember I haven't use'd it in awhile.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Smugglers Edge is an item bought from uogamecodes.com, when you have it equipped and you attack a monster on the tram side of champ spawn locations or in any fel dungeon you have a chance to steal a special item such as the smugglers lantern, smugglers toolbox, or an increased chance at one of the special balms. (However, the smugglers edge is not required to steal balms and lotions from monsters.)

You can use any weapon skill as the blade is marked with "use best weapon skill". Your chance of success at a successful steal is based on your real stealing skill. +skill items will not help you.

Here's some info on it from the gamecodes store:
  • When you succeed in stealing an item and have a chance to steal a rare item, your stealing skill is temporarily set up among 80.0-110.0(random).
    • If your stealing skill is under 100.0 and temporary stealing skill is also under 100.0, your rare item stealing fails due to the shortage of the skill.
    • When your stealing skill is over 100.0, it serves as the minimum guaranteed skill, and a higher value is adopted.
  • If your stealing skill is over 100.0, you can get a bonus to the appearance ratio of a rare item.
    • 100.0-109.9: +1%
    • 110.0-119.9: +2%
    • 110.0-119.9: +3%
  • In addition to the existing rare items, the following two rare items may be able to be stolen only at the time of stealing with a smuggler's edge.
    • Smuggler's Lantern
      • Lantern with spellchanneling
      • 100 colors
    • Smuggler's Tool Box
      • You can pick up 5-12 lockpicks by consuming 1 charge.
      • 1 charge is recovered every 24 hours (Max: 10 charges).

Notes
  • This item can't be imbued.
  • Powder of fortifying doesn't work on this item.
  • You can alter this item to the gargish dagger by tinkering skill.
  • This item doesn't have blessed property in Siege/Mugen.
[Edit]
Just so you have all the numbers to calculate a correct percentage change to steal successfully, here's the info on stealing from monsters in general.
http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=29880

O

OK Lumberjack

Okay, this one just confused me. The Tram side of champ spawn locations? You mean spots in tram that correspond to the locations of champ spawns in Fel?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, this one just confused me. The Tram side of champ spawn locations? You mean spots in tram that correspond to the locations of champ spawns in Fel?
I believe that is correct, but it's been a while since I tested out where it worked and I can't remember where it was exactly.
Usually if I go hunting with it, it's in a fel dungeon anyway. I could be mistaken, but I believe it was all fel dungeons, any champ spawn location, or any champ spawn location's counterpart in tram. I'm not 100% certain about the tram part though.

O

OK Lumberjack

I think T-Hunt had the right of it. No results hunting in Tram corresponding locations, but two lanterns, a tool kit and various balms in different Ilsh champs.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That could be. As I said, it's been awhile since I went hunting with mine outside of fel.