[Auction] Skull Mug - ATL

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 19, 2010
ATL, LS
What does a skull mug go for on ATL these days? Do they generally move very quickly?

Thanks!

*** Converting this price check to an auction***

Auctioning my skull mug. I have an opening bid via PM of 30m. Buy-out is 50m. Auction ends at 12:00 eastern. thanks!

Attachments

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 19, 2010
ATL, LS
Sold to Apetul. Thank you! I'll get in touch with you via PM.

Also, DVI good points. I will make sure to make that clear in my next auction. I had meant 12am...Anyway, lesson learned. :)

D

DVI

No worries, and I had figured as much, but was having a bit of fun heh.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
Was that from the vendor with all the stealing bug FAKE rares? Looks like someone got taken. Just sayin....

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 19, 2010
ATL, LS
Oh god, I hope not. I did buy it off a vendor and resell it. How can I tell whether it is legit or fake? I don't see anything on it in the Book of False Rares Thread. I thought Skull Mugs were server birth rares.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
Every item on that vendor in your pic was fake. He had mushrooms, bottles, a winch and several other items that are bugs/exploits from the stealing bug that is supposedly still active. Several people paged on him and set up pets named fake rares and such. It looks like he was told by a GM to change his house sign to not use the word "rare" so his runes got changes to selling "stuff" too. Several people tried to keep people from buying off this guy but no one could just stay all day and hang out. I think the best way to tell fakes is the item weight. Of course on items that are not over 2 stones originally that does not help. The "skull mug" you bought was one of the new stealables with the smuggler's edge called drought or something or other. I will not go into details on how the name gets changed to the original default but it is similar to how the "bird" and "feathers" and such got changed a few years back. Perhaps we should get all the known items added to the book of false rares.

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 19, 2010
ATL, LS
Well that is beyond disappointing. It seems like a GM should do more than require a name change on exploited items. I'd think a delete of the items, etc. would have been in order.

So now...the mug I have in my collection is probably worthless too, since you can't tell the difference on them. I'd guess the value will plummet =( Perhaps we could create a complete list of these items.

S

shulginist

The stealing bug that I have seen changes the name of the item to its original default name but retains the color. Are they able to take a step further to change its color too?

There are a couple of vendors on Atl (One rune drops the other is in bottom right corner) that sells a lot of that junk.

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 19, 2010
ATL, LS
Hmmm...that is interesting. The mug I bought was not blue in color. It was gray.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 5, 2008
When its done to a clockwork assembly it loses its color as well... Im not sure what makes the difference.

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 14, 2008
Lake Superior
Ouch! :(

Ok, whats the difference between this *fake* skull mug and a real one? weight, color or what? This one was 1 stone and color like the picture on the OP.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
I have also heard that the new plant stains will dye the items after they have been changed. I have never tried that but that is what I have heard. It would seem odd that this vendor had a real rare with all his other items that were not real. I am not trying to blame anyone for anything but I know that the items this person had on his vendors are the same as several on other vendors that are from a known exploit. I hope for all involved that we don't see 500 skull mugs being sold in the next few days.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 14, 2008
Lake Superior
"You cannot dye that" is the msg i got using the stains.

But my question is still there.. whats the difference?

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
Did you try it on an exploited item or the original item? What I was told is after the item changes to the default "rare" name that it can be colored with the new stains or bleach, I cannot remember which.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 14, 2008
Lake Superior
I bought the Skull Mug from Jandruz on this thread and im trying stains, tok dyes and no one works.

Seems there is no way to know how to differentiate a real Skull Mug or a fake one.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
Then that does suck. And in a way it is a good thing. Did you try bleach? See if it uses up a charge when you do it. That is how the fake white daemon bone was created.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 14, 2008
Lake Superior
"You can only dye artifacts and enhanced magic items with this tub" message when i try to use Bleach. No charges used.
Not sure why this is a good thing lol.

btw, fake white daemon bone are easy to differentiate from a real one because they dont have a extra line that says "Daemon Bone".

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
True, for those who know about the progression of daemon bone armor. And it is good that it looks like perhaps the person had one real rare on the vendor with all the fake ones. There is one more thing that probably needs to be checked though and that is the scouring acid thing. That removes color as well.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 14, 2008
Lake Superior
I dont have a Scouring Toxin and i dont see one for sale on LS :/

And maybe the guy doesnt had a real rare on his vendor but seems that there is no way to differentiate a real one from a fake one.. so i guess the skull mugs will now have the same category as the 2story statues, scaffold, i stole this *** and tons of other duped rares.

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 19, 2010
ATL, LS
Hmm...here's my problem with this, Rowan: The mug I bought and resold to Apetul seems to be legit. It's color, weight, and title are correct. It has no indication of being forged or fake other than the fact that you popped into this thread to state otherwise. Now Apetul, myself, and everyone else are at a loss for how to treat these objects in the future. I'm not saying you did anything wrong. If these things (or other items) are fakes I want it plastered all over the boards so no one can fall into their trap, but we need some sort of identifying characteristic. Without some sort of proof, anyone (and am I not indicating that this is what you did...I am not...) can pop into any thread and say "oh such and such item, that's been duped or can be created by exploit, etc.")

It's just frustrating... =[

Apetul I have a scouring toxin. If you want I will give it to you to test the item.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
I totally understand where you are coming from. Here is the entire story from the beginning on my end so that you can see where I am coming from.

On Saturday Morning I logged in and found a rune at the bank that said "Selling Rares" so I recalled to it. On the vendor were the following items:
A Skull mug surrounded by Europa Gold or blaze bandaids
Multiple "Mushrooms"
Multiple "Bottles"
A bag with a set of the "Bottles"
A Winch
A Straw Pillow
a couple "Pumace" that were colored

All of the above items are well known stealing bug exploits. Perhaps I assumed that the Skull Mug was a fake. But what would all of you thought with all the other fake rares?

So, I confront the person asking why he is passing off items as rare. He proceeded to Ban me from the house. So I marked a few runes stating that the items were fake. A couple other people did the same and we all brought in pets and renamed them to warn people. He paged on me for harrassment. So I paged on him for selling well known exploited items as rare. Apparently there is no rule against selling exploited items as long as people are not being misled and I am fine with that.

During all of this the name of the house was changed from Rares to Stuffs. No GM ever talked to me about harassment and the house sign was changed and I logged out. I didn't even log in on Sunday and just pretty much figured I had done all that I could.

I noticed the bandaids in the pic you posted so it triggered the memory of all the stuff that happened on Saturday and I felt compelled to mention it here. I was not trying to make any false accusations and I may be completely wrong in my assessment of the skull mug HOWEVER I still think that based on all the other items on the vendor that it may in fact be fake.

I don't think anyone involved other than the original vendor owner knows the whole truth, but I would keep an eye on that vendor for another one as I bet it will happen.

S

shulginist

I hope for all involved that we don't see 500 skull mugs being sold in the next few days.
My buddy bought one from a guy at the bank in Luna on Atl for 20m a couple days ago. The guy originally wanted 40 but ended up selling for 20 after my friend made an offer. Seems there have been a few for sale this last week. Something to keep an eye on I guess.

G

Gunga_Din

See if you can fill the mug with something? I got one from a friend yesterday and poured wine into it. It didnt show at first but this morning i guess after server up, it says skull mug full of wine.

Did you try to double click on it?

Ok, i have 4 skull mugs all have handle on left side. I can fill all 4 and when i double click them a target comes up so i can click on myself to drink it.

When I double click a mana draught, it just told me i was already full of mana, none of my skull mugs did that. However, i double clicked a bottle of wine then targetted the mana draught, a pouring sound was made but no changes to the draught. I did it a 2nd time and the mana draught said it was full.

Mana Draught does not give a targeting cursor like a skull mug would to fill it from something or to drink from it.

BTW: No dyes, scouring toxin or bleach did anything to my mugs, therefore, i'm selling them each for 200mil :)

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 14, 2008
Lake Superior
See if you can fill the mug with something? I got one from a friend yesterday and poured wine into it. It didnt show at first but this morning i guess after server up, it says skull mug full of wine.

Did you try to double click on it?

Ok, i have 4 skull mugs all have handle on left side. I can fill all 4 and when i double click them a target comes up so i can click on myself to drink it.

When I double click a mana draught, it just told me i was already full of mana, none of my skull mugs did that. However, i double clicked a bottle of wine then targetted the mana draught, a pouring sound was made but no changes to the draught. I did it a 2nd time and the mana draught said it was full.

Mana Draught does not give a targeting cursor like a skull mug would to fill it from something or to drink from it.
a "Fill from what?" msg appears when i double click the skull mug.

Anyway.. this doesnt mean that all the existents Skull Mugs are server births. If the stealing bug on Mana Draught creates Skull Mugs, then those Skull Mugs will ACT exactly as the server birth ones. Its just another way of duping. There is no difference at all on the duped lt sashes, stealth cloaks, +5hp robes, etc with the original ones. Not a single difference.

G

Gunga_Din

a "Fill from what?" msg appears when i double click the skull mug.

Anyway.. this doesnt mean that all the existents Skull Mugs are server births. If the stealing bug on Mana Draught creates Skull Mugs, then those Skull Mugs will ACT exactly as the server birth ones. Its just another way of duping. There is no difference at all on the duped lt sashes, stealth cloaks, +5hp robes, etc with the original ones. Not a single difference.
I would say a fill from what may make your mug legit. I also question if the skull mugs were ever created from mana draughts to begin with. There was never any proof.

These guys would have to change the Title, Color and purpose/use of the mana draught to make it a skull mug. I could see title and color, but how the hell they gonna make it act like a skull mug too? They would also have to convert it from a single use [like a potion] to now a container. Maybe someone just trying to bring the value down :) and made this this rumor up to begin with.

Correction: The mana draught does act like a container because I can pour wine into it, but after that, when I double click, I do not get a targeting cursor to then select myself to drink from it. It still only says your mana is full. So, its got half the properties of a container, it fills but u cant drink what u pour into it.

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 19, 2010
ATL, LS
Gunga, Apetul, thanks for running those tests. This makes me feel much better. So, as I understand it, it would appear the mug is either legit, or a duped legit, but not a fake-exploit. Let's hope there is no new duping bug out there. I guess as of now, we have no proof they are being duped unless someone posts on here that they have in fact accomplished such a dupe. Anyway, the whole thing is screwed up. If they can dupe this, what's next? :(

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 5, 2008
Problems like this seem to come up and are just let go and maybe they will get fixed someday... If the gm's dont have a problem with them then why cant you just tell us how to do it so we can flood the market then they will be worthless and no one will get ripped off anymore.

Apetul

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 14, 2008
Lake Superior
These guys would have to change the Title, Color and purpose/use of the mana draught to make it a skull mug. I could see title and color, but how the hell they gonna make it act like a skull mug too? They would also have to convert it from a single use [like a potion] to now a container. Maybe someone just trying to bring the value down :) and made this this rumor up to begin with.
I hope this is a rumor.

But hey.. ill throw here my guess about the bugged items that changes names, color, weight and behavior.
Whats the first item with the "Mana Draught" graphic ever created in UO? Maybe im wrong, but i think its the Skull Mug.
What is easier for a dev when they want to create a new item like a Mana Draught? From a lazy developer perspective: easiest is to use the Skull Mug object and then use *Inheritance just to change a few things like color, weight, name and purpose.

Now think on any other related items...
(inherited object --> original object)
Balm of strenght --> Bottle
Clockwork Assembly --> Winch
a Hydra Scale. --> dragon scales
Sand --> Straw Pillow
An Arcane Gem --> Worldgem Bit
etc etc etc.

Then, when the exploit is used.. the item just turns into the original (or proper developer term: base object).

Well.. this is not a fact, this is just MY guess.

*Inheritance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inheritance_%28object-oriented_programming%29
From Wikipedia:
In object-oriented programming (OOP), inheritance is a way to form new classes (instances of which are called objects) using classes that have already been defined. Inheritance is employed to help reuse existing code with little or no modification. The new classes, known as Sub-classes (or derived classes), inherit attributes and behavior of the pre-existing classes, which are referred to as Super-classes (or ancestor classes). The inheritance relationship of sub- and superclasses gives rise to a hierarchy.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 20, 2008
Northern California
I'm actually working on a full list of the items from one exploit and as soon as I can get it up, I will. This includes the straw pillow, etc. Some of them like the red mushroom I think might have been fixed.

Based on the exploit I'm familiar with, the pvp stealables don't match the criteria, unless they have found another exploit to create them which might very well be possible.

I know this is disconcerting to not only the buyer/seller, but the community as well. I think this may be a false alarm. If it was a working method, I think we would be seeing a higher explosion of the pvp stealable graphics on the market, much like bamboo stools awhile back. I personally haven't seen many of them for sale. I have seen -a lot- of one exploit, but not the pvp stealables. Maybe it worked at one time and was fixed, maybe it still works. We really need more information before we start pointing fingers.

If anyone becomes aware of any of the pvp stealables (renamed) for sale, get some screenshots and figure out if we are indeed looking at another exploit. Best way we can to protect ourselves is to get the information to the devs as soon as possible.

Please make sure you do -not- discuss the details of this exploit or post clues on how to do it. I'll do my best to try and get up the list with screenshots as soon as I possibly can. If you have anything to contribute, please feel free to PM me.