• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skills Your how many times GM??

Z

Zyon Rockler

Allow all the skills on a character to reach their caps.

This way all the skills you have can be capped or maxed out. This way you can earn a complete char. that can do anything. If you just pick skills for a dexxer like 120 swords, 120 mace, 120 archery, and then have a seperate char. for a mage type templates that use int/mana.

Then you can make a char. that uses both a mix of intel and dex, like rangers for example.

This would cut back on how many chars. you would need but at the same time, would open up many more skills that could be learned or mastered.

The skill cap stays the same at 720 depending on how old your account is but every 24 hours you move skills into or out of an active skill set or group. If you wish to change a skill to either build up or replace with a skill you've already mastered, or just leave the 720 points of skill your using at the present time and not make any changes.

Soulstones would still be used for what they are used for now.

Without having to add more char. slots you could add races and skills without affecting already built templates.

BbqLou

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then they can't make their yearly Character slot so they can get some extra money to keep UO afloat, way to kill UO !

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most people would like having a char able to have all skills but that makes templates useless and all chars pretty much the same except for int/dex/str. Pvp would become unbearable and all monsters would have to be severly buffed up to stay a challenge. People already use cheap tactics to solo peerless that were never meant to be soloed, this would become even worse with maxed chars.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How long would the game be fun if this was allowed?

Remember its an MMorpg.

R

Radun

I don't even understand how the proposal is any different than how it works right now.

Z

Zodiac19

Allow all the skills on a character to reach their caps.

This way all the skills you have can be capped or maxed out. This way you can earn a complete char. that can do anything. If you just pick skills for a dexxer like 120 swords, 120 mace, 120 archery, and then have a seperate char. for a mage type templates that use int/mana.

Then you can make a char. that uses both a mix of intel and dex, like rangers for example.

This would cut back on how many chars. you would need but at the same time, would open up many more skills that could be learned or mastered.

The skill cap stays the same at 720 depending on how old your account is but every 24 hours you move skills into or out of an active skill set or group. If you wish to change a skill to either build up or replace with a skill you've already mastered, or just leave the 720 points of skill your using at the present time and not make any changes.

Soulstones would still be used for what they are used for now.

Without having to add more char. slots you could add races and skills without affecting already built templates.
We do this now with soulstones.

E

Ericge99

You want to GM all the skills on your char .. fine.
Just don't push it on others, OK. :loser:

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But if the chars were allowed to use all skills then pvp would die instantly. No one would be able to kill anyone haha. And then you would be able to solo any monster and what fun would that be?

Z

Zyon Rockler

Bbq Lou: lol, you're joking right? Funny thing is I thought about that and that's why I said about races. If UO adds races like human, elf, gargoyle, undead, angels, meers, dwarfes, etc.. and who knows what else the char. slots would no longer be about skill type templates, but more about what type of char. race your using. Only thing I did not like about elves was I had to give up my humanity to be one.

So, I hope we look ahead and plan for more races and more char. slots.

Z

Zyon Rockler

Most people would like having a char able to have all skills but that makes templates useless and all chars pretty much the same except for int/dex/str. Pvp would become unbearable and all monsters would have to be severly buffed up to stay a challenge. People already use cheap tactics to solo peerless that were never meant to be soloed, this would become even worse with maxed chars.
The cap would be the same, your char would still only be able to use (what they do now) but you could build other skills without losing what you already built up on that char. You would just take a skill out of your (active skill list) and add the one you wish to use. So, if you change out swords and replace it with archery you don't lose swords, it just becomes inactive.

Z

Zyon Rockler

How long would the game be fun if this was allowed?

Remember its an MMorpg.
That's the thing I have played UO a long time and we used to dream of being 7x gm. Then they changed it to 5x 120. I did not take the change well because I like to have 6 or 7 skills, rather than 5, but that's besides the point. The thing is once ppl got their 7x gm the game was over for alot of ppl because it was the highest level they could reach. Then, the change brought back alot of ppl to get their 120 Legendary Titles. Now that's over also, and with skills capped they don't have to play any more. So, there you have it. An MMO with all maxed out bank sitters. So, I say open these skills up so ppl can build them and use them.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I don't even understand how the proposal is any different than how it works right now.
Just open your skill sheet, set it so you see them all capped. Now, pretend every 24 hours you can pick any 720 points of skills on the list and use them. Now put it back to normal.

Z

Zyon Rockler

Sounds like you just need a lot more soul-stones!
That's one of the problems it would solve. I have about 10 soul stones and 40 odd frag. tokens, plus I could buy more if I wanted to. I don't think ppl can understand how nice it is to change out any skill you want to, unless they are like us and have 10 soul stones or maybe 20, but that's a problem because most ppl don't. So, I think they lose out and that even we don't get the full advantage of being able to build our skills.

Z

Zyon Rockler

We do this now with soulstones.
No, I don't believe we do. A Soul stone is for storing skills on a stone or for trading them off to another char. The soul stone doesn't allow you to store skills on your char skill sheet without using a stone.

Z

Zyon Rockler

You want to GM all the skills on your char .. fine.
Just don't push it on others, OK. :loser:
What i'm trying to do is give you a chance to build more skills and give you more flexibility for changing char's templates without having to worry about losing skills or build up new ones that you might have already mastered in the past.

That doesn't mean you have to build any skill at all but you would have that option and no pun intended but also the ability to do it.

Z

Zyon Rockler

wow.. just wow.. lol.

Just make 6 characters with the same name..
Hopefully we can view this from a different perspective. I find the time that we are building our skills is part of the fun. If we are able to store all of the gains our chars make it will give us more of a complete feeling than having that question, Will I have to change skills when the game changes? and lose all of my work. Or, Will I be able to save my work and maybe just make subtle changes rather then drastically dropping anatomy or tactics on a mage char. Sure, the stone works for this purpose but it only gives the illusion of not losing the skill you have built, but in reality your char. is still stripped of the skills that it has learned.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this is truely how you feel, why on earth are you playing an online game. Go play some game where you can enter the cheat codes.:coco:

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm turning one of my accounts into a sort of skill library with basically 6 completed characters and a free slot where I can make any character I need for one-shot roleplay stuff. I do this with soulstones. While I still have a lot of skills to GM or more (most elder scrolls are reasonable to raise and swap around, but legendary isn't practical for lots of swapping), it will be fun to have this toolbox. A lot of work, but worth it to be able to make characters on the fly who can actually do things.

However, the idea of making each character a toolbox that can become the character de jour is basically warped. If you really want to swap around skills quickly, test center might be for you, or do what I suggested above. However, I don't see this idea as being necessary, fun, or practical.

We need to give out a weekly award on Stratics for "insane idea of the week."

Jactiggy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Inquisitor, nice to see you're still living up to your 'Europa Village Idiot' name.