• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skills, combos and buffs

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I am not much into stats. I understand them to a certain extent but I have trouble applying facts to game play. So in this thread I want to talk about playability. I only have two skills up to 50, so they will be the only ones I share how I play.

COW/MENTALISM: this pairing works well for me as long as I don't get over powered with many opponents.
  • unarmed kick will help your animal kicks. Skill up unarmed to kick before you become a cow.
  • fairy in the forest gives you some other unarmed that are usable by animals making combos possible but I don't know how to make use of combos.
  • I like a good stun. Back kick is very effective.
  • I like a good basic melee with a quick reset time. Front kick works very well for this.
  • I like boosting the damage of my main attack. Moo of determination stacks with multiple Psi Adrenaline Waves, and all mentalism buffs are shared with other players near you. In turn, you gain mentalism buffs other players cast. They all stack. Its awesome.
  • I like a good pull, since I play alone a lot. Pulling just one mob is almost impossible in Gorgon, but System Shock provides a distance shot. This also makes it possible to farm deer for leather.
  • I like a good charge with melee types. There is no charge with cows, but thanks to a recent update, I can select a mob from a distance, activate an attack from there and my cow will run up (at normal running speed) and attack.
  • I like being able to replenish my power without store bought or looted potions. Moo of calm is my favorite thing ever, just for that. When I play other skills, I miss it. Embrace it. Use it. Moo of Calm.
  • I like flowers! Seeds are everywhere on the castle map. Grow them, then appreciate them for a 30 minute buff. So far I am getting various forms of power helps.
  • I like Furniture! Carpentry makes furniture which gives you a buff.
  • I like Cooking. Foods give buffs or serve as an instant replenish.
  • I like alchemy. All kinds of buffs.
  • I like stacking effects. You can stack a food, a snack, a furniture, an alchemy buff and a flower buff. On top of that you can stack multiple mentalism buffs. When I get to the lich in the Crypt, I make sure I have a flower, food and potion going, hit Moo of determination and at least two Psi Adrenaline waves. I go after him only after I lure the other stuff out and kill it. (Imagine a cow running around the perimeter to drag all those archers out of the room, then one hit kill them with a highly buffed Panic Charge. Its beautiful. Then have those buffs on and Front Kick the lich repeatedly.
  • I like gear! I don't do mitigations unless its on everything. I like my gear to be for everything, not something I have to switch out at certain situations. My pack is full enough as it is. I probably should carry around something for poison and fire, but I don't. I look for gear that ups my health, armor or power, and that gives a damage increase to a skill I use a lot. For some reason, I can equip a sword even though I can't use it. I have one that gives me +1 Power Regen, run boost after Chew Cud and a boost to all cow attacks. I have found with cow I am wanting to go against my norm and look for damage boosts rather than more defensive things. Some drops have both. I am not too far in leather crafting but gems will allow us to create armor with beneficial skill specific helps.
  • I love self heals! Get your first aid and armor repair before becoming a cow. Or when we get the cow version of Insidius Illusion. Graze gives you grass. Chew cud is a self heal that uses grass as a consumable. Then you have Reconstruct on the Menatalism side.
So, you can tell, I love being a cow. I got the curse in the normal way. I did the quest for the cure and then a few days later I recursed myself because I missed it. In doing so, I am now a perm cow. Cow gives me a stun, a heal, a damage buff and a way to replenish armor and power. I am trying other stuff with other characters, but I am not seeing anything as strong as cow/mentalism. Oh and cows can walk right up to deer without them running away.
OTHER THINGS I AM IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING:
  • FIRE MAGIC: I LOOOOOOVE making bonfires. Just saying. Flesh to Fuel is nice for power regen. No heal. You learn skills as if it were a craft. Lowest skills use salt, then as you go up it uses fire dust. Then sulfur which so far I haven't found. It looks like you gain more power and health as you level up, but for me, skills are stuck until I solve the sulfur issue. The ones I have are bully enough to keep a deer's attention, but havent tried it in dungeons yet. Right now I have it paired with mentalism, but really hoping for some variety in usable secondary skills.
  • ARCHERY: I love the variety of shot types and arrow types as well as having some at range 30 meters and 20 meters. And bonfires. Cant forget bonfires. Hook shot is a good deer grabber if you follow it with something that will increase their anger. Would like to see more variety in animations and in-shot effects. Bow Bash should be stronger. Snare arrow seems to have a bit of a stun. No heal or power regen. I have not seen any magic bows dropping. Need that. And bow making. Using Battle chemistry with this one. Gollum can help with health and power or help fight. Plus you have some close range attacks.
  • SPIDER: The way they walk is mesmerizing. I like it. You have a stun, a poison and a nice bite. You can lay a web trap, but I haven't perfected the use of it yet. You have another web ability that serves as a pull. Insidius Illusion allows you to trick an NPC into thinking you are not an animal for a few seconds. I used this to pick up first aid and armor patching. You have the ability to lay an egg in your target and if the target lives another 15 seconds, it hatches into a pet spider. So far th
  • e spider does not have much armor so you need to keep the aggro. I am trying to use psychology with this one but I am having huge power issues. I would rather have some variety than always fall back to mentalism. But spider has potential. It has some interesting moves. I just don't know if it will be as effective as cow when I get it to 50. I would expect it to be comparable except maybe be heavier on damage and lighter on armor. I haven't found a way to hunt deer. I can hit them with grappling web but they get over it and run away before they are in reach to anger it further. Pep talk is a heal and the only other heal so far is first aide. So far no power

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have seen folks take deer just to get the pets then revert back. Is it worth it to do that rather than use mentalism or battle chemistry for the buffs?

I am wondering if taking cow just for Moo of Determination and Moo of Calm would work....

edit: Nope. "You don't have the right equipment or shape for that." Darn.

Citan! That! What about an item that would allow ex-cows to use the Moo's?

Last edited:

Finkum

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think the deer pet summon ability lives on your third (special abilities) bar, so you don't have to worry about it displacing Mentalism or Battle Chemistry (or whatever your support skill of choice happens to be). It doesn't make a lot of sense to make the skill usable outside of Deer form but then force you to have the Deer combat skill active, as the other 5 ability slots are useless.

I would guess that eventually each of the animal form curses will have some form of persistent benefit even after the curse has been removed; there is already a gear-affix that grants hefty amounts of bonus armour to ex-cows, so that might be the intended cow version.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
aw, thanks I didn't know that deer summons went to the misc bar.