• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skill Gains & Caps...

J

joblackjon

I seem to remember, long, long ago that there was a co-relation between skill gain rate and skill cap? Something to the effect that if I have 90 skill, I will gain faster with a cap of 100 than with a cap of 120. Lesson being: don't eat a scroll until you're at your current cap.

Is this true or just UO myth?

5% Luck

Yes

Ill take the classic tailoring example of the oil cloth. You can make oil cloths until 98 with the skill cap of 100. Then eat the 120 scroll and continue gaining untill 109 from them.
With this example you can see how the skill points spread out when the cap was increased. So while the possible gains are packed tighter together the gains will come easier. But once the cap is increased a similar base gain action will still provide gains to a further point.

But...

Each skill is different because the action that ends in a skill gain is more or less easily done at different lvls. So if you have a skill that uses a more readily available action you would still eat the scroll earlier because the action that worked in the spread gain range was easer to do at a faster rate like with bushido. If i don't eat my scroll, to get to gm I must use evasion and momentum strike. While if i do eat the scroll I can gain off lightning strike past 105 with relative ease.

J

joblackjon

Wow...I can't believe I remembered that...but with a twist!
Thanks for the reply and the info.