• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skill Gaining (Stealing)

• Thread starter ¥§hàdòw¥
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
¥

¥§hàdòw¥

This is my first attempt at a Skill FAQ, so any addtions or comments would be welcome.

Stealing:
To gain stealing, first grab a packhorse, head to felucca, and tell it to guard you. Now steal the appropriately weighted items which you place inside its pack over and over. Remember to TARGET steal.

The general accepted weight to steal for gains is 1/10 your skill- ie. at 90 steal 9 stones, at 8 steal 8, and so on.

Here's the guide I used many moons ago.
0-30 buy
30-35 3 stones
35-45 4 stones
45-55 5 stones
55-65 6 stones
65-75 7 stones
75-85 8 stones
85-95 9 stones
95-100 10 stones
100-110 11 stones
110-120 12 stones

It doesn't matter what you steal, as long as it meets the weight requirement. I hear a lot of people are using stacks of gold. I believe 50gold = 1 stone. Also, the numbers above are not set in stone. Sometime is helps to switch later or earlier, all dependent on how your gaining.

One thing that helps a lot with my training was using UOA. Below is rough draft of what the macro should look like for one attempt;

use skill/cast spell -stealing
target -the target
pause 10000-10500 (This can vary depending upon your lag)

I usually placed a large quanty of items in my packy and recorded a macro of target stealing each one. When done, push the button, sit back and relax and watch the gains come.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Questions (I know the answers, but a new thief may not):

When you buy the packie and head to Felucca, should you be in a guild?

Can I do this in my Felucca house or a boat? Or does it need to be in a bank or other populated area?

Why Fel? Can't I gain from stealing from a guilded pack horse in Trammel?

C

cheerful

I am currently gaining stealing in Buc's Den blacksmith shop Europa, place backpack on floor and steal appropriate weighted item, npc's call the guards but it's outside the zone, worked from 60 to 68 thus far.
Small oversight on my part, forgot to mention that this in in Tram.

R

Robthemilt

I found stealing portions of gold or bandages to get annoying. So I started useing single items that weighed what I needed to gain. And im not sure on the actual effects of training, but the question about populated area is interesting, because an audience effects your success chance.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We now have a FAQ at the top of the board, if any experienced thieves want to read and offer suggestions for improvements, or point out any errors, I'm sure it can be edited. I did my best to update and improve on Neon Ninja's FAQ, which is now quite badly out of date.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's a handy tip for those who are trying to train Stealing by more "rules-intended" means than using a pack animal.

IF you are training in a blacksmith shop, occasionally, you'll end up with a container with a large ore. Naturally, you can't steal that 12-stone weight - but you CAN click it, and target a small ore in your pack, which will combine the large ore(s) as 4 small per large ore, with the smalls in your pack. This won't trigger guards, and clears out room in the container for other items to spawn (or reveal items hidden by the ore).

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oooh! I didn't know that! That's definitely worth adding to the FAQ, maybe under a 'Quirks and Tricks' heading?

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think if you intend to eat a PS you should do so right away. I know for tailoring if you do that you can still make items that you would normally be at 100% success rate for crafting, and get gains, because of the way the gaining system is set up. I ate a 115 scroll a couple days ago and was gaining off of stealing a 4 stone item in the 50's (nice regular gains and much faster because the success rate was higher due to the weight of the item). I'm at 58ish now, I'll keep doing the thigh boots till I'm in the 60's I think (when gains should slow down) and switch to a 5 stone item.

¥

¥§hàdòw¥

Sarsmi is correct. I thought that might be the case, but I didn't include it in my FAQ in case I was wrong. I've been gone for a few days and haven't had a chance to reply to the questions above. If I have time this morning, I'll try addressing those.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got from GM to 120 using the same dye tub, on the same packie. Did I mention that although it can take longer, the RoT sysem is much easier to gain stealing with...la

¥

¥§hàdòw¥

I got from GM to 120 using the same dye tub, on the same packie. Did I mention that although it can take longer, the RoT sysem is much easier to gain stealing with...la
That's good to hear. I haven't hit the point where RoT kicks in, but seeing your post makes my day.

C

cheerful

Glad someone else has posted about Buc's..was being to think my skill gains were a figment of my imagination.:D

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Questions (I know the answers, but a new thief may not):

When you buy the packie and head to Felucca, should you be in a guild?
You do not need to be a member of a guild to steal from a pack llama, pack horse, or blue beetle. You can train either in a guild or not, it is your preference, there is no difference.

Can I do this in my Felucca house or a boat? Or does it need to be in a bank or other populated area?
I train in a city, usually Britain or Jhelom, since it is convenient to buy the proper weight items and log in/out. I do not have access to a Felucca house. My guess is that you can train anywhere in Felucca you like.

Why Fel? Can't I gain from stealing from a guilded pack horse in Trammel?
If you try to steal from a pack animal in Trammel, it will block your attempt. This occurs wether you are in a guild or not. Alternatively, you can gain stealing from a guilmate in Trammel. This is a good way to gain if the guildmate is also training the skill and roughly at the same skill value (no need to reload any pack animals). You will have to be at least 60.0 skill and a member of the Thieves' Guild to steal from your guildmate.
These responses (blue text) are based on my current training of the skill (finally over 84.0). These are very good questions, and I hope the FAQ does/will address them. I had to hunt for these answers when I started training this skill.

Stayin Alive,

BG

G

gmcbroom

I seem to be stuck at 66.0 I was stealing boards from my beetle, yet I can steal up to 7 and 8 boards now. The pick axe\hammer is 9 stone and I can steal that easy too. So can someone recommend a single item that I can steal that'll get me to RoT?
Thanks ahead.
Tel

G

gmcbroom

Never mind I've made it to 69.3 stealing nothing but the Buthchers war Cleaver I have. I have no idea whay it works it just did.
Sincerely,
Tel

B

Branwyn of Errol

My sticky fingered sister Delores Duende used a bokuto to get to RoT. Once you are in RoT anything of a reasonable weight for your skill will give you a gain.

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Training on the go!

On Siege ( ROT System ),

It would be silly to stand around with a pack horse waiting for your 5 - 12 minute timer to expire, there are too many people to be stolen from ( or killed ). * evil grin *

What I do is cast a mirror image of myself ( in human form ), snoop its backpack, and place an item of correct weight inside.

Do not place anything valuable in pack, as you cannot remove it without stealing it, and if the mirror image expires before you succeed in stealing, the item is lost.

No pack horse needed once past 70 skill ( if you have ninjitsu ).

Just be careful not to get too close to anything that might attack you while doing this, it might kill the image.

I

infundibulum

I got lucky when trying to train stealing. I met a friend in game who was also interested in training, so we formed our own guild with just our two chars, with the understanding that we would only be carrying appropriate weight items and met up once a week (disguised) in Luna's little conference room upstairs to train. It worked out nicely because not only did we gain at approx. the same rate, and did not have to go through the tedium of putting all of your items back in the pack animal every time you emptied it, but we were able to meet some other people interested in gaining the same way, and trade information and ideas. Kind of fun actually. Makes me wonder what would happen if we could manage to organize.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are there any monsters you can steal from to gain over 50? I'd like to make an archeologist, but I'm looking for a way that lets me role-play the character "naturally" while working through to the eventual endgame.

I stalled at 50 skill off monsters (which was rather disappointing given I could have just started there) and abusing a pack animal for training isn't really what I have in mind.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I Have Built 8 Thiefs On Different Shards And Have Done Them All With Piles Of Gold On Packies. The Thing With Gold Is You Will Only Steal Your Skill Amount And Still Gain. (Ex. I Put 500 gp piles and would steal up to 4 stones of it at 40) Sometimes You Will Steal More Then Your Skill But You Will Also Gain. Took About 16 Hours Per Thief. You Can Also Gain Snooping At The Same Time Just Make Sure You Close The Backpack After Every Steal.

Stealing From Monsters Requires Gm Or higher To Be Succesful So Would Not Be Wise To Start At 50.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's too bad. Although I am interested in the stealables of the endgame, I am more interested in finding an entertaining road to get there.

J

Jermosh

You can steal from any NPC at any time I believe, you cannot steal anything above your weight limit tough, and you need to be GM to get the special Items. The trick with what you are attempting to do is to have snooping and snoop the monster and target the weight zone item you are looking for. I would suggest Orcs since they usually have lots of different size loot and will not kill you in one swipe. Or you could do shawdow wisps since they do not do a Karma loss and carry differant size body parts or bones, try the spawn in Ish if you have positive Karma.

http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/stealing.shtml

Good luck!

J

Jermosh

I also think the Deathbeatle hatchling will not give a karma loss as well, but I have not confirmed that.