• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

{SKILL BALANCING} Throwing v Archery

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my post that I posted in TC forum which seem to be very deserted so I will repost it here more possibly more attention.

Ok we all know throwing WILL WHIFF on the first throw (which doesnt take any trick to reproduce) so lets set it aside.

Throwing has faster swing speed per damage or DPS (damage per second) than archery on paper BUT in reality they dont hit softer and swing slower compare to archery.

1. Throwing has no quiver's 10% MODIFIED damage which increase the FINAL ARCHERY DAMAGE by 10% which pretty much made up for the lower base damage difference archery have compare to throwing.

2. Archery weapons are allowed to go to 40ssi which makes up the slower base speed archery has compare to throwing. (also throwing graphic glitch makes them MUCH MUCH slower).

3. You throw your weapon too close you get a HCI penalty shoved right up your @@@.

4. You throw your weapon too far you get a hefty DI penalty shoved right up your @@@ again.

5. Why you made 150 str which is the absolutely hardcap the requirement to use throwing at their max range?

5a. OK so we sunk a lot of stat points into strength so we can use our throwing weapons at their capable range BUT when we do throw them at their max range we get slapped by a HUGE DI penalty? Why are you double punishing throwing skill?

6. Why you made 150 dex ALONG WITH 120 SWORDSMANSHIP so we can use our throwing weapon at close range and not losing HCI that archery can do with 10 dex and 0 melee weapon skill?

7. There seem to be an animation delay for throwing... I have 180 stam rocking a 30ssi boomerang which I should be able to throw once every 1.25sec at swing cap yet I swing much slower... it seems to be 1.25 sec + the time for weapon return animation to finish? My archer shooting repeater at capped swing speed attacks faster than my thrower could throwing boomerang at the same server capped swing speed as archery?

8. Why we have to whiff our first throw 99% of the time as a legendary bladeweaver even if our target is merely a mongbat/cow/bird/dog/cat and so on?

OK, why do a blade weavers need the following skills AND HAVE TO MAINTAIN X TILES away from their enemy:
I will be nice and put it in some nice equations for you...

1.(120 Throwing + 120 Swordsmanship + 150 DEX + 150 STR) = 120 Archery

2.Throwing Sweet Spot ONLY 2 set tiles DI/HCI = archery at ANY RANGE.

3. Archer can shoot at MAX DAMAGE from 0 tile thru 10 tile. Throwing cant.

4. Archer can shoot at MAX HIT CHANCE from 0 tile thru 10 tile. Throwing cant.

In conclusion, other than throwing being 1 handed weapons (which is kinda lacking in selections currently) and takes no ammo to fire, archery is better than throwing in EVERY SINGLE WAY POSSIBLE in comparison...

and I dont see how throwing skill being one handed (which is really nothing but a free balanced mod WITH a -10 max ssi penalty) and cost no ammo to use is "good enough" to make up for all the craps that archery skill never had.

Please spend sometime and testing it and you will know why I said IMO "Throwing is like Archery -2"... and possibly correct all these issue as part of the "supposedly" ongoing PvP balance pass.

Thanks for your time.

Also, if you think throwing is not that bad then please patch archery to work like throwing. And come to Uhall and get rdy for the riots started by all the angry archers that says throwing is fine at its current stat. :gee:

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shameless bump.

Make archery to work like throwing and see how everyone feels please. Kthx.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my post that I posted in TC forum which seem to be very deserted so I will repost it here more possibly more attention.

Ok we all know throwing WILL WHIFF on the first throw (which doesnt take any trick to reproduce) so lets set it aside.

Throwing has faster swing speed per damage or DPS (damage per second) than archery on paper BUT in reality they dont hit softer and swing slower compare to archery.

1. Throwing has no quiver's 10% MODIFIED damage which increase the FINAL ARCHERY DAMAGE by 10% which pretty much made up for the lower base damage difference archery have compare to throwing.

2. Archery weapons are allowed to go to 40ssi which makes up the slower base speed archery has compare to throwing. (also throwing graphic glitch makes them MUCH MUCH slower).

3. You throw your weapon too close you get a HCI penalty shoved right up your @@@.

4. You throw your weapon too far you get a hefty DI penalty shoved right up your @@@ again.

5. Why you made 150 str which is the absolutely hardcap the requirement to use throwing at their max range?

5a. OK so we sunk a lot of stat points into strength so we can use our throwing weapons at their capable range BUT when we do throw them at their max range we get slapped by a HUGE DI penalty? Why are you double punishing throwing skill?

6. Why you made 150 dex ALONG WITH 120 SWORDSMANSHIP so we can use our throwing weapon at close range and not losing HCI that archery can do with 10 dex and 0 melee weapon skill?

7. There seem to be an animation delay for throwing... I have 180 stam rocking a 30ssi boomerang which I should be able to throw once every 1.25sec at swing cap yet I swing much slower... it seems to be 1.25 sec + the time for weapon return animation to finish? My archer shooting repeater at capped swing speed attacks faster than my thrower could throwing boomerang at the same server capped swing speed as archery?

8. Why we have to whiff our first throw 99% of the time as a legendary bladeweaver even if our target is merely a mongbat/cow/bird/dog/cat and so on?

OK, why do a blade weavers need the following skills AND HAVE TO MAINTAIN X TILES away from their enemy:
I will be nice and put it in some nice equations for you...

1.(120 Throwing + 120 Swordsmanship + 150 DEX + 150 STR) = 120 Archery

2.Throwing Sweet Spot ONLY 2 set tiles DI/HCI = archery at ANY RANGE.

3. Archer can shoot at MAX DAMAGE from 0 tile thru 10 tile. Throwing cant.

4. Archer can shoot at MAX HIT CHANCE from 0 tile thru 10 tile. Throwing cant.

In conclusion, other than throwing being 1 handed weapons (which is kinda lacking in selections currently) and takes no ammo to fire, archery is better than throwing in EVERY SINGLE WAY POSSIBLE in comparison...

and I dont see how throwing skill being one handed (which is really nothing but a free balanced mod WITH a -10 max ssi penalty) and cost no ammo to use is "good enough" to make up for all the craps that archery skill never had.

Please spend sometime and testing it and you will know why I said IMO "Throwing is like Archery -2"... and possibly correct all these issue as part of the "supposedly" ongoing PvP balance pass.

Thanks for your time.

Also, if you think throwing is not that bad then please patch archery to work like throwing. And come to Uhall and get rdy for the riots started by all the angry archers that says throwing is fine at its current stat. :gee:
I 100% agree with this and already sent feedback to the Devs and made a post on "Ask The Devs" about the throwing speed problem. The skill just flat SUCKS, period.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nerf magery to bring throwing up to a level to adequately compete with mages. Every mage is whooping my backside and I can't hit them on the the first throw to HLD them.

-Lorax

p.s.

sorry WarUltima...

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nerf magery to bring throwing up to a level to adequately compete with mages. Every mage is whooping my backside and I can't hit them on the the first throw to HLD them.

-Lorax

p.s.

sorry WarUltima...
Mages were the weak ones for a good while before the pot nerf and the JOAT nerf so I don't think nerfing mages is a good answer. Most mages are HLD proof anyway so that wouldn't do you much good. Gotta get better at healing timing and appling if you wanna do better vs mages. But least you can beat mages with other skills that AREN'T throwing because that skill is SO BAD.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re:

Generally speaking, thinking how to limit others' skills because one's own is over-looked is not very constructive. The nmst simple and effective solution would be to boost Throwing.

By the way, I wonder how well a Samurai or Ninja Bladeweaver would work.. Anyone tried that?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 10% DI from quivers applies to any melee weapon skill, not just archery. Quivers can now be altered into wing armor, so gargoyles can wear them. This is now a moot point.

Stayin Alive,

BG

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 10% DI from quivers applies to any melee weapon skill, not just archery. Quivers can now be altered into wing armor, so gargoyles can wear them. This is now a moot point.

Stayin Alive,

BG
No, quiver modified damage does not work on anything but archery.

And even if you alter it to wing armor and all of a sudden it gives double the bonus (20% modified damage) it still wont make throwing any more useful than it's uselessness right now.

Besides the fact is quiver modified damage doesnt do jack to anything BUT archery. You have your info wrong.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Stayin Alive,

BG
Yeah.... it doesn't...

the 10% Damage Bonus (it's not DI) only works with Archery. Nothing else, gargs can change quivers to wing armor for the 5DCI on the quiver of infinity.

Nice commenting about something you don't understand x2.