• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Since We Are On the Topic of Fishing & Pirates..

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So after playing UO forever, I finally made a fisher. Why in the heck does every fish have to weight 10 lbs! I wish every fish I caught weighed 10 lbs. I could eat like a king every day =p.

Seriously though. This is through the eyes of a "new" fisher. It really is not fun having to clean your backpack every 5 min or so. Please make the fish a random weight. 1 to 10 lbs maybe? Or some way to click your backpack and dump the fish in the hold? I am only at 77 skill & I am already getting tired of cleaning out my backpack so often. Not only that, but I cannot drag & drop fish into the hold so they stack if my boat is turned a certain direction.. I have to turn my dang boat sometimes to get the fish to drop in the hold.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So after playing UO forever, I finally made a fisher. Why in the heck does every fish have to weight 10 lbs! I wish every fish I caught weighed 10 lbs. I could eat like a king every day =p.

Seriously though. This is through the eyes of a "new" fisher. It really is not fun having to clean your backpack every 5 min or so. Please make the fish a random weight. 1 to 10 lbs maybe? Or some way to click your backpack and dump the fish in the hold? I am only at 77 skill & I am already getting tired of cleaning out my backpack so often. Not only that, but I cannot drag & drop fish into the hold so they stack if my boat is turned a certain direction.. I have to turn my dang boat sometimes to get the fish to drop in the hold.
Sadly if every fish were a random weight the frelling things wouldn't stack... I personally know how you feel but I suppose that's to cut out AFK fishing to make the pack so overweight in such a short time... but honestly I think they forget that new and younger players play the game too and everything doesn't have to be about stopping scripting... there are far better ways one of which is the limited amount of fish you can get from one spot to counter AFK scripting... adding more dangerous things to pop up for higher level characters boat fishing is another way they could combat AFK macroing of gathering fish.

That's my 2cents.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I just stack the fish around me. Once they are not biting in a specific area I walk along the shore until I find another spot where they are biting and start another pile, or sail down the water with the pile at my feet. Once you have a specific type of fish at your feet and catch another one of the type it auto stacks there as well. Once I am done fishing I grab my blue bug.. load up and make trips to the house.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh yeah... and I do not keep fish in my boat. Got tired of not being able to dock the thing without spending forever to unload the thing..

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just stack the fish around me. Once they are not biting in a specific area I walk along the shore until I find another spot where they are biting and start another pile, or sail down the water with the pile at my feet. Once you have a specific type of fish at your feet and catch another one of the type it auto stacks there as well. Once I am done fishing I grab my blue bug.. load up and make trips to the house.
<slaps himself on the forehead>. ...they stack like when you have ore at your feet? I do not know why I did not think of that. "Runs off to try this". Yes! it works. As a habit from the old days, I never let stuff stack out of my pack, because people always stole your resources. But I am on my own boat, so no chance!

Thanks, man!

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love this post, you may enjoy the huntmaster challenge/quest.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
But I am on my own boat, so no chance!
Thanks, man!
Well... just make sure your mooring lines are not set to public. I mean, there's not a lot of fish thievery that happens, but ya never know. :)

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First thing I'd recommend is getting yourself a Giant Beetle. Us fishermen call them 'tackle boxes' or 'fish coolers'. ;) Also sent you a PM with some other ideas.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mine is a Giant Blue Whale... tis where I store me fish. If you have Tamer or a friend who is a Tamer have them tame you a Goat... You can bond this animal and use it as a garbage dump to keep the boots, shoes and sandles from littering up your deck. (Yes they eat them... they are the mobile trash cans of UO)

Or if you are in need of gold you can store them up and sell them to the Cobbler.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If you have Tamer or a friend who is a Tamer have them tame you a Goat... You can bond this animal and use it as a garbage dump to keep the boots, shoes and sandles from littering up your deck. (Yes they eat them... they are the mobile trash cans of UO)
Been gone a little while and haven't really fished since I got back so forgive the noobie question :p

Do goats outright eat the shoes etc now? I know I always had to put them in a bag and then feed the bag to the goat to get him to chomp them down..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Been gone a little while and haven't really fished since I got back so forgive the noobie question :p

Do goats outright eat the shoes etc now? I know I always had to put them in a bag and then feed the bag to the goat to get him to chomp them down..
You know it's been awhile since I've been fishing with my goat but.. I think I've always put them in a bag... but I can't rightly recall... I just know he always ate them.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Either way, still a great tip to pass along for sure :D ... was hoping once I hit 120 I would quit fishing those things up lol

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Either way, still a great tip to pass along for sure :D ... was hoping once I hit 120 I would quit fishing those things up lol
One can dream... but yes you'd think a 120 fisherman would have better odds but they seem to be everywhere.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
it is a pain to unload many different types of fish, but what worse is unloading the garbage lol
I sure use to fish up a lot of garbage. now I know where all the women's footwear gets thrown away to lol. I use to fill some footwear bods while fishing lol

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mine is a Giant Blue Whale... tis where I store me fish. If you have Tamer or a friend who is a Tamer have them tame you a Goat... You can bond this animal and use it as a garbage dump to keep the boots, shoes and sandles from littering up your deck. (Yes they eat them... they are the mobile trash cans of UO)

Or if you are in need of gold you can store them up and sell them to the Cobbler.
I love that idea! Usually just stuff the junk on the inevitable corpse that presents itself.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could you imagine if they added a context menu option on a ship's hold to allow you to "Dump All Fish" into it? That would make it so much easier. Hell, i remember years and years ago when they were talking about adding a seahorse mount for Fishermen, that you could go on the water with and store fish inside it's belly. Hence where we got the seahorse graphic for Statuettes and Aquarium ones.
They really do need to make it where if you're GM+ Fishing, you won't fish up shoes anymore. Hell, i'd rather have the fishing attempt flat out fail, than pull up some shoes that i have to dump from my pack.

If you have High Seas, you fish up 10 pound fish. If you don't have High Seas, then you still fish up 1 pound Fish (i just have to do this after saying that, lol).
That guy would've been the most successful fisherman at Brit Bank in the old days, when people actually bought fish steaks.

Last edited:

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it is a pain to unload many different types of fish, but what worse is unloading the garbage lol
I sure use to fish up a lot of garbage. now I know where all the women's footwear gets thrown away to lol. I use to fill some footwear bods while fishing lol
The ability to unload all of the different fish to a specified container with just 1 click exists. The ability to unload anything you feel is garbage to your trash can with just 1 click also exists. These tools are in the Enhanced Client. I hate the EC vs CC threads and am not posting this to start that fight. Just information for any who are unaware. Even some EC users I have met did not know they could do that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The ability to unload all of the different fish to a specified container with just 1 click exists. The ability to unload anything you feel is garbage to your trash can with just 1 click also exists. These tools are in the Enhanced Client. I hate the EC vs CC threads and am not posting this to start that fight. Just information for any who are unaware. Even some EC users I have met did not know they could do that.
I was actually using that said feature to move all the chocolateering items from my bag to my storage... sure saves a lot of hand work.

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You think 10 stone fish are bad, wait until you really get into crab and lobster fishing. The amount of regular (ie. useless) crab and lobster you get is disgusting. Please, someone get rid of those things!!!

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk