• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"Simple" question: Is a PvM Thief worth it?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Simple" question....Though of course it's not really so simple.

Is it worth it, both in terms of economics and fun, to make a PvM/rares thief?

I've always felt it'd be kind of fun to make a PvM Thief-Warrior, as there are many models in fantasy literature (Bilbo Baggins; Tasslehoff; the Gray Mouser). Galen actually began his UO life with a minimal amount of lockpicking and stealing (this was pre-Trammel; whether or not I intended to steal from other players I will not reveal), though I never pursued it.

But given UO mechanics, is it worth it? Is it even viable?

-Galen's player

Mazulat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly yes. Now more than before of course, with the new additions, but it has always been useful if not so much profitable. I both pvp and pvm with my thief and it gives me alot of flexibility. I am not as tough in a fight as alot of pure pvp thieves, but i do pretty well. AND factions have a huge use for stealing toons, though not expected to fight ( making it a non-pvp thief action??)

It's really a matter of how you enjoy playing and what items ya want to steal, plus the amount of time you want to spend logging and tracking the spawn timers in order to compete of against the scriptor-bot thieves.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also consider how many +Stealing items are also +stealth, and you get to add in the uses of Stealth into the mix for thieves.

For example, my thief routinely makes runs into the labyrinth for minotaur artifacts, in addition to going for stealables elsewhere.

Mazulat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Completely forgot about the minotaur quest. It's not really stealing...but it is a very profitable sideline to the template. The 3 chests of loot ya get for completion are usually good for 1-3 sellable/usable items, with only time for gathering the items as an expenditure. Collecting gaman horns can make ya nuts though....be warned. haha
...with the shadow dancer legs, burglers bandana, and some good jewelry, it leaves ya the points for a hide/stealth/steal template with some extras like tracking ( for finding either the player or a high fame critter to steal new balms from) lockpicking (for hitting the chests in dungs and towns) ninjitsu ( the "i better haul a$$ or see grey" button ). Lockpicking is pretty common for non pvp thieves but not an exclusive skill, as my deicated Bard/T-Hunter uses the skill 90% of the time. Just a soul stone away if I wanna use it.
Stealing is a great skill. It's all about the template you build around it and how you intend to use the char. I used to use mine for RP on a daily basis. The RP on great lakes was set up with all active guilds warred to each other, so theft and picking "city funds' boxs was a regular occurance...along with the typically quick response from the city lawdogs. It wasn't a true theft but it made for a very interactive RP.

O

OxAO

I already had a stealth mage spell weaver for a support charcter. It didn't take me very long at all to get 115 using items for skill. I had to remove magic resistance but that is fine.

i have stollen alot of these new items.. I have not put them to use yet.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are selling for 400 - 1 mil

As for daily rares and other stealables only the high end one are worht it since they have been flooded inot the market.

Also as already said if you put the time in to find the rough spawinig times for some of the rarer ones they can be very profitiable.

Weins

Akalabeth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The higher the fame of the monster, the better chance of getting a new balm?

If so, I definitely need to move to higher monsters than ettins. :)

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ANyhow I tag along with a freind or two who is going to kill High end monsters for Fame, or Honor.

I have been to Balies a few times and spent a few hours there stealing off the ballies as they kill them off.

I have found these are the highest fame monsters I can easily steal from as they are getting eaten down as they do not have area efect spells.

I think I am going to hit Doom for a few runs and see how it goes there.

I will let you all know.

Weins

H

house4saleUO

The higher the fame of the monster, the better chance of getting a new balm?

If so, I definitely need to move to higher monsters than ettins. :)

Well as far as the balms go I just hit the Tok champ spawn. I average one balm every 20 death beetles or lizard men. Not sure how the fame works into the pic cause if you do the math I think the drop rate for the balms is higher then what they are stateing or I'm just lucky! Tok seems to be the eisiest champ to work if its on level one spawn. Although If a Rat spawn is up in Ishy by Humility gate or Valor gate 1st level is easy there also. I havn't tried Fel yet, and prob won't since I can get the balms just as easy in Tram. On Baja the balms are selling for around 200k except for the life one, its selling for 750k to 1 mil. GL and happy steeling!! Bai of Baja

J

J0KING

Definately!!! As long as they keep releasing new things to steal people will want them when they first come out...

I made the largest sum of my money from selling the Doom stealables and then again when the Tokuno stealables were released... I am not sure what the new stuff is priced at... but it will sell because it is the newest thing...

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't take, my thief out yet...too much xshard trading...but my other half's thief has made roughly 9 mil already off the new items. And that's only stealing an hour or so a day. So ya I'd say it's worth it.

G

GL_Seller

The thief is a fun template no matter what you steal from. As others have stated is a very good source of income if you want to put in the time to find out items drop cycle.

Also for the balms fell is much faster :) wont tell what i steal from but i get over 40 a half hour and never a chance of deaths unless some pks look for me but they havent yet :)

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a lot of pvm thieves do it for fun and not really for profit. With the addition of the balms though, I think there's the potential to profit. :)

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just rubbing our noses in it?

You either are at a spawn or killing them off since oyu can only steal from each one once.

I am calling BS until you explain your methods?

:love:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can understand your reluctance to reveal your location. Pks can read too :D. However 40 in half an hour takes a little believing.

I think I'd be hard pushed to make 40 steals in half an hour, never mind 40 plus failures plus successes that give gold/gems/scrolls etc.

G

GL_Seller

Ok since these are no longer selling worth a **** on my shard ill tell you all how i do it. You can go see for yourself how many you get.

Get pos karma dont need alot just need positive karma. Think my thief is good or something like that. Go to oaks spawn in fellucca. If its not started pop it. Steal from the dark wisps that spawn on first level. Only steal once per wisp. If you dont get anything the first try kill it and move on. As you wont ever get one no matter how many times you try.

The wisps have 0 loot so you will never lose karma or steal gold etc. Any successful steal will be a balm.

So remember steal once if you dont get a item kill it and move to next one. I did this nonstop for over hour+ never increased the spawn and got tons of balms.

So try it and let me know how correct i am :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm, maybe I'll try that, will have to get knight of valor first though to be able to start it.

btw those are shadow wisps, dark wisps are a whole different kettle of fish. If you ever set foot on Siege you will need to know the difference.

I wish I had when I first started there!!

G

GL_Seller

Yes your right they are shadow wisps sorry. was typing in a hurry wasnt sure which one it was at that moment. My thief is already knight after doing it for a couple days. One day oaks was the daily pop so was nice the other i had my blue go down there and start it for me.

Its not hard i trained in fencing which is like 30 or so and i kill the wisps in one shot with a newbie dagger.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am still a little sceptical about 40 per 1/2 but yes very effective

Setup a UO Assist macro with Steal (pause 2 Secs) cast E bolt then target last target.

Went thru them pretty fast just hav to rem the puse timer between steals.

Some gave a message item to heavy to steal, body parts inside.

i didnt get to track count as i lost connection for a extended period.

I do have over 40 total noe with a few of each.

I know somoe asked if all 9 have been gottne answer is yes.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried the new stealing on test by tossing stealing on a pure fighter before the main shard release. Was great to get in a spawn area with a disarm/arm macro set in the corner of some dungeon. Rob them blind and gut them for the respawn. And with soul stones what is it to toss the skill on a parry fighter on your main shard.

A

Arch Magus

Is a PvM Thief worth it?
Not to me. Too boring.
It's way more exciting stealing SOT's, powerscrolls and Replicas from spawners in Felucca.
I've made 100's of mils from Stealing at spawns. Plus I've made a few friends (some would call them enemies, lol).