• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sigil dyed items

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember what was the final verdict on those?
Are they legal to have?
Legal to trade?
*looks for memory pills*
damn...

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I´m 97% sure I´ve heard from multiple sources over the years that they are legal nowadays. 97%...

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm 100% sure they're officially legal. Originally they were bannable, but from a business perspective, there were too many players who had them.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are these the purple items, like spellbooks, etc.? Could any item be dyed with the sigil hue, so long at they could be dyed at all?

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Are these the purple items, like spellbooks, etc.? Could any item be dyed with the sigil hue, so long at they could be dyed at all?
If it could be equipped it could be hued sigil. And through the years there has been various other ways to "dye" items sigil through xploited dye tubs leather/runebook and metal

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if im not mistaken they gave us the 'natural dyes' to alleviate all the strange colored stuff over the years.
there is even a natural dye that is very very close to sigil hue.

if it was bannable i would have lost my accounts years ago, ive got chests full of the stuff and every one of my toons has a sigil spellbook in their pack.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seeing as u can get nigh on close..if not perfect to sigil from a normal bye tub ..i would say they are 100 % ok

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was also under impression these were "legalised" at some point, that's why I kept mine. Oooopsss...

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They were declared legal several years ago because they all started creeping out of the woodwork at that time. I remember because I was gifted a bunch of sigil hued spellbooks just after the announcement.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it could be equipped it could be hued sigil. And through the years there has been various other ways to "dye" items sigil through xploited dye tubs leather/runebook and metal

Thanks Deaol. From what I'm reading, it sounds like the sigil hue is essentially readily available now through other means. Two questions: (1) is there a way to tell whether an item is actually the original sigil hue and (2) is there any special value or rarity for a true sigil hued item?

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you cant get the exact color off of metal dye tubs or natural dyes, but you can get really really close.

ill try to log on here in a bit if work is slow and take a screen shot for a comparison for ya.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, i got bored at work.
here ya go.
below is 5 natural dyes (Purple, Bright Purple, Ice Purple, Dark Purple, Rare Magenta) then a Sigil Hued one for comparison.
the numbers for the dyes i beleive to be 15, 316, 1254, 511, 1163 but i dont know what the sigil hued number is.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i moved the sigil one over to the other ones for a side by side comparison, so its a little different then all of them as you can see.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes use the Pinco "hue id" tool to get the exact colour code.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For classic client users, open up a graphics program like Gimp and position your UO window alongside it. Go to select the colour in Gimp or whatever you're using and use the eyedropper tool on the UO window to find the colour you want. Click on it and you'll find you've got the HTML notation etc for that colour. There might also be a windows eyedropper tool that just tells you about the colour you click on. I have one on my linux bar so I'd expect there's a Windows equivalent.

In the pic below showing Gimp, click the box circled green on the left. That brings up the colour selection dialog in the centre. Then click on the eyedropper too circled green and you can click anywhere on the screen and get the colour info. The HTML notation etc will appear in that central dialog area. Other graphics programs should have something similar or an eyedropper tool in the menus.

Wenchy

snapshot1.png

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are a couple of items I dyed using the "sigil" option from the dye tub using Pinco UI.

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For classic client users, open up a graphics program like Gimp and position your UO window alongside it. Go to select the colour in Gimp or whatever you're using and use the eyedropper tool on the UO window to find the colour you want. Click on it and you'll find you've got the HTML notation etc for that colour. There might also be a windows eyedropper tool that just tells you about the colour you click on. I have one on my linux bar so I'd expect there's a Windows equivalent.

In the pic below showing Gimp, click the box circled green on the left. That brings up the colour selection dialog in the centre. Then click on the eyedropper too circled green and you can click anywhere on the screen and get the colour info. The HTML notation etc will appear in that central dialog area. Other graphics programs should have something similar or an eyedropper tool in the menus.

That's a good idea. When comparing two items, one just needs to remember to get the color from the same area of the same item type, in case of highlights and shadows.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rescourcefulness of UO players never ceases to amaze me...
:heart:
Are you playing again? It always reassured my stealth pk to see your maze house still there.
I have the Skara Fel housing spot, come by sometime if you are ever online.