Hello!

Welcome to the Stratics community! Ready to talk games? Register today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. State of Stratics Address

Hail Guest !

RonBron the President and Owner of Stratics is planning to engage in a State of Stratics Address next Saturday Night at 6pm EST. He wishes to gather questions from our community. To submit questions and concerns please visit this Thread

3. The time has come to say farewell to another of our beloved community members

Hail Guest!

Please take a moment to read and leave your gratitude for Airmid, as she has decided to pass the torch on to a new generation of Stratics Volunteers. http://community.stratics.com/threads/bon-voyage-friend.324118/#post-2452837

Siege Detective

Discussion in 'UO Crime' started by Taylor, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Taylor

Taylor Sexier Than you VIP Staff Alumnus Stratics Supporter

I could create a thief on Siege and join all my buddies in THIEF, but it just seems so . . . I dunno, done. How about some advice for detective templates, just for fun?

Here are a couple I'd considered:

Archer/Detective
    120 Archery
    110 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    100 Tracking
    100 Alchemy/Mage?
    99.9 Detect
    90 Heal
    0.1 Forensics

Mage/Detective
    120 Eval
    115 Mage
    115 Ninja
    100 Tracking
    100 Hide
    99.9 Detect (or alch?)
    70 Stealth
    0.1 Forensic

Here's the main problems I'm running into. First, it is funner to play a detective with hiding, stealth, and ninja, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to fit these skills with mage, eval, tracking, and detect. Second, I have never PvPed with a mage - only with an archer and dexxer. Third, can I have the overhead title "the Detective" with only .1 forensics? Fourth, aside from my thief, this will be my first toon on Siege, so I'm pretty sure I don't have the right perspective on skill allocation (e.g., pretty sure I don't need 120 archery on Siege, as few thieves are going to have 45 dci; may not need 115 eval, as few thieves will have 120 resist).

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. :thumbup1:
  2. Taylor

Maybe something like:

120 Eval
    115 Mage
    115 Ninja
    100 Tracking
    100 Hiding
    99.9 Detect
    70 Stealth
    0.1 Forensics

Whatcha think? Can I catch me some Siege thieves with it?
  3. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable

I think you'll need more forensics than that.
  4. Taylor

I remember hearing once that you can set your forensics at 0.0 and turn the skill arrow up. When you FE someone, if you get a 0.1 gain, that person is a thief. Is this inaccurate?
  5. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable

It worked like that here on siege- until 25 or so. Then, no
  6. Taylor

Yeah, I'm thinking I won't be able to stealth in animal form and kill folks at the same time. Booo. :/
  7. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable

I've been contemplating the same thing. I love my stealth player. I've played a dungeon rogue first, and then a thief, for so long it just seems natural.
    I was wondering pvp'er or pk'er. With things the way that they are, a detective is going to have to be a pk'er. Fortunately, as a rule, thieves don't have the best fighting templates. Of course, neither does a detective. Oh well- a battle of purse swinging and slapping it'll have to be I guess lol.....
  8. Taylor

It's hard for me to separate myself from stealth/wolf form. I've been stealing too long. >.<

Basically, if I don't have hiding/stealth, I'm concerned that every time I show up thieves will leave. Then again, maybe Siege thieves are a little gutsier than Atlantic thieves. Maybe I'll just drop ninja. I can stealth into an area while hidden, mount up, and wait.

120 Eval
    120 Mage
    100 Tracking
    100 Hiding
    100 Detect
    100 FE
    80 Stealth

Not sure 120 eval/120 mage can kill folks, though, especially without med or an expensive lmc/mr suit. Perhaps I should also drop stealth and add med. *face palm*
  9. Taylor

After reviewing some popular Siege thief templates, it appears that virtually all of them have tracking and detect. Thus, hiding/stealth will probably be irrelevant, as they'll know I'm there as soon as they use tracking.

Now, I'm back to the archer idea. However, I do want to be able to get around without walking everywhere. With imbuing, I could potentially get my hands on a nice SC bow, so maybe I could do this:

115 Archery
    115 Tactics
    100 Mage (heals, cures, buffs, earthquake, res, gates)
    100 Med (heals, specials)
    100 FE
    100 Detect
    100 Tracking

Better?
  10. Taylor

NM. Got it figured out. Mage/Eval/Taming/Lore/FE/Tracking/Stealth. Track, reveal, para, all kill. I predict that he'll be an annoying, but effective, thief catcher.
  11. Touzoko

Touzoko Certifiable

I would dearly love to know how this works out. It may be some time before my forensics gets up to par; I'd still like to know how others are making out. I haven't seen a single thief post against detectives; in fact, all posts are for them. They simply add to the excitement and lure. I'd like to add something to this game, in a realistic way. If I could add excitement and lure to a profession, I would indeed be happy.
  12. Taylor

I've got some buddies in THIEF/Siege. I'm in THIEF Europa. I'm hoping that I can play the role of the villain in our stories. Going to take a few months to train up, but I'm looking forward to see how it works. ^^
  13. Bruce Mcduff

Bruce Mcduff Visitor

Im almost tempted to drop my template now on SP and try this out...alot of good ideas and being a detective sounds fun, but who knows. Let us know how its playing out and keep us informed.
  14. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Babbling Loonie

GoT

I guess there was nothing to keep us informed about.
  15. Taylor

It'd be funner to play a detective on Siege if there were thieves there to detect. :/
  16. Donal Mor

Donal Mor Lore Keeper

LDH

The thieves seem to be in Magincia.

Years ago, there used to be a much reknowned detective on Siege by the name of Sgt. Schnizzel. Don't fully recall his template but GM Detect Hidden was definitely there along with some tracking. You used to be able to get away with 25.1 tracking. He would use weapons that ensnared runaways. He did it for the roleplay and the chase. The template was never great for combat PvP or PvM.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012