• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should UO be free? Poll.

Should UO be free?

• Yes

Votes: 67 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 123 64.7%

• Total voters

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did understand your point. Your opinion that f2p would kill UO is just your assumption.

You are already being nickled and dime to death. You pay a subscription and items in the UO store.

Your imaginary scenario of what UO would be like as a f2p model is just that, imaginary. Oh everybody has their own idea what it should be as a f2p model for UO but that is EA decision in the end.

Your imaginary scenario would kill the game. Hence why you made that example. Have you actually tried F2P games out there and I am not talking about facebook games, but true MMO's more like UO? They have workable systems where the free players can achieve the same as paying players with a twist. It may take them longer but they can still do it.

If F2P models didn't work then there be no discussion over it at all. In truth many of the hardcore UO player base feels that they had pay so everybody else should also.

You avoided the truth in my post concerning population. F2P communtites beats UO paid community hands down. As I stated below.....

So where is this so called 60k +population UO has? Oh I see the post where people say I saw a newb the other day or the game is getting new players more and more. Funny how I read posts like.... well it's summer and the popultaion will drop, or school is starting and players wont be around much, or it's the holidays and people are spending time with the families, I got a butt itch and have to take time off UO to buy some butt cream ( I had to add some humor to it). Sounds more like excuses or ways to make a person feel better in a false sense of reality that the game just doesn't have the numbers.

You want more players but you offer no solutions and just keep arguing the f2p debate. So if f2p is not the answer then what is it? Dont say the same thing over and over as many others have stated about EA should advertise. We already know the answer to that.

This is why the f2p debate over UO is all about. The current population would like more players playing. Not leaving. Unless you have another viable solution that would revitalize UO population the f2p debate will continue.

I will quote my last sentence because this is the only solution to keep UO going until a higher up wakes up and make some hard decisions.

I would suggest to buy more accounts and not worry about the f2p models and subscription models. That is what keeps UO alive.

Isn't it ironic though that EA cuts people jobs instead of really fixing the issue with their games? I guess sending loyal employees to the unemployment line is a better decision rather than disturbing the villagers.

Maybe if more people bought more accounts they would rehire some devs and support they cut :)

Oh just make everybody pay each month not let others work the system and pay every 87 days :)

How about raising the subscription fee because its about that time many will since the dollar isn't worth a dollar anymore :)

Add more items to the UO store that players will run and buy because of pixel addiction and then they can add storage tokens to accounts that will cost you 19.99 :)

How about just finding ways to nickel and dime the current player base so that game will last a bit longer for the hardcore players :)

OH!!! Thats right UO has an item store just like the F2P models have. lol Wonder where EA stole that idea from? P2P and B2P and P2W all in one game :) I love it! You are totally right Lady Storm. UO should not go f2p. EA knows it is doing since it's worked this long and UO is just as vibrant a community as it was years ago. What was I thinking lol.

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simply put. No.

My reasoning like others is i feel that in the long run ftp would cost me more than the 20 i spend a month currently.

i also like the convienence of having full unrestricted access to all area's of uo. Its comforting to know that my spending stay static too

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one wouldnt welcome this to UO.
I have been in EA's shadow for too long to trust them.... to not let the short term money go to their heads and pockets..
UO wouldnt see 1 thin dime.
EA would syphon it all off for a box or app game production.
Where the board feels the money is to be made.
UO is too old in their mind to toss good cash on.

Zoimus I do understand your point kiddo... but I can see the major changes that would need to be made that those of us who have paid for close to 16 years would finally get the message and quit.
We are tired of getting the shaft and the cost of some other game coming out of our pockets.
Not one penny from anything we buy at Origin goes to UO. Oh you can say it pays the Dev but that is our subscriptions. Contrary to popular beleifs UO still makes a good deal of money. But our "store" purchases pay for other enterprises EA has going.

Last edited:

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kiddo? Umadbro? Should I refer as u madbroette since you are a female of the human race? Humans are funny though. You made me smile :)

Now back on track. I said I agree with you on the f2p...see below.....

OH!!! Thats right UO has an item store just like the F2P models have. lol Wonder where EA stole that idea from? P2P and B2P and P2W all in one game :) I love it! You are totally right Lady Storm. UO should not go f2p. EA knows it is doing since it's worked this long and UO is just as vibrant a community as it was years ago. What was I thinking lol.

I EA we trust!

Just a couple of question if I may ask?

If you are tired of getting the shaft then why take the shaft for 16 years? It's a reasonable and logical question to ask from your statement. I would feel a little used and emotional hurt which I would have to take therapy for a few years to recover. Just sayin.

Do you have an insider in EA that has leaked out information that no money used at Origin for UO products does not go back into UO? No even a slight percentage? I would like to know the contact for more information on the inner workings of EA for our site since we do gaming news :)

Finally, how do you know all the subscription fees pays the devs salaries? The "claims" on Stratics that UO makes millions a year . If true the devs should be rolling into the parking lot with some sweet rides and their houses being shown on MTV :) All gamers know that server costs are nothing as some like to believe other wise. I be wanting to be pimping with these devs if they be making that kind of monies :) If not true where does the rest of the sub fee go? I can answer that....the higher ups paying 10ok for diamond crusted toilets and stuff like that :p

I can't wait till summer. Rave season begins :) Until then this topic the hot thing atm lol

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The current state UO is in...the subscription fee is a bit overpriced.

UO kinda feels like a plane that's taking a dive on auto-pilot.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Entirely free? Of course not.
Using Free to Play business model? Yes please. - It is literally only thing I can imagine bringing relevant amount of people back to UO though. I don't believe it will ever happen; too many things underneath UO would require drastic a makeover for this. I am sure it would be a great, somewhat rejunevating thing to the game and community though.

Last edited: