• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should UO be free? Poll.

Should UO be free?

• Yes

Votes: 67 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 123 64.7%

• Total voters

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No.

Ive been saying it for years now. Put a $%@&ing box back on the store shelves EA. Thats where your player base comes from. Hell, it took me an hour to try and update my billing status because of all this account/master account buhlcake.. what do you think a new player to this game would be going through?

Never free to play, but with lacking content lately, lower monthly price for sure.
It costs too much to put a box on the shelves... the ROI on putting a box on shelves at this point just wouldn't be there. Now, if they do a relaunch with new graphics and bug fixes and cool stuff, yeah, it would be worthwhile, but right now... not so much.

W

Woodsman

Attracting old players back would bring far more players.
True, but putting aside those that left for other games that catered more to their tastes or because UO went in directions they didn't want (Trammel, AOS, etc.), you still need to fix the bigger issues like graphics.

Look at all of the people who have quit over the years who posted "I'm quitting" threads on Stratics. It was all about boredom, unhappiness with certain decisions, other games. Look at the comments on non-UO game websites, it's not "I can't afford UO" but "UO graphics :eek:" or "UO died when Trammel was born" or "UO is still around?". Look at some of the recent people who have quit or went into maintenance mode - the Stratics mod, Black Sun, didn't quit because of the cost. Pinco didn't put his accounts into maintenance mode because of cost.
Well, as some of you may know some time ago I quit playing. As of last month I closed my last account. My interest in UO seems to have dried up again and I'm finding my interests pulled in different directions. Although I had planned on sticking around here and remaining on staff, I have decided to retire my staff badge. I'm finding myself logging in less and less each day and Petra and Magdalene have done such a fine job assembling a great set of moderators that problems are usually taken care of before I even hear about them.
I still hope in some improvements for the 15th anniversary, and until then I'm in maintenance mode (renew every 2 months to keep the house safe), then we'll see if UO can permanently find its place in the graveyard or not :p
EA could spend a bunch of money to convert UO, quite a bit of money, and maybe it brings in more money, but there is absolutely no guarantee that any extra revenue would go back into UO to fix what needs to be fixed. This is EA we are talking about. This is the company that lays off UO devs even when UO is profitable.

If you don't fix the things that need to be fixed, it doesn't matter how we pay for UO, it will be in trouble. The biggest f2p "successes", and I use the term loosely since they refuse to break out profits/numbers were all in the process of fixing the things that needed to be fixed, regardless of the payment models.

If EA wants to ever make UO f2p, they have to majorly fix and improve things like the EC and get the high resolution graphics in place, and make it a lot easier to add content. If you have followed what Grimm and others have said, it's time consuming to get new content into the game. One of the selling points many f2p games claim is a steady stream of content updates. UO would have to go to 3D and ditch the CC to speed up their content updates, and that's not going to happen, at least not the CC removal.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...This would also tell EA what facets to use their money on
Not really. It would actually artificially distort the value of certain areas, and make no difference to others.

Consider that the value of Malas would be equal that of Trammel and Felucca. And yet, content-wise, it's got Doom. And Luna. Hardly equivalent content.

On the other hand, there'd still be no differentiation between Trammel and Felucca, so the producers wouldn't get any new information about that dynamic either.

Not that I'm against a light-subscription that would provide limited-plus access with a few facets and a small house (I'd say 10x10 rather than 7x7... let's give them some space to enjoy...), just wanted to chime in on any useful information that could be garnered from it.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
My idea is plenty constructive. Provide me a reason that I should pay nearly $15 / month to play this game? There is no activity on virtually 85% of the shards. There is no new content. The existing land expansions have been useless for nearly a decade. PvP is so broken and easy it's not even fun anymore. There is no mob mentality AI. There isn't one champion or boss in the game that is difficult. There is no in-game support. There is no interaction with the players. The community has been crippled to a ghost state. MyUO has been down for over a year. The present day developers will not listen to any veteran input on what made the game fun in the past. It has been declining since the departures of SunSword and Toad.

I've put nearly half as many years into UO as I've been alive.

What are you paying for? Not flaming I just want constructive input please.
I actually totally disagree with this entire statement.

Now I have to read the rest of the posts..... Leave for a week and look what happens. Community is what this is all about.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Nope.
1. because Driven Insane is right - f2p actually costs the player more
2. I have enjoyed every expansion we've had - perhaps not every tiny bit of it, but always a good portion of it.
3. We just got (I believe) the best darn producer we could have - someone who thorougly knows the game, can be found in it regularly and has frequently gone out of her way to help players with problems. I just hope she doesn't go and make herself ill trying to do to much! We need her.
4. One reason for the lower player base is just the sheer number of other games that are out there now compared to when UO started.
5. If you believe there are better games, go play them. Leave my UO alone, I like it just fine the way it is.
Ok this is all true and correct and saved me a ton of time.

Thanks again Petra Fyde for yet another clear explanation of reality and the true situation. Looks like there is no further need for this thread in my opinion.

Next :) *The old Sage wanders back into the forest to contemplate the 8 Virtues*

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea Nabin!

There was no need for this thread in the first place. The OP needs go play whatever game he claims to enjoy so much more than UO and take his idiotic ideas with him.

Either that or stop being a cheap ass and quit complaining about a lousy $13 a month. Good grief, I can't believe anyone can complain this much over $13 freaking dollars. Kids these days :lame:
Not a kid. I'm not out to offend anybody so why everybody is making it personal is beyond me. I could dish out for 10 accounts if need be, fact, but the return on investment simply doesn't exist. I'd rather feed my family well. The game is not lucrative enough for me to play it for such a high price. I have already achieved everything there is to achieve in UO. I'd entertain playing a few hours a week if the game were free. Perhaps you should cut the garbage out of your post and keep it constructive. The poll is doing its job.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea Nabin!

There was no need for this thread in the first place. The OP needs go play whatever game he claims to enjoy so much more than UO and take his idiotic ideas with him.

Either that or stop being a cheap ass and quit complaining about a lousy $13 a month. Good grief, I can't believe anyone can complain this much over $13 freaking dollars. Kids these days :lame:
Not everyone is a spoiled kid with unlimited money, in this times 13$/month is a pretty serious amount for a game like this... The game as it is could worth 5$/month top.

Basically going f2p will reduce the expectations about the game, since EA have no resources to improve it, they can always make money with a real money auction house like diablo for example :p

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's keep the personal out please folks.

Penana Car - most of us disagree quite emphatically with your negative view of the game - also I have to wonder about your claim that it is not 'lucrative enough' with no 'return on investment'. It's a game, it's not meant to be lucrative, nor an investment.
While numbers are undoubtedly down, my feeling is if we were all restricted to the original two facets instead of spread all over you would find it fairly crowded and hard to find a free hunting spot.

Emil Ispep - The last box we bought was Samurai Empire. We struggled to find enough copies for our 3 accounts. Not because EA hadn't put them in the stores, but because the UK stores refused to stock them! There is more profit for them in games they can sell, buy back at a pittance and then resell as used.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra Fyde had it right - take UO's trial account, remove the time limit, slap the "free to play" label on it, and let the gullible people flock in, only to discover that if they want to truly play UO, they are going to have to subscribe.
Which is the point of f2p.

W

Woodsman

The game as it is could worth 5$/month top.
The game is not lucrative enough for me to play it for such a high price. I have already achieved everything there is to achieve in UO. I'd entertain playing a few hours a week if the game were free.
Under an F2P scenario, EA is not going to make houses a $5 a month addon, because for every $5 house, that means there is a good chance a $10 - $13 a month account will be canceled. EA is not going to risk losing that, because a major point of F2P is to have some major hooks, restrictions, or annoyances to make you upgrade to a subscription, and housing would be #1 on the list.

So my question to both of you: Would either of you play for free or $5 a month if you don't have a house?

Roland Of Gilead

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted no simply because our sub fees pay for all the new stuff and dungeons/monsters.items/event/s story arcs updates of all kinds an all that.Without money to pay for people to do that none of it would be possible i dont mind paying for it.However i do see the draw of f2p versions of these kinds of games and could see it working great if done somethin like the trial version of the game where u are limited to no owning a house or maybe certain dungeons and bosses u cant access unless u upgrade to full version.New people might come try and like it if it stayed free for em and eventually like it enough to want a house an and all that and upgrade to full.Just gotta give em enough draw em into the game ofc and not owning a house makes u make a friend so u got somewhere to live.Like the old days :)

W

Woodsman

To expand on what Petra Fyde said earlier about lifting the time limit on the trial accounts, here is the UO trial account restrictions:
  • Players are not allowed to place a house while on a trial account
  • Players are not allowed to co-own or be traded a house while on a trial account
  • Trial accounts have travel restrictions –
  • Cannot visit Felucca dungeons or Felucca T2A
  • Trial Accounts have the following resource restrictions -
  • Will only receive basic ores and logs (iron, plain logs) even if they'd otherwise qualify for better types
  • Will not receive sand or stone when mining
  • Trial Account Misc. restrictions -
  • Will not receive ML rewards for resource gathering (jewels, ingredients, and white pearls while fishing)
  • Will not receive rewards, monster kill points, or virtue points from champ spawns
  • Will not get scrolls while doing champ spawns
  • Will not gain Justice virtue points for killing murderers
  • Cannot use Valor or Justice virtues
  • Cannot Protect or be Protected by another player
  • Can not join factions or faction aligned guilds
  • If in a guild they will be removed from the guild, if their guild joins a faction
  • Cannot use Scrolls of Alacrity, Power Scrolls, Stat Scrolls, or Scrolls of Transcendence
  • Cannot use Commodity Deeds
  • Cannot do Community Collections
  • Cannot use Soulstones or fragment soulstones
  • Cannot use Pet summoning balls
  • Cannot use Bracelets of Binding
  • Cannot use the Bag of Sending
  • Cannot do any repeatable quests – even if they are normally repeatable
  • Cannot acquire BOD’s
  • Cannot have vendors
If that sounds like an F2P system, it's because most F2P games are really just running trial accounts as the "Free" accounts, they've just lifted the time limits. There are gullible people out there who don't realize that F2P accounts are "trial" accounts in other games, and the game companies take advantage of these people.

But let's look beyond UO's trial account, let's look at an actual EA F2P MMORPG. It's called Warhammer Online, and surprise! It's under BioWare Mythic, just like UO. They call it Forever Free until you read the fine print at which point they stop pretending it's anything but a stripped down trial account
"Forever Free" means that your trial account does not expire. You have no time limitation and may play within the restrictions of the Endless Trial as long as you like for free.
If you want a better look at what a "Free" UO would look like, you need only look at UO's sister MMORPG Warhammer Online:
  • Free Trial accounts are restricted to Tier 1 of the Empire versus Chaos pairing. This includes Tier 1 scenarios but does not include access to the Capital Cities or the other racial pairings within the game.
  • Free Trial users are unable to send mail to other players, use the Auction House and Bank, or trade face-to-face with any player; however, they can receive mail.
  • Free Trial accounts are limited to designated servers. If you'd like to play with friends on other servers, you will need to purchase a retail copy of the game and transfer your character to their server (or create a new character on their server).
For UO, that would probably look like:
  • Free UO Trial users are restricted to Trammel and may only access Dungeon Shame.
  • Free UO Trial users are restricted to level 30 in any skill
  • Free UO Trial users are unable to use the bank, unable to own houses, unable to gather or use resources above iron or plain logs.
  • Free UO Trial accounts are limited to designated servers with the above restrictions. If you'd like to play with friends on other servers, or have the above restrictions lifted, you will need to purchase a copy of UO and transfer your character to their server, or create a new character on a regular server.
World of Warcraft plays the same game that Warhammer Online does, only they call their "free" account a "Starter Edition". They limit it to level 20, which anybody can hit within a week or two if they halfway try.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:bowdown: Petra you took the words out of my mind!

In the last few months I have personaly helped many returning players who havent played the game in YEARS - like 3 to 8 years.

Their comments of other games and why the return to UO is something of a summerazation of how all feel of UO in general.

The latest player I was happy to help told me they had played alot of games on line and off in boxes... but none gave them the gameplay UO does.

UO is unique. yes we are old and frumpy...i know a good deal of you would like nothing better then to go 3d for all but it wouldnt then be UO.

We have our problems, we are low population, but this is not WoW, DoaC, Warhammer, SWOR... we are 15 years old for the online crowd but think of the box games that led to this game...... We are really much older. Ultima series of box games evolved to UO .... would I change them? no

it's like adding a beard and mustash to the mona lisa.... you just dont do it

I know we dont have the fluid movement of the others in 3d.... that we have gliches up the kazoo, and that pvp/factions are not all they are cracked up to be but tell me this...

If UO died tomorrow where would you go? I personally would quit gamming. I'd go back to one of my hobbies and wish uo was there to take up some of my time again.

I cant say the game is for all personalitys. I have aplauded a few who have quit UO... hard to beleave I would but I saw the wisdom of it. Real life needed them and the pull of UO was taking a toll on that.

F2P not in a million years

Oh Woodman good job there kiddo you hit hte nail on the head! oh as for the Wow bit you can hit lvl 20 in under 2 days now.... its way too easy

:bowdown:

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My idea is plenty constructive. Provide me a reason that I should pay nearly $15 / month to play this game? There is no activity on virtually 85% of the shards. There is no new content. The existing land expansions have been useless for nearly a decade. PvP is so broken and easy it's not even fun anymore. There is no mob mentality AI. There isn't one champion or boss in the game that is difficult. There is no in-game support. There is no interaction with the players. The community has been crippled to a ghost state. MyUO has been down for over a year. The present day developers will not listen to any veteran input on what made the game fun in the past. It has been declining since the departures of SunSword and Toad.

I've put nearly half as many years into UO as I've been alive.

What are you paying for? Not flaming I just want constructive input please.
You should pay 15 dollars a month because that is what EA charges. I'm not going to make comparisons to other things in life we use and have to pay for, it's common sense.

If you're not happy with the quality of Ultima Online, then, by all means, leave. Find another game to occupy your time. Judging by your remarks you are not happy with the game, but, realistically, Electronic Arts will not make a game free because a small % is unhappy.

I have put in 10 years of my life into UO. Not once has it been canceled, suspended or inactive.....days I haven't logged on can be counted on two hands. I take it for what it's worth.

One day I may resign from the silliness of an online computer game......until then, make mine UO!

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I rethought my original answer...

FTP would be ok...if u want to be FTP all you have to do I'd sign up on website you get a free account at age zero 1 character slot (you may purchase more via UO store) no Stygian abyss available, but you can by special passes from UO store say passes...a 1 week pass $3.99... a one month pass for $12.99 where u can have all SA content..these items maybe be bought and sold in game for people who do not wish to spend RL money.. in which case you still could not do certain things to make a perk of paying monthly still viable to rewarding in itself..it could work for EA and new player benefits..I personally would still pay monthly but I would def make a free account just to have maybe a miner lumberjack..some other skills I don't have room for in current account ..and you never kno after people play for a few months they may say hell I like this game I'll subscribe..+1 more bodies in fel >:/ teehee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
6 month subscription bring it to just a little over $10 a month. I mean just about any other form of entertainment out there cost close to if not over $10 a pop. I can spend hours play UO and be entertained instead of spending money else where.

I refuse to believe that $10 is that hard to come up with. Even back in the poor college student days for me, it could be easily scrounged up by not going out to a movie or instead of eating out, cook and eat at home for a couple of days.

I have tried out plenty of free to play games and to be honest it end up costing more money and I end up quitting which means I wasted my money. UO however is a different story, 15 years and still going.

If you ask me, playing UO actually SAVE me money.

W

Woodsman

You've never played Dungeons and Dragons Online or quite a few other games, have you?

If you buy all of the content separately, it is much more expensive than a subscription. They deliberately try to nickel and dime you into finally subscribing.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why was the 14-day trial added in the first place? Wasn't it to follow what others in the genre were doing at the time? Well now several big games in the MMO genre have F2P content including WoW, RIFT, and now even long-time UO competitor EverQuest. Extending UO's 14-day trial to an endless one would be a good move.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've never played Dungeons and Dragons Online or quite a few other games, have you?

If you buy all of the content separately, it is much more expensive than a subscription. They deliberately try to nickel and dime you into finally subscribing.
depends on how it's implemented there are PLENTY of examples of games doing F2P where the cost per user is less (they make it up in volume by keeping a larger playerbase), besides, UO you already do have to buy most of the content seperately from the sub (in the form of expansions, boosters, slot upgrades, storage upgrades,etc)

W

Woodsman

depends on how it's implemented there are PLENTY of examples of games doing F2P where the cost per user is less (they make it up in volume by keeping a larger playerbase), besides, UO you already do have to buy most of the content seperately from the sub (in the form of expansions, boosters, slot upgrades, storage upgrades,etc)
Vlaude I actually think it would be good to lift the time limit on the trial, assuming they would go back to banning scripters.

UO has the trial, it has a cash shop, if you lift the time limit you can call it an f2p game without doing much else. If people want houses or want to mine anything but iron or chop anything but plain wood, they can pay $10 a month like the rest of us.

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh Woodman good job there kiddo you hit hte nail on the head! oh as for the Wow bit you can hit lvl 20 in under 2 days now.... its way too easy
You should be hitting level 20 in WoW in under 5 hours. You can 6x120 a character in UO in about 4 days if you have the scrolls. And you're gauging a game's difficulty on character creation? I don't see what you're trying to say, honestly, sorry. You're picking a really bad game to draw comparisons to. EA or Blizzard hmmm who will win? Hardmode dragon soul or Barracoon?

I still can't wrap my head around paying a subscription for old, exhausted content. If they released a totally new game with the Ultima title, fine, but this is 1997 material being re-used year after year after year. Not only that, but they have gradually eliminated or changed all of the crucial elements that brought the community alive and made the game great. The population has depleted because people aren't attracted by expensive land mass expansions, and bad ideas like upgrading fishing.

I know there are people defending EA religiously but you have to see the big picture of what you're paying for.

Just my opinion of course.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should be hitting level 20 in WoW in under 5 hours. You can 6x120 a character in UO in about 4 days if you have the scrolls. And you're gauging a game's difficulty on character creation? I don't see what you're trying to say, honestly, sorry. You're picking a really bad game to draw comparisons to. EA or Blizzard hmmm who will win? Hardmode dragon soul or Barracoon?

I still can't wrap my head around paying a subscription for old, exhausted content. If they released a totally new game with the Ultima title, fine, but this is 1997 material being re-used year after year after year. Not only that, but they have gradually eliminated or changed all of the crucial elements that brought the community alive and made the game great. The population has depleted because people aren't attracted by expensive land mass expansions, and bad ideas like upgrading fishing.

I know there are people defending EA religiously but you have to see the big picture of what you're paying for.

I hate EA too.

And Bethesda to a lesser extent.

Im still playing because the game is good. It used to be great 14 years ago.

Then EA came into the picture...

On a side note.. imagine if UO became a appstore download.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I do admit that UO suffered from a string of bad producers but I am hopeful that they are finally getting back on track. Every expansion brought in more play style options, it is not just rehashed contents from 1997. The fishing update is not a bad idea, it was just poorly implemented. Fishing update can be fixed and improved, the important part is that we now have that added play space.

The big picture is that UO still offers more options in terms of game play than any other online games out there and that is the only reason it is still around after 15 years. Sure we suffered player population lost due to bad decisions due to clueless producers that does not even play the game in the past but I think EA finally got the message and have backed it up with their recent actions. The transition is clear, sure there might be a hiccup here and there but as long as they stay on course they can finally start to make this game great.

Players are coming back because of their recent effort and population increase is definitely noticeable in game even during the summer season.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't know where you been but EA has always been in the picture. EA has owned UO from day one, sorry.
owned but not controlled development, OSI worked as a seperate entity outside of EA's direct control for the first few years UO was out. (Westwood and most of EA's other studios used to work like this as well)

W

Woodsman

owned but not controlled development, OSI worked as a seperate entity outside of EA's direct control for the first few years UO was out. (Westwood and most of EA's other studios used to work like this as well)
EA still controlled the deadlines and the money. Just ask the Ultima VIII and Ultima IX teams. Garriott still had to go to the EA CEO for the UO seed money.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA still controlled the deadlines and the money. Just ask the Ultima VIII and Ultima IX teams. Garriott still had to go to the EA CEO for the UO seed money.
Ah yes... yet another one you can thank the NBA's for.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A lot of people are waking up and realizing that the subscription-based model has a limited future in the MMO markets. Huge releases like Guild Wars 2 are going without a subscription model and will likely be hugely successful in doing so. That's not to say that it is "free" though. You still have to buy the game, as well as any expansions/boosters along the way if you want to keep up. That's where the money is reclaimed from, as well as micro-transactions which are fine imo as long as what they're selling doesn't actually have an effect on the balance of gameplay.

This is a smarter model in my view as the lure of no monthly fees does draw in a lot of people, many of whom become regular players and eventually pay monetarily to boost their characters or expand the game thus contributing further to its upkeep and development. To brand new players in today's gaming market, UO wouldn't even get a look in with its primitive graphics and very high monthly cost compared with other, more visually appealing games. Having things marketed as "free" may just be enough to get it on more of this generation's radar. Worked for Runescape, but its accessibility being a browser-based game also had something to do with that I'd wager.

W

Woodsman

The big picture is that UO still offers more options in terms of game play than any other online games out there and that is the only reason it is still around after 15 years.
The big picture is that the people who ultimately decide UO's fate don't care about how deep it is, just that it's profitable.

UO has problems that money and resources could fix, but they don't get the money or resources, and we just complain on Stratics, the devs do the best they can with the resources they have, and that's about it. Its not like Mass Effect, where it had a bad ending, the media goes crazy, EA spends a ton of money on a new ending.

The aggravating thing is that UO could be doing a lot better and everybody knows it, which would make us happier and make EA happier, but the first step is getting EA to invest the resources that are needed. That's not likely to happen since EA has financial issues, and since EA has decided to instead invest in another Ultima property.
Sure we suffered player population lost due to bad decisions due to clueless producers that does not even play the game in the past but I think EA finally got the message and have backed it up with their recent actions.
I disagree that the population problems are the fault of the producers - it was EA that has laid off large numbers of UO devs when UO was profitable, it was EA that forced UO to move from Texas to California and then California to Virginia, and it was EA that let the Ultima name pretty much die after IX. The only producers I think anybody really hates were during Trammel and AOS. I know it's popular for some to hate on Cal, but he produced Stygian Abyss and then had to watch the UO team be gutted thanks to Warhammer crashing and burning, along with some other EA problems, even though UO was profitable. Cal was trying to provide an actual plan for UO to bring in new players last year, but most of that was dismantled and tossed to the side. Those videos last year made it clear that Cal's hands were tied by somebody up top as well. Remember the video where a question was asked and Cal, Mesanna, and one of the engineers had to turn off the camera, talk about whether they could answer the question, and then come back?

As much as I don't like a lot of things that EA has done, UO's biggest problems are probably not even really EA's fault. UO's biggest problem from the start was one of its biggest advantages - it was the first mainstream MMORPG. A lot of people played UO in the first few years because UO was the only MMORPG they could walk into a Babbages or Electronics Boutique or CompUSA and buy. We forget that a lot of people played UO not because they had a deep love of Ultima but because EverQuest, Star Wars Galaxies, Warcraft, etc. were not yet available.

Plus UO is part of a small genre within MMORPGs - the so-called sandbox MMORPGs. Star Wars Galaxies was a part of that, at least early on, EVE Online is, Darkfall is, Archaeage is (if you're Korean). Like it or not, but the majority of gamers migrated to MMORPGs that hold their hands and/or heavily restrict PvP.

One major area that EA has an effect is that UO is being held back by its graphics. It's really a topic for another thread, but UO has not progressed technically like it should have - too many starts and stops and divided resources. F2P will not fix that either, because it's a problem that should be considered before F2P is ever even discussed.

People in this thread and elsewhere say UO should follow EverQuest or Lord of the Rings or Dungeons and Dragons and do F2P, but I think UO should be looking at EVE Online, not only because EVE Online was founded by people who loved UO's early PvP days, but because EVE Online by all accounts should not have survived this long - open-world full-loot sandbox PVP, and yet EVE Online is doing better now than it was 5 years ago and even 9 years ago when it launched. They've done the necessary technical/graphical upgrades to keep it looking fresh and attractive and they've reached out to players. While it will never hit WOW numbers, 400,000+ active players and growing is something that EA and Sony would be happy with.

darkvulf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

KEY WORD- "IF", i've played LoL, you don't have to buy anything.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No.

Ive been saying it for years now. Put a $%@&ing box back on the store shelves EA. Thats where your player base comes from. Hell, it took me an hour to try and update my billing status because of all this account/master account buhlcake.. what do you think a new player to this game would be going through?

Never free to play, but with lacking content lately, lower monthly price for sure.
And how would this accomplish anything other than wasting money? MMO's are played without disks and thanks to technology, we can now download game clients which is the only thing you need a disk for and thanks to programs like steam and origin, Gamestop and other stores have been slowly diminishing their computer games because people will just buy them online, the only thing we ever needed a the box for way back when was to install an expansion or install the game, or get an account code (the actual thing that costs money..) which can all be done online..

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the problem I see with a "free" model for UO: In order to adopt the F2P model successfully, they'd have to charge for something. EA's not going to run UO as a charity. If I were in the position of deciding how to charge for UO, and it went F2P, yeah, I'd expand the in-game item store quite a bit with cutesy little knick-knacks, but those wouldn't be enough to keep the game going, I suspect.

The other issue is that with player housing actually occupying in-game space, the only way to prevent people from opening up 1,000s of accounts to occupy all of the space in the game would, in fact, to be to make obtaining and keeping a house the one thing you would have to charge for in the F2P market. Thus, truthfully, you wouldn't see much of a change, because housing is one of the primary reasons to play UO.

Now, with that caveat -- that housing would remain a monthly fee -- then sure, make UO F2P... and then allow people who pay for one house to pay for a second house on the same shard for another $2-$5 per month based on the size of the house looking to be placed. That model, being "free," would probably see subscription dollars go up, because I know I'd pay another $2-$5 for a range of 7x7 to 14x14 of additional housing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You might see some condensation of subscription dollars in that people might cancel one account to condense housing -- which is why you would never allow an 18x18 or 'max storage' house to be placed as the second house.
I have said this exact same thing before (about housing under a FTP model) and to be honest, is any new player going to come and pay $12.99 a month for 15 year old out-dated game? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT, returning players, sure, they come and go.. I come and go and leave when I feel I have to, but the low population, I just can't bare it anymore, I honestly do not see myself returning unless there was a shift in UO's population, in other words, it isn't worth the $12.99 a month.. They need to lower the subscription price if anything to 5 or 8 bucks a month and then I would consider keeping my accounts active and in this horrible real life economy, I really had no choice but to cancel my subs..

W

Woodsman

KEY WORD- "IF", i've played LoL, you don't have to buy anything.
As pissed as I get at EA, they aren't stupid when it comes to collecting money (although they can be about their account management :gee:). If there was an f2p UO, housing would be a part of the sub, along with banks. EA has an F2P MMORPG in the same group and maybe even the same building as UO, so they have experience with F2P MMORPG. To their credit, they try not to pretend that f2p is anything but a glorified trial.

EA could instantly have an f2p UO, they just need to take the timer off the trials and figure out how to deal with the scripters. It's what they did with Warhammer.

I'm not saying this about you, but some people think that an f2p UO would allow them to come in and just play UO like normal. It doesn't work that way. You wouldn't have access to banks or houses and who knows what else. This is EA, they are going to get their money.

W

Woodsman

Iand to be honest, is any new player going to come and pay $12.99 a month for 15 year old out-dated game? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT,
And that's a big problem. An f2p UO is still out-dated on the technical/graphics side. I just don't see it attracting new players in the state its in, regardless of how they collect the money.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoa cheap shot artist. I've played and dominated UO in virtually every era quite frankly. With subscription cost so high I have no desire to pay a subscription. Furthermore with a veteran account in my possession I have every right to comment. If the product quality was better, like any satisfied customer I would continue to pay the price. Lately I've been playing a different FTP game with better content and more entertainment value. I have moved on. UO has growth potential if the cost were less and it has a better chance of surviving with more growth. Additionally, without a better quality of product none of the veteran players are going to come back to what they left.

I agree if the game were not to go free, $5 sounds like a more reasonable monthly cost.
No offense bud but I think you are kidding yourself and wasting our time.

You obviously still care deeply enough about the game to post/debate here so just drop your petty issues and start playing the best game ever again. Dont get so emotional and involved. Just play the freaking game and have fun. Many years ago I noticed my home shard was declining so I moved to Atlantic and have been having a blast there for a long time now. I feel bad for people on dead shards but I cant really be bothered with them so I play my game daily and love it.
Adapt is a word thrown around alot but it really is the key to everything.

Peace

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense bud but I think you are kidding yourself and wasting our time.

You obviously still care deeply enough about the game to post/debate here so just drop your petty issues and start playing the best game ever again. Dont get so emotional and involved. Just play the freaking game and have fun. Many years ago I noticed my home shard was declining so I moved to Atlantic and have been having a blast there for a long time now. I feel bad for people on dead shards but I cant really be bothered with them so I play my game daily and love it.
Adapt is a word thrown around alot but it really is the key to everything.

Peace
Adapting in UO has never been an issue to me, sorry. The truth is I've always been a mile ahead of virtually everybody in terms of adapting. I'm not emotional, by putting my emotions in check you're getting personal not me, I'm stating facts and opinions and creating a valid thread. Keep on topic.

The game is not lucrative enough for me to pay to play. Spiritless was right on - there are better MMOs in present day. UO does not keep up with the service standards it used to keep, thus it should be worth less for all of the people that did adapt and stayed loyal through the years of BS, and to those such as myself that could be willed to re-subscribe. UO used to be a game I could not get away from. Now it is a game I am too bored to touch. I hope the devs are reading.

Most shards, quite literally, are dead. The product is declining so should too the subscription price. I feel my opinion is valid and I am not saying it is any more valid than yours. The population has declined for one reason only: better products exist for the same price. That is it.

And I already play some of them. What will EA do to win players like myself back?

W

Woodsman

And I already play some of them. What will EA do to win players like myself back?
Are you interested in the high resolution graphics update?

As in graphics that actually look like they belong in 2012 as opposed to 2002 or 1997?

Unfortunately the high resolution update is probably a long ways out, since it sounds like it might be after the bug fix publish at the start of next year.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the very least I think the subs are too high for UO. Sub price is the sole reason I barely play UO these days, I can buy either a pack of 5+ good indie games for less or play two other MMOs for that much... And those have a week long sub as well as the monthly ones. Which suits me better when I'm not always able to find gaming time for more than a few days of the month. I can even pay a sub with game gold lol. If UO adopted similar payment terms to Dofus/Wakfu I'd be back in a flash :D Not likely to happen though... too many players want the higher sub to continue, so as long as it's profitable I doubt anything will change.

I don't believe a F2P model is a bad idea *if it is done well* Sadly though, precious few companies do it well ;) Mostly the F2P is in fact a misleading advert for a demo and IMHO is far worse than a lower priced subscription would be. But I've never had a bad experience with F2P players (UOers ain't exactly angels considering what they pay lol) and if there is a requirement to buy items to compete then I don't play that F2P, or I accept that I'm less uber than someone else. I'm not a power fanatic so it seldom bothers me. But the one advantage you do have, even if you choose to buy said items is you can choose if/when you do so. If you want to save money for a few months and then treat yourself, you can. With UO, you need to keep that account going to play it even if like me you just want to potter around and relax.

Wenchy

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting, Today EA announce SWTOR is going f2p this fall. I wonder if they have any plans for UO going f2p.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting, Today EA announce SWTOR is going f2p this fall. I wonder if they have any plans for UO going f2p.
I hope this works out for the better for them and the people who play the game. A lot of people saw this coming though.

And yes, I think UO would benefit from a f2p model if done properly.

Last edited:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
instead of FTP, I propose a progressive charging model... the older your account is, the cheaper you need to pay.... say a discount of $1 for each year, meaning 12.99 for all new accounts, after you've subscribed for a year, you only need to pay 11.99... so by the end of 13 years... you are basically free to play... OR.. cap at 0.99 after year 13... anyway it make veteran players stay... and got incentive for ppl to keep subscribing.... how about that
This post belongs in a topic titled "How to kill UO." Do you even realize how drastic the drop in revenue would be if it worked this way?

And I've just skimmed this topic mainly... To those who said they would quit if UO went F2P.... Uh, why, exactly? The "it'll cost more!" excuse is plain wrong because LotRO is free to play, and I've paid the same as always (actually less; but it's unrelated) since that's started. You get new players, potentially. The game feels less like a dead wasteland. Potentially more revenue will mean more content or more bug fixes or more work on the clients.

On that note, I think just new content would drum up at least short term interest from former players... Stygian Abyss did. There was actually life in the game around the time that launched. And then they switched to doing "boosters" so we could get content every six months. Fast forward to two years later and we still only had the one booster. Huh?

W

Woodsman

Potentially more revenue will mean more content or more bug fixes or more work on the clients.
UO has lost at least 9 members of the UO team over the past year, and only 4 were replaced that we know of, even though UO was profitable.

UO makes enough money for them to add team members and add more content right $#%%$#@ now and instead they've laid people off.

Meanwhile, EA found millions to sink into Ultima Forever.

If EA can find millions to create a new Ultima game, they could find half a million to have kept from getting rid of all of those devs. They could find a half a million or a million to really do a great job on both clients.

Instead EA would rather spend money on a completely different Ultima.
On that note, I think just new content would drum up at least short term interest from former players... Stygian Abyss did. There was actually life in the game around the time that launched. And then they switched to doing "boosters" so we could get content every six months. Fast forward to two years later and we still only had the one booster. Huh?
Boosters/Expansions/Theme Packs were canceled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well then they could make it free to play simply to make more money.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO has lost at least 9 members of the UO team over the past year, and only 4 were replaced that we know of, even though UO was profitable.

UO makes enough money for them to add team members and add more content right $#%%$#@ now and instead they've laid people off.

Meanwhile, EA found millions to sink into Ultima Forever.

If EA can find millions to create a new Ultima game, they could find half a million to have kept from getting rid of all of those devs. They could find a half a million or a million to really do a great job on both clients.

Instead EA would rather spend money on a completely different Ultima. Boosters/Expansions/Theme Packs were canceled.
They don't invest because none of the investments they have made in the game in the last.... 10(?) years have done anything to promote growth for any real length of time. It makes perfect sense to relaunch the franchise with a new game.

On the other hand a free option, which if done correctly should have ZERO effect on current subscribers other than to see more people around. It all seems to keep coming back to "f2p costs more!" but I don't understand why people think that ALL f2p games MUST be this way. Many of them are not. The game you mentioned before DDO has a full subscription option similar in price to UO, where you get all content PLUS monthly points to spend on vanity items in the shop.

Honestly I see no way it would HURT uo. Very very few people who pay now would close their accounts and get a free one simply not to lose houses if nothing else, and it WOULD bring in a lot of new players.

People seem to be answering the question "do you want a garbage, predatory f2p version of UO?". Clearly... no one wants that.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And that's a big problem. An f2p UO is still out-dated on the technical/graphics side. I just don't see it attracting new players in the state its in, regardless of how they collect the money.

THIS game (fallen sword)... f2p... has more players than UO. One of probably dozens of really low tech games that have a TON of players. Why? Its f2p. That is the only reason.

UO is a far better game than any of these crap games you can find. F2p would bring in a lot of players.

I rest my case.