• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should Stratics have a forum specifically for Catskills Roleplaying topics?

Should Stratics have a forum specifically for Catskills Roleplaying topics?

• I don't care, but if one is created it should be for IC posts only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify in a reply)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Note: this is just to judge interest. This is not a promise that we actually can get a new forum for Catskills RP - I haven't discussed this with those who have the power to make new forums yet.
If a new forum is created, and we decide it should have certain rules about IC/OOC posts, that doesn't mean we can't change those rules in the future. It also doesn't mean that any rules about IC/OOC posts will be enforced by mods - it may simply end up as a recommendation for posters, not a rule.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Voted yes IC and OOC. Because I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and sometimes I just need it all spelled out for me.....

C

CatLord

I voted other.

A RP Hub needs to be able to be edited by all the people that wish to help out... no matter their ranking in their guilds.

It also needs to be secure and solic across the years... and stratics, no offense, lost huge chunks of the shard history.

Imagine if stratics was the deposit of the shards lore, events and rp stories... hundreds of posts lost, a hole in our "history"...

Only one place has proven its resilience... Hawkeye Pike's site.

My apologies if this is blunt... I mean no disrespect.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted no.

They did this on the Lord of the Rings forums and the result was a community deeply devided. A community is strongest when it is whole.

B

Beleg Megil

I picked "No, keep RP posts in the main Catskills forum - I read them, and don't want another place to look. " but really the reason isn't that I'm just too lazy to look for RP posts in another section. I want them here because I'd like non-role players to check out our stories and event threads and hopefully decide to get involved. If we were tucked away into a seperate corner, there would be less chance to draw in new blood. And even if people with different play styles don't get involved, maybe they'll read a story here once in a while and be entertained. Catskills has some pretty talented writers.

V

Victoria Navarre

I voted "I don't care, but if one is created it should be for all RP topics, IC and OOC"

My feeling is that if an RP forum is created here for the catskills shard,it should be moderated by a disinterested player from outside of the catskills shard.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted "I don't care, but if one is created it should be for all RP topics, IC and OOC"

My feeling is that if an RP forum is created here for the catskills shard,it should be moderated by a disinterested player from outside of the catskills shard.
And you think this would be good for RP, why?

Any one disinterested in the cats RP community has no reason to moderate our boards. This suggestion makes little to no sense. That is like saying you want to hire someone to do a job that has little to no interest in doing it.

V

Victoria Navarre

And you think this would be good for RP, why?

Any one disinterested in the cats RP community has no reason to moderate our boards. This suggestion makes little to no sense. That is like saying you want to hire someone to do a job that has little to no interest in doing it.
I think it would be good for Stratics to have a moderator that does not have a history of roleplaying in the catskills shard to oversee any eventual RP forum. This would keep things on the level and fair.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted the second yes :p

Ok Im a pvper not much of a role player but Im giving this a shot anyway. Why not mix up the game when its get a little dull on the pvp end in my book. My thing is on a couple of topics I am seeing is this "divided community" come up. How is another forum going to divide the community? To me thats just another place to look for information. If you could see my favorites and the folder I have for UO with links to anything I need its there. Its juts adding one more link to my folder so I can check up on things.

It may just be me but I'm kind of getting the vibe not all are liking this movement. It was suggested in another topic for shard peace and community and it seemed like it is going well. We are having discussions instead of drama but also as I see it. I am actually seeing progress.

lil debi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back around February or so Stratics announced there was the option to create your own forum as was avaliable before the big crash a few years ago. I asked an administrator about moderators and was told the creator was the moderator or who he/she assigns as moderator that Stratics would not supply a moderator. If self created forums are still offered this could be an additional choice for the RP. Bottom line choice are the the Role Player's what they feel they need and the rest will follow.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted yes. I like the idea of unifying under one "official" (if you will) forum. There is like a sleuth of forums all over and frankly when I returned to the game I did not know which one to turn to for the latest information on RP within the shard.

I don't want to have to go to a bunch of different sites to communicate.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And that unified forum has been listed time and again. Perhaps if you went over and registered you would find out some of what the RP community is up to.

We even have vampires there. But most are not friendly, just real toothy.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow glad I now know the white stag was for RP's. Truthfully how would anyone know so maybe stratics should put a (RP) beside it. I had no clue thought the white stag was more like an off topic place so never checked it out.

I still say what is one more forum going to hurt. Change is a good thing and we have to adapt in game with new skills and templates so why is it so hard for people to have another shard forum that deals with RP? Is it because they have no power over the forum?

B

Beleg Megil

In the past, the main reason that there has always been a seperate website from stratics just for role players was because we got griefed a lot by non role players. I guess we could give it a try, but I can pretty much guarantee there will always be a seperate website the RPers use as a backup. I'm all for fewer websites, but then again, I don't post much anyway. I haven't even broke 200 posts and I have had this stratics account for over 4 years. I guess my opinion/vote has changed to "Other".

Why not give it a try? If it sucks, or isn't moderated well and turns into a bunch of fighting and griefing, we can just stop using it.

I'd absolutely want it moderated by an active role player, though. Someone who knows what is going on in the RP community and can keep an eye on the folks that have demonstrated they are only here to make things miserable.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
James Bunnyman for Forum Mod!!!

I will from now on keep my RP posts on the RP forums. I will just come here to bug you all.

V

Victoria Navarre

I will from now on keep my RP posts on the RP forums. I will just come here to bug you all.
Good,then I can bug you back without a banstick looming over my head. Come in,take your shoes off,and stay a while.

V

Victoria Navarre

Awww, it was not that bad.

Really though, just try to have fun playing and let go of the past. And someday I swear it, I will take my own advise.

Slan agat all, I wish you well.
Not that bad? I wish I had access to some of the IM's I received from that old forum. I wish I hit 'print screen' when I had that page open before I was banned.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Judging by the responses so far... none of the options seem to really work... but I think there might be a middle ground.

How about a general policy that is something like this (again, no promises, I'm just a reporter and have no control over moderation in the forums, or creation of new forums, etc)...

1. Any story posts that are more for an enjoyable read, and less for giving important information to people on the shard, should go to the White Stag Inn (perhaps with a post here pointing to the story on the White Stag). When posting on White Stag, you should also mention what shard the story is relative to (nudge people who enjoy the story towards us!).
2. Keep all posts for Catskills on the Catskills forum (instead of having a new sub-forum), but start tagging posts with an "(RP)" tag if they are something that would only interest people who care about the RP community on Catskills (likewise, people could use other tags if they would only apply to people who have interest in a different topic, like (PvP), or (Group Hunt), or whatever - anything that helps people know more about the topic, especially if you can't think of a good title that makes it clear).

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like option 2.

I always tag my RP posts here as RP already. I really just do not wish to see any more seperation in the community the already exists.

C

Corvak

Personally I like the RP topics in the main forum. Helps new players see the RP community being active!

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I know I was not asked... I am gonna say something any way. It is my nature. *chuckles*

I want to preface my comments by saying I really enjoy this forum.

Division and exclusion are generally negative. Just saying...

Yes, sometimes someone will bust up an RP thread. They try any way. As long as you allow it they will. That is the way the internet works. *shrugs*

You have tools you can use as an option. Self discipline, ignore user, etc.

I am watching this with some great interest.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I hate having to browse through a bunch of "non-RP" posts to read what others have posted... sometimes the RP stories are not replied to often and just drop out of sight way too fast. I do not think this is "division" and "exclusion" because the RP forum would not be private; its open to all. But for me its a way to concentrate all my RP stories, tales, information in one place.

I guess the reason I say this is primarily because my RL job deal with information architecture within a community network (intranets, etc). If search on the forum WORKED BETTER, sure keep it... but search is HORRIBLE at best here.

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about this? If you submit a post that will be for an extended story line, PM a mod to sticky it until the event is over, or a new story line is developed. There would have to be limits I guess to the number of stickies allowed at one time and joint related stories would have to go into the same thread. Side bonus I could see here is the story could interest others to participate.

More work for the mods I guess so would really be up to them.

Just my 2 cents.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about this? If you submit a post that will be for an extended story line, PM a mod to sticky it until the event is over, or a new story line is developed. There would have to be limits I guess to the number of stickies allowed at one time and joint related stories would have to go into the same thread. Side bonus I could see here is the story could interest others to participate.

More work for the mods I guess so would really be up to them.

Just my 2 cents.
That would be a lot of work on the Mods to do, we have RP stuff being posted all the time. You just cant always find it...

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow glad I now know the white stag was for RP's. Truthfully how would anyone know so maybe stratics should put a (RP) beside it. I had no clue thought the white stag was more like an off topic place so never checked it out.
The White Stag has had it's description tweaked to make it more obvious that the forum is for RP discussion: "Hail, traveller. Grab a tankard and tell us your story." Discussion of Ultima Online Roleplaying, Lore & Fiction.

Also, a set of post prefixes has been added to the White Stag to help say what shard a particular post is for (see attached).

So those of you who are interested in sharing RP stories across shards, the White Stag should be much more friendly for you.

Attachments

V

Vlaude2

Well, I hate having to browse through a bunch of "non-RP" posts to read what others have posted... sometimes the RP stories are not replied to often and just drop out of sight way too fast. I do not think this is "division" and "exclusion" because the RP forum would not be private; its open to all. But for me its a way to concentrate all my RP stories, tales, information in one place.

I guess the reason I say this is primarily because my RL job deal with information architecture within a community network (intranets, etc). If search on the forum WORKED BETTER, sure keep it... but search is HORRIBLE at best here.
I agree with this post on many levels but for some different reasons. I don't like the RP threads being mixed in with the non-RP ones because if the front page starts to have too many of either then the other types of threads seem out of place. I also disagree with the "division and exclusion" comment because I think that's taking a really simple fix and painting it with a very broad brush. Just saying.

C

CatLord

Anyone reading stratics will sure have alot of RP content to read now...

The Board Quality improved...