• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should real life religion be on a gaming forum?

• Thread starter Elbryan Uthador
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1

Should real life religion be allowed on a gaming forum?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elbryan Uthador

In my opinion. No. This is a game, I do not feel that religious beliefs should be part of this forum. Unless it is done in a Role Playing aspect as the Cult has done in the past.

Discuss your opinion.

Rogal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm voting No to links to bible/religious sites (regardless of denomination) etc.

My No vote does not count against the Church of Napa or The Cult of the Midnight Wraiths etc.

Rogal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "Church of Napa" is presenting itself in a RL manner.
I, personally, have not seen Nabin posting any links to religious sites on this forum.
The church is in game. Does that not make it a game issue or am I missing something here?
In my own personal opinion I feel this thread is headed into another anti-Church of Napa campaign.
I could be wrong but it looks that way right now.

In regards to your comment though can you provide some proof for clarification?

Thanks.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The advice I gave Sonoma board on this issue was that all threads relating to Sonoma church should be marked (RP) in the title.
I made the (possibly erroneous) assumption that the person preaching at these events is not an ordained minister and therefore must only be roleplaying the part?

As a general rule the discussion of religion and politics per se is not considered a suitable topic for the games forums and should be taken to Off Topic, no holds barred.

S

Sunrise

hahahha ok this is a good laugh for first thing in the morning..

seriously tho...hey what ever gets the boards and the game lit up is always good in my book...

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, personally, have not seen Nabin posting any links to religious sites on this forum.
The church is in game. Does that not make it a game issue or am I missing something here?
In my own personal opinion I feel this thread is headed into another anti-Church of Napa campaign.
I could be wrong but it looks that way right now.

In regards to your comment though can you provide some proof for clarification?

Thanks.
Why, yes, Rogal Dorn, I can provide proof for clarification. READ THE ****ING THREADS. There, is that easy enough for you? By the way, it's Pacem behind the "church", not Nabin. You must have missed that somewhere along the way but that's okay...

Ooh, BIG REVELATION (no pun intended) HERE! People don't want others' religions shoved in their face via flatpanel while playing their games! Smack! What an epiphany!

Just like I'm sure everyone here doesn't want to read about my tentacle hentai anime obsession. And no matter how much I try to BS it as being "okay" because of that one wall carving in Khaldun, it's inappropriate.

OH **** I don't even play this anymore! *clicks his boots together three times* LAF! LAF MADE ME POST! LA LA LA LLAMA!:danceb:

Rogal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why, yes, Rogal Dorn, I can provide proof for clarification. READ THE ****ING THREADS. There, is that easy enough for you? By the way, it's Pacem behind the "church", not Nabin. You must have missed that somewhere along the way but that's okay...

Ooh, BIG REVELATION (no pun intended) HERE! People don't want others' religions shoved in their face via flatpanel while playing their games! Smack! What an epiphany!

Just like I'm sure everyone here doesn't want to read about my tentacle hentai anime obsession. And no matter how much I try to BS it as being "okay" because of that one wall carving in Khaldun, it's inappropriate.

OH **** I don't even play this anymore! *clicks his boots together three times* LAF! LAF MADE ME POST! LA LA LA LLAMA!:danceb:
No links, avoiding the profanity filter and general sloppy delivery.
So I take it by that rant, you have no basis for a decent counter statement and you point is therefore... what?

I stand by what I said. The Church of Napa is an in game thing therefore, to me at least, it falls into the area of game related. There's no need to counter with another rant as it will get the debate no where.

Thanks.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

Bella,

Let me clear a few things up for you. Considering you stated that you no longer play the game anymore, you would have no idea that I am actually very behind the church.

I secured the four homes inside the walls of Luna in the NW corner on Lake Austin and gave them to the Church as their cornerstone location. I also host the Sonoma Shard Location and have set up the Location in Napa.

Paceman is the current Pastor.

I don't think we need a bunch of posts here on Stratics with links to real life information. I would say a large majority of that comes through one on one PM's and ICQ conversations of a much more personal nature.

I would say that there are a lot more links put forward that have nothing to do with the game or religion that send us to various utube videos or peoples bands or what not. Frankly it doesn't bother me a bit as I usually can tell the subject matter and skip over the thread as needed.

As a Christian we are all called to bring a little light to everything we do and frankly a Church is just a small part of an entire community. A community is formed of all kinds of people, beliefs, and needs. I have cleared the maxed out message board four times since the church has been up and running which means we have had at least 200 posts over the last few months. Most of them have been prayer requests which were addressed for people in game. Personally I have prayed with many people in game and their needs for their loved ones and family

Yes Ultima is a game which we all enjoy but one of the reasons we love it is the sense of community and connection to others players. Many of us have formed long and intricate friendships over the years where we know quite a bit of each other’s Real life and situations. That sense of community is what makes Napa the Special Shard that it is. Each and every part of town, Each and every person, each and every opinion.

What I like best about Napa is the real sense of helping each other. The Buddy walk from last year in honor of a long time player’s daughter rose over $1100 in real life cash as a donation to her walk. The new Museum going up in downtown Luna will be another such Community location which many are helping out with and supporting. The Old Give and Take Pub often is overflowing with donations. I could go on and on about our community and how it shines.

What caught my eye is your insistence that this is so wrong when you clearly have no involvement in our community. While no community is perfect, it constantly evolves overtime. Many people take advantage of the Napa Valley Christian Church at many levels. Mostly on a one on one basis seeking prayer in game which is its main purpose to create an outlet for those who use UO as a safe place to get away.

I think maybe a better question to poll on here might be "Should Real Life in any Form be on a gaming Forum" Instead of just singling out one part of the community.

This will be my only post to this thread. I wish you and all my Community well.

E

Elbryan Uthador

Bella,

Let me clear a few things up for you. Considering you stated that you no longer play the game anymore, you would have no idea that I am actually very behind the church.

I secured the four homes inside the walls of Luna in the NW corner on Lake Austin and gave them to the Church as their cornerstone location. I also host the Sonoma Shard Location and have set up the Location in Napa.

I don't think we need a bunch of posts here on Stratics with links to real life information. I would say a large majority of that comes through one on one PM's and ICQ conversations of a much more personal nature.

I would say that there are a lot more links put forward that have nothing to do with the game or religion that send us to various utube videos or peoples bands or what not. Frankly it doesn't bother me a bit as I usually can tell the subject matter and skip over the thread as needed.

As a Christian we are all called to bring a little light to everything we do and frankly a Church is just a small part of an entire community. A community is formed of all kinds of people, beliefs, and needs. I have cleared the maxed out message board four times since the church has been up and running which means we have had at least 200 posts over the last few months. Most of them have been prayer requests which were addressed for people in game. Personally I have prayed with many people in game and their needs for their loved ones and family

Yes Ultima is a game which we all enjoy but one of the reasons we love it is the sense of community and connection to others players. Many of us have formed long and intricate friendships over the years where we know quite a bit of each other’s Real life and situations. That sense of community is what makes Napa the Special Shard that it is. Each and every part of town, Each and every person, each and every opinion.

What I like best about Napa is the real sense of helping each other. The Buddy walk from last year in honor of a long time player’s daughter rose over $1100 in real life cash as a donation to her walk. The new Museum going up in downtown Luna will be another such Community location which many are helping out with and supporting.The Old Give and Take Pub often is overflowing with donations. I could go on and on about our community and how it shines.

What caught my eye is your insistence that this is so wrong when you clearly have no involvement in our community. While no community is perfect, it constantly evolves overtime. Many people take advantage of the Napa Valley Christian Church at many levels. Mostly on a one on one basis seeking prayer in game which is its main purpose to create an outlet for those who use UO as a safe place to get away.

I think maybe a better question to poll on here might be "Should Real Life in any Form be on a gaming Forum" Instead of just singling out one part of the community.

I love how the "community" is supporting the new museum. Guess mine was to elitist?

S

Sunrise

Funny how we forget what UO was all about. Its a ROLE PLAYING game.

in this game you can be a murderer, a Saint. A thief or a fisherman. Anything you want to be you can in this game.

Why not start a new religion. Have followers. Make it an only in game religion? Its role playing.

Whats wrong with following a religion in Real life now in a game? if thats what you want your pixles toon to do...Then DO it! In UO almost nothing is stopping you and the sky is the limit...

I don't see what the problem really is. I have heard people say this is a game and they want to get away from real life. Ok NP. so does everyone else. So role play what you want to role play. its very simple. There is ALOT of land out there. heck alot of land where you wont see someone for days...

I say real life or heck make up your own religion should be in the game. Let the people who want to follow follow. Those who don't oK....

Heck if you want to start the dark cult of Ale drinkiers GO for it!!!! Thats what UO has been really about for the past how many years..

Not whos the best PVP or the best champ taker..Or the best gank fest..Or the best tamer/theif/paladin etc etc...Its How U play your role playing chart.

Steps off the soap box..seriously people.. :D :danceb:

S

Sunrise

yeah Im replying to my post...

On the plus side of all of this..I haven't seen the napa boards so on fire lately ...over something new!!!!!

Not just the same old BS about this and this...

Sits back with me glass of Ale and relaxes....

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bella,

What I like best about Napa is the real sense of helping each other. The Buddy walk from last year in honor of a long time player’s daughter rose over $1100 in real life cash as a donation to her walk. The new Museum going up in downtown Luna will be another such Community location which many are helping out with and supporting. The Old Give and Take Pub often is overflowing with donations. I could go on and on about our community and how it shines.

I know very well who you are. I was still playing when you already owned half of Luna. You're a bit of a kook who wants to play grandfather to everyone on this shard and others. And yes, Pacem brought his "I'm going to shove my RL religious cult down everyones' throats," to Napa with your help.

If you or anyone else wants to "roleplay" Little House on the Prairie in-game, fine, go for it. I've seen dumber **** the ten years I played this game. But that's not what you're doing. You want to make a RL religious statement across multiple servers in an online game, regardless of whether anyone wants it or not. It's just like the people who disrespect the privacy of my home and knock on my door to read prayers and crap to me. You have to "spread the word of Jesus" in every, single, possible way you can think of because how dare anyone not believe that ****...

The fact that before Beldynar or Elbryan posted there were THREE freaking threads about your "church" on the first page of the forum says it all.

E

Elbryan Uthador

Funny how we forget what UO was all about. Its a ROLE PLAYING game.

in this game you can be a murderer, a Saint. A thief or a fisherman. Anything you want to be you can in this game.

Why not start a new religion. Have followers. Make it an only in game religion? Its role playing.

Whats wrong with following a religion in Real life now in a game? if thats what you want your pixles toon to do...Then DO it! In UO almost nothing is stopping you and the sky is the limit...

I don't see what the problem really is. I have heard people say this is a game and they want to get away from real life. Ok NP. so does everyone else. So role play what you want to role play. its very simple. There is ALOT of land out there. heck alot of land where you wont see someone for days...

I say real life or heck make up your own religion should be in the game. Let the people who want to follow follow. Those who don't oK....

Heck if you want to start the dark cult of Ale drinkiers GO for it!!!! Thats what UO has been really about for the past how many years..

Not whos the best PVP or the best champ taker..Or the best gank fest..Or the best tamer/theif/paladin etc etc...Its How U play your role playing chart.

Steps off the soap box..seriously people.. :D :danceb:

Sitting on a bank roof in bear form is not roleplaying.

S

Sunrise

It Aint?? dang why didn't someone tell me this?? I would of sat IDLE in a bar instead :p While I was AFK.... :D

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*stands, naked save for his white underwear and his bascinet, between the railroad tracks, arms crossed, body perfectly oiled, and makes the train that is the thread derail, horribly*

R

Rein28

if it were a zeus church it would be ok? You that judge this church, why? I have seen this game from its start and let me tell you, its a open world, leave people alone, you that dont want it go join our obama and kill all that is left good in the world. I for one will stand for what I love and if you dont like it, just go away, no one is forcing you to come to the church, but if it was a gay party all would atend and it would be ok? Let it go and back off of what you dont care for, no one is pointing a gun to you and asking you to come, dont point fingers to things that seem out of your reach of thinking.

R

Rein28

Sitting on a bank roof in bear form is not roleplaying.
oh and acting like a knight which in real life your not is? Man, I know you and the guild we both were in, we had RPers and yea you are one that I would say that is good, but don't act like your above the cut.

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if it were a zeus church it would be ok? You that judge this church, why? I have seen this game from its start and let me tell you, its a open world, leave people alone, you that dont want it go join our obama and kill all that is left good in the world. I for one will stand for what I love and if you dont like it, just go away, no one is forcing you to come to the church, but if it was a gay party all would atend and it would be ok? Let it go and back off of what you dont care for, no one is pointing a gun to you and asking you to come, dont point fingers to things that seem out of your reach of thinking.
Oh gods, here we go... I don't want to have Christianity shoved in my face in UO or UO forums so I must be a homosexual Obama supporter.....

IT'S TEH RAPTURE COMETH!!!1!

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh and acting like a knight which in real life your not is? Man, I know you and the guild we both were in, we had RPers and yea you are one that I would say that is good, but don't act like your above the cut.
huh WOT ?

I'm not sure which would be a better upgrade for you, sense or literacy.

S

Sunrise

Gets more popcorn....and ale...

Come on folks..there is alot more room on these bank seats....come on and enjoy the show....

BM...Just U are funny but U SO can't stop a thread like PM can :D sorry...Good try..but no cigar :D but plz folks..dont feed the trolls ;D

Now again..what was this thread about?? OOOO yeah...these boards have not been on this much fire in a long time...Hey New mods..have to enjoy it right? :D

R

Richard Pryor

Bella is atleast being honest about why he doesn't think real life religion doesn't belong in game. Saying that it doesn't belong is stupid without giving a decent reason and I think that abhorring organized religion is a perfectly suitable reason.

E

Elbryan Uthador

Then you would know "Mr Smarty" that I was a Paladin and not a knight. Well not until the end when all the good rp'ers had left and it was a waste of time to try to stay in character.

And you are? Or were?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread has been cleaned up, keep it on topic please, keep people's real lives out of it, and if you have something 'personal' to discuss do it through private messages or some other medium besides Stratics boards.

Thank you.

A

Arch Magus

I voted yes, although It really doesn't bother me.

People can do whatever they want, It doesn't have to suit you.

Maybe some people should just get thicker skin and quit whining?

*hmm, baby gonna cry?*:loser:

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People can do whatever they want, It doesn't have to suit you.
Oh so people can ramrod their beliefs on how I should live, down my throat, in every insidious way possible?

There is this concept called "consideration."

Oh well. When in Rome..................................................................................................................burn Christians.

Bella Morte

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen people create in-game groups or activities based on RL interests for lots of different things. But it's crossed the line and become "Let's spam our religious beliefs across UO."

A

Arch Magus

Oh so people can ramrod their beliefs on how I should live, down my throat, in every insidious way possible?

There is this concept called "consideration."

Oh well. When in Rome..................................................................................................................burn Christians.
Ramrodding anything down someone's throat? in UO?

that's not even possible considering the options you have to ignore people.

the only "consideration" here, is NONE, on your part. :talktothehand:

It's only letters on a screen. for real...

Kimberly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Doesn't bother me."

The only thing I found annoying were the preaching llamas. Now they're all on my ignore list.

Kimberly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love how the "community" is supporting the new museum. Guess mine was to elitist?
As the owner of the "new museum" in question, I am sorry you did not receive the same support from the community. I cannot imagine how you managed to put everything together by yourself without help, which makes me even more impressed with how expansive your collection was. It honestly never occurred to me to contact you about donating to your museum because, by the time I first saw it, it seemed already complete.

I was personally quite fond of your museum and was inspired to start thinking more seriously about my dream (of opening my own museum) when you were selling off your stuff. Luckily, Nabin was able to help turn my dream into a reality.

I hope you harbor no ill feelings towards me or the museum because, as I mentioned in another thread, I would love your input.

E

Elbryan Uthador

As the owner of the "new museum" in question, I am sorry you did not receive the same support from the community. I cannot imagine how you managed to put everything together by yourself without help, which makes me even more impressed with how expansive your collection was. It honestly never occurred to me to contact you about donating to your museum because, by the time I first saw it, it seemed already complete.

I was personally quite fond of your museum and was inspired to start thinking more seriously about my dream (of opening my own museum) when you were selling off your stuff. Luckily, Nabin was able to help turn my dream into a reality.

I hope you harbor no ill feelings towards me or the museum because, as I mentioned in another thread, I would love your input.

I have no ill feelings towards any museum. I just find it ironic that when I needed a bigger place in Luna, I sure didn't get one just handed to me. I just find the whole thing amusing.

I had a few people loan me items for my museum, but it amounted to maybe 5 items total.

Otis Firefly

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i agree with Petra Fyde and any future threads on any religious topic should be posted with (RP) in the title

Status
Not open for further replies.