• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Should I use studded or normal leather?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm making a new suit for my warrior. At the moment I'm using 2x arties and 4x crafted parts. The total LMC will be 32. If I craft from studded leather with the new bonus (3% per part) this will bump me up to 44 LMC in total.

I made the base parts from studded and went to shame to see how the mana would hold out. The MR was terrible. I don't have meditation skill on this char but it was mega slow.

Would I get more of a mana return if i made the parts from normal "medable" leather and ran at 32 LMC total?

Also does MR on studded parts work?

Last edited:

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm making a new suit for my warrior. At the moment I'm using 2x arties and 4x crafted parts. The total LMC will be 32. If I craft from studded leather with the new bonus (3% per part) this will bump me up to 44 LMC in total.

I made the base parts from studded and went to shame to see how the mana would hold out. The MR was terrible. I don't have meditation skill on this char but it was mega slow.

Would I get more of a mana return if i made the parts from normal "medable" leather and ran at 32 LMC total?

Also does MR on studded parts work?
I just put a detailed post on the warrior forum about passive regain rate. There is a calculator on the Knuckleheads website that will tell you the numbersbut in short medable armour with the same regain as non med will regain faster. also your int and focus skill will play a part in this too. on the calculator o the website I mentioned there is a link to a post from Phoenix (the developer) which fully explains the mana regain calculations.

Thanks.
raz

Pyccy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
basically if even 1 piece is not medable you wont have bonus from meditation skill and mr bonus on ur ar..
so imho mr property on not medable items is useless...
55 lmc + focus is the way ;)

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
basically if even 1 piece is not medable you wont have bonus from meditation skill and mr bonus on ur ar..
so imho mr property on not medable items is useless...
55 lmc + focus is the way ;)
Well.. I disagree with above.... Examples.

Elven Sampire (in Non-Med Armor) PASSIVE Regen Rates:

A) 0 Focus / 0 Med / 40 INT / 0 MR on Suit = 0.06 MR / Sec
B) 0 Focus / 0 Med / 40 INT / 16 MR on Suit = 1.00 MR / Sec

I definitely see a difference there... but I'd say the REAL question is if that amount of mana regen matters to a sampire when you consider the usefulness of other mods. I'd pick other mods on my Sampire just because Hit Mana leech 50% (w/ AI's of say 150 ~non ranged Weapon) be leeching ~ 15 Mana / Hit. That's easily enough to make Passive MR on your suit a moot point heh.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The difference between Med and Non-Med on a non-human with 100 INT and no med skill is 1 mana every 2 seconds in active regen, 1 every 4 seconds in passive. PERIOD. The only variable that comes into play is INT, and the lower the INT, the less difference there is.

Anyone who thinks MR is wasted on non-med armor is a fool, because for some reason they think that somehow warriors will find the time to actively med in the middle of combat. MR on a non-med suit and Mana Leech and/or Mana drain trump active med, and reduce the dependence on passive med far more than any perceived benefit of being medable. You sure as hell don't want to waste skill points on Med, and the Focus passive med bonus applies regardless of armor worn.

All you get from Meditation in a medable suit is ((3xMed skill)+INT)/400, so if you aren't playing a caster (or cast-heavy hybrid that HAS to have med on it), you don't need to worry about med or medable armor. 3 MR6 Reforged pieces on a non-med suit is better passive regen than 100 med + a medable suit. Properties are easy - cramming skill points into a template, that;s hard.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats what I was getting at, unless you plan on active med OR you have high meditation,int and focus the choice between non med and med is moot. I personally wouldn't run anything other than my super cast heavy hybrid in medable armour, that suit has 35MR 120 med/focus and I use wraith form, and between spells I activate med for the uber boost. On my warriors... I use mana leech for PvM and for PvP I am kind of a "fast flurry of dmage or get killed" type character, thats how i like it lol!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I just noted in the other thread, where non-med has a weakness, it's PvP against an active, evenly matched, foe, as the damage limits for PvP severely cramp leeches.

Mana drain, if it goes off, is better than mana leech in PvP, because you end up temporarily lowering their mana pool and adding to yours. Both together, might actually let you survive a PvP target that is tougher than you expected, but a medable suit will retain its slight advantage in those situations if your target lives.

Britain

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
ive made a high MR, LMC 45 plate set for pvp on a poison fencer and this suit way out performs my leather suit of a pretty similar stats.

The fact my stam goes down a lot less is a massive benefit.