• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shield?

H

HeavyMetal

Good morning,

Sorry to post what seems like a simple question to me (but i cant find an answer!)

I dont really see anything about using a 1h weapon plus a shield on a warrior template, maybe im overlooking something.

I guess I am looking for, from a survivabilty standpoint, using a 1h + shield vs using a 2hander and bushido.. i was going to simplify my template and leave bushido out if I could find some good data regarding using a shield but im not finding any data.

I am just making the guy and would like to do something like,

mace
tactics
parry
anatomy
healing
magic resist
chivalry

This is for pvm.

Thoughts?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sheilds work fine, most people prefer Bushido for PvM melee chars because of the huge bonuses that come from Lightning Strike, Honor, and Perfection.

If you carry a sheild and have Bushido/Parry your chance to parry is seriously reduced.

H

HeavyMetal

Is there any benefit to using a shield + 1h over using a 2 hand with bushido though?

Damage will go down from going from 2h -> and losing out on bushido, but will survivabilty go up?

Basically I want to make a really good tank, you know? Im ok with having some reduced damage if I can survive longer... however, if shield + 1h doesnt provide more mitigation then its silly of me to skip the 2h + bushido... hope that makes sense

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there any benefit to using a shield + 1h over using a 2 hand with bushido?

Damage will go down from going from 2h -> and losing out on bushido, but will survivabilty go up?
In my experience no. Your ability to survive will not increase by using 1h wep and sheild opposed to using a 2 handed with bushido. Assuming 120 bush/parry you actually have a better chance to parry with a 2 handed wep than a 1h w/ shield at 120 parry.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See the thing is, most people use 1 handed weapons because of the versatility factor. Unless you have a good smith, or deep pockets, it is difficult to meet all of the 2 hand weapon needs that you will have as a Samurai 侍.

Even with that being said, you still need very good tactics as far as using a 2 hand weapon. Not to mention, you template will need to be versatile since you will need the jewelry to have the stuff that you would have had if you had a shield equipped.

Even with two-hand weapons, I still carry a one-handed weapon because of the whirlwind bonus that you receive when using bushido. You really can't beat that when you need to get max return on life, stamina and mana.

As long as my mana and everything else though, is not near zero, I use a 2 handed weapon. Better survivability due to the increased parry chance and I can clean house with the more powerful hits and momentum strike. Pretty much any mob dies in a couple of hits...it's that easy.

H

HeavyMetal

When I get up to the higher difficulty stuff will I need healing do you guys think or will healing from chivalry / bushido suffice?

Still trying to get my template nailed down =\

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I get up to the higher difficulty stuff will I need healing do you guys think or will healing from chivalry / bushido suffice?

Still trying to get my template nailed down =\
This is where most of the Stratics PvMers disagree. I swear by having heal/anat on my Sampire, where they say life leech is plenty.

If you are looking for PvM I'd read through the other threads about Sampires and Wammys, they are hands down the best Solo PvM templates.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is where most of the Stratics PvMers disagree. I swear by having heal/anat on my Sampire, where they say life leech is plenty.

If you are looking for PvM I'd read through the other threads about Sampires and Wammys, they are hands down the best Solo PvM templates.
Have to say I agree with Lynk. Pretty solid points.

It will just come down to your personal preference AND fighting tactics, as to whether you prefer the heal + anatomy combination or using life leech, confidence and curse weapon. Just really all comes down to fighting tactics. Everybody is different.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the nice thing about hit life leech is you can leech right through a mortal or poisoned blow.

I have healing in my pally Samurai but I mostly use it for getting rid of poisons and occasionally patching myself up if the fight turns bad.

It is pretty easy to be soloing so big goon and doing fine, only to have some idiot run in and lure half of UO over to you just before he dies. At that point...enhanced bandies and healing is nice.

Remember with Bushido if you achieve perfection 100% of all of your stat pools are refilled when you slay the monster. You can be almost red lined and when that monster drops you are at max HP/MANA /STAM. which is a real boost.

H

HeavyMetal

I appreciate all your guys' thoughts on the matter.

I dont plan on including necromancy, as I see a lot of you have. I am not disputing that its good or anything, it just doesnt interest me.

Haha now i need to figure out how to fit in...

Mace fighting
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Resist Magic
Bushido
Chivalry
Parry

Oy. =)

Skill jewelry i guess.

C

Connor_Graham

You don't need Resist if this char will be PvM only. Orange petals and a trapped box will do you just fine.

G

GFY

Here's a bit of help.

Mace fighting 120
Tactics 100
Anatomy100
Healing 90
Bushido 120
Chivalry 90 (My prefrence)
Parry 120

With a 720 stat cap you'll need +20 in any one of these skills to get to the 740 total this template requires. If you have a lower stat cap you'll need a few more points (up to a total of 40) but this is very do able.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I appreciate all your guys' thoughts on the matter.

I dont plan on including necromancy, as I see a lot of you have. I am not disputing that its good or anything, it just doesnt interest me.

Haha now i need to figure out how to fit in...

Mace fighting
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Resist Magic
Bushido
Chivalry
Parry

Oy. =)

Skill jewelry i guess.
Not so difficult. Can go something like this:

120 Mace fighting (max accuracy and max chances to hit)
120 Bushido (max chance for criticals, 20%, max perfection...takes less to achieve)
120 Parry (need max defense to help attain max survivability...very important).
100 Tactics (get bonus for having 100 or more for evasion chance when coupled with parry, and might as well clean house with additional damage setup).
100 Anatomy (might as well...you get a bonus so you will have +55% DI)
100 Healing
60 Chivalry

As far as healing and chivalry goes, +chivalry jewelry is usually pretty easy to find. You can use +chivalry in order to cut down on the failure rate on divine fury and enemy of one.

Is your personal preference though. You can flip flop and go 90 healing(min. to not fail) and 70 chivalry instead.

It's not really NEEDED, but if you had +skill jewelry to attain more healing and anatomy thats good too, since that will help you heal back more. Shouldn't really be an issue though with chivalry, ecru ring if you use one, bandages, confidence, and perfection put back.

H

HeavyMetal

Going to take your guys' advice and wave goodbye for now to resist magic on this guy.

What sort of stats do you guys run with base?

Thanks.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm no stats master and base my overall stats off of what I have on my gear. Hence, as far as stats...I am constantly adjusting them to get it how I like. Picky I guess. Most people seem to run with max dex 125 and then have strength 100 or so.

Some people are more set in their ways as how they like their stats though. Would depend too whether you are human or elf.

B

Balian of Asgard

your stats are gonna be dictated buy your suit, weapons and playstyle.

If you can leech alot of mana, then you can go for more dex or str, if you cant leech mana, then go for more int.

Your suit comes into play here as well, if you build a suit with alot of stam inc and mana inc, then you can get more str for the hit points. Or if you get a MR suit with HPI and HPR etc.... lol, so many different scenarios, hehe, then you can get a huge ass pool of mana and endlessly spam specials!!!!!

Playstyle dictates

G

GFY

I've taken most of my dexxers to Elf for the mana bonus. Combine that with 40 LMC and your template will rock AND roll!

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there any benefit to using a shield + 1h over using a 2 hand with bushido though?

Basically I want to make a really good tank, you know? Im ok with having some reduced damage if I can survive longer... however, if shield + 1h doesnt provide more mitigation then its silly of me to skip the 2h + bushido... hope that makes sense
Well, for a 2h weapon to work as parry you need parry and bushido as skill (240 skill points to max out), whereas a shield just needs parry skill to work (120 skill).... but you certainly have the bushido "spells" too if you have the skill.
If you have the skill points add bushido!!!!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I do prefer bushido and one handed weapons, there are reasons to use a shield and no bushido.

For example, you can have a lot more mods with a shield. A shield can give you up to +15 DCI, +15 HCI, FC1 as well as a full array of resists (usually 1-4 in each value, depending on what it's enhanced with.

A shield has the same block chance as a bushido user with a one handed weapon.

You can use potions without sacrificing your defense/attack chances simply by disarming the shields. That way you don't have to run away from a fight to chug.

With 100% damage increase on your weapon, 100% damage increase from a slayer weapon and 50% damage increase from enemy of one, you won't be gaining much damage from perfection anyway.

Diamond maces are one handed and give the best damage output over time out of all the mace weapons

But these are the reasons I use bushido, even with a one handed weapon:
Luck. Adding 1000 luck from perfection to every kill helps.
Always a free hand for potions. I don't lose any DCI/HCI or anything else in order to keep hitting.
Lightning strike deals massive damage.
Confidence is a boon, especially when used along side bandages (my macro, bandage self/cast confidence)
Evasion. It'll save your life.
Healing mana/stamina/life from defeating an honored opponent saves a lot of bandages.