• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] Shield Penalty on Thrower

Gridley

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Howdy all, I recently returned back to UO after a long while and had a technical question for you all. I am working up a throwing character and am considering equipping a shield for the extra stats it can give, provided those stats can outweigh the penalty to hit. As per both stratics and UOGuide:

"All the throwing weapons are one-handed in nature which allows the thrower to equip a shield or other item in their off hand. The player will suffer a defense and hit chance penalty for using a shield while using a throwing weapon. These penalties can be offset by investing skill points into Parrying. Player’s with no skill points in the Parry Skill will now have a minimum chance to hit. "

Is there ANYWHERE I can go to read up on the specifics on what/how much the penalty is, and the corresponding levels of parry/HCI penalty?

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only thing I know is that when you equip a shield on a thrower without parry, you barely hit anything, like 1-5%.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
They may have change this. So the best is to test it yourself.
Go to TC and check how often you miss against weak monsters.

I believe that with 120 parry you will miss about 15-20% of swings. I hope they fixed this since the time I tested.

Gridley

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
On the off chance anyone knows or has experimented, will stacking HCI beyond cap cancel out the penalty (assuming 120 parry, 65/45 HCI equipped)? Even *if* it does, I'm with Obsidian in that needing 120 parry really does make it a tough sell.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the only problem with 120 parry completely negating it is you'd have range characters continuing to hit at range, with damage defending as well as a melee character . Kind of removes any disadvantages associated with ranged gameplay so there'd be no reason to play anything else other than personal handicap.