• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Seriously considering changing a miner to an elf.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm thinking of at least trying it out on one of my miners. It seems like the extra 20% chance at colored ore should outweigh the additional strike that humans get.

Anyone have both elf and human miners for comparison?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Im wondering about this my self and have seen no posts on this I have thought of moving mining over to my elf archer just to test it and see
does the percent apply to just the iron spots giving them a colored chance or does it add to the percent for all coloreds to be bumped I have no clue how this works would be a good thing to figure out then sticky it

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I understood a recent dev post an ore vein or a tree have a finite amount of resource and each strike gives you a 40% chance at colored ore or wood and a 60% chance for normal. This is on each swing of the axe, pick or shovel.

An elf gets a 60% chance at colored ore or wood and 40% chance that the strike or axe swing will be normal colored.

At the miserably low rate with which I'm finding verite and valorite veins, I'm thinking the increased 20% chance at producing colored ore per strike may be worth the switch to an elf miner.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oops. Somehow I posted this in the smith's forum but I meant to put it in the miner's forum.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Want me to move it? (I moderate both, after all)

J

jelake

Either the RNG is broken or the colored/non-colored ratios are not as they are advertised, for mining at least. I have a human and I usually get 60-75% colored per spawn. Many times I have swung for colored ore 6 or more times in a row without getting a non-colored ore pile. I haven't tried an elf miner, though, so I don't know if it would be better than that or not. Perhaps other human miners can corroborate this.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah; I've heard this 40% number bandied about, but NEVER seen it in practice.

While ore types have changed, I kept some notes - including dumping my least productive runes well before then.

In my experience, every spot has a DIFFERENT colored ore percentage, that is intrinsic to that resource square. No matter the ore color, the tend to produce almost the same amount of ore each time, if allowed to fully refresh (+/- 2 large). And, the percentage of iron to colored ore holds true, for that spot, even if it goes to iron, and you have to use a prospector tool to get Dull copper from it. If it tends to give 50% colored, you'll get a bell curve based on 50% color from charting mining trips there - regardless of what color you get. Some places give 80-90% colored consistantly, like the TRAMMEL spot I went to that gave 30 swings of ore, 27 of which were colored (and counting doubles as one swing). And that is TYPICAL results for that spot, over the last 4 years.

There is no way in H-E-Double-toothpicks that a 40% chance that a human supposedly has, is going to go THAT far off the chart, repeatedly. BTW, for the statistically impaired, that's less than a 0.0000000004% chance of occurring, if the 40% chance value was valid in any way. And that is the chance of it occuring once. I don't want to have to dig up my old textbooks and try to figure out the chance of it happening TWICE in a row.

G

why not head on over to test shard,

make a human miner (gm mining, gm tinker for tools) and go out and hit mountains near new haven 1000 times.

then 20 minutes later after the mountain repawns

make a elf miner (same skills) and go out and hit the same mountains 1000 times.

G

No need, my miner is an elf and the boost is a myth. I spent 2 hours mining in Ilshendar last night (I was hoping for paragon elementals), during that time I was noting the colored/vs plain iron ratios. I used a prospectors and garg pick on every spot I mined to get at least to shadow ore (again for ellies). I maybe broke even three times, most spots I was gettin 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 iron/colored. Hardly seems like I was getting a better shot at the colored to me.

Rey~

J

jelake

Just ran a small test with my human miner.

5 spawns, same spot.

Colored - Iron Swings

12-1
13-6
14-4
14-4
30-8 Whoa! Not sure why it had so much this last time.

I also believe some spots yield higher ratios than others. Some on my runebook will maybe give half while others like the one above give insane amounts of colored; even for a human.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm beginning to suspect the following:

1. The 40% number, if it was ever valid for anything, was the chance to make a NEVER-MINED area colored, when the colored ores were introduced. It doesn't apply anymore, unless by some miracle that you find a place never mined (most likely in Ilshenar). There's a slight chance it might mean the amount of Dull copper one gets from elevating an iron spot, but I've seen some ore veins that make this doubtful.

2. The resource squares have a randomly-set, but permanent percentage chance for the iron to colored ratio, that stays the same no matter what the ore changes to (though if it changes to iron, you have to use a prospector's tool to get the colored ore).

3. The elven 20% is probably applied like the Elder/legendary smith's color bonus - in the formula, resulting in a much lower number.

Examples:
Elder smiths get 20% more colored bods - Because half the BODs are always iron weapons, this is 20% increase of color BOD only in the ARMOR half of the equation. Weapons: 100% iron, Armor: 70% colored, 30% iron. This is a 20% increase for the armor BODs, but only a 10% increase to the TOTAL number of colored BODs (with weapons included, goes from 75% iron/25% colored to 65%/35%).
Legendary smiths: As elder, but the 40% increase (armor BODs are 90% colored) translates to 55% iron/45% colored for all total BODs.

If this holds true for mining, then it's probable the 20% (or 1/5, written as a fraction) increase for elves is something like one of these two scenarios:

Increase similar to BODs:
Human: A specific ore vein gives 35% colored ore.
Elf: the same vein gives 35% +35%/5 = 35%+7% = 42% colored ore.

Or a dig number factor, like the chop increase for elven lumberjacks:
Human: will average 15 digs at a specific spot
Elf: will get 18 digs on average at the same spot (15+15/5)

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey thanks for moving it. I was gonna repost but I figured enough smith's were miners anyway.

Interesting topic huh? Hehe.

I'm gonna take one poster's advice and do some testing on TC.

I'll get back with how it goes.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe the last number was the result of the site hitting its respawn time WHILE you were mining it. It happens on rare occasions. So, you effectively got two trips' worth in one stop.

K

killer instinct

Well I am not sure that you get better ore.I changed to a elf to obtain more gems.Not really sure it matters much tho