• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Seeking information Regarding UO cloth maps

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been away from the game for a couple years now but I still look back on the 14+ years spent playing with great nostalgia. I was searching for Ultima collectors items and came about a few Ultima and Ultima Online cloth maps. These would look great in my "man cave" and a great reminder of the awesome times I had in game.

Now my question is, where can I acquire these items and which box sets actually had these cloth maps? I looked on eBay and purchased a Third Dawn cloth map, but I would really like to find an original Ultima Online cloth map from the first release.

Any information would be great.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They're pretty rare now, and after all this time, and all the collectors holding on, I guess I'm not surprised there aren't any listed on eBay. It hurts to think that I had one, along with the pewter lapel pin, lost over the years.

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At a minimum - The Charter Edition and the First (non-charter) release of UO both have the cloth maps (at least my copies do).

Two boxed copies of UO that had the cloth map were for sale on eBay until just a few days ago.
I have seen a few recent ones on eBay end up around $50.

I'm not home to reference my copy but the "Ultima Online Ultimate Collectors Edition" book probably has detailed information on which versions had cloth maps.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mine is somewhere. Still have the first CD from 97 but the box didn't make it through a flood.

I used that cloth map to find towns and dungeons back in the day.

Looking at the CD I notice it is rated 17+. I guess things were removed to get it to 14.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
as per the Ultima Online "The Ultimate Collector's Guide" 2013 Gold Edition (Stephen Emond);

Ultima Online - Charter Edition (US) 1997 had cloth map and pin 15 1/2" x 15 1/2"
Ultima Online - Regular Edition 1 (US) 1997 15 1/2" x 15 1/2"
Ultima Online - Regular Edition 2 (US) 1997 15 1/2" x 15 1/2"
Ultima Online - Import Edition (UK) 1997 15 1/2" x 15 1/2"
Ultima Online -Regular Edition (JP) 1997 16"x16"
Ultima Online - Import Edition (Australia) 1997 15 1/2" x 15 1/2"

There are 2 different versions of the cloth map.
Version 1 went to all US/UK/Australia
Version 2 went to Japan
the Version 2 was thinner and the colors not as dark with no dark outlines.

The Third Dawn - 2001 China Edition - Cloth map of brit/ilsh and lost lands

UO: TD Map Pack - 2001 (US) cloth map with brit on front and LL on back 16 1/2" x 12 1/2"

that is all i can find for cloth maps.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its funny.
i was looking at my old map from 1997.
i translated the writing on it and wrote with a sharpy pen right on the map which towns where which, haha, guess that one wont be worth anything as a collectors one!

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I pulled out three cloth maps that I have.

The first is from Ultima IV, the second from the original 1997 boxed edition, and the third one is from the introduction of the Lost Lands, whichever edition and year that was. All are in mint condition - no cities marked in black magic marker on my maps!

EDIT: Just checked some more and I have all the paper maps, and my original receipt from Babbages of $59.99 + tax for the original UO box, marked "no returns."

Last edited:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Cloth maps started with Ultima 2 and have been used in the main series and UO. I've been doing a bit of collecting and trading myself lately and have found the following:

Ultima 1 DOES have a cloth map via the Pony Canyon release, but is VERY expensive to get hold of.
Ultima 3's map is made with a very heavy almost felt cloth. Probably the heaviest of the maps I have owned in terms of material. By comparison, the Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle maps are probably the thinnest/flimsiest material used for the maps.
Ultima 4 has two versions of the cloth map. One has a limited colorset and black outlines, the other has a higher number of colors used, but lack the outlines and looks "blurry" in comparison.
Ultima 5 also has two maps which differ mainly in one is printed darker and the other lighter overall.
Ultima 6 maps are fairly standardized and have the richest color in the series
Ultima 7/Serpent Isle maps as stated are much lighter/flimsier and seem to be the most cheaply produced
Ultima 8 maps I don't collect
Ultima 9 I only have the one from when I bought the game and is another I don't actively collect since the look of Britannia is not to my liking.
UO as stated above has the main Britannia map from the initial release and one that has the Lost Lands added to the right.

In terms of cost, the maps by themselves generally seem to run between $20 and $40 for maps from 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and UO (Not the one with the Lost Lands added). Others will tend to cost more or generally only be found in package deals with the game. For game package deals, it depends on how complete the game package is. Case in point, if you just want an Ultima 4 map, you can get an incomplete package for the $20-40 range. Add in the rest of the materials, ESPECIALLY the Ankh trinket and you're looking at $80-100+.

Keep watching EBay, packages are added almost daily.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Adding up all the costs, I figure my three cloth maps cost in the neighborhood of $2,400 to $2,600. A bargain, don't you think?

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the awesome information... I'll be sure to keep an eye out on ebay and look for those specific box sets.

V/r,
Nasty

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just found my cloth map yesterday! I also found my 3rd dawn and AoS paper maps, and I'm totally hangin them up. I have my pewter pin somewhere, the trouble is, I don't want to put it on my hat cause I'm scared I'll lose it. Hell, I'm suprised I haven't lost both to the ages!

ArctosNoctua

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
HI! Please! If anyone is willing to sell their Ulitma Online Character Edition map, I would be willing to by for 75$+shipping. (Or make me an offer?) Thank you so much! (Hopefully a present for someone who has had a really rough year..)

Skunk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the cloth map with the pewter pin. Great addition to my collection.

ArctosNoctua

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It's like my last piece of UO now that I don't play though. Let me think about it, private message me if I take too long.
Thank you. (Please keep in mind that this would totally make my friend's entire year. He has been trying to hunt one down unsuccessfully for a very long time.)
I suppose I should confirm that it is the original one, the one WITHOUT the Lost Lands on it?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How about some of you with these maps scanning or taking a HQ pic with your camera phones, so we can tell what is what?

I 'm sure we've got room here at Stratics to host a gallery of the different maps for identification purposes.

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to hang it on the wall a vinyl record album cover frame fits it pretty close(that is what I used for mine).

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like it's been just over a year since I created this thread. Since then I've acquired all the Ultima maps to include Ultima 1. Unfortunately, it's the cardboard map and not the ultra rare japanese cloth map.

Not pictured are the Ultima 2/3 cloth maps. They were added to my collection after this picture was taken.

I'll have to get a picture of all the trinkets, boxes and manuals later. It's been a fun year collecting this stuff!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Here are my maps. Note my U4 map is the second version compared to Freelsy's U4 map. The "World's Of Ultima" UO map is one I still need to obtain as well as the U4E map which was $200+ last time it was on ebay and probably will only go up now that that game is dead and they never did widely distribute them. I'll be adding Shroud of the Avatar and Shards here in the future.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This is my favorite UO thing. Still sits on a shelf above my TV. Needs a scrubbing ;) There's another dragon style too, wish I would have gotten that one also.

UO gragon.jpg

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Here are my maps. Note my U4 map is the second version compared to Freelsy's U4 map. The "World's Of Ultima" UO map is one I still need to obtain as well as the U4E map which was $200+ last time it was on ebay and probably will only go up now that that game is dead and they never did widely distribute them. I'll be adding Shroud of the Avatar and Shards here in the future.
Send me a link to the images of what those two maps look like. I wasn't aware of those two maps. Thanks!

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are some recent pictures of what I've been able to find through my online treasure hunting.

Cloth Maps & Trinkets
- Ultima I The First Age of Darkness Cardboard Map
- Missing Bag of coins
- Ultima II Revenge of the Enchantress Cloth Map
- Ultima III Exodus Cloth Map
- Ultima IV Quest of the Avatar Cloth Map
- Missing the Ankh Pendant
- Ultima V Warriors of Destiny Cloth Map
- Codex Coin
- Ultima VI The False Prophet Cloth Map
- Moonstone
- Ultima VII The Black Gate Cloth Map
- Medallion of Fellowship
- Ultima VII Part 2 Serpent Isle Cloth Map
- Ultima VIII Pagan Cloth Map
- Pentagram Coin
- Ultima IX Ascension Dragon Edition Cloth Map
- Ascension Poster
- Signed Certificate
- Set of Tarot Cards
- Ankh Pendant
- Ultima Online Cloth Map
- Pewter Pin in original plastic
- Worlds of Ultima Cloth Map

Included Charter Edition box w/ signed certificate.
- I've misplaced my Hildebrandt print poster (kicks self)

Also included are manuals from throughout the series. I love how they printed their manuals on thick paper with leather binding and covers.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I used to work in a frame shop, and I gave our map a professional frame job! We weren't even playing UO at the time... we just had great memories of it. Then we came back and made more!

(Not a great pic... lighting in that room is pretty bad for taking pictures.)

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some really nice collections! Put mine to shame that's for sure...

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok now I guess I need to dig up my old maps / boxes (com64) and such and see how many duplicates and early maps I have.
I like the idea of making that same picture frame out of the best one.

martink

Visitor
I've been away from the game for a couple years now but I still look back on the 14+ years spent playing with great nostalgia. I was searching for Ultima collectors items and came about a few Ultima and Ultima Online cloth maps. These would look great in my "man cave" and a great reminder of the awesome times I had in game.

Now my question is, where can I acquire these items and which box sets actually had these cloth maps? I looked on eBay and purchased a Third Dawn cloth map, but I would really like to find an original Ultima Online cloth map from the first release.

Any information would be great.
Haha, 10 years later from the original post, I'm going through some of my stuff and find a mint UO cloth map.

I'm happy to sell it -- it used to mean a lot to me back in the day and it deserves a good home.

I don't know what the rules of this forum are -- I hope I'm not breaking any.

If you're interested, PM me.

imgonline-com-ua-Color-Temperature-9RIPcmb4YdE6u9.jpg

Last edited: