• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Seeking Ankh of Unity & other old friends

Lord Dunamis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
My name is Lord Dunamis, and I am considering a return to UO after well over a decade away. For years, I was very involved in rolpelay on the GL shard. I was the one time governor of Jhelom. I am looking for old friends to see if any of them are still around. Mostly I am looking for members of our old gulid "The Ankh of Unity". Specifically, I am looking for the following people.

Lore Denin - my old guildmaster and great friend
Lady Messenger - my one-time in game wife
Ronin Wanderer - a friend of the guild, and my best in game friend

If any of you are here, or anyone knows if they are still in Great Lakes, please let me know. I am interested in connecting with any other old guildmates and friends as well.

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Lord Dunamis, there is still an rp community on GL. Lore left Great Lakes some time ago as in years back for another shard, then quit responding in icq. Whispering Wind has mostly gone with it, there maybe a few structures left I've not paid much attention to the names on houses since the community there left. Governor Riley of Skara Brae resides in Whispering Wind. I've not seen nor heard of Lady Messenger or Ronin Wanderer at least not by those names.

Ra'Dian Fl'Gith is still about, as is Willa of Yewwood, Polynikes of Yew, Parts of the old Order of the Silver Serpent. gl.uorpc.net would be a good place to try.

Vivian Fellows

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hi Dunamis, I'll do my best to retell what I know.

Denin left around January 2011 for the shard Origins. There is a story in the January 2011 GLUORPC archives. His house near the Britain moongate was turned into the House of Lords and continues to function as a center for roleplay in Britain. His house in Whispering Winds was given to Duke Greenspan.

Duke Greenspan left the game about six months after that and passed on the Whispering Winds housing to me. It was then split up, with Governor Captain Riley placing a keep, Servious of the Crusaders of Virtue along with myself also have two Crusader houses there. Since none of the original housing or players were left, we reverted to calling ourselves Skara Brae and the area whispering winds.

As Tanda said, most of the Ankh moved to Origins. Unfortunately, shortly after the move something happened outside of game for Denin. My understanding from the one Ankh member I bumped into a year ago on Great Lakes was that after that, no one ever heard from him again. The guild folded up on Origins shortly after that. I sent him an icq myself a couple of years ago just to ask how things were going on Origins, never heard back.

Lady Messenger used to lurk around on these stratics forums and luna bank, but it has been some time since I've seen her.

Ronin Wanderer didn't stick around, at least by that name, any longer on Great Lakes after Denin's second extended break.

Lord Dunamis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the updates. The info is greatly apreciated. I will continue my quest for old friends. If anyone has further info, it is appreciated.

Lord Dunamis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Wow. I went to visit the GL shard and take a look through the old stomping grounds. The world seems very empty. Only saw a small handful of real people. The world was extremely laggy also. I am afraid I am ruining my memories with this quest.

Vivian Fellows

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Wow. I went to visit the GL shard and take a look through the old stomping grounds. The world seems very empty. Only saw a small handful of real people. The world was extremely laggy also. I am afraid I am ruining my memories with this quest.
The move to the "cloud" that was supposed to increase performance (to the bottom line) ended up creating lag for a lot of people that never experienced it before.

As for people, I'm not sure what you are really expecting in a seventeen year old game. Atlantic is as close as you are going to get to a server that has a population reminiscent of the days of yore. Great Lakes is probably far behind it in second place among north american shards, and then it gets even worse after that population wise on other shards. Origins, where Lore tried to move the Ankh, is one of the emptiest.

I am not sure where you were looking tonight on Great Lakes, but there were a ton of roleplayers on tonight in Yew late into the night.

Lord Dunamis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't know what I was expecting either. I care more about role play than about volume of people, but I looked around the Brittania, then took the moongate to Luna, and saw maybe 5 people over the course of 90 minutes. Maybe I'll try Yew tonight.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That chances of you stumbling into RP by just running around on either GL or Atl are so remote as to be dwarfed by lotto odds. There are no big "hotspots" like there used to be, no place that RPers hang out at in their free time. The only cities with people just standing around in them is Luna and Britain, specifically the West Britain Bank. As depressing as it sounds, don't waste your time by going to any other cities :(

Most of our time is scheduled in advance these days, and we have something nearly every weekday night. Check the Events Calendar at gl.uorpc.net and it will tell you what is going on. Yesterday was High Council, tonight (as with every Tuesday) is an EM Event at 8pm C, Wednesday has a boating event (you will need the High Seas booster), Thursday has Majestic Oaks Auction, Friday appears to be free, and Saturday has another EM Event at 8pm C. Sundays are usually free as well.

The best way to get ahold of the GL RPers is via our Ventrilo server.