• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Seasons

Hulton

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey there!
I dont play on official server for long time... (actually trial 3 months ago + today :D ).
I noticed that... actually I want to ask are there seasons in Ultima?
When I was playing 3 months ago it was summer (normal forests, long day etc.).
Today, 3 months later its the same.
I was talking to a player who said there were seasons like winter when forests were dead and areas around cities were covered with snow but he is not sure if this system is still on.
I accustomed myself to this while playing on unofficial shards.
So (finally) my question is...
Are there seasons in Ultima?!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most of the time, no, it always looks the same. Sometimes the developers turn on the snow during winter but last year they decided not to.

Hulton

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
By the way... I noticed that when its night, sky and environment doesnt turn dark (classic client)...
Why so? ;d
Im really sensitive about things like that...

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You must be wearing something with night sight. Yes, the CC does get a little darker at night. :)

The Napa shard had snow during this past winter. Not sure why other shards didn't??? New Magincia won't show snow (too tropical) but yes, there was snow.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You must be wearing something with night sight. Yes, the CC does get a little darker at night. :)

The Napa shard had snow during this past winter. Not sure why other shards didn't??? New Magincia won't show snow (too tropical) but yes, there was snow.
Weird, I didn't notice any snow on Atlantic, and there was a whole thread about it. https://stratics.com/community/threads/why-do-we-not-get-snow-this-year.329318/#post-2486379

Maybe they only turned it on for a day or two and a lot of people missed it due to holiday activities in real life or something.

Arcanis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I always liked the snow, it adds an extra sensory dimension to the game.
Maybe your supposed to have lag & get lost easier when it snows upon a changing landscape....

Snow makes it harder to move, And blankets everything.

look at it this way, maybe it should be there for more realism in the game..
Maybe you should have done your hunting and firewood collecting in the summer months.

Maybe running around in the cold is suppose to be slow and cumbersome.
Maybe during summer months you shoulda prepared for the upcoming winter.

Like carry a shovel on you in case your recall spot is blocked..and once a day you have to dig out your recall spots, so that wont happen..or cast a fire field and melt it....
or make a wearable that helps defend against it.. like idk say ...a ...frostguard tally..or snow boots??

Maybe snow or a whole( weather matrix system) can be added to make snow removable like farming sand on a beach, and/or decay away after a period of time..
Like during winter months,when at server up..a fresh heavy blanket covers the land and players just have to deal with it...over the course of the day it begins to melt away. Say december & jan its at its slowest decay rate..then as we get closer to spring, it melts faster.....etc

then we have a spring and the tress blossom..lumberjacking would give higher yields during this time per tree...etc....then a rainy season ..puddles of water everywhere....which spawns skeeters, and we have to fight them to stave off a plague or disease.

Instead of just annoying mongbats and vampire bats harassing you while your outdoors, Lets
get bit by Skeeters!..you wouldnt even need skeeters to have its own visible graphic either..they would just be there.

Cooks would have to make repellent that wears off ..and players would have to buy it and use it much like how savage kin paint is applied...and if you chose not to buy the repellent then you will hear annoying buzzing sounds on your travels and keep seeing this message in your chat boxes....

" You just been bitten by a skeeter and you seem to taste good, although you swatted and killed it, your position has been reported and soon you will be visited by thousands of friends!"

that message could spam every 30 to 60 seconds while your out moving around..betcha ya go buy a repellent..and be thankful for once that cooking skill does exist...
(cooking skill works regardless of lag btw)

and if you are one of those ppl who try to combat it by , playing with sound off or chat box closed..then after you get bit for say 100 times..your toon will stop whatever he is doing and preform a swat graphic every 10 seconds , like a salute..which would disturb whatever it is your doing.

Its time to rain in all these separate(sometimes selfish) demands and start tying stuff together for the greater good.
....ppl actually complained to get snow graphics removed...i say thats part of game design that needs to be adressed if its causing game issues....if it lags the whole server like in places where snow isnt, then thats an issue..
but if the lag is being experienced from say yew bank to yew moongate during normal movement..then too bad..its snow..its suppose to be a pain in the butt, to move in.

I assume it was causing shard wide lag why it was turned off?...was it always a problem before?
Hope it gets fixed.

An interactive environment should be a big part of the game, not only would it spice up the visual aspect of the game, but it would add an element of actual use if done right.

Entire storylines could be added based on seasonal changes.
Weather could affect your daily travels..etc

id love to see a hurricane batter a city....then we would have to rebuild it...

ppl complain about not having new content....and fighting the same ol same ol day in and day out.

How many monster spawns do you really need?...bah..we have enough of them. Do something different.

Lets get off this only fighting bosses for Drops mentality....sure keep that system ppl like it, it does work.
but they do get dull from sheer grindage, new bosses need to be added from time to time..i get it..but it doesnt have to be the ONLY way to do fighting....Maybe tie that into the seasonal thing..maybe during spring and summer is the height of the spawn drops..

Maybe for once fight to save your city get your drops there..on a seasonal system it would break up the grindage..just like how the halloween event distracts ppl. or ..like the plague invasions of Trinsic last year...we need more of that on a regular basis...where are the tornadoes, hurricanes, tidal waves, earthquakes....and where is my dam snow!

"Mrs. Gorbachev, Tear down these walls!"