• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

search engine sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Good Afternoon all.
A new rule has been passed down about UO search engine style sites. EA has deemed them an illegal third party programs. I have been told that the issue is with how they backward engineer the programs.

Stratics has a policy where illegal third party sites/programs cannot be linked to or discussed. I have removed a recent post discussing one of these new sites.

Since this is a new policy, no official warnings or disciplinary action will be taken reference that thread.

sorry for the interruption....
Carry ON!
TW

A

Aang

Since I am too lazy to dig into this (not that I don't believe you because I knew this was coming) can you link where they've made this ruling? Thanks!

G

I am a little confused as always and am trying to understand this. Has EA now taken it upon themselves to regulate where I surf on the net? One site lists what is available on many Luna vendors and makes shopping a whole lot easier for me anyways. While I understand this decision against scripters I don't understand the double standard. EA hasn't stopped them in game
so they are telling us we can't visit the sites because they say they are illegal 3rd party now? Or are they just saying the links can't be posted on Stratics?
We would need a list of sites to know what not to post or link to somewhere. I wouldn't want to be banned for being ignorant of who these sites are specifically.

BTW is it your Birthday? Happy Birthday!

G

Sorry Aang, the only place I have read it so far is on the staff forums. They were instructing us on how to handle this. Unfortunately I can't link to that page. But I am sure enquiries can be sent to [email protected]

Thank you Duncan...but you will have to explain to me how you found that out.

As far as EA is concerned....EA has strict policies about these types of sites, and Stratics has chosen to respect their wishes. You are also not allowed to link to script sites or macroing sites...etc.

Duncan...as far as what sites to link to....you can only link to approved third party sites...if in doubt...ask a mod before posting,...I know your posting style, you have no worries about getting banned...you would just get warned and asked not post that link again.

A

Aang

<blockquote><hr>

One site lists what is available on many Luna vendors and makes shopping a whole lot easier for me anyways. While I understand this decision against scripters I don't understand the double standard. EA hasn't stopped them in game

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, EA wants to make sure everyone is inconvenienced when trying to find that perfect piece of armor but doesn't want to ban that pesky script 'jacker that's always by my house. Makes PERFECT sense to me
Oh well, the sooner we all learn to suspend all logic when entering UO, the better off we will all be.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry Aang, the only place I have read it so far is on the staff forums. They were instructing us on how to handle this. Unfortunately I can't link to that page. But I am sure enquiries can be sent to [email protected]

Thank you Duncan...but you will have to explain to me how you found that out.

As far as EA is concerned....EA has strict policies about these types of sites, and Stratics has chosen to respect their wishes. You are also not allowed to link to script sites or macroing sites...etc.

Duncan...as far as what sites to link to....you can only link to approved third party sites...if in doubt...ask a mod before posting,...I know your posting style, you have no worries about getting banned...you would just get warned and asked not post that link again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if you have gone to one of these sites and by reading the content it would make you aware of it being a, how do I word this, a suspicious site? Still this has always been a problem for me with EA. They don't want us to use certain programs or sites but won't specifically tell us which they are that they don't want us to use. Doing so would tell everyone about them it is a double edge sword. Ignorance is bliss I suppose but it tends to confuse the heck out of me.
As to your Birthday there was a cake showing next to your name this morning. I wish I had something more intuitive for an explanation. It was just being observant that told me.

G

I think that thoses ites somehow or other "hack' the client and search the popular places for items. Then it dumps the info into a data base and posts it on the web.

I am sure EA would have nothing against a person posting a page about his vendors location and items sold on it. But those search engine sites, I tend to think have to hack the client somehow.

Z

Zinesterlc

I cannot speak for all of these illegal sites, but i have witnessed some of the info being gathered, and it was a script.

Dix

G

Where is the official EA announcement? Seems weird, well not really, that nobody from EA wants to comment on this on any of the threads. *shakes head* A USEFUL tool and not allowed, but they can allow scripters to continue. I'm losing hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.