• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Scrolling Pets up gets expensive.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got to looking at how many 120 scrolls I have used the last few weeks and if I had sold them all instead of burning them on pets I might not be so Gold Poor :)

47 Mage
28 Mystic
20 Spell Weaving
135 Tactics
140 Anatomy
168 Wrestle
92 Parry
63 Bushido
61 Chiv
24 healing
50 Meditation
73 focus

And I had to make more tamers so the 120s and raid on my pink books........
12 Taming
12 lore
12 vet
6 stealth
12 mythic tokens

72 5.0 Tame Pinks
72 5.0 Lore Pinks
70 5.0 Vet Pinks
28 5.0 Stealth Pinks

If the goal of this pub was to get me to clear out my Prodo Shard power scroll and SOT stashes IT WORKED I am down to 47 120 scrolls left in my white books and am empty of all the taming and stealth related pinks. Keep in mind these stashes have been building for a long long time and I rarely sell anything so they built up. Got to looking at what 120 Mage scrolls are worth and it occured to me in my pet build testing spree I used a small fortune worth of power scrolls. But I had fun doing it and some of those scrolls have been around since there were power scrolls. SO short of something like this they would have just kept collecting dust in a corner of the house.

So now I am wondering if a scrolled out fully trained pet would sell for the value of the scrolls in it? I have noticed the builds are coming down to one of two styles A heavy weight tank build and a mid weight general purpose build with magic, SW, Necro, or mystic. Or are the untrained unscrolled pets going to be what pet buyers want? I know It didn't take me long to start filling stables up even with 7 of my tamers having bumped up to 42 stable spaces. I went a little over board training pets up and testing different variations and combinations to find what I liked the best and still have a rather long list of things to tame and train up. But as I sit here looking at my PS books and their now not so large volume I am getting more stingy about putting scrolls on pets.

Anyway I know there are folks out there that make my scroll stash look tiny just wondering how many other have dropped hundreds of millions worth of scrolls into the new pets. And in the end do you feel like the investment was worth it? Personally I do as I have had more fun in the last two weeks than I have had in the last two years in UO. And at the end of the day that is what the main factor of playing this game should be IMO is the FUN. Even when I run out of scrolls I can see this system is one I am going to enjoy for a long time to come.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup. The scrolls have really gone up in price.

I have heard of people buying pets for crazy amounts.

Train up a Cu and leave the second session for the new owner to put on scrolls and abilities and take it to Atl and see if you can sell it. Colors matter.

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yup I only recently returned at the end of December so I didn't have a stash. Think my lesser hiryu alone cost roughly 150 mill for scrolls alone to train

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran out of mage scrolls so figured I would buy a couple............ I am too CHEAP :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup. The scrolls have really gone up in price.

I have heard of people buying pets for crazy amounts.

Train up a Cu and leave the second session for the new owner to put on scrolls and abilities and take it to Atl and see if you can sell it. Colors matter.
Yeah Colors do matter and Born With Stats are not so important now :) Since I pulled the ATL Origin Shield set on a pick I might make a selling trip and see if my collection sells there. Have a lot of very nice Hiryus with minor differences and a wide range of colors.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gave away a couple of my OK but not quite what I was hoping for Serpentine Dragons...... One person I gave one to asked how much it would cost to train that one....... around 115 MIL was what I came up with at current scroll prices!!!!

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, due to the expense of scrolls I haven't gotten into this system as much as I thought I would. I had one or two 120's laying around I used on two pets but after my first two pets are done I'll probably stop for quite a while while I go through the long and expensive process of getting the scrolls I need. Some of us aren't platinumeers you know!

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Scrolled out a Cu and a Runie, carefully planned beforehand and both rock.
I do level up various pets, had a Najasaur after reading the thread here, or a small Hellcat (turned out to be a real beast), currently working up a fun Lesser Hiryu with Discord.
But those are pastime.
I only got 2 main pets now and both are great. Haven't used my GD ever since the patch hit.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Makes me wish I had spent more time doing champs on all those dead shards I was on... but well we live and we learn.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, due to the expense of scrolls I haven't gotten into this system as much as I thought I would. I had one or two 120's laying around I used on two pets but after my first two pets are done I'll probably stop for quite a while while I go through the long and expensive process of getting the scrolls I need. Some of us aren't platinumeers you know!
Trust me I don't have any plats in the bank lol I am lucky to keep 10-20M on hand. It that farmer mentality that bleeds over into the game from my RL LOL Tractor, Truck and Land Rich and Cash Poor. Of course the game theme should be in general "UO the Game for Epic Hoarders!"

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Gave away a couple of my OK but not quite what I was hoping for Serpentine Dragons...... One person I gave one to asked how much it would cost to train that one....... around 115 MIL was what I came up with at current scroll prices!!!!
Could be closer to 200M.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Money is the lesser problem - availability is down the drain. Even on Atl, Wrestling 120 is hard to get.
If I had bought all of the scrolls I have burned through money would have been a huge problem LOL. You are right though the available pool of 110s-120s dried up Fast. Pretty much any scrolls that can go on a pet are on very short supply. I have thought often the last week that I should have sold all my scrolls at the new premium price and then bought them for half the price when the new wore off of this pub and there was a abundance again. Funny thing is a month ago a 120 wrestling scroll was pretty much worthless.

Last edited:

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Another funny fact is, most 120er Wrestling scrolls are still worthless in that they're wasted.
Relatively speaking, of course, what I mean is that in many cases, the way pets are scrolled/skilled is suboptimal; the pets work to some degree anyways.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another funny fact is, most 120er Wrestling scrolls are still worthless in that they're wasted.
Relatively speaking, of course, what I mean is that in many cases, the way pets are scrolled/skilled is suboptimal; the pets work to some degree anyways.
Well, will probably take 6 months for people to figure out optimal templates, and that's not counting any nerfs/balancing patches that are sure to come. Who has time for that? :D

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Dang sure is getting expensive and folks are not buying things to keep the influx into my bank account up lol.. So I had to figure out a more economical way to go about this whole deal.

Well, will probably take 6 months for people to figure out optimal templates, and that's not counting any nerfs/balancing patches that are sure to come. Who has time for that? :D
With what Railshot is saying... and me having way more time than cash.. I began trying out different pets.. different combinations.. and only taking them to GM skill.. if I like the way they perform then I scroll them to 110 or 115 and save enough points on the last upgrade to where I can scroll it to 120 once I determine that combination is what I am looking for. 110's are not highly expensive (yet) and gives you a great idea of what power the pet will punch once you scroll them to 120.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The funny thing is that you could hardly give a 120 Wrestling scroll away prior to this patch. I was having a hard time selling them for even 300K prior to the revamp.

It's been a good economic boom to those doing champ spawns. And despite that some folks think it's only possible on dead shards, I've done plenty on Atlantic without issue. It's been a nice little boost to see all the activity.

and that's not counting any nerfs/balancing patches that are sure to come.
^^^ This.

I've been slightly skeptical of burning all my 120 scrolls at the moment out of fear of an upcoming nerf that will negate what I've done. A lot of these pets are becoming super beasts and are probably going to be viewed as OP at some point or another. Cu's have become pretty much completely unkillable, if you do it right. My guess is that they will be the first pet targeted in the event of a nerf.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The funny thing is that you could hardly give a 120 Wrestling scroll away prior to this patch. I was having a hard time selling them for even 300K prior to the revamp.

It's been a good economic boom to those doing champ spawns. And despite that some folks think it's only possible on dead shards, I've done plenty on Atlantic without issue. It's been a nice little boost to see all the activity.

^^^ This.

I've been slightly skeptical of burning all my 120 scrolls at the moment out of fear of an upcoming nerf that will negate what I've done. A lot of these pets are becoming super beasts and are probably going to be viewed as OP at some point or another. Cu's have become pretty much completely unkillable, if you do it right. My guess is that they will be the first pet targeted in the event of a nerf.
Can't see much a nerf coming given the even cu is no more unkillable than a couple of the character templates if done right.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Can't see much a nerf coming given the even cu is no more unkillable than a couple of the character templates if done right.
Comparing character templates to pets is two entirely different areas. I don't see anyway that there won't be nerfs at some point down the road. It's tough to speculate if a certain pet would be targeted or maybe certain mechanics, but history shows after game-changing publishes that nerfs usually follow where necessary. Maybe I'm wrong, but time will tell. I expect there to be sufficient rage once there is one.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Comparing character templates to pets is two entirely different areas. I don't see anyway that there won't be nerfs at some point down the road. It's tough to speculate if a certain pet would be targeted or maybe certain mechanics, but history shows after game-changing publishes that nerfs usually follow where necessary. Maybe I'm wrong, but time will tell. I expect there to be sufficient rage once there is one.
Given how weak most taming templates are the Pets Template is more the Character template IMO The pet dies the tamer usually is not far behind. Doesn't matter to me whether is is close wounds, bandage spamming, chiv, healer sampire or a pet unkillable is unkillable :) This just bumps tamers up into a class a bit closer to other templates. Either way we will see where it goes in time.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This just bumps tamers up into a class a bit closer to other templates.
Fully agree. This publish revitalized the game and taming template, not just because of the variety of viable pets but because it made taming somewhat competitive with other PvM templates. Sampires are still better for most applications, which I can live with. They already nerfed the mana costs for no good reason. I hope Devs have the prudence to set the nerf bat down before they negate all the excitement this publish generated. No pet and no template at this point are overpowered compared to other PvM templates. Taming is more powerful then before and this is as it should be. No need to drag it back into mediocrity.

kazeandi

Adventurer
My Archer and my Mage still do more dmg and are less effort to play than my Tamer. A nerf just can't be justified, no matter how many 120s you shoved up your Cu's butt.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Archer and my Mage still do more dmg and are less effort to play than my Tamer. A nerf just can't be justified, no matter how many 120s you shoved up your Cu's butt.
I am struggling to create any scenario where the new pet system is over powered. I put various pets at Miasma and then my sampire at Miasma. The Sampire killed roughly 35% faster and took almost zero healing. Hiryus, CUs, Tsuki Wolf and Ossein Ram did good and required little healing Hiryus and Tsukis killed Miasma faster than the CUs and the Rams but still considerably slower than the sampire. Where the tamer might be over powered there is..... I have room on the template 120 tame lore vet 60 mage (Jeweled to 90) 100 hiding 100 stealth and hold on here comes the Power house skill that is a game breaker..... 100 Lock Picking!!! Now I have found the ultimate over powered pet for farming the Blue Beetle OMG you can not only kill bigger stuff with it but you can put 1500 stones worth of loot in it!!! And Ride it!!!

no this is one PUB they got right pretty much across the board that has really brought some life back into the game. They didn't mess up loot, no new lands that only a handful of people visit, no breaking existing templates, it didn't add to the PvP balance debate........ It did make the CU's useful for more than bank sitting on your rare color and stabling it and pulling the GD out to actually go do anything with. Now it did devalue GDs and to a lesser extent the more rare Dreadmares, It made a boom in the scroll economy and I did put a vendor up that sold out of the hundreds of Pet balls I collect farming Trans Powder and Bags of Sending. LOL I guess everyone needs a pet ball for every new pet :) And personally there have been 3 pubs/expansions that I have really liked and enjoyed Lord Blackthorns Revenge, High Seas, and Pub 97. But my game play is pretty basic, I Hunt Solen and farm powder and bags and collect ZOOGIES!!! I Hunt Dread Pirates and Merch ships for resources, orc ship parts, and turn in points. I try to get into fishing and have managed to keep my patience enough in that system to obtain three 120 fishing scrolls and that was all I could do and still maintain some level of sanity. And I tame stuff not because its over powered or the best, I just like taming and the pets in general. So when they make a pub that revamps the entire taming/pet system and makes literally every tamable useful (Some in general and others more for specific things) and don't break anything in the process I can't complain. More so since I hate Greater Dragons and Dragon Turtles, so when I can make a Hiryu, Cu, Beetle or other pet comparable to a GD That is a GOOD thing.

And you are right no matter how many scrolls you cram up any pets backside, they are not even close to the damage output and survivability of the most common Mage, archer and melee tank character templates. It just makes our tamers more diverse and doesn't force us to use the big clunky Greater dragons or those ugly dragon snails errrr turtles to be effective.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guess what it really comes down to Taming was more or less broke or atleast most of the pets were, in that they were worthless. They fixed that. Now it would be a huge mistake on Broadswords part to fix what is not broken. Unless the goal is to piss a whole lot of people off.

Was almost done training up a pet last night (Naja), and it just went wild for no apparent reason. Have never had it happen before and it was fed not too much earlier so I know it was fairly happy. Since Broadspire won't help when that happened, and all it's base stats dropped to around 40, far lower than what they were when he was initially tamed, i decided to postpone putting much effort into pets. Had I dropped a lot of scrolls on it, I'd be so bleeping hot right now. So, they need to fix that before I spend too much time on this. Fair warning I guess.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was almost done training up a pet last night (Naja), and it just went wild for no apparent reason. Have never had it happen before and it was fed not too much earlier so I know it was fairly happy. Since Broadspire won't help when that happened, and all it's base stats dropped to around 40, far lower than what they were when he was initially tamed, i decided to postpone putting much effort into pets. Had I dropped a lot of scrolls on it, I'd be so bleeping hot right now. So, they need to fix that before I spend too much time on this. Fair warning I guess.
Have not had that happen, only thing close is one of my lower taming/lore skill character that does not have 100% control sometimes makes one go wild by giving commands and the pet disagreeing enough that it goes wild. But never had a stat loss on the retame of it. Sounds like you found a rare glitch that will be hard to duplicate. If it were common the boards be lit up with complaints.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is kind of a silly one, but it had happen to me. Please make sure that your Taming and Lore are at the levels they should be, i.e. you did not stone lore for some reason and forgot to put it back, or that your jewelry with +20 taming is not sitting in your backpack.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Was almost done training up a pet last night (Naja), and it just went wild for no apparent reason.
Gotta watch the Naja's closely, those rascals are fickle. Even at 120 Tame/Lore I still have to feed mine a good bit in order to keep it happy.

This is kind of a silly one, but it had happen to me. Please make sure that your Taming and Lore are at the levels they should be, i.e. you did not stone lore for some reason and forgot to put it back, or that your jewelry with +20 taming is not sitting in your backpack.
Yeah, I'm 120/120 natural. It's just a Naja thing I guess. Since they appear to train up slower than most (at least mine did) I'm just a bit salty. Plus, the base stats dropped WAY below initial taming stats, which is definitely a bug. It's easier to toss this one and start over. It's mostly the bonding time that is aggravating as I was looking forward to enjoying this fella over the weekend. Well, that and Broadsword's IDGAF attitude, if I'm being honest. There are so many good games out there, you'd think they would be a bit appreciative of those who still like this one enough to stick around. Not a great strategy IMO.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good to know... I have noted that many of my pets as they approach 5 slots start getting irritable... Now I know a LOT of folk who play with NO SOUND... and I'll stress this... IT'S VERY Important to play with sound to know your pet is telling you to F off and when it does that 2x in a row you best be throwing in some grub before you try to command it again or it's likely to tell you to take a long walk off a short pier and be done with you if you fail again.

People who play without sound and I know there are a LOT of them.... are the ones more than likely to lose a pet. They will continue to command it over and over while it's telling them to bugger off. If you aren't continually loring your pet every command then you need to play with sound ON.