[Discussion] Scammers...Discuss

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jun 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Ok this is not a oh wtf thread. Just want to get that out of the way.

Also want to say that I do understand why we aren't allowed to publicly out scammers and its called a personal/troll attack. As obviously the scammers could use it aswell.

BUT here is what i dont understand.

When you have NUMEROUS respected stratics posters being scammed, and all say the same thing. Why is this not taken into account?

Its no longer a personal/troll attack when numerous respected stratics people are consensus saying the same thing.

Its not a rage post when there is evidence gathered by numerous people detailing a certain person scamming on more than one occassion.

Something needs to be done. Some way some how. Maybe a seperate website isnt the answer, and I dont think it is. But jesus alot of these scams could be stopped just by lockign a post that is replyed to as being scammed rather than deleting. I know it would have saved alot of us alot of gold.

The good people will come out on top even if some dummy posts scam on their post.

It would probobly encourage more people to give positive feedback as well.

/edit Just wanted to add if any of the Stratics Administrators would like to see how scams/bad business/goodbusiness reviews are handled excellently please see webhostingtalk.com

Anyone can post a review about service they recieve from different webhost companies(99% also members of the community) and then when you are looking to purchase u just search the company name, see the good and the bad. make your own conclusion or post a new one asking for reviews of recent service.

Works excellently and the GOOD always come out on top

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
What if I claimed you were a scammer? For any reason you could imagine. Maybe I picked you at random. If it were allowed, I could.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jun 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
yes yes you could. but I have a couple extremely reputable peopel that i could have come vouch for me.

Thats all im saying yes some dummy's could do that but the Good would eventually come out.

edited to add that the dummys doing it would become obvious after awhile as well

D

DVI

It seems to be that since we're barred from pointing people out as scammers we should instead focus on rewarding those people who are reliable by making our smooth trading experience with them known.

Something similar to the reliable trader list in the Holiday section. Perhaps even a rating system. Say for every person or 5 people or 10 (those known in that particular community) that provide a post or something stating they had a positive experience you get a gold star

T

Tinsil

It seems to be that since we're barred from pointing people out as scammers we should instead focus on rewarding those people who are reliable by making our smooth trading experience with them known.

Something similar to the reliable trader list in the Holiday section. Perhaps even a rating system. Say for every person or 5 people or 10 (those known in that particular community) that provide a post or something stating they had a positive experience you get a gold star
Or like most forums we could just have a feedback forum.. each person could link their feedback thread in posts they're trading for. Would certainly help.

Then again, I don't think there's much scamming going on here.. Accounts are a risky thing to sell if that's what you're referring to OP. Not an easy way to get around that.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jun 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO

the problem with that is the scammer can easily create multiple usernames and + himself over a period of time.

And a true scammer will do just that. They will dedicate themselves to screwing other people, much more than someone in a passerby trade would dedicate themselves to +'ing a good trade with a random.

The only people who would regularly + someone would be people well known around the trading halls, Nabin, DVI, supsoc, etc...people who it is uber important to.

If bad review are allowed as well, a passerby is more likely to give a + because it very well could be him next time. again see webhostingtalk.com for evidence.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jun 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Or like most forums we could just have a feedback forum.. each person could link their feedback thread in posts they're trading for. Would certainly help.

Then again, I don't think there's much scamming going on here.. Accounts are a risky thing to sell if that's what you're referring to OP. Not an easy way to get around that.
Well yes thats what im referring to, its pretty much the only trade that happens that game mechanics cant take care of some how.

Also i like the feedback forum. vbulletin.com or .org has something like that and it works well

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 23, 2009

Agreed. Sort of like an Ebay type thing.. You have a reputation based on sales and buys. Having a decent post count and gold star reputation you can be assured that the buyer or seller isn't trying to scam.

Thanks OP for bringing this up, I will vouche for any way to get this implemented.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 5, 2001
I'll give this subject some thought, and maybe exchange a word or two with our new GM. There is is a 'reputation' option in vboards, I'm not sure who made the decision not to use it or why, I'd have to find that out and take that into account.

Meantime, while you can't call someone a scammer, you can suggest that a trade be conducted through a broker. Reputable traders will have no problem accepting this option I think.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 3, 2008
You could have a system like ebay and the old auction site that people on europa still use, wereas you can click on someones name and see how many ticks or crosses someone has been given and by who. Also with a 10 word box were you can put like "A+++ fast reliable trade, thank you"

Thunderz

S

Suzzy

You may also try spreading the word on a scammer outside of Stratics. Stratics is the most popular UO board, but it isn't the only one out there.

D

DVI

petra are you refering to the system that uoforums uses where you can see how many times a player has been "thanked"?

I dont know if that can be edited to display different options but they use vboards as well so im assuming that its the same thing

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 19, 2003
Catskills
petra are you refering to the system that uoforums uses where you can see how many times a player has been "thanked"?

I dont know if that can be edited to display different options but they use vboards as well so im assuming that its the same thing
Most V-Bulletin boards I've used over the years has a reputation system that shows points under a user's avatar, over near their post count. If you find a post helpful/funny/insightful/etc. you can add positive points to that posters reputation. Also if you find a post distasteful/incorrect/off topic/etc. you can add negative points to that posters rep. With my experience, this system (assuming stratics has the same one as I've seen elsewhere in the past) weights the amount of points you give each time based on your reputation. So lets say you have 1000 points, you can only affect a persons "score" by 10 points in any direction, where a person with 500 can only affect it by 5 points.

It's not the best solution for this situation (if it's even do-able), but certainly better than nothing. Only drawbacks are 1) other posters usually can't see comments left by someone who has added/removed to another posters rep. 2) the system becomes easy to abuse. You could simply neg someone's rep because you don't like their guild and essentially ruin their creditability for no reason.

If its possible, the best bet would be to have it only use able in the trade forums. Its in shard forums and Uhall where problems could start to crop up.