• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

SCAM ALERT - FREE UO WEBSITES can be costly.. be aware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got a PRIVATE MESSAGE telling me to join a FREE UO WEB SITE.

THESE FREE UO WEB SITES are often run by hackers.
They are NOT operated and run BY UO.

The owners of the so called FREE UO WEB SITES are trolling for players hoping the player will be nieve enough to register on their FREE SITE using their real UO NAME AND PASSWORD - because the scam operators have found out that players take the easiest route and PLAYERS WILL USE THEIR ID FROM THEIR REAL UO GAME because it's the easiest way to remember ID names and passwords.

The ADMINISTRATORS OF THE NEW FREE UO WEB SITES ACCESS AND USE THAT PRIVILEGED INFORMATION TO GAIN ACCESS TO YOUR REAL UO ACCOUNT AND STEAL EVERYTHING YOU OWN.

Never Register using your UO Name and PASSWORDS when registering on unknown so-called FREE UO or any other Web sites.
KEEP ALL THE MULTITUDES OF ID NAMES AND PASSWORDS in a book where you can find them to remember them. It's a pain but protects your security.
FIRE WALLS & ANTI VIRUS CHECKERS can not protect you from this TYPE OF SCAM.

-edited in info in the title.
Thanks Jade for screaming in the forum - it caught my eye and I got what I could done.

- edited the title again to remove name. There is no proof this one is a scam but it could have been.
Thanks.

G

Everyone AVOID any PM that starts with the title "Roleplayer?" that is from Vash-ofUO

He will no longer be sending out PMs, but I don't know how many were sent already.

I

imported_Deimos

Damn, the things people will try
Good job Jade and CJ

G

Vash has been showing pictures of his private shard in the Pictures forum for months and months. Usually he sends private messages to people who are curious about it.

Not sure what he is thinking to go out to people who've not shown any interest.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's another freesite called uogateway and heaven knows how many more. Some may be authentic and honest -- but others ARE NOT. Best to avoid them if you don't know the operators and trust those operators. Best not to register using UO Passwords and names. Register using a NEW NAME and PASSWORD to be safe if you are determined to try a free UO website.

Recently many Players have been robbed of everything they own in their UO accounts by registering in a so-called free UO Website using their UO ID.

I don't know Vash so in view of the hearing so much about recent hackings by administrators of free UO websites, Vash's private message could mean only one thing to me. I wouldn't trust anyone who has to send PRIVATE MESSAGES soliciting me to join their FREE WEBSITE. I have been quickly learning about nieve friends and receiving reports about other players being hacked by registering on other free UO websites using their UO ID, I can't name names without proof so I must AVOID POINTING FINGERS AT ANYONE SPECIFICALLY ON THESE FORUMS. UO Administration needs confirmation and proof and UO CAN TAKE ACTION IF VICTIMS OF THESE SCAMS LAY CHARGES with the POLICE first. Most players avoid going to the police feeling it's a hopeless waste of time. It isn't a waste of time. IF players make the effort then the POLICE and UO will MAKE AN EFFORT to STOP this from happening to others and will try salvage losses for the players who fell into the trap.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Crazy Joe.

It's time for everyone to get the famous UO GRAPEVINE going by warning others about this latest scam via word of mouth, icq/instant messaging/irc ect.

G

<blockquote><hr>

There's another freesite called uogateway and heaven knows how many more. Some may be authentic and honest -- but others ARE NOT.

<hr></blockquote>

The Gateway one isn't one that hacks you.

R

Rizem

this isn't a latest scam, it's been around for years, freeshards have always been used to get people's info and emails and PM's and ICQ's sent to set it up. Anyone who follows the most basic of online security won't fall for it.

Also to say this can only mean one thing is spreading lies. There are a number of legitimate freeshards, they are illegal by OSI rules and playing them can in theory put your account at risk, but to say they're probably all out to steel your password is rubbish.

Less hype more info is good, less caps too.

G

Interesting the newest member shown when I logged in was "Vash-wtf" lol
Could there be a connection ? naw couldn't be. lol

L

Lemia

Still Vash shouldn't be using stratics to spam people to join his/her private shard. A) SPAM is bad B) While it's okay to post pictures of a private shard, you aren't supposed to advertise it.

D

DarkChronus

Regardless of this being a "scam" or not, Stratics isnt the place to advertise free UO shards. It's against the UO ToS and as a Stratics employee I guess I should point that out to everyone. (even if I'm not a UO Stratics employee)

And Jade... ya kinda seem like the boy that cried wolf... seems like you stirred up a lot of commotion.

*shrugs*

EDIT::: And there are a lot of free uo shards out there that are not out to steal your username and password. They're out there to provide an alternative to a game many people love very much.

C

Chinalilly

<blockquote><hr>

I just got a PRIVATE MESSAGE telling me to join a FREE UO WEB SITE.

<hr></blockquote>

People start up fan sites all the time. Why are you crying wolf about this particular one?

<blockquote><hr>

THESE FREE UO WEB SITES are often run by hackers.
They are NOT operated and run BY UO.

<hr></blockquote>

Fan sites aren't operated by UO. They are created by playes who have a love for UO and want to contribute to the community. IE: IanStorm, GUL, UO Treasures, Powergamers, RPG Tradespot, Markee Dragon, are a few that come to mind. Plus there is another site recently starting up. The player has been posting here, seeking people to beta test his forums for him.

So based on what you are saying, that would make them all hackers?/php-bin/shared/images/icons/crazy.gif

I think you are blindly accusing here.

<blockquote><hr>

The owners of the so called FREE UO WEB SITES are trolling for players hoping the player will be nieve enough to register on their FREE SITE using their real UO NAME AND PASSWORD

<hr></blockquote>

What proof do you have of this? The guy has been posting on these boards for many months. Like I said. He could be legit and simply trying to set up a fan site like he's seen others do, and the purpose of his PM's were to let people know of the site.

<blockquote><hr>

Never Register using your UO Name and PASSWORDS when registering on unknown so-called FREE UO or any other Web sites.
KEEP ALL THE MULTITUDES OF ID NAMES AND PASSWORDS in a book where you can find them to remember them. It's a pain but protects your security.
FIRE WALLS &amp; ANTI VIRUS CHECKERS can not protect you from this TYPE OF SCAM.

<hr></blockquote>

That is sound advice for anyone to follow.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did not name names in my original post. Crazy Joe changed the Post Title and posted the fellow's name. I have set it back to the original Title.

I didn't say uogateway was a site that hacked players. I don't name names. This post is for general knowledge for everyone.

.. but I do know that the scammers will do everything to make you believe they are honest websites and point fingers elsewhere leading players to believe they are not the ones doing it.

This is not a false alarm.
It is happening again right now.
That's why I am posting this refresher.

This is a heads up and information for players WHO DON'T KNOW and WHO TRUST TOO MUCH and to let everyone know that it is happening again right now to players. The fact that it is happening and has been happening for years doesn't mean nieve and inexperienced players know enough to avoid these experienced hackers.

D

DarkChronus

Is this Vash fellow advertising a free server or a free fansite type thing?

You kept mentioning a site... but thats nothing to create an alarm over.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crazy Joe reposted the TITLE using the player's name to warn other players about replying to Private Messages from that player since it is impossible for them to retract all messages sent to PMs soliciting members for a website.

I did not post the name of who sent me the PM in my original post because I have no way of knowing who he is or why he sent me a PM soliciting my registration for his free UOweb site. I only know I don't trust anyone who solicites new members for a Free UO Website unless I really know them well. I don't know Vash.

Considering the rash of recent account hacking by such FREE so-called UO websites, this warning was meant to be HEAD's UP for everyone. I avoid pointing fingers at anyone. It's enough to let everyone know that the SCAM EXISTS.

L

Lexi

It -was- advertising a free UO Shard.

However, I saw nothing that might make him a hacker, other than the fact he probably should have picked a different forwarding site than .tk (Which folks, IS a legit webhosting company, and isnt out to hack everyone like the false alarm was raised a few weeks ago said).

Now, if you bring me proof that people were hacked by this guy, then we'll talk, but you crying wolf just says your opinion.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crazy Joe help! It's amazing how good intentions backfire. Your changing my post title and Naming who sent me the PM was only meant to stop players who received the same PM from replying to it. You Named him in my post since you couldn't remove the posts he sent in private messages.

I was avoiding naming names as you know, because there is no proof he is a culprit but was suspicious of him as I would be of anyone soliciting membership from me by sending me a private message. I had no cause except suspicion so for that reason I did not name him in my original post.

G

Yes Crazy Joe, please post some of these malicious messages Vash was PMing people. I would be very interested in reading some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.