• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sauerkraut for Kolka

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my Honeybees for fun thread, Kolka had concerns that having so much honey around could lead to diabetes. I briefly mentioned that fermented sauerkraut should be eaten in such a case of concern and that I would make a post shortly.

It just so happens I make fermented sauerkraut too. Moreover, I just finished a 3 gallon batch last week. We moved the honey off of the table so you can see it here:

The crock I made it in is in the background. It's an Ohio Stoneware Fermentation Crock. They are pretty much idiot-proof, although you don't need something that fancy to make sauerkraut. You can make it in a regular crock or even right in a mason jar. I think crocks are more fun though. I should mention that buying sauerkraut in a store is not fermented sauerkraut. Not the same thing at all. No fermentation, just vinegar.

Anyway, this batch of kraut is pretty vanilla -no, there is no vanilla in sauerkraut, what I mean is there are no fancy/odd flavors in this batch. I just used some caraway seeds. Let it ferment for 5 weeks in the corner of the kitchen and wa-la! Sauerkraut. Very good when eaten with sausages or grilled cheese sandwiches, heck anything really!

Fermented sauerkraut, for some reason, is very good for the pancreas, which controls insulin production in your body. Sauerkraut is particularly effective in combating type-2 diabetes -which is the type of diabetes Kolka would get if he ate 110 pounds of honey from a beehive.

Last edited:

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I grew up eating sauerkraut. Although I never new about the health benefits of it. Thanks much!

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think, living in Wisconsin, you were no stranger to sauerkraut. Lots of Germans in Wisconsin. Lots of Germans in Texas too. We are making another batch right now. The batch in the pic above is for Christmas presents to the family. Everyone gets a jar of sauerkraut, a jar of honey, and a jar of home made peanut butter. We make the peanut butter with peanuts and a vitamix. It's pretty much the best Christmas present a person could get.