• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampires outdated ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With MoBs increasingly having the "anti-sampire" aura, I was wondering whether a Sampire is still a valid PvM character or whether it is getting outdated by the changes to MoBs. If so, what template will be taking its place ? The Mystic/Thrower ??

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had and used a sampire alot but its no longer the big boy on the block! still very strong but it comes in second place perhaps even third now days:gun:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It terms of PVM imo the top melee character is still the Sampire. Because when prepared for, you can still take down the 'Anti-Sampire' creatures. Just take off Vampiric Embrace and add in other forms of healing.

The top damaging template is, and has been, even before Sampires became the fashion, the Gargoyle Thrower. You can do either the ABC or Wraith variant.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It terms of PVM imo the top melee character is still the Sampire. Because when prepared for, you can still take down the 'Anti-Sampire' creatures. Just take off Vampiric Embrace and add in other forms of healing.

The top damaging template is, and has been, even before Sampires became the fashion, the Gargoyle Thrower. You can do either the ABC or Wraith variant.
Yeap or a few odd variations of the standard dexxer in wraith form but those can have some healing issues. I would say throwers still end up out damaing them though. The sampire is still the tank to have though as it can stand in there. If your looking at damage though it pretty much has to be the whammy.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

idk, I kind of like lord gods build run Vampire form and use curse weapon, more mobility then wraith form for fights such as slasher.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
idk, I kind of like lord gods build run Vampire form and use curse weapon, more mobility then wraith form for fights such as slasher.
For that particular fight, maybe, but overall the wraith version does more damage in general. I haven't done slasher in a while.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Need to test that out but I don't see how that would help you at all my understanding is HLL is capped at 100%. Vampire form gives you 100% HLL. At least that is what I have always seen. I will take a look at it later tonight maybe.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For that particular fight, maybe, but overall the wraith version does more damage in general. I haven't done slasher in a while.
basically instead of healing or magic resist ... I am using spirit speak so I have the option to go to wraith form in fights like Medusa, but other fights that I do not want to 'tank' I can just kite around in vampire form doing the exact same damage, although I run out of mana like that from time to time ;c.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Need to test that out but I don't see how that would help you at all my understanding is HLL is capped at 100%. Vampire form gives you 100% HLL. At least that is what I have always seen. I will take a look at it later tonight maybe.
Throwing suffers from life leech penetiles w/ vampire form like archers do, but if you use cure weapon with spirit speak all is well.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Throwing suffers from life leech penetiles w/ vampire form like archers do, but if you use cure weapon with spirit speak all is well.
Ahh in that case that does make sense with the math. I must have missed the build in the first place thought it was like what some people in my vent say where they think hitting curse weapon with 0 SS in vampire form will help them. (They are using axes too for the record).

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Also in vampire form I cut all the dci out my set to go for max stats, when I go wraith form i swap in dci peaces.... Works really well ? ( ehm, max stats with out having to use any pots )

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also in vampire form I cut all the dci out my set to go for max stats, when I go wraith form i swap in dci peaces.... Works really well ? ( ehm, max stats with out having to use any pots )
I actually had a suit specifical designed to have a form swapping temp. The only problem was it was a bit intensive when my group really needed a tank. I am hoping to bring it back to use some day to be honest but at this point it might make sense to really just go with a whammy instead.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The only reason I opted to go the route I did was for Slasher, its the only way I can be at max range every time he does his rocks which generally allows me to survive.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only reason I opted to go the route I did was for Slasher, its the only way I can be at max range every time he does his rocks which generally allows me to survive.
Thats not a bad stragety. I am not a big fan of the slasher but I might try it that way once or twice to see if I enjoy it more.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I know Curse Weapon gives vastly more life leech than vamp form by itself.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know Curse Weapon gives vastly more life leech than vamp form by itself.
No it doesn't Vampire form gives 100%. Curse Weapon gives less and scales based on your SS skill.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No it doesn't Vampire form gives 100%. Curse Weapon gives less and scales based on your SS skill.
I'm pretty sure Curse Weapon gives back 50% damage as health and Vamp form gives back 20%. The duration scales based on SS.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Vampire form gives back 20% damage 100% of time.
X life leach gives back 0-30% damage X% of time.
so vamp is better than 100% HLL.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I have tried Slasher with my macer. I have no problem to tank it... but die every time it stuns me. I'm going to replace Resisting Spells with healing and try again.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is a good idea. Guys Vamp form is going to give back far more life but we can always test it in TC if you want.
More life than what, curse weapon? I cast them both every day, I don't need to test anything.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
More life than what, curse weapon? I cast them both every day, I don't need to test anything.
If thats what you think then thats fine, but sadly these things shouldn't be stacking. In responce to what was said above if your not running SS and your casting curse weapon all your doing is draining karma. But mathmatically vamp form is going to give you more life. Simply hiting curse weapon isn't going to make any difference to that.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If thats what you think then thats fine, but sadly these things shouldn't be stacking. In responce to what was said above if your not running SS and your casting curse weapon all your doing is draining karma. But mathmatically vamp form is going to give you more life. Simply hiting curse weapon isn't going to make any difference to that.
Don't forget JOAT. Can you list what you think the formula is and how you propose it be tested?

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't forget JOAT. Can you list what you think the formula is and how you propose it be tested?
Well according to UO guide the benifit of using vampire form is this
A powerful form that grants many strengths, but prevents the Necromancer from using Garlic-based spells and potions. No duration. Casting this spell again or casting another transformation spell dispels it. While under the influence of this spell, the caster receives:
  • 20% life drain
  • -25% fire resist
  • +25% damage from undead slayer weapons
  • Damage from garlic (17-23 points of damage is dealt when Vampires cast spells that consume the garlic reagent, even if the spell is cast using a reagent-free method such as from a scroll)
  • Resistance to most poisons (a similar effect to Orange Petals), but an inability to use cure potions
While Curse weapon is this

Duration Caster's Spirit Speak x 10 / 34 + 1 in seconds
Area of Effect Equipped weapon
Description Briefly enchant your weapon to gain the power of life drain. While enchanted, the weapon will heal its wielder with 50% of the damage it deals out.
But I no longer think any of that is accurate. The reason that I said that is two fold one I don't think that takes into account leeching but it should be a pretty easy thing for us to test. Hit the same monster with the same weapon in vampire form and then out of form just using curse weapon and we can see based on damage how much is healed (if its healed at all) with each hit.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Vampire form.... Run SS use Curse weapon stay max range of slasher at all times... don't try to get 3 or 4 or 5 hits in on him in a row... Just one hit move max range... one hit move max range... when he rock falls 75% of the time you will survive if you are max range because he finishes before he can get enough dmg in on ya... Oh yeah I dont use any DCI Having max stats and not being dependent on pots is a must....

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i just use Lords gods Mystic dexxer temp , i can stand toe to toe with slasher and not die no matter what he throws at me, i changed the Diamond mace to War Axe i hit him for about 130.

LlamaOnDrugs

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vampire form gives back 20% damage 100% of time.
X life leach gives back 0-30% damage X% of time.
so vamp is better than 100% HLL.
Not true.

Hit life leech ALWAYS procs, the percentage chance just changes how much it leeches, using the formula.

Life Leeches = (Damage Dealt)*(life leech as decimal)*0.4

Eg. Dealing 50 damage with a 40% HLL weapon means you will leech between 0 and (50*0.4*0.4). Between 0 and 8 life.

Those times where you think it doesn't proc, are just when it hits a low number (0 or 1 or something) so you don't notice.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Hit life leech ALWAYS procs, the percentage chance just changes how much it leeches, using the formula.
Where you got this info?

I haven't used HLL less than 100% but as to HML (that I believe work the same way) it's not true.

It's easy to check. Equip a Soul Glaive with 10% HLL. Find a monster you can do 200+ damage per hit.
Max life leached should be 200 * 0.3 = 60+. And not 200 * 0.4 * 0.1 = 8.

C

Connor_Graham

Sampires were around well before Gargoyles were even part of the game. At least two years prior, maybe more, iirc.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, I am aware of that. But, while there were a few people running them- it was no where like it is now. And unless my memory is deceiving me, it was after SA (implementation of imbuing) when the sampire boom happened.

C

Connor_Graham

Yes, I am aware of that. But, while there were a few people running them- it was no where like it is now. And unless my memory is deceiving me, it was after SA (implementation of imbuing) when the sampire boom happened.
Nope, it was well before. Sampires became big about a year after the elves were introduced and it became widely known that peerless could be solo'd by them.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Hmm?

Sampires were popular well before SA was even released. If anyone ever played Great Lakes, you may remember the guild B*R. We were full of Proxy dragon sampires well before there were any real details about SA.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a sampire about a month after mondain's legacy came out... I knew about them, I guess I just didn't realize how popular they were. I only ever ran into one other on Atlantic during that time.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Nope, it was well before. Sampires became big about a year after the elves were introduced and it became widely known that peerless could be solo'd by them.
It really annoys me that somehow a mediocre player such as yourself managed to get credit for the standard sampire template. You and I both know you did not invent it and just copied what everyone else was doing. Just because you posted 300 times a day doesn't mean you should get credit for it and if I was more motivated I'd start working on having your name removed from the sampire page. Because unlike Lynk who actually developed a template, you did nothing but post someone else's idea.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think I can really claim any development rights to a template. Most of the information I used to develop my sampires and templates were based off of some of Connor's posts. The original sampire was some guy from a japanese shard. It all started with a curse weapon dexer and someone then transitioned to vampiric embrace.

Connor gets credit in my stratics document because he was the only other one offering consistent advice to others when I wrote it.

I don't think you'd find him arguing that he was the first sampire.

Driven Insane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I give you credit for being honest Lynk, but the entire situation irritates me and the fact that you say it was because Connor was running his mouth on the forums all day he's entitled to be listed on the Sampire page? So because someone had nothing better to do with their time than post 300 times a day, they are given credit for a template design?

See this is my problem with this situation. On most of the other skill pages, no names are mentioned and with the way it was written it implies that Connor was some Sampire expert when clearly he was nothing more than a skilless hack who took credit for other people's ideas.

If someone new to this situation was to read the following passages from the Sampire page on Stratics, what idea do you think they're going to get about who was a Sampire expert?

"There are two different schools of thought on this after the publish that was an attempt to nerf sampires. I call them the ‘Connor’ and ‘Lynk’ schools of thought."

"The Connor Graham Method – Connor’s method is a little more diverse. He sets up his template to use Tactics, but his last skill (that isn’t mentioned above) ranges between Anatomy, Resist, or Spirit Speak depending on what he fights. It’s a great style and requires the use of soul stones but it really does make a difference."

Status
Not open for further replies.