• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire/Warrior

Z

ZepHead205

My friends and I just came back to UO from a 5yr absence. One of them got his account back, but all the toons were gone so he purchased a Mythic Character Token which allows 5 skills to be set at 90 & stats to 225.

My question being he wants a warrior character, but we were not playing at the time Sampires became popular. Are they still the best PvM warrior type characters or are there better options these days?

I also need to know what race will be best and what template to use please.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sampires are still great fun to play but I think the gargoyle throwers are more harder hitting. I'm not sure as I don't have on myself. Only a sampire.

You want to be Elf for the extra mana and the ability to wear woodland armor.

120 weapon skill
120 bushido
120 tactics
99 necro
85 chiv
anatomy / resist spells

Something along those lines.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I trained both types of characters. While my sampire's suit was somewhat expensive, after all it was somewhat easy to achieve the basics (full resists, LMC, etc.) and maintain full swing speed (fencing). The sampire was quickly ready to go. The gargoyle thrower on the other hand is very annoying to outfit as the prime weapon soul glaive is somewhat slow. I find it particularly hard to achieve an acceptable level of swing speed. Example: I still haven't found a warden's wings of augmentation to buy, which could add some direly needed Swing Speed Increase as that item no longer spawns. Some might argue that you don't need full speed for a thrower, but I think we would agree: The faster, the better.

Sampires might be easier to use standing toe-to-toe against some foes like Miasma (which moves pretty fast) and might be easier usable against larger number of enemies, like champion spawns. A sampire usually is able to use Whirlwind or Momentum Strike or both for a good area damage.

With a thrower you will often find yourself constantly be moving instead. The thrower will have an easier time with Navrey Night Eyes, The Slasher Of Veils and The Stygian Dragon. A thrower, afaik, might even be useable in PvP situations; the Sampire is said to be at a huge disadvantage there.

I have seen several very interesting thrower templates:
  • "Basic", including healing.
  • "The Spawner", including swordsmanship for Whirlwind action.
  • "The Mystic", including Mysticism and Focus skills.

Disclaimer: If I am mistaken in parts, please let me know so I can learn and maybe edit my posting, thanks.

Last edited:
Z

ZepHead205

Sampires are still great fun to play but I think the gargoyle throwers are more harder hitting. I'm not sure as I don't have on myself. Only a sampire.

You want to be Elf for the extra mana and the ability to wear woodland armor.

120 weapon skill
120 bushido
120 tactics
99 necro
85 chiv
anatomy / resist spells

Something along those lines.
Thanks guys this was just the feedback I was looking for!

So using his five 90 skills token which should he raise? I guess I'm asking which will be easier to train therefore he shouldn't use the token for "said" skill.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So using his five 90 skills token which should he raise? I guess I'm asking which will be easier to train therefore he shouldn't use the token for "said" skill.
I am not sure if you want a sampire or a thrower. If you want a thrower, then I'd recommend not using it for throwing. Throwing was a very easy skill for me.

Z

ZepHead205

I am not sure if you want a sampire or a thrower. If you want a thrower, then I'd recommend not using it for throwing. Throwing was a very easy skill for me.
From the above info you posted he'll be better suited for a Sampire. So which 5 skills should he start at 90? Also what is the ideal stat setup he'll need? His starting stat is 225.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would use the five skills listed above (weapon, tactics, bushido, necro, chiv). You'll then need to decide if you are going to have parrying, healing, or some other skill. If you're doing this without soulstones, I would get those 5 to 90 with the token, get a lot of int, set meditation and focus to raise, and then work your necromancy to 99. You can then set med and focus to drop and start raising your combat and complimentary skills. You may find hunting in Shame will be worthwhile for raising skills. Have at least one of you start a character with imbuing. Frequently go to a soulforge and unravel any loot that isn't usable. You should raise your imbuing skill to 100+ this way and will be collecting materials for later usage.

Alternately, purchase your white scrolls however you like and go hit a golem until 120 weapon skill.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not messed with imbuing gains by unravelling. If I unravel a bag of 50 items, is that 50 gain opportunities or 1? Is it done on a per item basis?

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've not messed with imbuing gains by unravelling. If I unravel a bag of 50 items, is that 50 gain opportunities or 1? Is it done on a per item basis?
I can't answer knowledgeably. In the past when I've unraveled 50 items at once I have received multiple skill gains. I believe you should have a chance to gain skill of each individual item in the batch. I don't think I've gained more than .5 total from a batch unravel. I've never tried in conjunction with an alacrity scroll either though.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it's done on a per item basis.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow.. and to think of all the loot I've just wasted. I guess I'm going to start some imbuers on these shards where I have sampires.