• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire Build Choices (stoned skills)

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've got several skills stoned, and I'm returning after a two year break. If you don't mind, chime in and give me a clue what I should do with my build.

Skills to choose from:
120 Archery
120 Anatomy
120 Bushido
120 Tactics
120 Swords
120 Parry
100 Spirit Speak
99 Necromancy
75 Chivalry

Now, I can drop some points in one or another skill to fit into a template, and I can train up a skill that isn't listed, like healing if necessary.

I'm just curious with all of those skills that I currently have stoned, which one would make for the best template. I dream of soloing the following:
Grizzle
Medusa
Paroxy
Travesty (though I can do her with my disco tamer pretty quick)
Lady Mel
Insert other monster here......

I also am trying to build the suit, I have an imbuer, legendary smith/carp/tailor, runic tools and figured I'd build the suit around my primer tali and mace and shield glasses.

Now for your input... please!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
For a general build, I would go:

120 Swords
120 Bushido
120 Tactics
117 Anatomy
99 Necromancy
84 Chivalry
60 Parry

84 Chiv gets you 50% DI from EOO. 60 Parry still let's you parry 20% of the time for a 1H weapon (down from 35% with 120 Parry & 120 Bush). That difference with parry is minor with 120 weapon skill and 45 DCI. If you put some skill on a jewel you can keep your 120 Anatomy.

For suit, I would indeed use your M&S Glasses and a pair of Fey Legs for the 20 DCI and 6 HPI. Imbue the rest. Look at 5 HCI pieces with Heartwood, though they can get expensive if you try to enhance post imbue.

Have fun and welcome back! Oh and don't forget to focus on your weapon. That is just as if not more important than pushing your suit to the edge.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with Obsidan for pvm the sampire is the way to go. That being said Grizzle is not a monster that I would want to go after on a dexxer due to his armor killing acid. For that I would prefer an ABC archer or even better a gargoyle mystic thrower for him. I would also say those two temps are more pve then the sampire and can both be run in areas where pvp is likely.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Obsidian has a nice template worked out for you. I recommend a tamer for Grizzle. I can solo it with my disco tamer. I've never seen a warrior solo Lady Mel, but maybe it can be done.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A sampire can solo mel without to much trouble. The big issue is making sure you get one satyr down at a time.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What would be helpful is if someone would explain 'how' to play the sampire with their template.

IE - Use Vamb embrace, use 1 handed or 2 handed weapon? Heal with SS? Chiv? Pots? Confidence?

What sort of leeches on weapon? Armor stats?

How often to use evade or lightning strike?

Etc.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok Theo here we go. The biggest key is to be in vampire form. I cannot stress this enough. I know that seems way to simple but always remember to check because sometimes you forget to cast it. Then I recommend hit mana leech and hit stamina leech on your weapons. I would say make sure to get at least 40. There is no single perfect weapon or style past that. I recommend having a weapon that has armor ignore and another that has whirlwind. Getting as close to the swing cap is critical. There are a few ways you can do this but its normally through its normally a combination of stamina and swing speed increase. Some prefer two handers. I like one handers and to chug pots, but that is a personal preference and something that I am alright at doing. There are trade offs either way. I would use lighting strike whenever you have an honor off and mana allows. After playing for a while you get in the rhythm of learning this with all your variables. Healing should come primarily through leeches but you can add to that with confidence (it works best with parry), SS (if you have SS and remember that this is easily disrupted) and of course close wounds. Poison can be handled with Cleanse by Fire. It is best to have all those macroed. For a suit its key to have all 70 resists after the vamp form (which will lower your fire resist) if you can Fire Resist in the 100's is ideal as even with corpse skin you are still covered. I try and run max HCI (45) and DCI if I can. I also try and add hit points to around 130 (more if possible). Then the rest I put in mana and stamina. Anything else will be a personal decision and if anyone wants to see my suits they can PM me or ICQ me and I would be happy to show them any suit that I run.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks Mirt

I appreciate the time to pass on that information.

I grew up playing this game with a Chiv/Dexer relying on healing with high dex/stamina for quick heals/xheals. Back to back with another chiv dexer and you were nearly unkillable.

I think the biggest area of confusion is amount of bush/parry to have and then appropriate weapon. I'm used to 120 parry/0 bush.

I've seen people run 120 bush/120 parry and as suggested here 120 bush/60 parry or 120 bush/0 parry.

Can you clarify which weapon to use in which scenario (two handed vs one handed) and shield or no shield?

Thanks!

E

elspeth

if you have bushido then never use a shield, as it will actually lower your chance to parry if you have one. Samurais are supposed to be "honorable" and thus not hide behind a shield.

1handed vs. 2handed sounds like it's a matter of taste like Mirt said. If you want to chug pots easily then go 1handed.

If you run the 120parry/0 bush then you need a shield with a 1hander and you are not a "sampire".

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you have bushido then never use a shield, as it will actually lower your chance to parry if you have one. Samurais are supposed to be "honorable" and thus not hide behind a shield.

1handed vs. 2handed sounds like it's a matter of taste like Mirt said. If you want to chug pots easily then go 1handed.

If you run the 120parry/0 bush then you need a shield with a 1hander and you are not a "sampire".
Pretty much this. I prefer the one handers because I chug. That being said I do have less of a parry chance. If your using swords (I actually like fencing for sampires due to the leaf blade specials) then your wide open. For fencing I alternate between the kama (for whirlwind) and the leaf blade (for AI and feint). For swords well there are just so many more options. In those cases much of it is based off of your personal preference. If speed matters most there is a route for that if its hitting power your looking for there is a way to go with that too.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check out the 2 stickys at the top they have 3+ years of advice on sampires, suite, weapons, EVERYTHING i think you could ever need :)

It got me for 0 to sampire in 4 days, from training skills to how to fight what mops with what suites and weapons ;)

Thunderz

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well some of those stickys have not been update over much. I am currently working on a sampire guide that will include the recent patches. Also its always nice to help out someone new.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've finally completed my character and suit:
120:
Anatomy
Bushido
Swords
Tactics
99 Necro
70 Chiv
71 Parry (+30 from ring and bracelet)= 101 Parry

I like the way Link went with his weapons, so I'll give that a shot.

Many thanks to all of the replies, and thanks a ton to Mirt for everything.

Any holes in the template post about them...

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you chain AI with this char?
Alright, I stoned off swords, and trained up fencing, currently at 115, just bought the 120 scroll. I went to destard and was fighting greater dragons. I had no problem chaining AI there. With that being said, I've got my guy all geared up, but the problem is, I'm rusty as far as playing him goes. I'll get around to fighting a mob that lasts longer than a GD and let you know if I can still chain it.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only downside to fencing is the one weapon with whirlwind which is kama. That being said I use fencing and love it. Feint is worth its weight in gold and the weapons are faster. I am at cap without having to put anything on my kama and that lets me put one more thing onto it.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer to put UBWS on radiant scimitars for use when fencing. What you're planning to take on will determine whether you can spare the property/intensity. I prefer having my ww weapon be one-handed so I can chug.

Ganesh89

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or give mace-ing a try ....

fine-tuning my suit and skills for chain AI hammerpicking atm...

I am still combing shame for some better loot, but eventually want to hammerpick paroxy to death :) Did him tons of times with fencer and swords now its hammer time :)

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or give mace-ing a try ....

fine-tuning my suit and skills for chain AI hammerpicking atm...

I am still combing shame for some better loot, but eventually want to hammerpick paroxy to death :) Did him tons of times with fencer and swords now its hammer time :)
Raising weapon skills Is easy enough, and I imagine bosses and other hard hitting creatures aren't nearly as tough when you beat the stamina out of them, maces will be next on my list to raise.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Macing can be effective, but the stamina drops don't seem as effective in pvm as in pvp. Just remember that swing speed is king. That being said the black staff is a great weapon now that its craft able.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see that the black staff had high DPS, I plugged my info in on stratics, checking out my swing speed, and saw the black staff had higher damage per second. My only question is, did it get the stamina nerf that the quarter staff got 10 years ago? I finally gmd my carpenter the day they took stamina damage off of qstaffs. How's that for dating myself.

R

rscozz

it be great to post a table containing something like this below, personally i'm still a newbie warrior and seeing someone can solo a sty dragon makes me wonder how they did it, for expert players, please share your exp with us :)

Boss Weapon Suit Skill Speical Move
e.g. Sty dragon xxx xxx Sword120/Bush120/ AI

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@rscozz:

I wear a suit with all 70's resists except for 66 cold and 69 energy, 10 HPR, 40% LMC, Hit Points 140, Mana 60, Dex 180. HCI 40, DCI 40 and DI 70 without weapon. I was killing greater dragons, slowly learning how to play this template and I have a reptile slayer leftblade, 25 DI, 50 HLA, 68 Mana Leech, 50 Stamina Leech.

Once I had him honored, or just using Consecrate Weapon and AI, with or without EOO it was pretty easy.

On my list of things to do is Dreadhorn, Medusa, and Stygian Dragon.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dreadhorn is the best starting test to see if you have it. Another easy test without keys is taking out a para cu as they are around as strong as dread horn.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@CorwinXX, Last night I solo'd my first medusa. I spent a great amount of time making the suit and weapons and tailoring the template.

I went with a bladed staff since I have 120 swordsmanship and it's primary ability is AI, which has been discussed on many posts. I was able to chain AI, except for the times I was mana drained, then I'd use lightning strike as soon as I had enough mana available.

The only spells/abilities I used were:
Vampiric Embrace
Honored Medusa, and lured her upstairs, no other summons bothered me)
I used Counter Attack, but I'm not sure it helped, next time I'll focus on AI
Lightning Strike (although not very often)
Consecrate Weapon
Enemy of One
Armor Ignore

A special thanks to all who posted here, without your advice I think I would have had a much different first experience.

A very special thanks to Mirt for meeting me in game and having at length discussions about templates and gear, and for guiding me through making my first, nearly perfect suit.

On to my next boss.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've finally completed my character and suit:
120:
Anatomy
Bushido
Swords
Tactics
99 Necro
70 Chiv
71 Parry (+30 from ring and bracelet)= 101 Parry

I like the way Link went with his weapons, so I'll give that a shot.

Many thanks to all of the replies, and thanks a ton to Mirt for everything.

Any holes in the template post about them...

why adding 30 parry skill instead of chiv on jewellery, since 84 is best for enemy of one?

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont really use EoO, everything I figh.t with this guy i use the slayer for It so I'm at max damage

Belshazzar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pirate or Mirt would one of you help me out with my suit? Currently got the mace and shield glasses, and i was informed try to use the samurai artifact chest piece, cant think of the name the one with great resists and the LMC on it. runebeetle carapace i believe it is.

I plan on doing heartwood pieces with HCI on each then imbuing the rest of the mods.

Now skill question - my parry is at 120 and my bushido is at 120, no shield of course, should i drop my parry down or am i fine? I dont have 120 anatomy, only 110 and swords is at 120.

Advice on rings and bracelets also?

C

Cyric_SP

Pirate or Mirt would one of you help me out with my suit? Currently got the mace and shield glasses, and i was informed try to use the samurai artifact chest piece, cant think of the name the one with great resists and the LMC on it. runebeetle carapace i believe it is.

I plan on doing heartwood pieces with HCI on each then imbuing the rest of the mods.

Now skill question - my parry is at 120 and my bushido is at 120, no shield of course, should i drop my parry down or am i fine? I dont have 120 anatomy, only 110 and swords is at 120.

Advice on rings and bracelets also?
The key number with your parry is 300. That is the total points from Melee + Bush + Parry. Being that you have 120 Swords and 120 Bush, you really only need 60 Parry to gain the benefit of your Bush skills. While it drops your actual parrying down a few percent, it gives you room to raise other skills if you want.

From what I have seen so far, there really doesn't seem to be much of a difference in losing those few percent in parry.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A sampire can solo mel without to much trouble. The big issue is making sure you get one satyr down at a time.
Considering Melisande slows down your swing speed by a crapton, if you miss even once as a Sampire on her, you'll likely be dead before you can get your next swing off to leech health.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A good addition to sampires is pot chugging with EP you can really get a ton of health back. That being said confidence, well timed evades and feints can make a huge difference in a tight spot. The Rune Beetle Carapace is less good with the tool of forged metal of artifacts as you can really make a much better piece with imbuing and enhancing quick and easy. I expect that reforging will be close to the final nail in artifacts coffin but a few will remain useful. Mace and Shields being a great example of ones that are great.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Disagree, double weapon has better chance to parry since its a two handed weapon + bush

Double handed = more damage especially when u want to use wirlwind, and more damage means more mana, life, stamina leach

I usually pot strength and dex with a one handed weapon before going in any fight, then i equip my double handed

In worse cases if ur low on hit points, equip last weapon and shrug potion

egglett

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glad ive seen this as im looking at coming back after a few years away
I used to run a sampire and was wondering if much had changed. My gear cost loads back then but maybe i can tweek it abit now you can imbue
I remember burning loads of hammers trying to get the perfect weapon

egglett

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I now see that i cant change gear to cast VE then change back to my other gear like i used to
Looks like im gonna have to give this char more than a little tweek :(

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Glad ive seen this as im looking at coming back after a few years away
I used to run a sampire and was wondering if much had changed. My gear cost loads back then but maybe i can tweek it abit now you can imbue
I remember burning loads of hammers trying to get the perfect weapon
Imbuing is your friend. My first recommendation would be to start training an artificer. You can custom make weapons and armor to fit your needs.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Disagree, double weapon has better chance to parry since its a two handed weapon + bush

Double handed = more damage especially when u want to use wirlwind, and more damage means more mana, life, stamina leach

I usually pot strength and dex with a one handed weapon before going in any fight, then i equip my double handed

In worse cases if ur low on hit points, equip last weapon and shrug potion
The 5 to 10 % difference is rarely going to be noticed. That is your parry difference just in base chance which to be honest is terrible anyway. Its unlikely that your going to notice unless your fighting things that is one hit kills and in that case I prefer the 40 hit point pots with evade and confidence to give huge hit point increase in a short period of time.
Imubing is the way to go with getting your first set of gear. It helps if you can find a friend that is really good at knowing how to put suits together weapons are pretty easy by comparison.
Mel is pretty simple but when you go in there are three satyrs that are in front of her. Fighting all of that at once is what I like to call stupid. It helps to go up and agro one and bring it down. It helps if you have a few invs pots on you just in case. The other method is luring all of them down by embracing your honor and targeting them to draw them down and then killing them but I like to try and lure them down one at a time then killing them and then honoring lady M and killing her. The tactics are pretty much the same for any peerless. AI as you can when you can't EoO and consecrate weapon. Confidence (and pots on my build) with feint and evade if your dropping to fast and then hit hit hit. She is a pain in that she will slow you down some but it should not be a huge issue.