• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bushido] sammy pally rebuild

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok rebuilding my sammy pally from the ground up
120 bush,
120 sword
120 parry
100 tactical
100 anat
83 heal
77 chiv

I want to be able to solo bosses
I want to be able to kill a man in a fair fight.... or if I think he is gonna start a fair fight :)
I love hitting with ornate axes with high HLL, HML and SSI and some HLD if you can throw that in
I have read everything I can and my head is swimming.....not sure I knowwhat is even possible...
so if you had a blank slate and plenty of gold...what would you do?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm. Depends on if you want to use Vampiric Embrace or reforged life leech weapons.

If reforged, all you'd need to do for skills is (dropping parry) raise healing to 90, and chivalry to whatever you feel comfortable with. Enemy of One is less effective than it used to be at lower skill levels; I believe you need 86 for 50% DI. At the same time, at higher levels it's more effective than it was before, I have DI in the 60s from EoO at GM chivalry. Divine Fury also gives increased bonuses and consecrate weapon gives damage increase in addition to hitting the lowest resist.

You'd need a copper runic hammer I think to reforge life leech at that high of an intensity (powerful, grand, inspired then choose vampiric/of the vampire in the reforging menu) and forego swing speed increase on the weapon.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Looks like you won't be going with VE.

You're probably better off with 100 parry and 120 tact than what you've got. Alternative: plan on putting some skills on jewels.

If you're going with "high HLL", then why bother with healing? Just find someone to sell you 1000 orange petals. They give poison immunity up greater, and you can clensing fire to cure deadly (though you might want more than 77 chiv for that, and by might, I am pretty sure I mean "will need").

Maybe against the biggest, bassest things that healing would come in handy, but in general, I suspect not.

I also think that ornate axes are a a mistake. 1) they're WAY too slow. In order to swing at 1.25s/swing you need 180+ stamina AND 60 SSI(I think, 50 or 55 works too). 2) they lack a useful special move.

Sure, they have a huge base damage, but you'll have to work really hard to swing it. Consider moving to the 2 handed axe - it has the double strike special, which is very useful against most non-boss mobs, or the double axe, because Whirlwind is a must for doing spawns. I assume that your general tactic will be to Lightning Strike every hit, so the 2H axe is probably the way to go...

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like you won't be going with VE.

You're probably better off with 100 parry and 120 tact than what you've got. Alternative: plan on putting some skills on jewels.

If you're going with "high HLL", then why bother with healing? Just find someone to sell you 1000 orange petals. They give poison immunity up greater, and you can clensing fire to cure deadly (though you might want more than 77 chiv for that, and by might, I am pretty sure I mean "will need").

Maybe against the biggest, bassest things that healing would come in handy, but in general, I suspect not.

I also think that ornate axes are a a mistake. 1) they're WAY too slow. In order to swing at 1.25s/swing you need 180+ stamina AND 60 SSI(I think, 50 or 55 works too). 2) they lack a useful special move.

Sure, they have a huge base damage, but you'll have to work really hard to swing it. Consider moving to the 2 handed axe - it has the double strike special, which is very useful against most non-boss mobs, or the double axe, because Whirlwind is a must for doing spawns. I assume that your general tactic will be to Lightning Strike every hit, so the 2H axe is probably the way to go...
Hey thanks...love the input, trying to get my head around your thought process.

Typically I used a necro peace mage for spawns, My pally was always for pvp or hunting/farming and soloing big guys.
I have a verite ornate with 60 HLL, 66 HML, 30 SSI and 35 HSL right now and have always loved it...I have a crafter trying to make me a better one since this one is 10 years old. Yes I agree the specials on the ornate arent that special....but I have always just honored the boss, then EOO, CW, and LS on every hit. Once I achieve perfection I deal 200 pts of damage per swing. usually 80-120 while building perfection. When/if my stam drops I spam a df to get it back up.

120 parry/120 bush use to make evasion very effective, I assume that isn't the case now?

When specials first came out I found they just weren't practical so I never used them. Specials must have changed because it seems now everyone is spamming them.
I have considered lowering healing to around 60 and boosting chiv to 100 to improve my chiv based casting....EOO damage is linked to chiv level?? ( that must be new).

I thought the 20 sec refresh rate on evasion was pvp only?

TW

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I've never used evasion, so you'll need to get someone else to comment there. In general though, it seems most people don't build 120s in both, but I don't run bushido on my vampire paladin, so I can't speak from experience.

I typically use a broadsword with 100 HML and just spam AIs for an average damage of 176.

The nice thing now with soulstones, you can just stone a skill away, and try different things without needing to invest too much effort into it, unless you don't have some skill you want to try on another character...

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ornate Axe is 1.25s with 180 stamina and 35 SSI. The problem with that is if you're not going to use VE you probably want as little swing speed as possible on the weapon so you can get close to 100% HLL on it. Without jewelry you can get up to 20 with 100 (or less) chivalry.

-5 ranger cloak
-5 trade bonus (New Magincia on GL; check city stones on your shard for Assassin's Guild trade deal)
-10 Divine Fury (15 at high karma + 120 chivalry?)

Also, Evasion recharge timer is PvM and PvP, it's less useful than it once was but still great while it can be used.

And if you're going to drop healing to 60 you may as well drop it entirely, you'll have the bandages slip very often and won't be able to cure or resurrect.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
considering going with a double axe for the improved specials and 3.25 sec

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really? Isn't it 3.75? I need 180 stam and 35 SSI to swing my longsword (3.5s) at 1.25.
I just used the swing speed calculator on UOGuide. Haven't tried doing the math myself.

It looks like they didn't update it to 3.75s in the calculator. So you'll need 180 stamina and 55 SSI or 210 stam and 35 SSI for ornate axe at max speed. Probably be better off going with a longsword for AI (180/35), double axe for Double Strike (150/35 or 180/20) or broadsword for AI (same as double axe)

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Nice thing about Longswords, you can reforge them to be 100 HML or HLL and also put SSI on there. I have one with 100HML/15 SSI I made the other week. Works great.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I still run a sampire with 120 parry and love it for certain applications.

120 Swords
120 Bushido
120 Parry
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
99 Necro
84 Chivalry

It takes +23 in skill jewelry, but is absolutely with it. I plan to rework my suit with one of the new talismans and only have +13 on a jewel which leaves more room for other mods. I don't use this char for Necro casters, but it works great in many other PvM situations, particularly when you need a true tank.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok so here is where I am at I would love some recommendations

120 bush/parry/swords
100 tactics/anat
80/chiv and healing

113 str for 126 hp
134 dex for 170 stam
68 int for 104 mana

with my ornate axe
30ssi
45 hci
33 dci
30 hld
HLL 60
HSL 34
HML 66
Weapon damage increase is 100
damage 61-72 ( on my status bar)
FCR 3

with this setup I seem to have plenty of mana so going to drop intel a little and try to hit 180 stam
oh and my resists are 70/70/70/70/74

my other weapon and shield combo

twinkle scimitar
hci 45
dci 45
40 lmc
5 ssi
fc fcr 1/3
scim has
44 hsl
44 hld ( for total of 74)
HLL 35
damage on gump 36-50
weapon damage increase is 100

thoughts or advice please......

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're not using specials all the time so I'd drop int even further to raise strength too. More HP.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can someone post a link or explain how you calculate you true weapon speed/?? How SSI and stam effect a weapons rated speed etc....I got a new double axe and it seems a lot faster then my ornate so I am curious

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/combat.php

Shorthand, mental math way:
Take your weapons speed (say 3.25s), subtract .25s for every 30 stamina (lets say you have 160, so subtract 5) = 2.0s
now knock off another .25 s for the first 5% ssi
now knock off another .25s for each additional 15% ssi, beyond the first 5%.

This works in general, but gets a bit wonky at the extreams, for instance SSI is relatively MORE important if you had extremely low dex, or a very slow weapon, or both.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://uo.stratics.com/content/arms-armor/combat.php

Shorthand, mental math way:
Take your weapons speed (say 3.25s), subtract .25s for every 30 stamina (lets say you have 160, so subtract 5) = 2.0s
now knock off another .25 s for the first 5% ssi
now knock off another .25s for each additional 15% ssi, beyond the first 5%.

This works in general, but gets a bit wonky at the extreams, for instance SSI is relatively MORE important if you had extremely low dex, or a very slow weapon, or both.

That was exactly what I was looking for thank you