• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Running into walls

G

Garrett

Ok... Been trying the new client, not a fan but I could live with it I think... Only thing that has been driving me crazy right now is the when you hit a wall it automatically turns you along the wall. Is there a way to shut that off at all?

*hopes this is the right forum for the question*

Edit: Who here thinks that if they just put in a "record" option sort of like UOA has a lot of the macro problems would be solved pretty easily?

W

wee papa smurf

I know what your saying about the walls, sometimes when my char hits a wall he runs sideways :wall:

O

Old Man of UO

The only time you will stop when running into a wall is if there is a door directly in front of you. Actually, you want to do this in general. What this allows you to do is "bump" into objects and then move around it without stopping. The 2D client can't do this and you stop whenever you run into a tree or rock, or in your case the wall. So you end up running faster because you don't slow down for these things.

Speaking for myself, I'd rather be able to run around objects than stop whenever I hit them.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the problem I've found with this feature is that if you walk, say, onto a bridge that lies north/south and you want to look at the waterfall (turn your character to look at it, I mean) on the west, you cannot..... happens when you walk past a table, if you want to stop and examine the goods on it, you cannot turn that way

I did learn about the CTRL + arrow keys (was it you taught me that, Old Man?), but they seem to be limited.. can only turn character to face n/w, n/e, s/w and s/e... haven't found a way to face directly north, south, east or west using keystrokes

it's nice, yes, for running thru the forests, but there are times for more deliberate movements

O

Old Man of UO

the problem I've found with this feature is that if you walk, say, onto a bridge that lies north/south and you want to look at the waterfall ...
Oh how romantic! Waterfalls! LOL

Well actually, you are facing North, South, East, and West direct when using the Ctrl - Arrow keys. It's the screen and radar map that are tilted. What you are asking is to turn NE, NW, SE and SW. I don't think it can be done, but I'll play a bit... I know there are key bindings for the WASD keys, so maybe...

X

xmouse

in kr you could hold the ctrl button down and you would not move except to spin on an axis i.e. click the mouse button the direction you wanted to face.
they said they were taking that function out of sa. i havne't played with sa enough to check it out i just downloaded it last night. however i find that if you put the cursor in the direction you want to face and tap the mouse button really fast you can turn in any direction even when up against a wall.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in kr you could hold the ctrl button down and you would not move except to spin on an axis i.e. click the mouse button the direction you wanted to face.
they said they were taking that function out of sa. i havne't played with sa enough to check it out i just downloaded it last night. however i find that if you put the cursor in the direction you want to face and tap the mouse button really fast you can turn in any direction even when up against a wall.
that method of placing cursor and quickly clicking never fails in 2D, but four of us last nite could not make it work in SA :blushing: I'll try the ctrl trick and let you know, thanks!

O

Old Man of UO

that method of placing cursor and quickly clicking never fails in 2D, but four of us last nite could not make it work in SA :blushing: I'll try the ctrl trick and let you know, thanks!
Trying to spin in SA?

Hold the CTRL button down and rapid alternate between either Up/Dwn arrows or the Lft/Rt arrows.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is one thing that annoys me with SA. I haven't tried decorating a house yet with it, but imagine trying to decorate if your character keeps bouncing off the walls.

Yes, it might be handy when navigating the tangled wilds, but would it be handy when there are traps around that you want to avoid and instead it jets you off a wall right into said traps. Remember, they mention traps for the Stygian Abyss expansion.

I think I'd rather stop at an object and manage my way around it rather than leaving it to the client to figure out what's best for me. It just reminds me too much of Microsoft word screwing up your documents because it is trying to think for you.

C

ceph

I really really hate the loss of the CTRL key functionality in SA. It essential for good roleplay to be able to turn a character without moving off the spot.
I'd rather like to have me stopped at any object in my ways than not being able to turn.
If ANYONE got a hack to reactivate this please let me know.