• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RTB player in Blackthorn castle

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So returning player/.......playing in the new Blackthorn dungeon..

So working on these artifacts i see it is the usual UO Grind to get anything. I have read about captains, how do i get them to spawn and where?

Thanks

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Look in the city pods. From the Blackthorn's central chamber go north and the wind to the west. You'll find them... and be careful! The captains pack a punch.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look in the city pods. From the Blackthorn's central chamber go north and the wind to the west. You'll find them... and be careful! The captains pack a punch.
Hmmm... Been doing that and the mini-cities are deserted so far. I'll keep checking.

Do each of these city pods each have a unique captain? (undead, repond, reptile)?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One city should always be spawning, unless it's between spawns for a bit. Look for the city with the lighthouse in it for the spawn. The spawns and captains are random, so some are easier than others. Each spawn has about 3 captains at a time. Best focus on only one captain group at a time - don't knock off all the lesser spawn and have 3 captains running after you at the same time. Captains are invulnerable (yellow) until that captain's spawn is killed off, then the captain turns red and can be damaged. The lighthouse can be damaged for about a third of its hit points after 3 or 4 (or whatever, I don't count em) captains are killed. The lighthouse gives a drop when taken down.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One city should always be spawning, unless it's between spawns for a bit. Look for the city with the lighthouse in it for the spawn. The spawns and captains are random, so some are easier than others. Each spawn has about 3 captains at a time. Best focus on only one captain group at a time - don't knock off all the lesser spawn and have 3 captains running after you at the same time. Captains are invulnerable (yellow) until that captain's spawn is killed off, then the captain turns red and can be damaged. The lighthouse can be damaged for about a third of its hit points after 3 or 4 (or whatever, I don't count em) captains are killed. The lighthouse gives a drop when taken down.
great....thanks for your help. ill take a look for these now.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Warning: captains are very tough to solo. Some players handle them with those paladin dexxers with high chivalry and bladed staffs with armor ignore and 100 percent life leech and high mana leech. I chose the lesser route - pick off the spawn with a bushido archer, then honor and kite the captains. Not as sexy, but effective.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Warning: captains are very tough to solo. Some players handle them with those paladin dexxers with high chivalry and bladed staffs with armor ignore and 100 percent life leech and high mana leech. I chose the lesser route - pick off the spawn with a bushido archer, then honor and kite the captains. Not as sexy, but effective.

How does one exactly "kite" a Captain ? What offensive tactic is it ?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How does one exactly "kite" a Captain ? What offensive tactic is it ?
Make them follow you while you keep ahead of them - like pulling a kite - while you shoot them with arrows. That's why it's important to do one group at a time and isolate one captain at a time
Edit: with honor and a composite bow for armor ignore, you can be hitting them for around 200 every few seconds. If you miss honor, you're going to have a hard time. I've killed around 100 of them solo. The only downside is my hands getting tired after a while leading them. This was on Legends, though, when I didn't have other people running in and screwing everything up.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm... Been doing that and the mini-cities are deserted so far. I'll keep checking.

Do each of these city pods each have a unique captain? (undead, repond, reptile)?
they dont have a slayer but there are different types. the mystics, archers, rogues, arent too bad. macers are pretty hard. the one fencer almost impossible.
theres no slayer on any of them
its a really hard area. best to do with a group if you dont have advanced gear. i see mystics do ok with rising colossus, i use a bushido chiv dexter with healing and 75 percent life leech 100 percent mana leech on bladed staff. 170s stamina 20 swing speed on jewels 55 dci refined suit. its still very challenging.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If you have a bard with you, party and have her use the peacemaking masteries.
Make the fights much easier when you are a bush/paladin dexxer with high chivalry, bladed staves (or double axe for those captains with a zero elemental resist and 5 times more life) and high mana leech.
If you can have two, one running peacemaking and other provocation masteries, you're pretty much set and the fight should go smooth even against the most annoying of them.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your really skilled you will see a message in chat window when the lighthouse can be attacked while fighting for your life.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they dont have a slayer but there are different types. the mystics, archers, rogues, arent too bad. macers are pretty hard. the one fencer almost impossible.
theres no slayer on any of them
its a really hard area. best to do with a group if you dont have advanced gear. i see mystics do ok with rising colossus, i use a bushido chiv dexter with healing and 75 percent life leech 100 percent mana leech on bladed staff. 170s stamina 20 swing speed on jewels 55 dci refined suit. its still very challenging.
I believe the Sampire captain is vulnerable to an Undead Slayer, but it's been a while since I was down there.

As far as the Captains, I've soloed a few myself. I've soloed (or attempted to) 4 in the past: Bard on my tamer, just ghealing my greater and occasionally casting on her. I also did a Fencer on my Mystic, summon a Rising, hide/occasionally cast directly, repeat. In Fel Blackthorn, I was fighting a Wizard on my Red and got her to half health (with ~74% SDI and Corpse Skin) before I needed to repair stuff. I attempted a Rogue on my Sampire, but I stopped hitting it & ended up dying.

For the other Melee class Captains (Macer, Archer, Swordsman, to name a few), I don't dare attempt them alone. They beat the ever-loving crap out of me, but you only need 3 chars to make every single one go smoothly. Get a greater to tank, SW Myst Mage for secondary healing/damage, and a Sampire. Unsurprisingly, Sampires are EXTREMELY effective against Captains when they can just do damage and not have to worry about tanking.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can cast on archers from out of their range. Just try positions on diagonals like SW or SE. They usually just stand around until one gets too close.

Hitting the lighthouse solo was the most boring thing i ever did on UO. It was needed when there were 10+ people attacking during invasions, but down there its pointless.