• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RPG. What if the R was forced upon you?

L

love2winalot

Hail: RPG, or Role Playing Game for those who have forgotten. One thing i hate the most is when you see, "The Great Angel follower of the Heavens, and Son of Satans Horde", riding along together, covering up for each others weakness, and killing everything in sight.

All these games were created in the good vs evil play style. In UO this used to be Order vs Chaos, or the different factions. But almost everyone is neutral. Should this, "we know it won't be", changed? Is it not better to make it almost impossible for good an evil, to not only co exist, but be team mates?

Lets bring the, "R" back into RPG.
Your thoughts. :scholar:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You can lead a horse to water...

Well you know the rest.

Same applies here, you can give the players the canvas, but you can't make them paint, and if they do, to whom do you give the power to decide who is playing "correctly"? And what do you do to those who do not "play correctly"?

C

Connor_Graham

To respond to the title of the thread, it's human nature to push back against anything that is forced, so if people were "forced" to roleplay, you'd see a lot of people looking for either a way around it, or for another game to play.

Personally, I have probably RP'd for a grand total of 5 minutes in the entire time I've played UO, and even that was just joking around, and wasn't meant to be part of the overall gameplay. My fun in UO is found in the playing of the game itself. RP just isn't my thing, and if it was forced, then I'd probably be one of the ones looking for a way NOT to do it, or simply looking for another game that I would enjoy playing.

Even WoW has as it's #1 reason for players quitting "forced" grouping for any end game content. Forcing people to do something only pushes them away. It doesn't do anything to get them to "want" to do what they're being forced to do.

Z

Zoran

Damn.. You bring up a good point on this one... One of the few I've seen actually on here so far hehe...

I like the game the way it is, I enjoy the fact that in Lake Austin we actually have a guild there that has taken on the "Evil" role and expresses it by claiming to own Fel ( and doing a pretty darn good job of proving it!). Likewise, we have a guild that has claimed the side of light. These are the two largest guilds in the shard. It gives you the good versus evil element that truly does add to the game...

But is there roleplaying?
Not really so much. You see people make the attempt. You often see 'yes', replaced with 'aye'. Overall however, especially when it comes to the PvP side of things, instead of seeing "Now bask in your own blood do-gooder" or "Die you filthy fiend!!" you just hear a lot of "OwNeD!!" or "PawneD!".

It would add a lot probibly to get the 'R' back in this RPG, but until we have a vast movement in that direction, I doubt it wil happen.

Lol- and an intresting sidenote to the Lake Austin thing;
I'm in the "Good Guys" guild, and as Ive come to know more and more of them, the 'Evil' guild, actually has some damn nice folks in it. Some are friends of mine now- but when it comes to Yew Gate Fel or a spawn- Its usually fight-on-sight. Thats about as close to RPG as ive gotten with it.

~Zoran

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a fan of more dimensions to morality than order and chaos, good and evil. Sometimes, in the darkest hour, the enemy of my ememy is my friend.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

You can lead a horse to water...

Well you know the rest.

Same applies here, you can give the players the canvas, but you can't make them paint, and if they do, to whom do you give the power to decide who is playing "correctly"? And what do you do to those who do not "play correctly"?

As much as I dearly love the RP part of the RPG this is one thing I can say that I totally could not agree with more....

Unfortunately some folk just don't know how to paint.... Infact some folk even when give a paint by number kit can't do it.... Others when given paint by number kits like to go "outside" the lines.... they don't like to put Green for "g"... they would rather do it in Gray.... Or gold.... Or *gasps* Violet! How shocking is that!!! As for me.... I like a blank canvas... Onto which I can paint my own portrait!.... Some of us are artists.... some like to follow a path.... and still others won't even pick up the brush... then there are those who are afraid the artist will come along and critique their work.... so they hide it... Or fail to even try.

And I also agree with Connor.... some folk are gonna scream to be "forced" into it... I don't want anyone telling me how I am to play UO or my characters.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Order, Chaos, Faction, all need to be popular as hell. and honestly, more things like this need to be added.

we have no king, we have no government. people need to be able to swear fealty to orcs, savages, anti virtue dungeons vs virtue cities, simple dueling capabilities in any rule set.. role play communities have had to try to manage all this by them selves since British and the seers left us. player affiliation vs player affiliation needs to be brought into the light, and out of fel yew gate. kill for loot is getting old. Some really cool temps out there don't even fight simply cause they have to carry stuff and 99% of the people i kill in fel carry nothing. make if fun, popular, worth it, and mean something. get a role
/agreed/signed/stamped/delivered to Draconi

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As long as the duelling is kept in specific locations, I'm all good with that. I know it always annoyed me to get the "BoredNoob challenges you to a duel" gump almost every time you passed certain people in WoW. I'd hate to deal with it UO.

I'm not against duelling, I just don't want to be dealing with unwanted requests.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a fan of more dimensions to morality than order and chaos, good and evil. Sometimes, in the darkest hour, the enemy of my ememy is my friend.
I like this! Think I might have seen it somewhere else recently, but I don't recall exactly where.

Points for MS.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play a role in the game be it an archer mage warrior good evil whatever. That is enough for me. I should have a choice in what I want to be and if I am good or evil but I should also have a choice of what name I want and who I choose to help or harm. I pay every month for that right.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's even better when there is meaning behind it. Like something in the game that will help you support your premise.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

As long as the duelling is kept in specific locations, I'm all good with that. I know it always annoyed me to get the "BoredNoob challenges you to a duel" gump almost every time you passed certain people in WoW. I'd hate to deal with it UO.

I'm not against duelling, I just don't want to be dealing with unwanted requests.

oh defiantly. if i did it, i have it set up the same way as guilds. if you want to duel someone, actually challenge them. then if you agree, go into duels, and allow incoming duel challenges. throw items into a trade window if you want, and there on hold until someone wins the round.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And how would you propose that? You can't make two friends of thematically oppsing alignment fight, or NOT fight. There only way to force rping, it so have a gm staff going around banning people for going ooc. You can force people to swear fealty to orcs or chickens, or mandrake root all you please but its not going to acomplish anything.

Bottom line, will never happen.

Anyways, "good" and "evil" forces combine all the live long day in real life. Why should it be any different in a game?

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keeping in mind that the current event seems to be going along these lines. Hands up those who took the Shadowlord's offer (wave those glass daggers)! Odds are you'll be given a reason to fight those who didn't shortly.

Will that force roleplaying? Probably not... probably not. But there'll be room for those who want to do it.

L

Lord Kynd

Hail: RPG, or Role Playing Game for those who have forgotten. One thing i hate the most is when you see, "The Great Angel follower of the Heavens, and Son of Satans Horde", riding along together, covering up for each others weakness, and killing everything in sight.

All these games were created in the good vs evil play style. In UO this used to be Order vs Chaos, or the different factions. But almost everyone is neutral. Should this, "we know it won't be", changed? Is it not better to make it almost impossible for good an evil, to not only co exist, but be team mates?

rather be forced into the R than forced into the P's in PvP.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I rp as soon as my character is logged on. I dont have to talk funny or seem like a weirdo. Ultima was about a guy from earth who was sent to britannia to help the citizens of thier world(thats how i understand it) so me just being me is role playing someone from th Realworld to help the citizens of britannia. Everyone is RP in this view.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I was much younger to this game in the long long ago (8 of my 10+ years ago), I mostly played with people I knew in real life. We had this view of roleplayers that they basically got house blessings and they were impossible to find. There was a certain animosity toward roleplayers because it was believed that they were shown favoritism.

A lot changed over the years. I joined a player town, started roleplaying, and now do mostly that. I run events. I craft for roleplaying. I make characters for roleplaying. And so on. I do this because I like telling stories with a group of players.

I hate the idea of roleplay shards, roleplay rulesets, forced interactions. I have met so many different types of roleplayers that I don't think restrictions would actually help most of them. In fact, it would hinder them. Forced anything doesn't lead to creativity. If I bind a painter's hands, I'm not going to get incredible paintings from them.

There is also the fact that some people just like to game. They like the G of RPG. They want to find items and bash other people over the head with them. Good for them!

UO is a sandbox. All the materials are there for a evil necromancers fortress, for holy army, for a peasant farmer and his cow, but no one is forced to use any of them if they don't want to.

K

Kith Kanan

Well that kinda went out the door with the introduction of trammel.. but nice idea....