• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Royal Guard Dress Uniform Design Competition

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By order of Lord Commander Drake Foxx the following competition is open to the general populace:

Task: To design a Dress Uniform for all Royal Guard units to be worn while any enlisted member of the Royal Guard is at the Royal Guard Depot at Serpent's Hold. This uniform is for RP and ceremonial purposes only. The basic uniform (boots/kilt/sash/hat) are encouraged to be worn during all combat operations, but it is not a necessity (you receive extra merit points if you stay in uniform). The uniform that is open for design is to be worn again at Serpent's Hold only.

Guidelines: The uniform should be standard among all enlisted persons. You may include designations for rank (changes in armor color/armor style/clothing etc) but each designation should build on a basic scheme. Sashes/Doublets/Capes are examples of items that will be awarded for advancement in rank. This means that as you advance in rank you will receive a sash, then doublet, then a cape. Also remember that each regiment has a different hat style. Keep this in mind. The official Royal Guard color is a bright red, (the color of the sashes we've given out). You are free to amend other colors as you wish. Only colors attained through normal or special dye tubs are allowable. No neons!

Judging: Royal Guard units will vote on the design they like best. All designs are subject to pre-approval by the Lord Commander of the Royal Guard. Submission period closes on March 14th, judging will commence at a Royal Guard live game event following the close of the submission period.

Reward: The person who is responsible for submitting the winning design shall be designated Quartermaster, and recognition as such.

Happy tailoring!

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Had some questions before I uploaded to the News.

Task: To design a Dress Uniform for all Royal Guard units to be worn while any enlisted member of the Royal Guard is at the Royal Guard Depot at Serpent's Hold.
Should we design a Human, Gargoyle and Elven uniform?

Also remember that each regiment has a different hat style.
Can we have a regiment list?

The uniform should be standard among all enlisted persons. You may include designations for rank (changes in armor color.....
Limited to Metallic dye tub? Regular Dye tub? Tokuno pigments? Natural Dye? Uogamcodes.com colors?

Judging: Royal Guard units will vote on the design they like best. All designs are subject to pre-approval by the Lord Commander of the Royal Guard. Submission period closes on March 14th, judging will commence at a Royal Guard live game event following the close of the submission period.
How do we submit our entry? Email? Drake Foxx's mailbox?

What if we cannot make the live judging event? Are we not eligible to win?

Reward: The person who is responsible for submitting the winning design shall be designated Quartermaster, and recognition as such.
Does the character have to be a registered Royal Guard?
(For those who may have been unable to attend a recruitment event so far.)

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Had some questions before I uploaded to the News.

Should we design a Human, Gargoyle and Elven uniform?
At this time humans only, once the general scheme is accepted the other races will be developed.

Can we have a regiment list?
Mages, Melee, Archers, Tamers

Limited to Metallic dye tub? Regular Dye tub? Tokuno pigments? Natural Dye? Uogamcodes.com colors?
Regular Dye Tub, Special Dye Tub, Leather Dye Tub, Metallic Dye Tub, White/Black tubs

How do we submit our entry? Email? Drake Foxx's mailbox?
Email screenshots, or in Drake's Mailbox

What if we cannot make the live judging event? Are we not eligible to win?
You do not need to be present to win.

Does the character have to be a registered Royal Guard?
Nope, anyone can enter...but you should join!

Thanks for posting these for clarification!

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ranks are listed in the Royal Guard sticky. The headgear is wizards hat for mages, bandana for melee, skully for tamers, and caps for archers.

N

Nyx_

Outfits!!!!:bs:
Sorry but who wants to look like everyone else, that takes the originality out of the game. I am no foot soldier.

Lets see....I am a myst, mage, ninja, stealther who is also human
I wear glasses not a hat, not giving up my robe, sash, and cloak with mods on them for ones that are plain and cant imbue the same properties on items (not even close in most cases). Now lets talk colors, why in the underworld of UO would I dye my items drab boring colors after paying for special dyes????? Not going to happen! DEMERIT ME, SPANK ME, HATE ME, LOVE ME, I MIGHT LIKE IT! *Wonders how low a rank one can get (gonna try for that I think)*

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nyx,

This would be something you would wear on Serpent's Hold only. During combat operations you can wear whatever you want. Wearing the uniform during combat operations would earn you more merit points, but not wearing it does not earn you demerit points.

N

Nyx_

Still dont like looking like the masses Duds........:stir:
Only one Nyx (I know thank the uo gods, right) but I have been down this road before in my 13 years of this game. Getting players to conform to a dress code in a game is like using mind control powers on individuals in the real realm. :bowdown:

T

Tancred RedStar

It's a role-played army unit, give me a break, of course there has to be some sort of uniform, even if it's only for formal dress and only around the barracks.

N

Nyx_

An army for what? If you cant tell that someone casting spells is a mage, or someone that has a dragon following them is a tamer, or chars carrying bows are archers, then maybe I would see a need for a division of individuals until then what is the point. Not like we cant all turn on those ingenious little tags over our heads that say Archer, Mage, Ranger, etc etc. That is all that should be required is show a title over your head, and for the ones not in a guild (if any) 25k is cheap to make up a guild to use a title.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
LoL sorry but that is funny

Jordy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Royal Guard is military. If you join the Army or the Navy or the Marines or any of the military branches, are you going to say "I'm not wearing your stupid conformist fatigues, because anyone who sees me with an AK47 is going to know that I'm a soldier"?

N

Nyx_

I look at it this way..... if I go join the military in real life, that is my decision. Paying to play a game is also my decision, one that lets me control my surroundings, when I go somewhere, where I want to go, and how I wish to do it. When I play this game (emphasis on game) I do not wish to conform to anything that I do not want to do, including acting like a sheep just so we *look* good. So I will pay for my account(s) and dress as I wish, I am far from acting like a toy soldier in a game yanked on by puppet strings.

EMDrosselmeyer

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then that's your choice, and no one is forcing you to be part of the RBG contingent. Put simply, this thread is about a contest to design a uniform. If you aren't interested in it, that's fine, but there's no reason for you to disparage the entire idea as a whole. And your guild title suggestion is at least equally as difficult to implement as many guilds have structured and tiered ranks already that are displayed for their members. If you have constructive criticism it is always welcome, but derision and a condescending tone are not necessary.

N

Nyx_

Dudley,

You can chose overhead name (guild) and then subtitle (skill) and when finished you can switch back to the subtitle (guild). Easier than changing clothes.

It would look like:
NAME (GUILD)
Legendary Whatever (Mage, Tamer, etc)

EMDrosselmeyer

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And then everyone would have to check everyone's names every time they wanted to know which unit they were with. The reason uniforms are commonly used is because at any time with a single glance it is easy to distinguish what it stands for; You must also keep in mind that in a roleplaying environment, we don't all have floating names over our heads, much less guild titles. Since the RBG is a roleplaying initiative, it would make little to no sense to use a guild title system, while a uniform makes excellent sense.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
When do we find out who won?

:eek:snap::ten::owned::drama:

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There will be an in game voting event announced with our April event calander.