• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Announcement Royal Britannian Guard - Town Guards

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills Royal Britannian Guard – Town Guards

The purpose of the RBG Town Guards is to provide official recognition of the efforts of participants in the larger story consisting of global fiction and events as well as those created specifically for Catskills by Event Moderators assigned to the shard. The primary function of the RBG Town Guards is to encourage role-play in the towns specified to be included in this “system.” What follows is a guide – the shard EMs reserve the right to change this guide at any time if it is necessary.

Outline:
1. The RBG Town Guards and interaction with Event Moderators (OOC) and the Crown (IC).
The primary purpose of the RBGTG is to encourage RP participation, allowing players to further identify with the town they live in – any support from the EMs or the King will be to enhance this purpose. Material support will be very limited, and up to the discretion of the EM. Specific actions of the Town Guards may impact “the larger story” consisting of official fiction, events, and reference from the King or other important characters. This will be done selectively at the discretion of the EM (who is tasked with juggling global content, their content, as well as player-driven content).

2. The Town Guard and town Governors. There is no intrinsic link between these two groups. That being said, interaction and participation at the town level is left largely to the participants, so cooperation here is encouraged.

3. Joining a Town Guard. There are two methods to joining a Town Guard. (1) Enlist as an individual. To do so, place a book with your full character name and the town you wish to serve (you may ask to be assigned to a town) in the mailbox at the Center for Public Affairs in Britain (formerly the “Wedding House”). Once a month, or as deemed necessary, a “swearing in” will occur where each recruit will take an oath to serve King, Kingdom, and their town. The Captain of the Royal Britannian Guard will travel to each town to officiate this process. (2) Enlist as part of a “regiment.” A regiment is any guild whose membership ALL serve as Town Guards. Once recognized, a regiment may hold its own “swearing in” ceremony for new recruits that need not be attended by the Captain. Any guild wishing to be recognized as a regiment must first take the oath administered by the Captain, after which a probationary period will occur. There CAN BE multiple regiments in a given city.

4. Participating as a Town Guard. As previously stated, this is a RP driven organization. Guards should not expect to be given “something to do” by the EMs or the Crown, though there will be occasional opportunities for a town’s Guards to influence the affairs of the Kingdom (and the “larger story”). Your experience will be largely what you make of it.

5. Structure. Regimental leaders will be recognized with the rank of “Regimental Captain.” No other ranks will be assigned by the EMs or the Crown. Participants are encouraged to devise their own means of ranking and promotion, if they wish. This may be done in conjunction with the town Governor, but is not required. It should be kept in mind that no Town Guard shall outrank either the Captain of the Royal Britannian Guard, or his/her Lieutenant(s). It may be useful to think of these individuals as holding “offices” rather than “ranks.”

6. Guards assigned by the Captain. The Captain of the Royal Britannian Guard may assign RPC Guards to a town based upon the size of the town, and its level of participation in the RBGTG. These Guards will serve to provide a small amount of uniqueness to each town.

7. Uniform. The regiments and Guards of a town are encouraged to work together to establish standard colors.

8. RBGTG and existing NPC guards. For RP purposes, these two groups are differentiated by their duties. The standard NPC town guard patrols only within town borders for criminal activity, while the RBGTG is better suited for dealing with larger threats (such as attacks, or when called upon to assist other towns).

9. Towns covered by the RBGTG. The following is a list of towns/areas available for use in this “system.” Changes to this list are possible, but highly unlikely (please note, Felucca towns ARE NOT included):

Britain
Cove
Jhelom
Minoc
Moonglow
New Haven
New Magincia
Skara Brae
Trinsic
Vesper
Yew

In addition to these towns of the Kingdom, Luna and Umbra are included to maintain consistency with the old system. For RP purposes, Guards of these towns are accepted (with reservation) by the Necromancers and Paladins as they recognize their war with each other has diminished their ability to defend against other threats.​

Last edited:

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Current Regiments:
Minoc – RBGM (probationary)
Trinsic – Purple Guardians of Honor**
Umbra – RBGU*
Vesper – K^S*
* = Grandfathered from previous iteration of RBG system.​
**= Recognized as eternal protectors of Trinsic by a higher power.
Status is not contingent on involvement with the RBGTG, of which they
have elected not to join at this time.

Last edited:

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to start by saying this is the first of two stages of implementation. Those of you who were hoping for something else may yet get it.

This is not a perfect "system." Then again, it would be impossible for a perfect one to exist. What this is, hopefully, is a way to balance the need for autonomy with recognition in the larger story. Thank you to all who contributed your input.

Please feel free to post any specific questions you may have. I simply ask that you refrain from too much commentary and discussion on this for now (at least in this thread), as there has been A LOT of that already.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QUESTIONS:

1) Capt. Kalmar Erikkson is the OFFICIAL, Sworn In Captain of the RBG of Umbra (RBGU) sworn in by Commander Kanlocke herself. So do we need another swear in ceremony? Can be arranged if so.

2) Also my husband runs the RBG of Minoc (RGoM) on his character Capt. Julian Lefleur and has done so for a year now (friend of Kalmar's), how does he go about getting off "probationary" status?

3) Also there is an RBG of Luna (RBGL) although their Capt. is currently on a break from the game, but that doesn't mean that they are not recognized, right? Goes for RBG of Britain and RBG of Haven too (as much as I personally hate that) and others as well, like the RBG of Yew?

4) Can my RBG of Umbra join the RBGTG as an allied stone? Do you have a working stone for the system? You did have the RBG one itself duplicated at one point. Can that be used? Would be amazing to have alliance chat with other stones of similar format.

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Nope, not needed. Same goes for other grandfathered regiments.
2) It won't take much. For reference, this group has co-hosted events with the Minoc Governor and was involved in fending off an attack on the town. Further actions of this nature should do it in short order.
3) In terms of regiments that went through the formal induction process, Kasaven's list handed down list includes the three already listed, as well as New Haven and it looks as though Luna was set to have their interview and test but it never occurred. If they return, I will have to address it with them then.
4) I would like to do this, but need to find out who held that guild - it was never myself, but either Nathael or Kasaven. It is a possibility, but won't be implemented immediately.

Last edited:

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4) I would like to do this, but need to find out who held that guild - it was never myself, but either Nathael or Kasaven. It is a possibility, but won't be implemented immediately.
THIS... would mean the world to us Barnaby if you could do that! I speak for RBG of Umbra and RBG of Minoc, we would join that alliance right away. It would enhance our communication efforts and also our communication with you on your many RPC's.

Some other questions have popped up in my head... like Commander Kanlocke is dead right? Who is our next appointed Commander? Also will the RBG office in Britain (in Castle British) still be our base of operations?

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Commander Kanlocke isn't dead, but she is a fugitive of sorts. In the aftermath of these events, she went into hiding as many blamed her for the devastation Britain suffered due to the demon attack. She has actually appeared in events multiple times since then, but in disguise ;)

As for the new leader, Sir Andrew will be taking over. There will be much more development to this as the current "Benambra's Trail" arc winds down, heading into the next arc.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM Barnaby, any news as to who has leadership of the RBG-TG stone? I would like to see the alliance chat option suggestion above come to fruition. For communication purposes it would be an invaluable tool. :)

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have gone ahead and created a temporary alliance between the RBGx guilds listed below:

RBGU - Umbra Regiment - Capt. Kalmar Erikkson
RGoM - Minoc Regiment - Capt. Julian Lefleur
RBGY - Yew Regiment - Capt. Dallen Bowsong
RBGB - Britain Regiment - Capt. Halston Montil

SHOULD the EM's decide that they will indeed form an alliance under their main umbrella, we will happily go along and dissolve this alliance to join the EM's.

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two things to note today.

Some clarification regarding "Regimental Captains." These are the leaders (typically GMs) of a guild that decides to join as a town regiment. They do not technically hold a "rank" within the Town Guards, rather they serve as representatives of their regiment. How a regiment decides to structure itself in terms of ranks is of course up to them - but they will not apply outside their regiment.

Also, I have decided against creating an alliance for the different regiments. While such a thing could be useful, it would be unfair to those who wish to serve as a Town Guard, but not leave their guild affiliation. A "Town Guards" chat channel would seem to be more appropriate.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Surely that would be a great thing to have... more unified communications. Is it possible to have a permanent RBG channel? How hard is that to achieve? If not, then how about whenever you are on Sir Andrew (who is our commander, correct?) you have that channel available for folks to join it during events?

Thank you!

P.S. Any other RBGx guilds that wish to participate in the RBG alliance, are welcomed to send me a tell.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Two things to note today.

Some clarification regarding "Regimental Captains." These are the leaders (typically GMs) of a guild that decides to join as a town regiment. They do not technically hold a "rank" within the Town Guards, rather they serve as representatives of their regiment. How a regiment decides to structure itself in terms of ranks is of course up to them - but they will not apply outside their regiment.

Also, I have decided against creating an alliance for the different regiments. While such a thing could be useful, it would be unfair to those who wish to serve as a Town Guard, but not leave their guild affiliation. A "Town Guards" chat channel would seem to be more appropriate.
Thank you Barnaby this sounds good.

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Surely that would be a great thing to have... more unified communications. Is it possible to have a permanent RBG channel? How hard is that to achieve? If not, then how about whenever you are on Sir Andrew (who is our commander, correct?) you have that channel available for folks to join it during events?

Thank you!

P.S. Any other RBGx guilds that wish to participate in the RBG alliance, are welcomed to send me a tell.
If it is appropriate I will use the channel, yes. Most events will not have a direct call for Town Guards, however, so the "Official EM Event" channel will continue to be the primary channel I will be in during events.

Sir Andrew is indeed the acting Captain of the Guard.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is Andrew the Captain or the Commander? Considering we have Captains for our regiments, I would think its Commander (the higher rank) no? Could also be Admiral or General. :)

~ Sue.

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanted to bump this as I have added a bit of information regarding regiments as well as uniforms. I will also answer Bianca's last question as it seems I missed it.

The "Captain of the Guard" has traditionally been more of a station or office as opposed to a strict rank. This was strayed from but I'd like to return to it, so the Captain of the Guard will be the highest authority. Similarly, a "Regimental Captain" is a station, and does not necessarily reflect a rank. This may seem like hairsplitting, but it is both consistent with how the Captaincy is handled in a "global" sense and will fit in with the second stage of the implementation of the Guards.

Regarding this "second stage," it will be happening soon.

If any of the Regiments or Guards of a town would like to submit an idea for uniforms for their town, please do so via email. Thank you.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hold up a second.... our uniforms have been the same for years now. We will NOT be changing it. Also, we have had ranks in the RBG for decades now. I mean its "former COMMANDER Olivia Kanlocke" that we're looking for at the moment, no? Our regiments have ranks ... very much so and Captain is at the very top of that for these regiments. But there are Lieutenants, Sergeants, Detectives, Investigators, etc. etc. Why are we deviating from that now? Maybe I am completely confused here!

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've convinced me - uniform uniforms would infringe upon the traditions of established regiments and anyone who wishes to express themselves different from everyone else. I have updated # 7 to reflect this. Should someone else decide to take the Oath for Umbra I hope you'll work together with them.

In terms of ranks, I refer to an earlier statement:
"Some clarification regarding "Regimental Captains." These are the leaders (typically GMs) of a guild that decides to join as a town regiment. They do not technically hold a "rank" within the Town Guards, rather they serve as representatives of their regiment. How a regiment decides to structure itself in terms of ranks is of course up to them - but they will not apply outside their regiment."

In other words, the Lieutenant of one regiment cannot issue orders to the Private of another. How each regiment handles their ranks is their own business, but those ranks will not apply outside that regiment. In regards to the former Commander, she is just that, "former." UO tradition has the highest position in the Guards as being the "Captain of the Guard," and that is what it will be going forward.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM Barnaby,

I am a bit confused, there was a post in regards to Trinsic now having a few guards now after the last initiation that are not part of PGoH and you mentioned here that someone could decide to take the oath for Umbra. So when anyone wishes to "swear in" to a town of their choice, right, they are allowed to exist independently as part of the RBG but do not have to be part of the regiment (or protectorate) that has already been established for said city? Can you confirm and elaborate?

~ Sue.

Last edited:

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've convinced me - uniform uniforms would infringe upon the traditions of established regiments and anyone who wishes to express themselves different from everyone else. I have updated # 7 to reflect this. Should someone else decide to take the Oath for Umbra I hope you'll work together with them.

In terms of ranks, I refer to an earlier statement:
"Some clarification regarding "Regimental Captains." These are the leaders (typically GMs) of a guild that decides to join as a town regiment. They do not technically hold a "rank" within the Town Guards, rather they serve as representatives of their regiment. How a regiment decides to structure itself in terms of ranks is of course up to them - but they will not apply outside their regiment."

In other words, the Lieutenant of one regiment cannot issue orders to the Private of another. How each regiment handles their ranks is their own business, but those ranks will not apply outside that regiment. In regards to the former Commander, she is just that, "former." UO tradition has the highest position in the Guards as being the "Captain of the Guard," and that is what it will be going forward.
Thank you EM Barnaby. Any folks that have a true and genuine connection to Umbra would be more than welcomed. Plenty of room to share! :)

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM Barnaby,

I am a bit confused, there was a post in regards to Trinsic now having a few guards now after the last initiation that are not part of PGoH and you mentioned here that someone could decide to take the oath for Umbra. So when anyone wishes to "swear in" to a town of their choice, right, they are allowed to exist independently as part of the RBG but do not have to be part of the regiment (or protectorate) that has already been established for said city? Can you confirm and elaborate?

~ Sue.
Yes, this is correct - there can be multiple regiments for a town or even individual Guards unattached to a Regiment. Literally from day one on Catskills I have heard concerns about exclusion when it comes to any Royal Guard system. This will allow for anyone to participate, and as the purpose is to encourage another form of RP interaction, hopefully result in some interesting opportunities. In other words, I hope that if there are multiple regiments/unattached Guards in a town that they can work together - I also hope that they can creatively disagree and even compete in some places.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM Barnaby,

~ Sue.
The RBG is not exclusive to any one group over another. Anyone can come in and be part of the RBG, whether they subscribe to an "official" regiment or not. No one "owns" a city, EA Mythic owns the cities. All cities should be open to all types of players be it RP, non-RP, PvM, or PvP. So for us in RBGu, we are a regiment tasked with the protection of Umbra and its surrounding areas but that doesn't mean we'll ever shut anyone else out if they want to come and RP out of Umbra as long as we can work together.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@EM Barnaby Could you possibly sticky this to the top? Or better yet... lock this thread and repost a new one without all the additions so that new folks can find info about the RBG theme?

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But if you lock it I cannot get in. And then what shall become of the RBGY? Tune in next month, same batty time, same batty channel.

RBGY is still around, they just concern themselves with matters of Yew and are really a bit bonkers.