• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Room for another rp guild or not?

G

is there room for another rp guild on europa?
who would be interested in forming or joining another rp guild and what would you change from the standard rp guilds?

G

Certainly should be room. UO has many things that other MMOs don't have, and those are the only things that keep it going. Houses, good crafting, but also still some good communities, with RP being a big part of that. And the more RP there is in a community, the better and more immersive that RP becomes.

I dont do RP, but im sure theres bunchs of new people at haven you could convince to! Unless you want to try and turn LUV into an RP guild..

K

Kayne

Lucy im sure theres bound to be room for another RP guild but be careful theres quite a few guilds dying out due to lack of activity and members leaving the game.

K

Kayne

I dont know about RP guilds specifically but my guild is all but gone, it suffered a lack of new recruits coupled with the ones i had leaving the game one by one.

Anyway if you want to Rpvp with the other europa RP guilds then you would need to follow the same rules as them. If not then you can have much looser rules to follow.

K

Kayne

My opinion there lucy is that the player base has got that little bit younger now and the younger ones arent always so interested in spending time building a character they prefer to kill stuff.
I also think that alot of people dont see the fun that can be had if you take the time to think about what you are going to say and how you might say it.

I think RP is great myself though i dont do it often

W

Winder UO

I've been playing this game for many years, and i kind of always found RP to be a bit silly. I can get why people like it tho. Myself i was in a rp guild for about 10 min before i forgot to type in character, and i found the whole deal to be kind of backwards and didnt suit me at all. It probably takes a bit of time to get into the whole deal, and with UO beeing as fast paced as it is when it comes down to training chars and aquiring items i guess people just grow tired of it.

G

The pvp is fun in RP so i cant see why there isent alot of em doing RP.

I

imported_Seasseragh

<blockquote><hr>

I'm really sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone got a link to details of the RP pvp rules? i've read bits and pieces of them on RP guild websites but i don't think i'm getting the full picture

[/ QUOTE ]

Rules of Engagement:

I

imported_Seasseragh

To not give a wrong picture:
- only some RP guilds adhere to theses rules (the WarRing)
- a few use less restrictive variants
- all rules are off in PvM and Felluca

and of course there are RPers/RP-guilds that don´t limit themselves at all.

Not following the rules does not mean we won´t interact with you, just don´t expect a fight

I

imported_Seasseragh

I know Rbl uses bows up to Yew-wood, just minor things like that.

Y

Yewish News

<blockquote><hr>

which guilds are less restrictive and how?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to discuss roleplay you're welcome to contact me on #74832864. I am happy to offer advice on the topic or point you in the direction of someone who can assist you.

That offer extends to anyone else interested.

I

imported_Coppelia

<blockquote><hr>

thankyou for the hasty reply! RPvp sounds very fun!

[/ QUOTE ]
But don't come to RP for PvP. It's annoying enough to have players using any opportunity to PvP ("hello my name is inigo montoya, you killed my father i kill you", "mmm sorry?"). As a consequence it makes other players very cold towards PvP.

Anyway, RP is about talking and talking most of the time.

For the rules I'll add that some guilds like to stay in RP gear to go PvM together.
And last thing about rules of engagement : they are very sweet thanks to restriction to gear available for any player, but powerscrolls make a difference. Because it's difficult to monitor and has been accepted in the beginning, it's too late to forbid them. But some guilds can help you to get them if you're not allergic to them.

As it's been said, the problem of creating a new RP guild is recruitment. You mostly will take players from another guild to come in yours. If it's not the character itself, it's the play time of the player.

P

Pothoz

Every Roleplaying guild on Europa shard follows more or less the same rules.. Rbl and Guardsmen Militia (Both from Yew area) are the ones using special wood..

Guardsmen Militia however, all those members have to work and gain what they call "Copper" to buy special wood items, using powerscrolls and such.. (Copper is gained through attending events, doing tasks and write reports)

But its up to you as guildmaster to set these rules. These rules aint CoRE bound (Community of Roleplayers on Europa)

Good luck with your roleplay guild!!

Best Regards

/Phoenix, Assistant Guildmaster of Vesper guild, Europa shard

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There will always be room for more guilds, but, like Kayne, I'm finding that my guilds are dying through inactivity. Many long-time players have drifted away.

When you form your guild you should consider that RP means different things to different people:

I can tell you the history of my characters. I remain "in character" when it comes to speaking to other players (except when dealing with Youngs). I don't LOL or d00dspeak.
I don't agree with strict RoE, which is why I have never joined a guild which requires it, but I can understand its' use.

Why not simply start by role-playing your way around the world in your everyday activities, and see what responses you get.

Good luck!

D

davehibb

There's always room for new RPers in the community but it's so hard to find that niche as a new guild, so many start up and gain a handful of members then sadly fade away. Or alternatively leech characters or alts from other guilds which only serves to spread the RP Community even thinner.

As Kayne rightly says there's been a decline in numbers in the RP community over the last 6-12 months. There's many reasons for this with the general playerbase declining, the game itself becoming more and more item driven, the luke warm reception to SA and the plethora of "better looking" MMOs out there, etc. etc. the list can go on and on.

All that said I had all but given up on UO 2.5 years ago until I stumbled across a BoC patrol and I'm still here.

Although the RP community more or less abides by the roughly the same RoE each guild also has it's own restrictions on skills and classes depending on their level of "fantasy".

For example there's Grd who persecute elves and mages to BoC who are more tolerant to the Vesper and Trinsic guilds that openly accept them. Along with restrictions on skills, weapons, special moves and spells etc. to try and create a level playing field in terms of RPvP.

As for why more mainstreamers don't get into RP i think the transition from going from playing as someone who can solo a para balron or better and who is a "leet pvper" to acting out a "normal" person from the medieval period with their fears, prejudices, hopes, aspirations and indeed limitations. From a situation where a characters armour and weps might cost hundreds of millions to someone who a hundred coins is a small fortune. Not to mention going from leet speech and smilies to full sentences and emotes.

I hope more players take a look at RP and hopefully enjoy it.

Good luck Lucy, you know I'm always here if you need help or advice.

G

I can vouch that raiden morana is a very nice and honourable man

K

Kayne

Did you ever decide whether you were going to try and build a new RP guild lucy?