• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Roleplaying a Barbarian/Savage?

G

Greetings, everyone! *Smiles*

As of late, I have been strongly considering the possibility of rolling up a new character, and roleplaying him as some sort of barbarian or savage. That would be quite a departure from the characters that I am more accustomed to playing (which tend to be more along the lines of flamboyant noblemen, self-righteous elves, and sorcerous meglomaniacs), which makes the idea of playing one all the more tempting (not to mention I watched Conan the Barbarian, the Scorpion King, and 10,000 B.C. all in the last week *Snickers*).

Of course, the only problem that I am running into, is that it is not the most commonly portrayed archetype in Ultima Online. There isn't alot of lore that suggests the existance of barbarians in the Ultima Canon (to my knowledge), and I have only seen one person actually roleplay one here in Ultima Online. There are the savages, which I am considering making as his people, but there is not a whole lot of lore around them either.

So my question is, has anyone else tried to roleplay a Barbarian or Savage? If so, what are some of the quirks you used and locations you built your story around? Is there any good lore for the savages out there? Any other general tips?

Thanks!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Greetings, everyone! *Smiles*

As of late, I have been strongly considering the possibility of rolling up a new character, and roleplaying him as some sort of barbarian or savage. That would be quite a departure from the characters that I am more accustomed to playing (which tend to be more along the lines of flamboyant noblemen, self-righteous elves, and sorcerous meglomaniacs), which makes the idea of playing one all the more tempting (not to mention I watched Conan the Barbarian, the Scorpion King, and 10,000 B.C. all in the last week *Snickers*).

Of course, the only problem that I am running into, is that it is not the most commonly portrayed archetype in Ultima Online. There isn't alot of lore that suggests the existance of barbarians in the Ultima Canon (to my knowledge), and I have only seen one person actually roleplay one here in Ultima Online. There are the savages, which I am considering making as his people, but there is not a whole lot of lore around them either.

So my question is, has anyone else tried to roleplay a Barbarian or Savage? If so, what are some of the quirks you used and locations you built your story around? Is there any good lore for the savages out there? Any other general tips?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that depends on the kind of savage you are playing because there are savages in UO and the tools they offer would really help the roleplaying. You just have to obtain savage kin paint and that will allow you to mingle with the savage tribes. I've created a few for RP stories, many as villains in events. They can cause trouble with the heroes, then retreat to the savage villages to enjoy protection from their tribe. We created lore on the savages which I can post somewhere if you are interested, but I believe you could probably find the old stories from when the savages were invading Britannia.

G

*Nods*

Since having posted this thread the other evening, I am leaning even more towards the idea of my character being a savage (as opposed to making up a barbarian tribe). I am thinking along the lines of starting him out that way, and while he maintains his roots and traditions, he slowly begins to break away in small steps while adventuring in Britannia (adoption of new tactics and weapons for instance; and possibly turning against Exodus).

Nonetheless, I am still very unfamiliar with the lore behind the savages themselves. I know that they were allied with Exodus, and managed to cause a great deal of chaos when they forced the orcs into a retreat. Other that that though, I don't know a whole lot about them.

I would love to see your lore on the savages, or hear a description of it. It might give me some ideas. *Smiles*