• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Roleplay-Heavy Shards?

S

siyeng0

Um. Hello.

I'm a roleplayer. It's a bit of an embarrassing admittal to make, and I feel like it should be followed by somebody telling me, "Admitting you have a problem is the first step." But hey, it's a hobby, and you can't really choose what you'll become interested in, can you?

I started playing Ultima Online four years ago for the roleplay, as the sites I went to made it sound like it was a game based predominantly around that aspect. (They're not called Massively Multiplayer Online Stabbing-Each-Other-With-Swords-And-Speaking-In-Chatspeak Games, after all.) I played on Oceania, which had its moments. Unfortunately, Oceania seems to be going through a difficult patch at the moment, and I want to play elsewhere until they release a MMORPG with an optional befoul-your-opponent's-corpse macro, which should lure all the problem players away. Now that I am going to be getting off the dial-up, I can play on an overseas shard; I don't want to move to a free shard just yet.

So, I was wondering - are there any OSI shards where there is a healthy roleplaying community? This is probably the most stagnant forum I've seen in a while, which is worrying, but I'll ask on the off chance that something is out there. I'd like to get back into it, and I'd like to stay on UO, so: does anybody have any suggestions?

S

Salty Pete

I have always found that I was able to bring the role play to me on any shard I have played. I just stay in character and interact as my character would to any folks I meet. Typically folks either fall into character as well or just continue on with what they were doing after enjoying the show.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Europa's always had the biggest, most vibrant RP community.

It's also pretty restrictive.

My home shard of LS goes through phases. I really shouldn't comment further, I'm disliked enough!

Great Lakes has had a lot of RP, no iade about now.

Same for Catskills and Atlantic.

Register for UOForums.com, check out the scene there.

-Galen's player

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
You can come check our PaxOku City and Kijustsu Anei Village on Friday if you like. We have our crafters Hall open and have a play every friday at 9pm est. We are not as busting with life as Europa we cannot compair... but if you want to help us out we will welcome you 150%. We wont be a big RP place if no comes to help hehe.

So anyways things start at I believe 7pm est and goes till 11pm est. Blue Light Tavern Opens after the event for drinks and chat. We try to get players to be in the city between 7 and 11pm

and if you like us I will even do the happy dance!! :danceb:

(Chesapeake shard, Tokuno Islands, Homare-Jima)

PaxOku City extends the entire road from where the houses begin to where they end.

Kijustsu Anei Village well you will know where your out of the village cuz it wont look so dark and misty

S

Stoutblade

Catskills still has a decent RP presence, although it can be a bit difficult to find. Right now I would recommend looking in New Haven, Olympus (just UO North of Trinsic) and the area just UO South-east of the Yew Moongate for your most likely spots to find random groups of RPers.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills still has a decent RP presence, although it can be a bit difficult to find. Right now I would recommend looking in New Haven, Olympus (just UO North of Trinsic) and the area just UO South-east of the Yew Moongate for your most likely spots to find random groups of RPers.
Difficult to find? Just go to New Haven and ask players. Or enter the words "united pirates of catskills" in Google.

S

Stoutblade

Difficult to find? Just go to New Haven and ask players. Or enter the words "united pirates of catskills" in Google.
I do not consider a shard to have heavy RP that is easy to find if you have to use programs outside the game (Google, ICQ, etc.) to find it. Although I do have a decent list of Catskills RP contacts I would prefer to try to find the RP organically rather than ICQing people going "Hey, are you RPing right now? When is the next time and place people are going to be RPing?" While I love the Catskills RP community it is smaller now than at any other point that I've played (and I've played on Catskills off and on for 8 years) and I don't want to tell someone who would be new to the server there are RPers running around all over the place when I've only found three at the most in New Haven in the week that I've been back from a six month hiatus (and I've been playing during peak hours). To end this optimistically, however, we are in the summer vacation season which always spells a gaming lull and the amount of RPers you would find organically right now is probably much less than you would find during the winter.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It takes two to RP, so just RP and you will find roleplayers everywhere, also on Siege Perilous.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I guess I dont get why any other shards would bother to reply. Like Chesapeake where I RP. No one seems to want a small or medium RP group and well its not like they are going to get bigger if everyone goes to the large ones hehe.
So what is the point?

This is my confusion so maybe someone can clean it up :)

You cant get bigger in RP unless people come to your shard but you arnt big enough for people to come to your shard to RP?

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I like the smaller shards better, which is why I stick with Chessy. The RP there seems more natural and less forced into a storyline that a large group can follow. You can interact individually with people as well as with the whole town/city. I'm sure that's still possible on larger shards but when participating in events and such I like to be able to see and play with everyone involved, not just kind of be swept along by a giant swell of people.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Well I hope you come see our plays on Fridays on Chessy.

S

Sleath

A slight chill was in the air as the first hints of the oncoming winter made its way off the bay into the surrounding forest. So many changes across the land, one could only hope that things could get better. The land has been scarred and has left many confused and scared. The predators of Sossaria have been allowed to feed on those fears and confusion. Creatures ravage the wilderness, roads between cities are no longer as safe as they were, and it seems that the only way to find big treasure is to take it from those who already have it.
You no longer see groups of travelers, meetings at local inns, or even gatherings to tell stories or create new ones. When you do see that random traveler in the woods, they are armed to the teeth with odd colored weapons, neon colored armor, and more often than not, they have an entourage of Greater Dragons or some other poor creature ripped from its lair, to do the bidding of those to greedy and week to get blood on their own hands.
The Gods have no mercy. They watch from their pristine positions, their minions pay homage by offering up their gold, and they do nothing. Only more destruction and death, while those who have toiled long and hard to make their mark, have long been forgotten and their voices are mere echoes from an age, long dead and gone.
As I walk through the empty streets of Britain, I hear the voices of those who came before. Once upon a time, when the streets were full of citizens selling their wares, offering up their services, and recruiting those new to the lands into vibrant guilds, whose interest were not hoarding gold, rare items, and loot, but to train, instill virtues, and fight valiantly with a purpose. Good or evil. Elaborate cities rose up in the wilderness and communities banded together in common interest. Over the years something has been lost.
What can I do, the pieces have been set out in front of me, and I am just a player in the game. I have been searching for others out there. I know they are out there. I will continue my search. I can still feel the heart beating of the land, although it is much softer than it once was and I have to listen much harder than I once did.

Sleath(Baja)

K

Krishna Jai

... When you do see that random traveler in the woods, they are armed to the teeth with odd colored weapons, neon colored armor, and...
Sleath(Baja)
*a tear rolls down his cheek*

M

Mr.Fernandes

Europa's always had the biggest, most vibrant RP community.

It's also pretty restrictive.
Restrictive how, Galen?

I am also returning to the game after a looooooong absence, and though my first instinct is to return to good old Atlantic, I am not sure of how active teh RP community still is there. Europa seem a bit more active (Baja seems intereting too going from the message-boards, but sometimes its hard to judge just how many people that really translates to). If Europa is where the RP is these days then, *le shrug* so be it.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Restrictive how, Galen?
Equipment restrictions, and they play in a very "realistic" setting.

It works for them, very well. These restrictions, I'll wager they don't even perceive them as restrictions at all. Their rules and practices have emerged from the shared understandings of the shard.

They work very well for them.

-Galen's player

M

Mr.Fernandes

At the risk of belaboring the point; I'm still not sure I understnad you. "Realistic" how?

D

davehibb

Europa's RP community, although it may not be as large as it was a few years ago, then again where is, is still very active.

There's varying levels of "fantasy" accepted within the community's guilds so there should be something for everyon.

I know my guild, The Baronship Of Cove (BoC), is currently gaining quite a few members from Catskills and Pacific at the moment so we do have a growing American timezone contingent.

If anyone would like to know more pm or icq me.

Raiden.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Baja seems intereting too going from the message-boards, but sometimes its hard to judge just how many people that really translates to).
I will admit, so that there are no illusions, Baja's roleplaying community is really small right now. Tiny, compared to shards like Chesapeake and Catskills. Minute, in comparison to Europa and Atlantic.

On the other hand, we are tight-knit and growing. I can't come along and say, "Hey, everyone! Come to Baja! Our community is the best." But, what I can promise you, is that in a year from now I will be saying that very thing. Its going to take some time. Some of the oldest roleplaying guilds are skeletons of their old selves, and were down to one player-run city, but were working on bringing life back to our beloved shard.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the risk of belaboring the point; I'm still not sure I understnad you. "Realistic" how?
I think each roleplaying community, atleast those that remain, has developed its own theme. Europa is very "low-fantasy"; with the focus being less on magic and non-humans, and more on emulating medieval society and customs. Catskills has a much more "high-fantasy" flavor; much more reminiscent of Lord of the Rings and Forgotten Realms. My impression of Atlantic seems to be a slightly greater emphasis on evil roleplaying guilds; with the Order of the Ebon Skull having been hugely influential for many years. Siege Perilous, in my experience there, seems to be slightly more slanted towards independantly-minded and sometimes conflicting states; its not full-immersion roleplay, but even the non-roleplayers and PvP guilds sometimes hop in-character and engage in the storyline. Chesapeake is slanted more towards balance; with a huge emphasis on non-humans such as Orcs and Savages coexisting alongside humans and elves. Baja has always had more of an emphasis on Rangers, Elves, and various woodsmen-type guilds (although, Baja is redefining itself as it comes back); with some imported evil influences from Atlantic (The Order of the Ebon Skull was a huge influence on the Dark Tower). Baja's current theme, as it appears to be developing, seems to be a little more slanted towards conflict, corruption, and mysticism. We also have some Orcs of our own.

I don't think any one theme or community is better than the next. They are all valid, and suit that particular shards needs. You have the opportunity to pick the one that suits you the best.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, I was wondering - are there any OSI shards where there is a healthy roleplaying community? This is probably the most stagnant forum I've seen in a while, which is worrying, but I'll ask on the off chance that something is out there. I'd like to get back into it, and I'd like to stay on UO, so: does anybody have any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Greetings,
I can only speak of my own experience. For over 11 years I have lived on one shard only. After last Christmas I was doing the usual checking of the gifts on the various shards when I happened upon a couple of 11 year old characters that I had forgotten on Baja and they still had the (young) status. Since I had never done any of the Haven quests I thought it would be fun to do so.

Obviously people could see that I was a young one and I had the occasions where I had to ask for some help, marking a rune, where can I find this and that.. you know, the newbie kind of thing. People kept checking on me to see if there was anything I needed.

I closely watched the interactions of the players and was nicely surprised at how well they roleplayed and how much enjoyment everyone seemed to have while in character. I started to realize that players were treating each other with a great amount of respect even if they were roleplaying a character of not so good personality traits. I was in heaven. It woke something in me that I hadn't felt in a long, long time. So I stuck my toe out there and started interacting in a way that was comfortable for my character and people actually responded!

From what I hear there are people on Baja who are in the beginning stages of rebuilding the roleplaying community and I think this would be a good time for anyone who is interested in roleplaying to come and join us. I think exciting days are ahead.

Yours in service,

Bucko the kid

S

Skada

I am a returning roleplayer-having taken a lengthy break from UO. I have not stopped roleplaying during this time, but am wanting to stretch out of the confines I find myself in these days in the current game I play. (A fair amount of disagreements regarding certain ideas of WHAT roleplay OUGHT to consist of.)

In reading the thread, I see the shards that once were dwindling when I was shard hopping for RP are now up again for the RP community while others have waned in their stead. From what I am reading, I see that my original shard seems to have had a resurrection of sorts.

I am a heavy roleplayer (I don't break character for OOC chat unless I am grouped somehow out of the context of the gameplay, i.e. guild or party chat) and am curious as to the types of guilds out there: military, entertainment, spiritual, etc.

I miss the towns and villages that could be created and last I played (Siege Perilous) I was part of a working town named Village of Myth. I am hoping to find that this style of RP is still prevalent.. is it? *raises her brow in a hopeful manner*

(I'm shocked actually that I could remember my screen name and pw for this site.. now to see what tags are under this...)