• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Role players...

G

What are we looking for? A place? A regular event? What can I do? What can you do? Throw some ideas out there. I know we all play diseperate times and what not, but there seems to be an almost desperate need for some sort of role playing venue.

Story night is wonderful but it alone does not seem to fill the need. Let's discuss and see what we can come up with.

G

Muahahahahahahahahahhahaa.......

I have an idea....hopefully it will come to fruition tonight!!

I

imported_Luka Melehan

Do tell!

I put up a house in Iantown. I am looking for ideas too. What do you crafters and RPers want? What would make your stay in UO more pleasurable? I am thinking not in terms of guilds and alliances. I am thinking about crafting and RP.

-crafter's meeting place?
-ROT meeitng place?
-a center area to play out the RP end of PvP conflicts?

Let's put our thinking caps on!

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

What are we looking for? A place? A regular event? What can I do? What can you do? Throw some ideas out there. I know we all play diseperate times and what not, but there seems to be an almost desperate need for some sort of role playing venue.

Story night is wonderful but it alone does not seem to fill the need. Let's discuss and see what we can come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]What is the NEED that
is to be filled?
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

Personally, I would love to see some rp battles. A castle siege would be neat. One group defends the castle, another raids, that kinda thing. The problem, as always, is outside interference.

I

imported_Luka Melehan

<blockquote><hr>

Personally, I would love to see some rp battles. A castle siege would be neat. One group defends the castle, another raids, that kinda thing. The problem, as always, is outside interference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's leave aside the outside interverance for a moment. What would be the logistics of such an activity within the structure of UO?

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]I am having a problem
understanding the concept of what you mean by rp battles. This sounds like
Major Jax's idea. What happened to those events? Why are they not happening
now? I not going to say NO to this...but, where is the roleplaying part of the
event?
You could just go and do a Champion spawn and get raided to achieve the same
event. But, where is the Champion spawn roleplaying...? It is not occuring during
the event! It occurs on this forum!
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's leave aside the outside interverance for a moment. What would be the logistics of such an activity within the structure of UO?

[/ QUOTE ]It is easy to
state the logistics of the battle. That is the HOW of the event. The roleplaying
is the WHY of the event. What is the logistics of the roleplaying?

I expect a returned blank stare!

You need a well thought out storyline which will naturally cause conflict among
the playing group! Beware, no one follows the playwrite's script!
This should never be artificial. It could be a story about any of the many
in-game conflicts. But, staging this takes time and effort...ppl get bored real
quick in this game. Cooperation should never be expected by the organizers.
The planning must deal with intrusions. Best planning uses the intrusions as
part of the on-going game.

But, more and more such planning will lose control. Mostly, that cooperation is
expected; but never achieved, will decay such events.

So, how do we get players to give up their self-interest to get them to
cooperate in roleplaying?

You are staring at me again!

It is easy to get players to fight over something of value they can hold.
But, how do you get players to fight over something abstract?

I am sure there exists hundreds of ideas are possible, but it takes cooperation.
*sigh*

Do you want to know about the Caravan game?
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

I posted this twice, since its the single question Ive been trying to answer since I arrived.

You know I get my greatest joy in UO helping others, maybe non combantant is wrong term for me.

I like helping thunters, gateing folks around to mine or do compassion, providing some company while training up skills, helping fisherfolks with bottles and baddies, dungeon crawls, shopping, gathering resources...you know simple random adventures.

I don't really mind champ spawns, but I do find them pretty predictable and kinda grindy.

I really do not mind getting into a pvp fight, but I certainly get no pleasure out of being attacked or attacking another player for no reason. At my skill level now I am greatly outclassed by the 6*120 whatevers that walk the lands. Speed is all that keeps me alive a lot of the times.

I play Rico as a simple wandering vagabond, I need nothing and I just like to help.

So where in the hell do I fit in on Siege?

JFR

K

Kat SP

<blockquote><hr>

I like helping thunters, gateing folks around to mine or do compassion, providing some company while training up skills, helping fisherfolks with bottles and baddies, dungeon crawls, shopping, gathering resources...you know simple random adventures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya! Have you considered maybe working with the NEW guild? From the info I see here, it seems working with new players may be your calling! Of course, I would think just about any guild could use a person like you as well. I know I could!!! hehe Come talk to me if you're interested.

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

You need to find a like minded players and form your own guild!
Good luck... you will need it on Siege Perilous.
As is, a single player is just something to be killed on sight.
Stop helping ppl who harm you.
I have issues about [NEW]... they seem to create those ppl who
would just kill on sight. But, sometimes they do some good.
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya! Have you considered maybe working with the NEW guild? From the info I see here, it seems working with new players may be your calling! Of course, I would think just about any guild could use a person like you as well. I know I could!!! hehe Come talk to me if you're interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. When I read your post Edward, I had the same thoughts as Kat did. You can always take NEW out on hunting expeditions and play as a backup healer. Trust me, it is something NEW is in need of. Most people in NEW are solo training their skills, there is no outlet for group hunts as there really is no ability. How can 5-6 NEW people get together to go out an hunt without any real skill? It is very difficult, UNLESS they have a reliable backup person who is keeping them alive and rezzing them if they die.

G

Mr. Yahaxithonix,

I have to disagree with you sir.

"Where there is haterd, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness; joy."

That is the start of the prayer of St. Francis and I do my best to follow it daily in my real life, there is no reason I can not do it in my virtual life as well.

There is no one here I would not help in game. That does not mean I am a fool however.

I promise NEVER to preach, but I will do my best not to compromise myself in the real or virtual world. St. Francis is my hero of heros.

*bows*

Johnny Rico

And do not get me wrong, I'm fairly ashamed of the first say 30 years of my life so I do my best to make up for it.

I

imported_Luka Melehan

<blockquote><hr>

So where in the hell do I fit in on Siege?

JFR

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my general thinking in creating a meeting place for like minded folk. Not to create a guild but to create atcivities for folks of any guild that wish this type of play.

Oldie, I will leave the staring contest for you and kelmo. *smiles*

G

So, how do we get players to give up their self-interest to get them to
cooperate in roleplaying?

I think if any of us had the answer to that question this shard would be thriving instead of decaying.

Toss in *guild tags* / *alliances* and argumentative sorts that can not see past players guild tags/allies/factions etc. massive division bells all tolling away for whom the bell tolls and it tolls for us all cuz folks refuse to get past *labels* of others, nor forget old issues they have to keep dragging up months years after the fact endlessly never letting go of their past squabbles or issues etc.

The only way this shard stands a snowball's chance in hell to get past that is perhaps if those whom are more into roleplaying whom CAN and DO get along with others beyond hue and tags come together to form an entirely new player run town together, built by folks of assorted guild tags alliances, thus a town combined of ALL instead of just one alliances town. A place then where the others of their guild and all guild tags and alliances feel more welcomed and would participate to come to because part of THEIR own also formed that new town thus wanting it to succeed.

A town built by assorted like minded folks of players in TNT KOC JSV and all the other guilds we do have allied to those three alliances or friends of/ and other guild tags non alligned, to any of three alliances, and form a whole new player run town without *iron curtains* of resentments and ancient hostilities built by those whom all DO get along, despite tags, and regardless of hues and tags and etc.

Till then, any roleplaying or event held in just this or that player town of ONE alliances team, has a snowballs chance in hell for anything to succeed; cuz this or that pile of peeps not of that alliance or faction then, will do what all they can to destroy it all and to be disruptive of *THE OTHER* guilds or alliances whatevers that it is that they hold or host or try to build for us all.

So only way for anything here to succeed now, if ever in the future, is for those whom CAN get along to roll up their sleeves together be they KOC TNT JSV their allies their guildies and others not even in any of those to build some new metrapolis, built for the people by the people of Siege, to host craft events, roleplaying events, to host capture the flag/ tower fights or whatevers, in some brand new town where buildings are owned by an array of all of the people by the people for the people, combined co operated efforts be some koc jsv tnt owned operated buildings all in the same town and some buildings owned operated by others too, outside of those three major alliances here etc. built by those folks that can and often DO get along within all these guild tags despite their guild tags. Recipe for disaster or recipe for the grand cure ?

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Do tell!

I put up a house in Iantown. I am looking for ideas too. What do you crafters and RPers want? What would make your stay in UO more pleasurable? I am thinking not in terms of guilds and alliances. I am thinking about crafting and RP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iantown Tavern Wars

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to get a Crafter Doom Run going on the Crafter Board. How many Blue and Blaze Beetles does it take to kill the Dark Fathers?

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Kill Kelmo 2

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOOHHH!! That was such a fun night!!! Kelmo, you up for it??

G

<blockquote><hr>

Jax wimped out and left Siege for a free shard.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like "Jax got tired of trying to hold fun events for people and having them ruined by 20k uber pets vs. 5-10 WORM"

That sounds more like it...

G

Iantown will never have a decent event again. Their emcee has left the building...

G

There have been quite a few of us thinking about Iantown area, and the immediate surrounding areas for some new lifeblood to be created, for this shard.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a new one I just have to drag her away from her RPing on Atlantic to do it

G

As long as you realize that I still own the townhall....

Maybe that's your first event! Siege Roo!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have a new one I just have to drag her away from her RPing on Atlantic to do it

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you honestly believe you could replace the enthusiasm of Delly with someone that you need to drag here?

C'mon, man!

G

Aye and one of my chrs. vet statues stands in Iantown Museum too, and some of Iantown's original IA buildings are still there, held by some of those original house holders still.

And not too far off are some GIL town homes, and some koc homes and jsv homes and tnt homes and older homes by others, in WC and beyond, and so forth, with lots of max secured empty plots out that way as well, to try build some cross guilded, player run LIFE on this shard again 'together', if folks would just co operate !

G

I'll get to ya tonight or tomorrow...right now I have to go out and make a bid...

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Delly was the best, especially during the Fashion Shows. Maybe the events won't be what they once were, but at least its worth trying!! Anything to get people out of Luna!!

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She is in the UBB with me. She was at alot of the Iantown events she even Rp a death Mute.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sean has all the Statues in his house near Wintermoore.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

She is in the UBB with me. She was at alot of the Iantown events she even Rp a death Mute.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kammie?

Sean moved the Iantown museum?? Dang, I have to leave the house more!!

G

I always attended the golem fights in Iantown, heck my lil tinkered wonder almost came in 3rd that one time till it was dirtnapped.

And and I did win the weirdo fashion outfit of the night award that time I came dressed as Imanewbie on Miranda.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. When I read your post Edward, I had the same thoughts as Kat did. You can always take NEW out on hunting expeditions and play as a backup healer. Trust me, it is something NEW is in need of. Most people in NEW are solo training their skills, there is no outlet for group hunts as there really is no ability. How can 5-6 NEW people get together to go out an hunt without any real skill? It is very difficult, UNLESS they have a reliable backup person who is keeping them alive and rezzing them if they die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup you sound like a great NEW emmisary, Shally you wanna chime in here.

I

imported_Luka Melehan

<blockquote><hr>

There have been quite a few of us thinking about Iantown area, and the immediate surrounding areas for some new lifeblood to be created, for this shard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, thats why I built in Ian. I have been online for 15 years and done ALOT of serious RPing and I miss it. I have looked at SL and some other places to fill that need, but I would MUCH rather focus my attention on SP.

Who's with me?

G

Build it and they will come.

I am simply hoping that by having more roleplaying type events or simple stories, it will drag out even more roleplayers to partake as well as perhaps lure some more to our shard. So I'm going to try and get some simple one-shot stories going and if anyone wants to join in please do so!

I've always viewed Story Night as a type of tavern night. A plain tavern night usually ends up with no one showing up, so we tell stories to have something to do. Tavern nights to me are the perfect opportunities for people to interact and roleplay, and I'd welcome (and hope) that people would use the opportunity to do so (without completely disrupting the stories being told). There is nothing wrong with, say someone coming up to Puffy during story night, slapping him across the face and saying 'You gave my sister the clap!' (Sorry, had to pick on you Puffy! =). Or a bar brawl, all with good intent.

I do not think a joint player run town will be successful or is in the best interests of Siege. We have several player run towns already, and instead of spreading out the playerbase amongst more player run towns, populate the ones that exist. Years ago the Shire was a great place for people of all walks of life to come together to present these types of opportunities. I'd love it if it could regain that stature, but hope that we can at least find a place like that somewhere. If you truly feel that a neutral site would work the best, an NPC tavern has worked in other lands. The Shattered Skull in Skara Felucca worked well on Pacific as a neutral site as well as the city of Skara.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Build it and they will come.

I am simply hoping that by having more roleplaying type events or simple stories, it will drag out even more roleplayers to partake as well as perhaps lure some more to our shard. So I'm going to try and get some simple one-shot stories going and if anyone wants to join in please do so!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a good concept, Bruin. People who like to roleplay, well...they need something to PLAY! Simple, &amp; flexible is pretty important when a lot of the contact between players is very casual/limited these days (i.e. we don't really have players having their characters "living" in player communities, spending a lot of their time doing things as a group in and around those communities, as an established presence).

-Skylark

S

Sir Ha-ward

Bah, I thought the title of this thread was "Pole Players" , ah well, guess i should read better before jumping quickly into a thread

G

<blockquote><hr>

Right next to Kelmo's tavern.

Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go figure !! *smiles*

Ye know, I was thinking about placing in that spot cuz Nuri is near by, but I left that one spot wide open thinking I bet Luka'd rather be here, and that tavern owner probably rather not have me as a neighbor. Ya know that chap has never accessed me ever, let alone friended me, into any one of his homes..pfft. So I left that spot that I had thought to place a home upon next to.. that man's tavern... open.

G

There is nothing wrong with, say someone coming up to Puffy during story night, slapping him across the face and saying 'You gave my sister the clap!' (Sorry, had to pick on you Puffy! =).

--------------

Whom.... let Puffy.... hold their sister ?

Whist he may be charming at times, I don't know if I would let him hold my lil sista

G

Aye that is in another thread... the Pole Players tale is under jousting matches &amp; dismounts.

G

I think you would be a wonderful neighbor! Don't make me get all Mr. Rogers...