• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rising Colossus with 120/120

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rising Colossus takes its strenght from the casters mysticism and imbuing skill. So today I tried casting it with 120/120 skills on europa.

It is so nasty. It gave me 44+ damage on each melee hit and it casts mysticism spells such as bombard and eaglestrike and the bombard spell stuns you for a short time. I am impressed by that spell when skills are maxed.

:D

Just tried it against a greater dragon, it did as much as 109 dmg to it in one hit. Took a couple of them to bring it down tho due to dispel and such. *thumps up*

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is interesting.
The ones I was seeing must be from low skill casters, since they don't seem to cast and they get dispelled easy.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We ran some experiments on Catskills with a mystic and a legendary imbuer.

Without going through the details on the tests, here's what we found:
A GM mystic (approximately) with 0 imbuing created a colossus with 80 in all visible skills. I forget what the resists/hit points were.
The same GM mystic with legendary imbuing created a colossus with 113.3 in all skills, 455 hit points, 720 str and 200 dex (in addition to the mysticism spell casting).

On a side note: mass dispell makes them go away.

Conclusion: colossusses rock.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info.
They should be harder to dispel being that they take 5 slots, 120 Eval intel, 120 Mysticism, and 120 Imbuing.
*ponders*

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did see a few failed atempts to dispel them by the greater dragon.
The skills for the colossus when caster has 120/120 imbu/mystic is 120 across the board.
Also it casts purge magic on me so all my buffs vanished in seconds. By far the best summon ingame. It also uses Armor Ignore special move.

K

Kiminality

RC is my favourite summon.
I lost my ethy llama to whatever that bug was, so I have to choose unmounted at all times with RC, or mounted with EVs.
I figure the benefits of the RC more than make up for scooting around the dungeon on foot.

90/90 and the thing is still a tank. Plenty of fizzles, but when it comes out, there's rarely a situation where it doesn't clear the room.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
the thing that I dont like is the short duration But then again I have not tranfered imbuing over yet .... not sure how much diff it will make!

K

Kiminality

I think the short duration is a bit of a balancing factor.
It bugs me to have to keep summoning it, but I find that when it's up and stomping, it more than makes up for having to re-summon it.

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The duration is much longer when you have imbuing on the template.

G

guum

This is a very interesting thread to me. I really want to make a gargoyle, so maybe a mystic/imbuer is the way to go.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
well my gargoyle has 101 imbuing 100 magery 100 med 86 myst 100 eval 100 hiding (going to remove and replace with weaving) 100 stealth (may replace with resist spells)
lol so I go out to test it and I forgot one very important thing ! My inteligence is only 26 lol guess I know what I will be doing now!!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All skills on the collosus are (imbuing + evalint + mysticism)/3 ... it's stats also scale so if you cast it with only mysticism, it is a little underwhelming (40 wrestling doesn't go far). But if you cast it at triple-120, it is legendary skills across the board and is effectively a summoner's greater dragon.

(the toughness *very* rapidly increases - EVs are still faster vs masses of small spawn, but against bosses, a fully-powered collosus is a terror to behold)

I reached 110 imbuing, 102 evalint, 83 mysticism last night (98 skill) and my gargoyle has suddenly gone from long, slow crawls of pecking away at things with eagles/rocks to "HULK SMASH!!" on just about anything that can't dispel it.

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I didnt hate that gargs have so limited choice in equipment (non medable necklace/earrings come to mind) Id have a mystic/imbuer/disco gargoyle. The Rising Colossus is strong...but against Discorded creatures it would tear up some ass:)

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I hate the non-med jewlery thing. Gotta waste a mage armor mod and a newly hatched gargoyle can't imbue that right off the bat right?

G

guum

All skills on the collosus are (imbuing + evalint + mysticism)/3 ... it's stats also scale so if you cast it with only mysticism, it is a little underwhelming (40 wrestling doesn't go far). But if you cast it at triple-120, it is legendary skills across the board and is effectively a summoner's greater dragon.
So are its stats, HP, and resists affected by eval & imbuing too, or just skills?

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything about the RC is affected by Eval,Mysticism and Imbuing skill...even the duration.

G

guum

I just played with a 120/120/120 Mystic/Imbuer/Evaler on test center, and I have to say that the claims of Mysticism sucking are greatly exaggerated. Rising Colossus is a beast -- I took it down to the raptor/skree/toxic slith area where I was farming loyalty yesterday on my necro-tamer, and it destroyed everything there. There are definitely drawbacks compared to the tamer -- you can't tell it to guard you, and it kills horsies and such -- but it is very satisfactory at legendary mystic/imbuing/eval.

Cleansing winds is very nice...32 damage healed -- less than gheal, but since it removes everything bad, it'd be a great and oft-used spell. Hail Storm is a nice AoE, although the radius seems quite small, doing 46 damage per hit against raptors with 0 SDI on my test char's suit. That's not a lot less than I was doing with wither and 60 SDI on my necro-tamer. Also, it seems to occasionally stun those it hits. Nether cyclone seems to do similar damage but have a larger radius, at the cost of more mana. One thing I didn't realize before is that both spells are targetted -- which does make it a bit trickier to throw off AoEs as you're being chased, but of course also makes it easier to AoE without yourself getting AoE'd.

As far as the single-target spells go, I was pretty underwhelmed. Eagle strike was doing a massive :)/) 18 damage. Netherbolt was only doing 10, but is basically insta-cast at 6/2, so that would be my preferred nuke. I haven't played a pure mage in ages, so I don't know how these numbers compare to mage spells, but they're pretty awful compared to my ABC Archer.

Anyway, those are the spells I tried, and I have to say, I think, not withstanding the kinda sucky single-target spells, that they're a lot better than folks are giving them credit for. Granted, this is at 120/120/120. It is, without question, a hefty skill investment. But I'm sold. Now I just need to figure out whether it's worth my while to be gargoyle. ;)

R

Radix

If I didnt hate that gargs have so limited choice in equipment (non medable necklace/earrings come to mind) Id have a mystic/imbuer/disco gargoyle. The Rising Colossus is strong...but against Discorded creatures it would tear up some ass:)
but... you don't need to be a gargoyle! ^^

D

Dain

So my gargoyle caster has 120 Myst, 120 Eval and I'm assuming that the 30 base Imbuing gargoyles receive is also counted.

That means my Colossus has 90 skills across the board?

It's still a pretty powerful summon, but I think with my temp; 2 EV are slightly better in most circumstances.

G

guum

So my gargoyle caster has 120 Myst, 120 Eval and I'm assuming that the 30 base Imbuing gargoyles receive is also counted.

That means my Colossus has 90 skills across the board?

It's still a pretty powerful summon, but I think with my temp; 2 EV are slightly better in most circumstances.
Note that there are several other mysticism spells that imbuing affects. I remember healing stone and cleansing wind off the top of my head, but there were others as well.

R

Radix

I lost my ethy llama to whatever that bug was, so I have to choose unmounted at all times with RC, or mounted with EVs.
What the ****! they should email all of us a week sooner when these things happens!!
I'd read this now:

September 19, 2009
All players should re-deed veteran reward statues or risk losing them.[1]
and from uoguide

K

Kiminality

What the ****! they should email all of us a week sooner when these things happens!!
Mine was a different issue to the news post. A few folk had a problem with the statues for ethies not appearing in their packs.
I guess it got fixed.

C

Cryltaur

uhm, has anyone tried to summon an RC while under the effects of Arcane Empowerment? If the RC is affected by AE, then it would be even more of a beast!

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was gonna do that, but havent gotten around to it yet, and I would need a focus 5

R

Radix

I was gonna do that, but havent gotten around to it yet, and I would need a focus 5
why? for getting a decent effect?
sorry, long time without using spellweaving, and it had changed several times...

btw, mysticism looks very mana intensive like a sw, right? are there more info about the mysticism spells in some place? (little stuff in uoguide)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually mysticism is much less mana-intensive than spellweaving - the costs of the various circles are similar to magery - my mystic imbuer doesn't even have any LMC - 100 med and 6MR keeps him going nicely.

(alas, I haven't been writing up any of my experiences)

G

guum

The mana cost of the spells, circle compared to circle is pretty much the same as magery. However, unlike magery, you'll find yourself chain-casting 7th & 8th circle spells, so it does seem pretty mana intensive to me so far.

So far I'm liking it a lot more than SW. The spells are about as powerful as being at a level 6 focus with SW, but cast faster and you don't have to camp out at the arcane circle for 2-3 hours every time you want to get your character going. It's a big skill point investment, but I think that's fair given how useful the spells are.

One thing I would like to see changed that I've noticed (no idea if this is a possibility with the devs or not)...mobs aren't aggressive towards rising colossi. If you cast a rising colossus and then hide or invis, the RC will go for a single mob, but all the other mobs will stand around doing nothing until you re-appear, at which point they will immediately target you. Do mage summons work this way? I can't remember. Anyway, I was hoping to be able to use the RC to cluster groups of weak enemies (like at champ spawns) for hail storming...not being able to do so is a definitely disadvantage compared to being an AoE tamer of whatever sort.

But meh, it's still a nice skill.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing I noticed yesterday doing the wisp spawn in SA. RC will not target summons. The shadow wisps would summon undead from their fallen and RC just stood there. I even kited a few around him and he wouldn't bite. It wasn't much of an issue to take care of the summons myself. I just thought it was odd.

R

Radix

EV's and Necro raised undeads usually attack nearest enemys on their own and are targeted (undead more i think) by mobs, tamer pets too, but looks like all mobs targets you faster and before than target any other ally.

Pets and summons are going more and more stupid and weak, dont mind they have 300 int they are stupid, if you say guard me and run in a spawn they always go to atack the farest enemy, and, if they can, go on to a hill to get well stuck (if they have arch-magery they should know how to teleport). After a guard-atack (a mob looks maliciously at you), always stay "stunned" a little, many times they remain getting hit and dont kick back...

Instead of that, all mobs are becoming faster and smarter, they target you like paragons (specially in the abyss), run like Ussain Bolt, follow you to your home and awaits for you in your door, cast 3-spells combo (while running of course) meanwhile you try to cast a 3-4th level spell with 2/5 fc/fcr and get interrumped 8/10 times, their prefered spells are poison, mana vamp and delayed "surprise surprise" damage.
And.. with Gd's nerfed, and all these loving creatures in your long abyss way, who is so insane to roam on foot? Specially solo, silver tree is not a close place, not saying with bad karma. (garg advantage for flying, suppose)

Well, i am not a crafter-cryer, i like the mobs smarter (not buffed, no stronger) and challenging, but not nerfing all our resources, say summons and pets, and for god-sake, can we go with a non vampire char for a while without getting poisoned each second?? Or they want everibody to get resisting in all templates like old times, 120 of course, 100 don't worths.

cheers
P.D: Any devs read all our complaints? ¬¬

G

guum

Actually, I tested it again with both RC and EVs, and mobs don't target them at all. I can stay invis'd for the full duration of either summon, and the only mobs that target the summons are the ones that the summon itself targets. I have to assume this is intentional, but for me, it reduces the value of a "tank" summon pretty substantially if mobs are uninclined to target said tank and instead prefer to bypass it and go straight for you.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has to be a bug. The RC is supposed to auto target nearest enemy or such. So as a hostile to the hostiles they should aggro against each other.
I saw this at beta too. Silver serpents were walking about and the RC was just walking around (they didn't aggro each other). What help is it then? BUG BUG!