• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) Rift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game was released for "head start" access for those who pre-ordered, on Feb 24, and officially releases for North America on March 1. I participated in the final beta, and purchased the game for "head start" access. The interface is a clone of WoW, and it is a leveling game with 2 PvP factions like WoW, but it has a terminator style twist thrown in, and there are a lot of UO reminders. Bards, shards, boglings, and the like.

Also, there is a dynamic aspect in Rift that is lacking in WoW. At any given time a rift may open over an area and it starts an undead invasion, much like a UO champ spawn where the mobs get increasingly more powerful. It takes a group to defeat them, and opposing faction can interfere with your efforts. If you fail to close the rift, the town or settlement gets overrun and it interferes with access for a while. They have it set up very well - when you get near a rift the game automatically starts a public raid group and you just click a button to join. Being part of a rift raid does not interfere with your normal quest objectives. A full raid group is required to unlock bonus waves in the rifts, and when the objectives are done, it automatically prompts you to collect your share of the loot.

A nice thing, Rift was designed to run on less robust machines, and LOOKS good. Like UO, there is one client worldwide, and if you are willing to brave the lag, you can play on any shard you want - either North American or Euro. You are allowed 6 characters per shard.

The game has a rather mind boggling array of class/ability combinations, which can be a bit overwhelming, but although you can't change your main class once selected, you can make changes to your role for a fee in game currency. You plug "souls" into your class to change it and souls have ability trees (like talent trees in WoW) that you can mix and match. At the level cap of 50 you acquire a dedicated PvP soul with abilities specifically tuned for PvP combat, and begin to earn PvP prestige.

I don't know how this game will ultimately perform for long term play, and I've barely scratched the surface of it, but so far it is very stable, looks nice, and is FUN!

Here is a screenie of my Rift Skylark. :)

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
apparently it's only ok for certain members of this forum to post about other games.

What a crock of ****.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Maybe, just maybe... We do not like your style.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe, just maybe... We do not like your style.
That's because you love my style.

Thanks for the reply Kelmo! I'm going to take this as an A-O-K to post threads about Darkfall. :thumbup:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm. Please note. One post to introduce a new game is not the same as multiple threads trying to bully us into playing another game.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm. Please note. One post to introduce a new game is not the same as multiple threads trying to bully us into playing another game.
You're right. So why was the only thread about Darkfall (it's expansion) such a big deal?

You don't have an answer. Just a whole lot of bull****.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh oh... I know.

You really really enjoy abusing the power you're afforded.

Good to know.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Petra...and yes those videos all look like they are related to Rift. I think it will be a bit hard to have class tutorials because of the dizzying array of combinations possible. For example, of 5 rogues in our guild, not one has the same role or abilities. Castor's rogue uses traps and throws grenades and such (along with some stealthy assassination abilities). My "rogue" has a pig pet, no stealth capabilities, and alternates between shooting a bow for offense, and playing a lute to support in large scale battles. (Bards in Rift can invest their "soul" points to unlock various types of songs that for example boost the whole party's stats or songs used on hostile monsters lower their resistances).

It seems like the Rift developers went to the MMORPG all-you-can-eat buffet and took small to large helpings from a bunch of different ones. For the UO crowd, it doesn't give us our beloved sandbox environment, and you do not lose items upon death, but to me it feels less restrictive than WoW for being a level based game. It remains to be seen if all the servings mesh together to form a satisfying meal in this new MMO or lead to a major case of player indigestion. It also remains to be seen how viable the dizzying array of possible class variations actually are.

Things I can observe that the Rift team has done right so far:

Server stability
Polished graphics
Surprising low resource requirements for a modern game, meaning better performance during play on older computers

One of the main drawbacks I can see is the initial cost to purchase the game is a bit steep - $50 for the regular digital download and $60 for the digital collector's edition. They do offer boxed versions as well that cost more. I would suggest anyone considering it to go with the digital collector's edition for the extra $10 if you can, because you get some nice in-game perks, such as a larger backpack, and a mount you can use right away (the CE mount isn't as fast as normal mounts, but you can't buy normal mounts until L20 and they are quite expensive in terms of the gold a person might be expected to save up in 20 levels).

Anyway, although I haven't experienced Rift higher than L15, so far I'm really enjoying it. Not in the same way I enjoyed UO, but it appears to be very well done.

There is my 2 GP. :)

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Petra...and yes those videos all look like they are related to Rift. I think it will be a bit hard to have class tutorials because of the dizzying array of combinations possible. For example, of 5 rogues in our guild, not one has the same role or abilities. Castor's rogue uses traps and throws grenades and such (along with some stealthy assassination abilities). My "rogue" has a pig pet, no stealth capabilities, and alternates between shooting a bow for offense, and playing a lute to support in large scale battles. (Bards in Rift can invest their "soul" points to unlock various types of songs that for example boost the whole party's stats or songs used on hostile monsters lower their resistances).

It seems like the Rift developers went to the MMORPG all-you-can-eat buffet and took small to large helpings from a bunch of different ones. For the UO crowd, it doesn't give us our beloved sandbox environment, and you do not lose items upon death, but to me it feels less restrictive than WoW for being a level based game. It remains to be seen if all the servings mesh together to form a satisfying meal in this new MMO or lead to a major case of player indigestion. It also remains to be seen how viable the dizzying array of possible class variations actually are.

Things I can observe that the Rift team has done right so far:

Server stability
Polished graphics
Surprising low resource requirements for a modern game, meaning better performance during play on older computers

One of the main drawbacks I can see is the initial cost to purchase the game is a bit steep - $50 for the regular digital download and $60 for the digital collector's edition. They do offer boxed versions as well that cost more. I would suggest anyone considering it to go with the digital collector's edition for the extra $10 if you can, because you get some nice in-game perks, such as a larger backpack, and a mount you can use right away (the CE mount isn't as fast as normal mounts, but you can't buy normal mounts until L20 and they are quite expensive in terms of the gold a person might be expected to save up in 20 levels).

Anyway, although I haven't experienced Rift higher than L15, so far I'm really enjoying it. Not in the same way I enjoyed UO, but it appears to be very well done.

There is my 2 GP. :)
It's a very good WoW clone with the one thing WoW was missing. Something their devs make no apologies for.

The biggest issue with the game has to do with the insane queue's just to play... which have pissed off quite a lot of people. People waiting upwards of 6 hours... not a whole lot of fun. Even if the game is.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So Kelmo... where are you at saying this is Siege and **** like this does not belong?

Is it because Skylarks a woman that she gets special treatment? You are known for giving women special treatment. I'm not surprised you're doing it with Skylark as well.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a very good WoW clone with the one thing WoW was missing. Something their devs make no apologies for.

The biggest issue with the game has to do with the insane queue's just to play... which have pissed off quite a lot of people. People waiting upwards of 6 hours... not a whole lot of fun. Even if the game is.
Fortunately they added 23 more servers (mostly PvP) the day of the head start launch, which really relieved that problem. I have not experienced any login queue on the server I play on which is one of the new ones. I think part of the problem was they didn't anticipate that over a million people would subscribe and rush the PRE official launch, then another problem when people felt like they had to stick with the shard they played in beta (even though all our chars were wiped). Our group made the decision to abandon the beta server because it was the 2nd worst of all for queues.

And there is no notoriety system like UO, and you can't attack your own faction. However there is a PvP "prestige" system, but it doesn't kick in until you hit the level cap and can obtain your PvP "soul".

The soul system itself will be a somewhat familiar concept to UO players, although instead of storing one skill on a soulstone and then swapping out, you store a TREE of skills on the soul. The main class you pick when you create your char can't be changed, but the souls you can mix and match can be changed. The class determines the library of souls you can choose from. You do quests to add souls to your library, then if you want to make significant template changes you visit an NPC and pay to have your souls flushed, then you bind new ones. I haven't yet had any first hand experience with that, I've just seen the NPC and the quests for the souls in the game.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh oh... I know.

Good to know.
Or perhaps its unavoidable for ANY thread you post in to not just end up in you berating or belittling anyone and everyone who disagrees with you (which usually leads to endless flame wars), and people have grown tired of your behavior.

If you made posts about other games (or any other topic) like skylark did, ala "Hey let me tell you about this game I am playing", no on would have a problem with it. But because you are who you are and you have to use the methods you do to "communicate" in any post you starts is an instant invitation to combat.

Of course I find it hard to believe that you don't already realize that its the TENOR not the CONTENT of your posts that people take umbrage to, and revel in the negative responses you get. Because while you may be a blowhard, you aren't an idiot.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh oh... I know.

Good to know.
Or perhaps its unavoidable for ANY thread you post in to not just end up in you berating or belittling anyone and everyone who disagrees with you (which usually leads to endless flame wars), and people have grown tired of your behavior.

If you made posts about other games (or any other topic) like skylark did, ala "Hey let me tell you about this game I am playing", no on would have a problem with it. But because you are who you are and you have to use the methods you do to "communicate" in any post you starts is an instant invitation to combat. - I did Uvtha and the first response was... this is advertising another game, it has to be against the RoC. This is nothing more than discriminating against me simply because the people with power don't like me.

Of course I find it hard to believe that you don't already realize that its the TENOR not the CONTENT of your posts that people take umbrage to, and revel in the negative responses you get. Because while you may be a blowhard, you aren't an idiot.
Yeah, I suppose simply not liking me is a good excuse for treating me differently. Discrimination is justifiable when it's against the people you don't like... after all.

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree, have to pass judgement with the same hammer.

This is no different then the orginal DF thread.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sigh*
Maybe I made a misjudgement?
Maybe I used this as an opportunity to promote TGN
Maybe I've just given up on Siege and folk poaching the players away for other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.